Counting driving as exercise?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If your heart is noticeably pounding after your drive then yes, if your heart rate appears unaffected then no.

This is a pretty standard way of telling if something is exercise or not.

I dunno, this seems like a good way to encourage people to start driving like maniacs. I know my heart always starts pumping like crazy when I'm being chased at high speed by the cops and having to dodge all the other cars!
  • HeatherScent37
    HeatherScent37 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm a bus driver, so I must be burning more like 600 calories in 2.5 hours since I have to keep reaching for that door handle........
    :laugh:
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I think sex should be on the list. ;)

If you're wearing a HRM and can calculate. It's too variable to judge between different individuals. Besides, if you take a nap after it's probably a wash.

I was joking around.

But, "being too variable to judge" is pretty much every single exercise on MFP, isn't it? I mean, using a riding mower is on there. So is playing pool. The only accurate way to measure any activity is a HRM, IMO. I say this even though I don't have one (yet).

And I don't nap after sex. I'm wired :)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

If you're having sex for exercise, I'm pretty sure you're doing it wrong.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

If you're wearing a HRM and can calculate. It's too variable to judge between different individuals. Besides, if you take a nap after it's probably a wash.

"Honey, we need to go faster! My heart rate is dropping!" :bigsmile:
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    Uh, no. That's worse than logging cleaning as exercise. What's next? Logging typing as exercise?

Tired of this attitude! What folks log as far as exercise is entirely their business NOT yours. Have you ever actually done a massive cleaning session getting up and down off of a ladder, going from ceiling to floor, lugging pails of water, constant motion cleaning, getting into every nook and cranny for 8 to 10 hours without taking much of a break? I do. And I did and will continue to log this type of cleaning when I do. And before you can say I will be back complaining I'm not losing weight, I am currently 109 lb, two pounds less than my goal weight of 111. It's surprising how I got there considering I logged cleaning as exercise on occasion! Oh, and I also logged heavy cooking sessions but I'm sure you will tell me that lugging heavy cooking equipment up and down stairs, standing for several hours, making several trips up and down stairs, lugging heavy cooking equipment again, and so shouldn't be logged. Well, :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Good grief. Simmer down.

No. Just this past week I ran into this attitude where a couple of folks were actually deleting people on their friends list BECAUSE they logged cleaning. It comes up over and over and over again in the forums that certain activities should not be logged and folks are rather sanctimonious about it. Well, no one should be shamed because they choose to log what ever activity they want in their diary. If OP wants to log driving, so be it. The choice is hers, no one else's. As long as she is aware that eating back those calories may not be the wisest. For some, logging driving or any other given activity may be a way of showing themselves they are in fact burning calories. As long as it works for them, so be it.

Perhaps you should care less what other people think. Then, these things wouldn't bother you. I have a right to say what I said just like you have the right to log normal daily activities as exercise. Your bitter is showing, so chill out, because the only one here that's freaking out is you.

Oh no, someone just deleted me from their friends list. NOOOOOOO, MY LIFE IS, LIKE, SO TOTALLY OVERRRRZZZZ!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Seriously?

+1

I could MAYBE see it burning a few more calories if you were driving a big, old 5 speed truck in windy or icy conditions. But sitting in your automatic Camry rocking out to Fergie, just no.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Might as well count breathing as exercise too.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Uh, no. That's worse than logging cleaning as exercise. What's next? Logging typing as exercise?

Tired of this attitude! What folks log as far as exercise is entirely their business NOT yours. Have you ever actually done a massive cleaning session getting up and down off of a ladder, going from ceiling to floor, lugging pails of water, constant motion cleaning, getting into every nook and cranny for 8 to 10 hours without taking much of a break? I do. And I did and will continue to log this type of cleaning when I do. And before you can say I will be back complaining I'm not losing weight, I am currently 109 lb, two pounds less than my goal weight of 111. It's surprising how I got there considering I logged cleaning as exercise on occasion! Oh, and I also logged heavy cooking sessions but I'm sure you will tell me that lugging heavy cooking equipment up and down stairs, standing for several hours, making several trips up and down stairs, lugging heavy cooking equipment again, and so shouldn't be logged. Well, :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Good grief. Simmer down.

No. Just this past week I ran into this attitude where a couple of folks were actually deleting people on their friends list BECAUSE they logged cleaning. It comes up over and over and over again in the forums that certain activities should not be logged and folks are rather sanctimonious about it. Well, no one should be shamed because they choose to log what ever activity they want in their diary. If OP wants to log driving, so be it. The choice is hers, no one else's. As long as she is aware that eating back those calories may not be the wisest. For some, logging driving or any other given activity may be a way of showing themselves they are in fact burning calories. As long as it works for them, so be it.

Perhaps you should care less what other people think. Then, these things wouldn't bother you. I have a right to say what I said just like you have the right to log normal daily activities as exercise. Your bitter is showing, so chill out, because the only one here that's freaking out is you.

Oh no, someone just deleted me from their friends list. NOOOOOOO, MY LIFE IS, LIKE, SO TOTALLY OVERRRRZZZZ!

First off, it wasn't me that was deleted. I'm not on any FL to begin with and have no intentions of being on any, thankyou very much. It is the general attitude here that there is only one way to do it. Second, exercise is for fitness not weight loss so really shouldn't weigh into the equation. If someone wants to record an activity you don't approve of as exercise in their diary it is no one's business but theirs. If OP wants to log driving, then hey, why not?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Good grief. Simmer down.
    No.

MFP in a nutshell.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    If someone wants to record an activity you don't approve of as exercise in their diary it is no one's business but theirs. If OP wants to log driving, then hey, why not?

Well pretty much if they post it on a public forum asking for feedback they're going to get it. And that includes feedback they (and apparently you) might not like.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Good grief. Simmer down.

+1

I like you.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options

Good grief. Simmer down.

First off, it wasn't me that was deleted. I'm not on any FL to begin with and have no intentions of being on any, thankyou very much. It is the general attitude here that there is only one way to do it. Second, exercise is for fitness not weight loss so really shouldn't weigh into the equation. If someone wants to record an activity you don't approve of as exercise in their diary it is no one's business but theirs. If OP wants to log driving, then hey, why not?

You're not on anyone's FL? Shocker. You're so pleasant.
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

That shakiness after rapid squats, feel the burn! I saved a Maxim magazine article on how to workout during sex. It was a whole body workout and it took me a long time to be able to work up to it.:love:
    "Honey, we need to go faster! My heart rate is dropping!" :bigsmile:
    funny
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

Yeah - that's totally what I do! Obviously.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't.... Really? Why? LOL

Just like I don't understand why people log cleaning and sex. If you're burning major calories during sex, I am totally jealous.
  • MFPMol
    MFPMol Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Good grief. Simmer down.
    No.

MFP in a nutshell.

This made me LOL :laugh:
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Good grief. Simmer down.
    No.

MFP in a nutshell.

Yeppers :)
  • kconrad1712
    kconrad1712 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know that driving does burn some calories, at least moreso than sitting. I'm not talking about your daily drive from home to the store/work, but if you are going on a trip and are driving for several hours, would you factor those burned calories into your exercise? Driving 2.5 hours is said to burn around 400 cals.

So does sleeping and pooping and I wouldn't count that as a calorie burn. Your body burns calories 24/7. If you start to include everything as exercise calories you will be grossly overestimating. I would never log driving as exercise!

Hey... sometimes if someone's had a LOT of cheese the days before and started sweating... pooping might be considered LOL
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    I wouldn't.... Really? Why? LOL

Just like I don't understand why people log cleaning and sex. If you're burning major calories during sex, I am totally jealous.

I posted sex as a joke. That's all. I don't want to log it, and I wouldn't if it was an option.

For cleaning, I log days I do a huge deep clean - I log it as light cleaning so I don't way overestimate.

I think people should log what they want - it's their success/failure on the line.