Counting driving as exercise?

Options
12346»

Replies

• levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Uh, no. That's worse than logging cleaning as exercise. What's next? Logging typing as exercise?

Tired of this attitude! What folks log as far as exercise is entirely their business NOT yours. Have you ever actually done a massive cleaning session getting up and down off of a ladder, going from ceiling to floor, lugging pails of water, constant motion cleaning, getting into every nook and cranny for 8 to 10 hours without taking much of a break? I do. And I did and will continue to log this type of cleaning when I do. And before you can say I will be back complaining I'm not losing weight, I am currently 109 lb, two pounds less than my goal weight of 111. It's surprising how I got there considering I logged cleaning as exercise on occasion! Oh, and I also logged heavy cooking sessions but I'm sure you will tell me that lugging heavy cooking equipment up and down stairs, standing for several hours, making several trips up and down stairs, lugging heavy cooking equipment again, and so shouldn't be logged. Well, :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Good grief. Simmer down.

No. Just this past week I ran into this attitude where a couple of folks were actually deleting people on their friends list BECAUSE they logged cleaning. It comes up over and over and over again in the forums that certain activities should not be logged and folks are rather sanctimonious about it. Well, no one should be shamed because they choose to log what ever activity they want in their diary. If OP wants to log driving, so be it. The choice is hers, no one else's. As long as she is aware that eating back those calories may not be the wisest. For some, logging driving or any other given activity may be a way of showing themselves they are in fact burning calories. As long as it works for them, so be it.

Perhaps you should care less what other people think. Then, these things wouldn't bother you. I have a right to say what I said just like you have the right to log normal daily activities as exercise. Your bitter is showing, so chill out, because the only one here that's freaking out is you.

Oh no, someone just deleted me from their friends list. NOOOOOOO, MY LIFE IS, LIKE, SO TOTALLY OVERRRRZZZZ!

First off, it wasn't me that was deleted. I'm not on any FL to begin with and have no intentions of being on any, thankyou very much. It is the general attitude here that there is only one way to do it. Second, exercise is for fitness not weight loss so really shouldn't weigh into the equation. If someone wants to record an activity you don't approve of as exercise in their diary it is no one's business but theirs. If OP wants to log driving, then hey, why not?

You're not on anyone's FL? Shocker. You're so pleasant.

:laugh:

One time, I deleted this chick because she used hashtags.

I'm also fairly certain no-friends-Mcgee is referring to me. I deleted someone once because she was logging cleaning as 1200 calories and then boohooing about not losing weight when she was eating back all those calories (while using hashtags at the same time). I posted about it in that "deleting friends" thread yesterday.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    @agrafina - Quote of the day! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    No. Just no. Its like saying that I should count reading as cardio because occasionally I turn a page.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Is this post serious?

I guess I can also count typying replies to this post as exercise...
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    On a serious note. I use my fitbit all day long.

When I drive for more than 30 minutes I actually plug my fitbit into the charge so that it will not log.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I know that driving does burn some calories, at least moreso than sitting. I'm not talking about your daily drive from home to the store/work, but if you are going on a trip and are driving for several hours, would you factor those burned calories into your exercise? Driving 2.5 hours is said to burn around 400 cals.

tumblr_inline_n5g56nDpZ21qa43er.gif
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If you TDEE is high enough, then yes -- not 400 additional calories mind you.

If your sedentary TDEE is 3840 to maintain your current weight, then you are burning about 160 calories an hour just sitting around and would burn 400 calories while driving for 2.5 hours. Driving is a sedentary activity unless you are talking about driving a herd on a difficult horse.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

If your sedentary TDEE is 3840 to maintain your current weight, then you are burning about 160 calories an hour just sitting around and would burn 400 calories while driving for 2.5 hours. Driving is a sedentary activity unless you are talking about driving a herd on a difficult horse.

That isn't how TDEE works. To find out how much you burn over time from just sitting on your butt its closer to your BMR divided by 24 times the number of hours spent butt-sitting. It is NOT your TDEE divided by 24 times the number of hours spent butt-sitting because that would take an average that includes activity and exercise.

Also burning calories doesn't make something exercise. If it did then sleep would be exercising.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    If your heart is noticeably pounding after your drive then yes, if your heart rate appears unaffected then no.

This is a pretty standard way of telling if something is exercise or not.

Exercise does not necessary have to get your heart rate up. It is any activity done to improve or maintain health. http://www.ask.com/wiki/Physical_exercise?o=2801&qsrc=999&ad=doubleDown&an=apn&ap=ask.com

If you exercise your heartrate goes up, period. What exercise can you do that would not cause your heartrate to elevate?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    If your heart is noticeably pounding after your drive then yes, if your heart rate appears unaffected then no.

This is a pretty standard way of telling if something is exercise or not.

I dunno, this seems like a good way to encourage people to start driving like maniacs. I know my heart always starts pumping like crazy when I'm being chased at high speed by the cops and having to dodge all the other cars!

lol
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    General rule of thumb. If you have to ask "is this exercise?" then it probably isn't. If, based on your fitness level, an activity is "exercise" then you should know it when you engage in that activity. If you could practically fall asleep while doing said activity it probably isn't exercise.

P.S. Probably shouldn't test this out by driving in your sleep.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

That isn't how TDEE works. To find out how much you burn over time from just sitting on your butt its closer to your BMR divided by 24 times the number of hours spent butt-sitting. It is NOT your TDEE divided by 24 times the number of hours spent butt-sitting because that would take an average that includes activity and exercise.

Also burning calories doesn't make something exercise. If it did then sleep would be exercising.

Your answer is better than mine.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Uh, no. That's worse than logging cleaning as exercise. What's next? Logging typing as exercise?

Tired of this attitude! What folks log as far as exercise is entirely their business NOT yours. Have you ever actually done a massive cleaning session getting up and down off of a ladder, going from ceiling to floor, lugging pails of water, constant motion cleaning, getting into every nook and cranny for 8 to 10 hours without taking much of a break? I do. And I did and will continue to log this type of cleaning when I do. And before you can say I will be back complaining I'm not losing weight, I am currently 109 lb, two pounds less than my goal weight of 111. It's surprising how I got there considering I logged cleaning as exercise on occasion! Oh, and I also logged heavy cooking sessions but I'm sure you will tell me that lugging heavy cooking equipment up and down stairs, standing for several hours, making several trips up and down stairs, lugging heavy cooking equipment again, and so shouldn't be logged. Well, :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Good grief. Simmer down.

No. Just this past week I ran into this attitude where a couple of folks were actually deleting people on their friends list BECAUSE they logged cleaning. It comes up over and over and over again in the forums that certain activities should not be logged and folks are rather sanctimonious about it. Well, no one should be shamed because they choose to log what ever activity they want in their diary. If OP wants to log driving, so be it. The choice is hers, no one else's. As long as she is aware that eating back those calories may not be the wisest. For some, logging driving or any other given activity may be a way of showing themselves they are in fact burning calories. As long as it works for them, so be it.

Perhaps you should care less what other people think. Then, these things wouldn't bother you. I have a right to say what I said just like you have the right to log normal daily activities as exercise. Your bitter is showing, so chill out, because the only one here that's freaking out is you.

Oh no, someone just deleted me from their friends list. NOOOOOOO, MY LIFE IS, LIKE, SO TOTALLY OVERRRRZZZZ!

First off, it wasn't me that was deleted. I'm not on any FL to begin with and have no intentions of being on any, thankyou very much. It is the general attitude here that there is only one way to do it. Second, exercise is for fitness not weight loss so really shouldn't weigh into the equation. If someone wants to record an activity you don't approve of as exercise in their diary it is no one's business but theirs. If OP wants to log driving, then hey, why not?

I don't care what people log. If someone wants to log that they burned 5000 calories sleeping, so be it. You're wrong, but unless you ask, I'm not going to preach to you.

The issue in this case is that someone ASKED if they should log driving calories (wut?). The reason why people are telling her NO is because it's part of day to day activity. You can't decide you burned 400 calories driving and then decide to go eat 400 calories of food. It isn't significant enough to make a difference in weight loss. It's just part of being day to day life.

To each their own; do what you want. But people aren't going to tell her great job for that long drive!! When in reality, it doesn't make a difference.

I'm not going to delete someone for logging cleaning. But i have deleted people for other stupid reasons. But I do what I want.
    huehuehuehue
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb. If you have to ask "is this exercise?" then it probably isn't. If, based on your fitness level, an activity is "exercise" then you should know it when you engage in that activity. If you could practically fall asleep while doing said activity it probably isn't exercise.

P.S. Probably shouldn't test this out by driving in your sleep.

seriously, this.
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I saw on a website where it said how many calories you can burn driving a lawnmower per hour, yeah I don't even remember how many calories it said it burned. If I could burn calories with all the hours I spend on a mower I would need to bother with this site.
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Welp here's the winner for dumbest question of the day. Once again it was a very tough decision.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    I think sex should be on the list. ;)

If you're having sex for exercise, I'm pretty sure you're doing it right.
    FIFY
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Lmao. Now that's a GOOD one
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I'm also fairly certain no-friends-Mcgee is referring to me. I deleted someone once because she was logging cleaning as 1200 calories and then boohooing about not losing weight when she was eating back all those calories (while using hashtags at the same time). I posted about it in that "deleting friends" thread yesterday.

This is simultaneously funny and sad. Maybe ironic is a better word. :smile: