I hate protein drinks!!!

Options

Replies

• CoreyGDS
    CoreyGDS Posts: 10
    Options
    can use Almond Milk Unsweetened (milk has mire sugars), I actually haven't had a shake in awhile because eat mine. Protein flavours, theres tons of them Just look on Bodybuilding.com. I have one for post workouts, Oats/whey/blueberries, mixed with water and I freeze it. Its like eating ice cream for post workout. I also have a dish made of Greek Yogurt NonFat/Nut Butter/Whey, it comes out like icing similar to whats used on cakes, not as sweet.... Add it to cooking, look on bodybuilding.com again. Saw an article on there where they recreate some of the poplar treats/ice creams. For example tho, BB.com has recipes to make your own protein bars, carrot cake, cinnamon raisin..... I have preteen pancakes, just a few ingredients and I use protein powder in them...... I use Nuts'n'More Nut Butter (cinnamon raisin reminds me of the filling in cinnamon rolls), they have extra protein in them, also a bread called P28 (Protein Bread), I tried the flat bread & its good....it directed towards the fitness industry.

Some put it in the coffees and make a mocha out to it, so why not in a cold version. Theres also a a site full of Protein based dishes, I think its called Protein POWder?? Jen Jewells (Jen Fitness) reposts from that site and instagram theres tons....I make overnight oats with whey.....you definitely do not need to just drink it anymore & I can't remember the last time I did...
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Try BSN lean dessert protien. little more expensive but it does taste pretty good!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I use ARO whey protein and I like it, but when I am in chocolate mood, I add a couple of teaspoons of ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa powder (to my chocolate protein powder), powder is already somewhat sweet so it tastes like some good dark chocolate.

I also use concentrates from ProtiDiet, you mix them with water and they just taste like flavored water, there are flavors like lemon, orange, punch, etc. There is 90 calories, 2 grams carbs and 0 fat. The protein is hydrolyzed gelatin, basically collagen. These don't taste anything like a protein shake. If you search it there are various places to buy them online.
    I also should have said ARO is 15 grams protein per scoop, ProtiDiet is 15 grams protein per packet.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I use Vanilla flavored Whey protein, that I buy from Walmart in the big jug container. If you want you can make great smoothies out of it, but typically I just add 2% milk--stir in the protein and that's it.

Tastes like a vanilla milk shake to me. That's a replacement meal--I don't eat food along with it, unless I make a real small one.
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I use frozen fruit, 1/2 serving of protein powder, a little water or juice, then spinach, then blend it all together as a smoothie. The spinach helps you stay full longer. When I need a variety, I add mint leaves or artificial flavor, such as coconut, rum, lemon, etc. It's a way to vary the flavor without changing the calories.
  • uclaxtina
    uclaxtina Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I love to drink the Optimum Whey Double Rich Chocolate with Silk Soy milk. Sometimes I'll blend those two with a banana, ice, and flax seed for a fuller smoothie feel.
  • Rssblade
    Rssblade Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My preference is USN chcolate flavoured, use chilled water.:drinker:
  • fboyd91
    fboyd91 Posts: 6
    Options
    I've found peanut butter flavored protein powder, mixed with vanilla soy milk, tastes really good. I used to drink vanilla protein powder with straight water, and just chugged it down because it tasted so bleh. I can actually enjoy the peanut butter stuff.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    This thread is a few months old, but I'll chime in anyway. When you're lactose and soy intolerant like me, finding a protein shake AT ALL has been a challenge. GNC had a protein drink that was "bone meal" only and extremely expensive. No thanks, unless I know exactly whose bones are in that shake and the price decreases significantly.

I looked at Hemp protein powder, but it was a bit on the expensive side and didn't seem to have much protein for a serving.

Finally decided on pea protein powder, which to me tastes like chalk. I used Coconut milk and blended both with yogurt yesterday, I guess it tasted okay. Today I put some unsweetened cocoa power in the protein powder, mixed it with coconut milk, and it tasted awful. When I thought I was done with the drink, I ended up putting some water in the bottom because there was a lot left. With the water, it tasted much better.

I'd rather not drink it, but no matter how hard I try I have been unable to meet my protein with food alone, and I lift heavy.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Everyone is so fancy! I just put any old chocolate whey protein powder that has little carbs in some water with ice and go. Can't be messing around with shakes. What a mess.
  • losingforgood120
    Options
    -1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    -1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    -1/4 cup canned pumpkin
    -1 cup skim milk

PUMPKIN PIE PROTEIN SHAKE!

:happy: WOW! That sounds amazing.

I mix chocolate flavor protein powder w/ milk and pretend it's chocolate milk.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Any advice on how to make protein shakes taste better! Or is there a really good tasting one out there. I need to drink a protein shake to help with my protein intake as well as to keep me full longer but I can't stand the taste

I hate those drunks too so I make my own, I use Bluebonnet dual action french vanilla protein powder from Amazon. I mix it with a banana or raspberries or other fruit plus milk. I usually add a packet of Splenda as well. They're really yummy and not at all chalky.
  • Snookie2u
    Options
    This looks good...I drink Atikins chocolate delight, its the only one I like and I can keep some in my file drawer at work. I think I will buy some of their vanilla (yes I know its a soy formula but I like its vitamins and ease to use in a pinch)....but anyway, I think I could mix up some of their vanilla with some pumpkin pie spice and enjoy it over ice. Nice irea
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, do not drink it on its own!!! Most are horrendous that way!!!

My favourite is the chocolate whey protein at Costco (leanfit?), 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder, handful spinach, 3 ice cubes and blended in the magic bullet. Sometimes I add greek yogurt, PB2 or a banana.

I LOVE my protein shake in the morning - look forward to it and have had one almost every day or TWO YEARS! So filling!!!
  • KaleDOG
    KaleDOG Posts: 37
    Options
    I find plant based protein drinks taste the best, I also think they are better absorbed into the body but I could be wrong there.
  • megmarie81
    megmarie81 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The BSN Dessert powder is so good. I have a very strong sweet tooth and I really like it. I got the chocolate and the whipped vanilla cream and I like the chocolate better because the vanilla is a bit too much vanilla for me. I make it with unsweetened almond milk and sometimes add in PB2 or a tablespoon of malted milk powder. I mix with ice too. When I use just the vanilla I always add the PB2.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I mix protein powder (either Optimum Nutrition double rich choc or vanilla ice cream) in my daily snack of 6oz Fage 2% plain yogurt and 200ish grams raspberries and strawberries. Fiber, protein(lots) and a little fat, yum
  • red66stang
    Options
    I like the premier protein, strawberries and cream flavor. It comes as a liquid instead of a powder, so no nasty protein clumps.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    If you hate them why drink them? I just don't understand

It was recommended that I drink some form of protein drink to help me feel full longer. I only get 1220 calories per day and to get 64 grams of protein a day i would have to eat nothing but leAn meats because I can't do dairy

You only need 64 grams of protein and you can't do it without a shake? That's crazy talk. 64g of protein is 256 calories out of your 1220 total for the day. Anyone can manage that easily.

^^This. I hit 126g protein in 1241 cals (omitting my nightly chocolate from this). The 12 I got from the half scoop of protein powder flavoring my plain yogurt is bonus., pushing me to 138. 35 of those are dairy. Still would be at 90ish, minus dairy and minus protein powder.
  • zhou8759
    zhou8759 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My husband blends vanilla protein powder, orange juice, and ice. It tastes like an orange julice.