If it's as simple as calories in vs calories out....

Options
How come I didn't lose weight when I ate 945 calories? And here's the real kicker: I had weight loss surgery that makes me only absorb 20% fat, 60% protein, 60% complex carbs. So my absorbed calories was closer to 400. And I gained a pound. This is the regular thing for me - eat less than 1,600, I gain or don't lose. Eat more, I lose. I see people post all the damn time that it's as simple as calories in VS calories out. My BMR is 2,000 cals a day. So if I eat less than 2,000 absorbable calories, by that statement I should lose weight. But I do not when I drop too low.

Soooo....maybe it's not that simple. Just sayin'

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It takes more than a day or two.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    To lose weight It is that simple. Otherwise there would be no pictures of starving children in Africa. There would be no pictures of emaciated ED sufferers. The Majority of people who say they are eating '1000' calories and not losing weight when you dig deeper you find that they are eating far more than they say they are due to inaccurate logging and mistakes etc.

There are a few metabolic disorders that mean people do have problems losing weight but those are pretty rare. Though according to some people on MFP it seems 90% of people have these things wrong with them. As for your pound weight gain well that could just be some normal fluctuation due to water etc as most peoples weight can vary up to 5 pounds a day due to this.

As for your personal situation looking at your diary the day you say you ate 945 calories I would bet you ate more as the way you have logged it is pretty inaccurate. Cups are not accurate for solids so you need to weigh those. Other peoples generic recipes will not be accurate to yours.

As for your medical issues I cannot comment as I know very little about that. I would ask that why on the day that you say you only ate 945 why did you think that was sufficient?

So yes weightloss for the majority of the population is as simple as calories in and calories out. For overall health though it is best to make sure those calories supply the correct nutrition and a good mixture of vitamins,minerals, Carbs fat and protein to keep healthy.

You may find this link useful to make your logging more accurate

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

Good luck
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

sn0vnm.gif
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I should explain-- I'm guessing since one calorie level (945?) and one gain (one lb.) was mentioned, we were talking one or maybe two days. The body is not that predictable.

I agree with asking your doctor.

This part here sounds like a dream situation, and am surprised someone with this 'problem' would choose WLS: "This is the regular thing for me - eat less than 1,600, I gain or don't lose. Eat more, I lose."
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Weight loss surgery is handled differently than someone who doesn't need it, and is losing weight without surgery. In this class we are all required to eat 1200 calories a day, otherwise we go into what is known as starvation mode. Meaning any calories that we eat are turned into fat, our metabolic rate slows down making it harder to lose weight.

If you just had surgery, and your doctor has put you on a specific diet, I would stick with it, until he/she tells you otherwise. You are eating less calories--because your stomach has been reduced to a small pouch--whereas the rest of us are still dealing with a full sized stomach. Your surgery was to keep you from getting hungry, you're full after a couple of bites--whereas the rest of us aren't.

So stick with what diet your doctor wants you on, don't up your calorie intake based upon a sudden weight gain or loss--otherwise your surgery may not work. You definitely don't want to expand your stomach--(which it will do) by ignoring your doctors advise and eating more.

A great show for you to download on your computer--is my 600 pound life, and watch the show called Penny who refused to do as her doctor wished.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    How come I didn't lose weight when I ate 945 calories? And here's the real kicker: I had weight loss surgery that makes me only absorb 20% fat, 60% protein, 60% complex carbs. So my absorbed calories was closer to 400. And I gained a pound. This is the regular thing for me - eat less than 1,600, I gain or don't lose. Eat more, I lose. I see people post all the damn time that it's as simple as calories in VS calories out. My BMR is 2,000 cals a day. So if I eat less than 2,000 absorbable calories, by that statement I should lose weight. But I do not when I drop too low.

If what you're saying is true for you, weight loss surgery doesn't seem like it was a good idea :/
  • susanw0611
    susanw0611 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it is that simple. I have the same problem as you do. I eat far less than I ought to. This is mainly due to some extreme stress I went through several years ago. At first I was losing weight like crazy. It was great. But now, I have dealt with that major stress in my life and I'm down to "normal" stress, I still don't eat very much (I tend to simply forget to eat) yet I am no longer losing weight. In fact, I have put on a few pounds judging from how my clothes fit
    Metabolism has a huge role to play in how many calories our body needs and therefore, how may calories it will take to lose more weight.
    I know this pattern is bad for me (and you I'm sure) which is why I have this tracking app on m phone. I am trying to be in the frame of mind that says when I do eat, make it something healthy; make it something that will be a benefit to my body.
    It's a strange predicament to be in I think, and a rough one to overcome. I really think tracking meals will help a lot.
    Good Luck!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You had weight loss surgery. Obviously you are going to have other factors impacting the energy balance equation than people without medical issues on both the calories in and calories out sides. That doesn't make calories in vs calories out any less true.
  • lyrics09
    lyrics09 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm rather new here but I like to creep and read what others post since often its of some value. I'll say what at least is working for me.

You will lose weight with that big of a deficit but its going to be VERY slow and its probably very unsatisfying (in many ways). You don't "gain weight" off a true 1200 calories.... You can't create matter out of nothing. I was eating like 1000 calories at first, sometimes lower, thinking that's what I had to do-- but I was creeping along (even going back up) in the 'loss' category'.

Some of the 'weight' you see isn't actually real lbs. Eating 945 calories, no way will make you gain a lb in a day. You probably had too much sodium and retained more water than normal. You should be drinking 140oz a day from what I've gathered on here and others and keeping my sodium below that suggested amount as much as possible (If I go over I drink more water). Sometimes on these hot summer days some water will stick around but it isn't much as it was before.

You need to bump up your calorie intake so that your body can have fuel to actually burn the weight. I bumped mine to 1500 on non work out days and 1650-1700 (ish) for work out days and already 1 week of that change and I've lost 3 lbs this week. Your 'sweet numbers' can be different, and probably are. I've read on here many success stories at all different amounts, just have to keep messing with it till you find it. I'm sure there's a better number for me too, I'm new so still working on it.

Make sure you're tracking your food correctly as well. Track everything-- salt, pepper, butter, any seasonings, sauces etc. They all add up real fast. Anything you put in your mouth try and find it on the database to add in. Make sure the weights/proportions are correct as well you may be eating more than you think. I'm still working on being OCD about sizes atm. And you can work in good treats/snacks you don't want to give up but don't make your whole day 1500 calories of chocolate etc. Try and balance in veggies in every meal, get fiber, and LOTS of protein.

Try and add in strength and cardio 3 times a week even if its around your house or something. Could definitely help. (Diet is the more important part to losing weight though).

Most important thing I learned was that it takes time. It doesn't happen over night. I got real bummed multiple times but just stay positive. As long as you took to gain the weight its going to take it to come off (or more). Its more of a lifestyle and journey more than anything and it takes patience of a saint. I'm only a month in and got a ways to go.

Now I'm not 100% sure on how the surgery factors but from how you describe it " makes me only absorb 20% fat, 60% protein, 60% complex carbs" sounds like you'd need to eat actually more in order to absorb your actual goal if your absorption is cut by more than half. Maybe someone has a similar experience to help on that front but you definitely shouldn't be living on 900 calories/day.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Weight loss surgery is handled differently than someone who doesn't need it, and is losing weight without surgery. In this class we are all required to eat 1200 calories a day, otherwise we go into what is known as starvation mode. Meaning any calories that we eat are turned into fat, our metabolic rate slows down making it harder to lose weight.

If you just had surgery, and your doctor has put you on a specific diet, I would stick with it, until he/she tells you otherwise. You are eating less calories--because your stomach has been reduced to a small pouch--whereas the rest of us are still dealing with a full sized stomach. Your surgery was to keep you from getting hungry, you're full after a couple of bites--whereas the rest of us aren't.

So stick with what diet your doctor wants you on, don't up your calorie intake based upon a sudden weight gain or loss--otherwise your surgery may not work. You definitely don't want to expand your stomach--(which it will do) by ignoring your doctors advise and eating more.

A great show for you to download on your computer--is my 600 pound life, and watch the show called Penny who refused to do as her doctor wished.
    Come on now. You couldn't be more wrong. So somehow our bodies are magically going to convert all the calories we eat into fat. Do you even realize how little sense that makes as you read me write it??

lol at "any calories that we eat turn into fat" I literally laughed out loud.

:laugh:
  • catecholamine
    catecholamine Posts: 71 Member
    Options

If what you're saying is true for you, weight loss surgery doesn't seem like it was a good idea :/
    I'm talking about AFTER WLS. Before WLS, I ate 1,200 cals a day to lose weight pre-op and it worked.
  • catecholamine
    Options
    And btw, anyone saying I'm lying about what's in my log...nope. Remember, I can't eat very much. It's not like I'm secretly stuffing myself with oreos. I can't. My butt would explode. There are consequences for high sugar or high carb with my WLS.

My nutritionist recommended 900 calories a day. Of course, that's ****ing stupid because everything on the internet and all the people with the surgery I had recommend much more. I am supposed to be getting 100-120g protein a day. Yesterday was a **** day for me. I didn't eat much and that was a mistake. Maybe the weight gain is water from my muscle being broken down, who knows? I just know that if calories in vs calories out was so universally true, I should be dropping a lot more weight.
    I log everything
    Every sauce. Even spices in the recipes I make.
  • catecholamine
    Options

I'm talking about AFTER WLS. Before WLS, I ate 1,200 cals a day to lose weight pre-op and it worked.
    What did your doctor say?
    The doctor knows nothing of nutrition, so refers me to a nutritionist.
    Who, incidentally, knows little of nutrition about my surgery, Duodenal Switch.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    A calories is a calorie.

If not tell me how the heck I lost 22 pounds?
  • catecholamine
    Options
    A calories is a calorie.

If not tell me how the heck I lost 22 pounds?
    No one debated a calorie = a calorie. Only that I frequently eat way below my BMR and do not lose or lose very slow. I ate 900 calories a day for a month. Lost 10lbs. Ate 1,500-2,000 for a month with no change in exercise. Lost 17lbs.
    I've lost 70lbs.
  • lyrics09
    lyrics09 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    How long ago was your surgery? Maybe your body is still in recovery/adjustment mode if its pretty recent. And I wasn't inferring you were lying about your log, just stating what commonly happens and it could be something you didn't realize (aka covering the bases). If you aren't eating enough to actually gain weight then its not going to be real weight.

It takes some time. You won't magically wake up and be 10-15 lbs less because of a surgery paired with 900-1000 calories. From the very little that I just looked up on WLS:

"Lose weight for 18-24 months after the procedure

Lose 30-50% of excess weight in the first six months and 77% of excess weight within 12 months of surgery

Maintain a 50-60% loss of excess weight 10-14 years after surgery"

^That's quite a bit of time to see results. (Like with most anything). Does your doctor say when you can see results/changes, what to expect or commonly when?

Edit: 70lbs is a big deal/accomplishment to have lost so far.