If it's as simple as calories in vs calories out....

Options

Replies

• LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Um, are you stupid or something? Yes, it does cause me to malabsorb nutrients. That's like, the whole purpose of Duodenal Switch. They change where your digestive juices come in to come in at the end of the small intestines so food isn't broken down and macros aren't absorbed. Google it.
    Fat malabsorption is so much that I have to take megadoses of fat soluable vitamins. I take 50,000iu of Vitamin D a day, for instance.

Wow. You sound charming.
    Well, she calls me a liar and tells me I'm gorging myself and not logging. She sounded real charming too.

From reading all your posts in this thread you sound very angry with quite the attitude. What was the point of starting it? A rant perhaps? Or sympathy? Can't figure it out.
    I would say it's pretty obvious.
    If it was as simple as people claim, only calories in VS calories out, I would be losing massive amounts of weight.
    I physically can't gorge myself. Which means I'm unlikely to be lying in any major way on my diary. When I eat less, I lose less. When I eat more, I lose more. So if it was as simple as calories in VS calories out, how does that make any sense?

Ok I just looked through your diary and like I said you have cheated your body with this dumb surgery...you wanted a quick fix but you didnt want to change your habits

I see multiple taco bell/mcdonalds/fast food/fried foods/processed foods

one day you went to taco bell twice AND mcdonalds

Hell I am all for moderation and dont get me wrong I love the occasional fast food product.

Surgery is supposed to be a tool to get you on your way to learning and practising better habits and your not. So no wonder you are not losing, most days you eat like ****

that can add up. No wonder the nutritionist "knows nothing" she is probably recommending healthy foods that will give you the most nutritional; bang for the portion and you arent trying to hear that are you?

Geuss what? A moment on the lips a lifetime on the hips, eventually you stomach will adjust too its new self and because you havnt learned or listened the lbs will creep back on again.

Enjoy your crap food.
    You're an idiot. I eat a high fat, high protein diet. Because I absorb 20% fat and 60% protein. I will eat a McDonalds burger without the bun. Or a single taco, and that's my carb splurge for the day (at 11 carbs). It's protein. I need protein. 150g fat = 30g absorbed. Without it, I can't absorb my vitamins, my hair gets dry and brittle, my skin dries out and flakes, I get acne, and I feel horrible.
    The hilarious part of this whole thing is. You call the person above an idiot but yet you:

Had an unnecessary surgery. You could have taken other measures to fix you diabetes. But.....laziness.
    You had a surgery without even doing full research of who would help you with you nutrition afterwards.
    You had the surgery and now can only handle less food, so your solution is.....smaller portions of Mcdonald and Taco Bell.

Lol

EXACTLY!

you think eating **** food without the bun is "trying"????

You make WLS look bad!

Get real
    You realize that DS'ers are supposed to follow high protein high fat diet, yes? McDonalds burgers without a bun is...high protein, high fat. GASP WHO WOULD EAT HIGH FAT HIGH PROTEIN ON A HIGH FAT HIGH PROTEIN DIET!?!?!
    Btw, it's not like I even eat there every day.

OMG

ok enjoy your macdonalds

see you in 5-8 years whaen you are wondering why the weight came back on

This! :drinker:
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    it's not really that simple. your body will try and conserve calories if it thinks you're starving. light exercise can help with this - a longer, less vigorous walk can help more than a shorter more vigorous walk. people who are more muscular burn more calories than people of the same weight who have more bodyfat.
  • catecholamine
    catecholamine Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    OMG

ok enjoy your macdonalds

Yeah, right. Google it. Go to dsfacts.com and read up if you don't believe me. FYI I've lost 70lbs in 4 1/2 months. So...I must be doing something right. Tried low fat. Lost no weight, hair fell out, skin went dry and started breaking out, was nauseated all the time. Bumped fat up, started losing weight again, and my hair stopped falling out and skin issues resolved.
  • liloldDee
    liloldDee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing as adaptive thermogenesis - if you're eating too far below your TDEE, your body will adapt and your resting metabolic rate will plummet drastically. If you're like me, it could drop to 400 kcals a day. Ever gained weight at 500 kcals a day? It blows. Don't put yourself too far below your TDEE for long periods of time.

10-20% is suggested for a cut.

You can use the calculators here -

www.iifym.com
    Also, hormones, stress etc.. can have a huge effect on your weight loss. And if you are lifting weights like you should be, your weight may stay the same while you are losing dress sizes.
    Nope, not lifting. I should be though. I'm just so damn tired all the time. I was pre-op too but it feels a little worse now. No energy. I try to walk, at least. Got a used fitbit zip yesterday so I can keep track of my steps and hoping it will spur me on to walk more. I know 400 calories is bad, but eating can just be such a damn pain. I have to eat all the time now and I hate it. Yesterday was a bad day, but the day before that, I got my protein in and did good. Just have to keep eating for success. Never thought pre-op that I'd come to hate eating so much, but christ it's an annoyance to have to eat ever 3 hours.

I'm curious to know if you consider the surgery a success, everything you've said here makes it sound like a disaster.
  • liloldDee
    Options
    OMG

ok enjoy your macdonalds

Yeah, right. Google it. Go to dsfacts.com and read up if you don't believe me. FYI I've lost 70lbs in 4 1/2 months. So...I must be doing something right. Tried low fat. Lost no weight, hair fell out, skin went dry and started breaking out, was nauseated all the time. Bumped fat up, started losing weight again, and my hair stopped falling out and skin issues resolved.

If this is the way you have to eat for the rest of your life it's time to start educating yourself on good fats. Just because you're on a high fat diet doesn't mean you should be eating cheaply produced, crappy burgers.
  • catecholamine
    Options
    There is such a thing as adaptive thermogenesis - if you're eating too far below your TDEE, your body will adapt and your resting metabolic rate will plummet drastically. If you're like me, it could drop to 400 kcals a day. Ever gained weight at 500 kcals a day? It blows. Don't put yourself too far below your TDEE for long periods of time.

10-20% is suggested for a cut.

You can use the calculators here -

www.iifym.com
    Also, hormones, stress etc.. can have a huge effect on your weight loss. And if you are lifting weights like you should be, your weight may stay the same while you are losing dress sizes.
    Nope, not lifting. I should be though. I'm just so damn tired all the time. I was pre-op too but it feels a little worse now. No energy. I try to walk, at least. Got a used fitbit zip yesterday so I can keep track of my steps and hoping it will spur me on to walk more. I know 400 calories is bad, but eating can just be such a damn pain. I have to eat all the time now and I hate it. Yesterday was a bad day, but the day before that, I got my protein in and did good. Just have to keep eating for success. Never thought pre-op that I'd come to hate eating so much, but christ it's an annoyance to have to eat ever 3 hours.

I'm curious to know if you consider the surgery a success, everything you've said here makes it sound like a disaster.
    I'm inbetween. It's been hard....real hard. 70lbs in 4 1/2 months is not bad, however. But the main thing is I want weight loss that will stay off. And this surgery has the best stats for keeping it off long term. I don't expect to get down to 120lbs because I started with a BMI of 63.
    So, really....ask me in a year.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I read that the reason why the OP had this surgery was to cure her diabetes?!?!?! And that it has been cured?!?!?! While I do not have diabetes, I do have family members who do so I found this very interesting.

SO, I googled "is there a cure for diabetes", and I got "About 18,300,000 results (0.46 secnds)" that says otherwise....got news for you, OP.... NOT only are you now suffering the consequences of this surgery, but YOU STILL HAVE DIABETES. Nice....

Don't know who led you to believe this surgery was a cure for diabetes... must have been the surgeon who knows nothing about nutrition... or the nutritionist who knows nothing about the surgery, because obviously neither of them knows anything.

As for your argument about weightloss not being as simple as calories in vs calories out... in your situation, it could very well be the case. I don't know anything about this surgery, nor do I care to know since it is not an option in my life. However, IF this was something I would have ever contemplated, I would have most definitely found out the repurcussions of messing with my body before I set out to have anything rerouted in my body...When you make the decision for an invasive ELECTIVE surgery, you pay the consequences. I say "elective" because you did admit that you were able to lose weight in the past. It's all about behavior modification.... no surgery in the world will keep the weight off if you don't learn to make permanent changes in your eating behaviors...

....and you still have diabetes
  • catecholamine
    Options
    OMG

ok enjoy your macdonalds

If this is the way you have to eat for the rest of your life it's time to start educating yourself on good fats. Just because you're on a high fat diet doesn't mean you should be eating cheaply produced, crappy burgers.
    Those are days I was on the road/out and busy and had to eat. I mostly prepare food at home. Saturated fats are not evil. Trans fats are bad, yes, but saturated? No. I can eat butter en masse if I want to get my fat up - in fact, butter and heavy whipping cream are supposed to be staples.
  • Shananigans_
    Shananigans_ Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    It is that simple, it's putting it into action that is the difficult part.
  • catecholamine
    Options
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I read that the reason why the OP had this surgery was to cure her diabetes?!?!?! And that it has been cured?!?!?! While I do not have diabetes, I do have family members who do so I found this very interesting.

SO, I googled "is there a cure for diabetes", and I got "About 18,300,000 results (0.46 secnds)" that says otherwise....got news for you, OP.... NOT only are you now suffering the consequences of this surgery, but YOU STILL HAVE DIABETES. Nice....

Don't know who led you to believe this surgery was a cure for diabetes... must have been the surgeon who knows nothing about nutrition... or the nutritionist who knows nothing about the surgery, because obviously neither of them knows anything.

As for your argument about weightloss not being as simple as calories in vs calories out... in your situation, it could very well be the case. I don't know anything about this surgery, nor do I care to know since it is not an option in my life. However, IF this was something I would have ever contemplated, I would have most definitely found out the repurcussions of messing with my body before I set out to have anything rerouted in my body...When you make the decision for an invasive ELECTIVE surgery, you pay the consequences. I say "elective" because you did admit that you were able to lose weight in the past. It's all about behavior modification.... no surgery in the world will keep the weight off if you don't learn to make permanent changes in your eating behaviors...

....and you still have diabetes
    Google Duodenal Switch diabetes. They're actually doing the intestines portion of the DS on non-obese people to cure diabetes in other countries. I know someone personally who got it just to cure diabetes. And guess what? My a1c is now perfectly normal. My fasting sugars are perfectly normal. I'm not on a single diabetes medication.
  • catecholamine
    Options
    OMG

ok enjoy your macdonalds

Thank you for saying it better than I could, he healthier option would be cooking real meats at home with lower sodium content and healthy oils

NOT fast/processed garbage

these things add up
    Actually, last time I was tested, my sodium was low and I was told to increase my sodium.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    The malnutrition ie: hair falling out, dry skin, brittle nails/hair has everything to do with your preferred sources of protein and fat. As long as your other supplements are in line.

Good Fats:
    Avacado
    Olive Oil
    Nuts

These are also high calorie.

Protein:
    Eggs
    Protein shakes
    Peanut butter
    Almonds
    Lean meats
    Many more...

These are healthy proteins.

Honestly if you wanted to keep eating junk, then a surgery was not the answer. Keeping all my parts, I can eat the junk watch my calories and still lose weight. For you, because of the operation...your food needs to be balanced and full of nutrients and calories. Unfortunately now fitting in empty calories for you, hurts your needed macros, It sounds like you were searching for a weight loss plan that took the work out, you found the cure was worse than the disease.

I am not saying WLS is easy, just it seem the OP seems to have had that hope.
  • liloldDee
    Options
    OMG

ok enjoy your macdonalds

Those are days I was on the road/out and busy and had to eat. I mostly prepare food at home. Saturated fats are not evil. Trans fats are bad, yes, but saturated? No. I can eat butter en masse if I want to get my fat up - in fact, butter and heavy whipping cream are supposed to be staples.

This is my last word on the subject, firstly just so you know I do wish you all the best I hope for you this will be the success you were so desperate for that you resorted to drastic measures that are from the sounds of it permanent.

You're 4 months post op, and your making excuses about been on the road. Your body is already at a huge disadvantage as it can't ever again tolerate many healthy foods that would not only provide it with fuel and energy but also required nutrients. No offence but you've almost bragged about eating fast food and said very little about preparing home made healthy food and that it's the mainstay of your eating plan. You've resorted to desperate measures, it's now time to be kind to your body and treat it with respect, you've a lot of clawing back to do in order to try and reverse the damage already imposed. Your surgery was a get out of jail free card, I doubt there's too many more of them left in the deck.
  • catecholamine
    Options
    Yawn. Saturated fats are not bad. Considering everyone in the DS community has told me on multiple occasions that I need to eat LESS lean meats and more fatty meats, more butter, more hwc, even suggested coffee with butter/coconut oil in it. But I don't like coffee. I have trouble getting the 150g a day in, and almost never make it, but I usually get close enough.
    Burgers without buns are perfectly acceptable.
    I keep my carbs low, my protein high, and my fat high. And that means I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing.
    Meats and fat sources will be my primary food for the rest of my life. Vegetables are only for when I've met my protein for the day.
    I take vitamins.
    What's healthy for you is not healthy for me any longer.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    While I do agree on the fact that you could still find better fats and protein sources, I also agree on the fact that sometimes weightloss isn't so easy to understand - especially because it's not linear. You didn't specify when did you gain this weight (or I didn't find it out), so as other people have already said, that might be water weight. Also, you got surgery... I don't think I can compare your weightloss to mine since I'm basically healthy, never suffered from diabetes, never relied on surgery or pills or stuff like that. So, if I keep being on a real deficit, I will lose weight on the long term. Unless there's something we don't know about your surgery, you're either not on a deficit or you haven't been waiting long enough. Honestly I'd rather talk to a doctor than asking for help online if I was gaining on 900 kcals a day... and if your doctor doesn't know about it, I'd find another one.
  • catecholamine
    Options
    Oh yea almost forgot to add in to my previous post you frequenting Wendy's and KFC along with Taco Bell and McDonalds. Congratulations on being the first person to ever have surgery like this and now have a diet of all fast foods and not be able to eat veggies because veggies is to much food.
    You'd crap bricks if you saw the food diary of a DS'er that's a year out.
    Many get more than 4,000 calories a day, all fat and protein.
    Even the nutritionist told me to limit veggies.
    I need 120g protein a day and that is priority number 1.