WTF is 'Broiling'?

Options

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I've never heard of that section called "plate" unless it's called something different in different regions.

The plate is where you get skirt and hanger steaks. Also usually the source of pastrami...and least in the US.

Ah ok. thanks! :smile:
  • smantha32
    Options

Every region thinks they have better barbeque. :smile:

Everyone thinks they have better everything. I always hear about "southern" food such as biscuits and gravy and chicken fried steak...which is mystifying because I'm from Alaska originally and I grew up on that stuff.

*shrug*

So how does Alaskan biscuits and gravy compare to southern? Unless it all depends on who's making it?
    That's usually the case as I've discovered. :smile:

It's a myth that all southern ladies are good cooks.
  • 80sFanatic88
    80sFanatic88 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You put the food in the bottom compartment on the oven, that's all.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options

Everyone thinks they have better everything. I always hear about "southern" food such as biscuits and gravy and chicken fried steak...which is mystifying because I'm from Alaska originally and I grew up on that stuff.

*shrug*

So how does Alaskan biscuits and gravy compare to southern? Unless it all depends on who's making it?

Pretty much the same as far as I can tell. Its pretty simple food. White sausage or hamburger gravy over baking powder biscuits. Terribly for you...but still my all time favorite breakfast. Comfort food doesn't get more comfortable than that. :D
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    In the US, the broiler is that segment under the oven where you keep your spare cookie sheets and other flat bake-ware. That part turns on when you turn the oven to "broil". Just don't forget to empty it first.
  • smantha32
    Options

Pretty much the same as far as I can tell. Its pretty simple food. White sausage or hamburger gravy over baking powder biscuits. Terribly for you...but still my all time favorite breakfast. Comfort food doesn't get more comfortable than that. :D

Agreed! Here I think I've seen them made mostly with gravy made with bacon fat..or sausage fat.
    It is possible though to majorly F up a powder biscuit. AKA known as hockey pucks.
    When you get them done right though, they're heaven.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    THIS is BBQ, because you lose your Texan card if you don't have one of these in your backyard....:laugh:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHJ8_MATf3I8QLyc5epvZDDmKUSm9VRXPmCJuTfcDR_LPFIF4rlg
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

*shrug*

meh, not all maybe, but my wife's buttermilk biscuits are divine. Fortunately, however, she doesn't just cook the coronary inducing version of southern cuisine.
  • amwbox
    Options
    In the US, the broiler is that segment under the oven where you keep your spare cookie sheets and other flat bake-ware. That part turns on when you turn the oven to "broil". Just don't forget to empty it first.

Weird. Never seen an oven with the broiler on the bottom like that.
  • amwbox
    Options
    THIS is BBQ, because you lose your Texan card if you don't have one of these in your backyard....:laugh:

That's another example. I'd already been eating awesome BBQ for a couple decades before I made it to Texas...and found it not significantly different.

Meh to regional cuisine.

On the other hand, Texas absolutely gets credit for helping to develop Tex-Mex. Not authentic Mexican food at all, but still pretty awesome in its own right.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

That's another example. I'd already been eating awesome BBQ for a couple decades before I made it to Texas...and found it not significantly different.

Meh to regional cuisine.

On the other hand, Texas absolutely gets credit for helping to develop Tex-Mex. Not authentic Mexican food at all, but still pretty awesome in its own right.

The difference is in the cuts, Texas is where brisket originates from, most other regional BBQ is centered around pork cuts of some kind, Texas BBQ is brisket and ONLY brisket, cooked in a similar style and can be served with or without sauce, though most will argue that a truly well cooked brisket does not require sauce.

As for Tex-mex, meh I like it if I'm looking for something loaded with cheese and grease, but I usually prefer a good Baja style fish taco. Green salsa and sopapillas with honey are the *kitten* though.

And you can get lots of good Texas style food in Alaska since there's a huge amount of movement between the two states because of the oil industry. My whole family is from Alaska, born in Anchorage myself. My cousin was born and raised in Alaska but came down here for her degree (A&M), before going back to Alaska.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

*shrug*

Baking powder biscuits? We call those drop biscuits in the south. They're good, but buttermilk biscuits are like the pretty sister, just that much better.

Buttermilk, lard (or butter to make them flakier), both baking soda and baking powder, salt, flour, and a grandma's love.

And gravy is sausage or bacon, milk and flour. Pretty simple and not that different.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options

Everyone thinks they have better everything. I always hear about "southern" food such as biscuits and gravy and chicken fried steak ...which is mystifying because I'm from Alaska originally and I grew up on that stuff.

This always makes me laugh. Driving through the states, some tiny town in West Virginia. I had never heard of chicken fried steak. I asked the waitress if it was chicken, or steak. She looked at me like I was completely new. I said I'd never heard of it. She asked me if I was a "Yankee." I said I was Canadian. She looked at me, completely deadpan, and said she'd never heard of it.

To this day I just hope she was kidding.
  • amwbox
    Options

*shrug*

Baking powder biscuits? We call those drop biscuits in the south. They're good, but buttermilk biscuits are like the pretty sister, just that much better.

Buttermilk, lard (or butter to make them flakier), both baking soda and baking powder, salt, flour, and a grandma's love.

And gravy is sausage or bacon, milk and flour. Pretty simple and not that different.

Well, you use baking soda if you happen to have buttermilk on hand. Otherwise, baking powder. That's just the chemistry of it. I think what really matters is the technique, to keep them light and flaky.

Drop biscuits are just spooned onto the cooking surface usually. What we did was the usual cut out with a biscuit cutter thing. Looked more like this:

biscuits_450w1.jpg
  • amwbox
    Options

Everyone thinks they have better everything. I always hear about "southern" food such as biscuits and gravy and chicken fried steak ...which is mystifying because I'm from Alaska originally and I grew up on that stuff.

This always makes me laugh. Driving through the states, some tiny town in West Virginia. I had never heard of chicken fried steak. I asked the waitress if it was chicken, or steak. She looked at me like I was completely new. I said I'd never heard of it. She asked me if I was a "Yankee." I said I was Canadian. She looked at me, completely deadpan, and said she'd never heard of it.

There are some ugly stereotypes about the Appalachians. That said, I find it hard to believe anyone hasn't heard of Canada.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

There are some ugly stereotypes about the Appalachians. That said, I find it hard to believe anyone hasn't heard of Canada.

One of my co-workers had a student, a senior in high-school, who couldn't identify North America on a map and thought Texas was a country, not a state. She argued with him for several minutes about it. I've had several students in my senior level aquatic science class that couldn't properly identify the oceans..... small town West Virginia, altogether possible she has truly never heard of Canada.
  • kikityme
    Options
    Nah, I think she was just being awesome. Seriously, 12 years later and I still tell that story. That was the trip of a lifetime for sure. 3 months. Sleeping in the car, just driving and stopping when we wanted.

America is pretty damn awesome.

But seriously-is it chicken, or steak?
  • amwbox
    Options
    Nah, I think she was just being awesome. Seriously, 12 years later and I still tell that story. That was the trip of a lifetime for sure. 3 months. Sleeping in the car, just driving and stopping when we wanted.

America is pretty damn awesome.

But seriously-is it chicken, or steak?

Its beef. Usually round steak, hammered or cubed, battered and deep fried, or breaded and pan fried. My favorite version is flour, then egg, then seasoned cracker meal, and pan fried in butter. Topped with white gravy. Serious heart attack on a plate stuff, but yummy.

Its actually a direct descendant of classic Wiener Schnitzel. German immigrants brought it with them.

Called chicken fried steak because its often breaded and fried as if its chicken.
  • kikityme
    Options
    Thanks! I didn't eat it, cause I wasn't so much into mystery meat when I didn't know where the nearest hospital was! I never did understand the fascination with white gravy, and that stuff is on EVERYTHING in like, 4 states!
  • amwbox
    Options
    Thanks! I didn't eat it, cause I wasn't so much into mystery meat when I didn't know where the nearest hospital was! I never did understand the fascination with white gravy, and that stuff is on EVERYTHING in like, 4 states!

Well, the white gravy is actually pretty much Bechemel sauce. So, if you think about it...the lowly chicken fried steak is actually snooty French-German fusion cuisine. :)

Food history is fun. I did a year of culinary school in another life, and I was endlessly fascinated by all of this.