Please read before entering the forums...

Options

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    #1 Don't argue with people who think that muscle weighs the same as fat.

You might as well try to convince a flat-earther of the near-spherical nature of our planet, or a moon landing denier that it was easier to land on the moon in 1969 than to produce a convincing fake.

Having made the rule, and I believe it is rule number 1, I will break it this last time.

What do you think someone means when they say one substance weighs more than another? They mean that it is denser. What else could someone older than 2 possibly mean by that? What do nuclear physicists mean by "heavy water"? They mean water that, by virtue of having extra neutrons in its atomic nuclei, weighs more than the same volume of ordinary water, i.e. it is denser. Or are these PhD physicists ignorant of the most basic nature of the world around them, something even a kindergartener can understand?

Explaining slowly and carefully to someone that a pound of one thing weighs the same as a pound of something else is condescending in the extreme, and just results in two people thinking the other is stupid. Assuming that the people you communicate with have the intelligence of a mollusc is not the best way to make friends and influence people.

Why should I say "denser" to appease people who have a rigid and incomplete definition of certain English terms?

And I'm pretty certain you'd find a good correlation between the belief that muscle and fat weigh the same and failure to achieve fitness goals. Why else stick doggedly to such an absurd position, if not to rationalise another doughnut?

I think that might have qualified as a rant, but I feel better for it, especially since it wasn't aimed at any one luddite in particular.

I was %100 on board with this until you brought the Luddites into to it.

The Luddites were freaking cool!

But you are absolutely right prior to the Luddite statement.

They didn't want machines taking their damn jobs, that doesn't make them stupid!

Tip #69 Luddites were real, it'd serve you well to learn about them and their cause.

Tip #70 When all else fails, smash it with a hammer. :drinker:
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    In because Friday. :happy:

Also, I have to add, I LOVE cauliflower. But I eat it AS cauliflower. If I want rice, pizza, or 'buffalo wings', I will eat rice, pizza, or 'buffalo wings', thank you very much! :drinker:

Cauliflower is delicious, just should not masquerade as things which it is not.

Roast a chopped head of cauliflower with olive oil, kosher or sea salt, pepper, and cumin seed. Top with lightly salted plain Greek yogurt, fresh mint leaves, and pomegranate seeds. EAT FOREVER.

^ I thinkI just fell inlove with you, or at least yourn recipe (scramble for the spices " now where did I put that nutmeg grate?"

I can seriously eat an entire head of cauliflower prepared like this by myself. I think I actually *did* a few weeks ago.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    You know, I never knew there was a search topic thing.

I have been on this site off and on for 2 years. Awesome.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    You don't know me!

I'LL DO WHAT I WANT.

Jon-Stewart-Eagerly-Watching-Eating-His-Popcorn-On-The-Daily-Show.gif
  • Onderwoman
    Onderwoman Posts: 130
    Options
    #1 Don't argue with people who think that muscle weighs the same as fat.

You might as well try to convince a flat-earther of the near-spherical nature of our planet, or a moon landing denier that it was easier to land on the moon in 1969 than to produce a convincing fake.

Having made the rule, and I believe it is rule number 1, I will break it this last time.

What do you think someone means when they say one substance weighs more than another? They mean that it is denser. What else could someone older than 2 possibly mean by that? What do nuclear physicists mean by "heavy water"? They mean water that, by virtue of having extra neutrons in its atomic nuclei, weighs more than the same volume of ordinary water, i.e. it is denser. Or are these PhD physicists ignorant of the most basic nature of the world around them, something even a kindergartener can understand?

Explaining slowly and carefully to someone that a pound of one thing weighs the same as a pound of something else is condescending in the extreme, and just results in two people thinking the other is stupid. Assuming that the people you communicate with have the intelligence of a mollusc is not the best way to make friends and influence people.

Why should I say "denser" to appease people who have a rigid and incomplete definition of certain English terms?

And I'm pretty certain you'd find a good correlation between the belief that muscle and fat weigh the same and failure to achieve fitness goals. Why else stick doggedly to such an absurd position, if not to rationalise another doughnut?

I think that might have qualified as a rant, but I feel better for it, especially since it wasn't aimed at any one luddite in particular.

^ Why can't people understand what the question means in this case when there are plenty of other questions that are not direct either that they get. If you think about it, you can't possibly think the other person really thinks one pound of something weighs more than one pound of something else...can you????
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Great Post! :drinker:
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options

Also, I have to add, I LOVE cauliflower. But I eat it AS cauliflower. If I want rice, pizza, or 'buffalo wings', I will eat rice, pizza, or 'buffalo wings', thank you very much! :drinker:

Roast a chopped head of cauliflower with olive oil, kosher or sea salt, pepper, and cumin seed. Top with lightly salted plain Greek yogurt, fresh mint leaves, and pomegranate seeds. EAT FOREVER.

^ I thinkI just fell inlove with you, or at least yourn recipe (scramble for the spices " now where did I put that nutmeg grate?"

I can seriously eat an entire head of cauliflower prepared like this by myself. I think I actually *did* a few weeks ago.

Ditto! Except my spice of choice is smoked paprika - or honey and dill! *drool*
  • hteejay
    hteejay Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    By far best forum.. good job
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

#whatever number we are on: You may not turn a perfectly fun thread into an "I love cauliflower, let's exchange recipes" thread.
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My beautiful friend (who is also a friend on MFP klq0587) posted this to my wall on FB. This scale can only give you a numerical reflection of your relationship with gravity. That's it!!! It cannot measure beauty, talent, purpose life force, possibility, strength or love. Happy Friday everyone!!!!

Although I have been victim of becoming a slave to the numbers myself, it is not the number that decides your worth!!

This is the best thing I've seen all day. Where is my like button!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

#whatever number we are on: You may not turn a perfectly fun thread into an "I love cauliflower, let's exchange recipes" thread.

Oh, it's suddenly YOUR internet now?
  • _AwesomeSauce_
    Options
    Tip #25 It's okay to log sex as cardio.
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Options
    Tip #14 - no muscle is not heavier than fat.
    Tip #15 - Tea and Coffee does count as water intake

FIFY

Muscle is NOT heavier than fat, it is more dense. You also CANNOT build muscle while eating at a deficit.

Thank you...you beat me to it.

I second that...jeeeesh! TIP # --- A POUND of FAT and a POUND of Muscle, BOTH weigh...um...errr....A POUND!
  • rlynnehawk
    rlynnehawk Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Oh, it's suddenly YOUR internet now?

al-gore.gif
  • futurejedi
    futurejedi Posts: 111
    Options
    While a caloric deficit implies that you're eating less food overall, it is possible to increase your protein intake during a caloric deficit by adjusting your diet to include more protein-rich foods. To succeed in building muscle and losing weight simultaneously, consume 1.6 g of protein per kilogram of bodyweight daily. To meet this goal, you'll likely have to rely heavily on protein sources, such as meat, fish, beans, eggs and tofu. You may also consider a powdered protein supplement.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Tip # 21 - Broad beans are not food.

Um Yeah Broad beans are food - Uranium is not food!
    What's a broad bean?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    1200 is not too low for everybody.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options

OOP. I was waiting for someone to call us on that one. :blushing: Proceed...
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    <-- 1200 calories ! Suck it :P