If it's as simple as calories in vs calories out....

Options

Replies

• catecholamine
    catecholamine Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It is not incredulous that her doctor is not helpful nor knowledgeable post surgery. These types of surgeries are as trendy as Botox and money makers for medical personnel with very little training.....it's not always their specialty. They are making the bucks lining people up for these surgeries. That may or may not be the case here, but to assume that there are all of these things making her story somehow shady, is unfair.

Sad to read implications that someone "cheated" or was looking for a "quick fix." Many, many people have benefited from surgery to get to a healthier weight. The change in confidence alone is enough to turn things around and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
    People will always assume WLS is the "easy way out" but those who are close to someone who actually had WLS will know better. I had to change everything. WLS itself was painful as hell, and there have been hiccups along the way, but I really wish I could have done without it because it's HARD. There's no more big thanksgiving dinners. Eating out sucks because you take a few bites and spend the rest of the time watching someone else eat. You can't eat just what you want anymore, but have to eat to meet your protein macros. It's a lot of work and sacrifice.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    ds-anatomy_zpsc95da545.jpg

They reroute your digestive juices to come in at the end of the small intestines. That's the Common Channel. No part of the intestines is removed.

The small intestine is over 20 ft long. I may only play a doctor on the internet, but the portion of the intestine connected to the pylorus through which the food will travel, which I'm guessing is what is referred to as the common channel, is not over 20 ft long based on that picture. According to articles about the surgery, it's only about 75-150 cm, which is a heck of a lot shorter than 20 ft. The rest is rerouted to the liver. So while it may not be removed from your body, my point that the the small intestine through which food matter passes through and is absorbed has been greatly shortened is correct.

Sorry you're having a tough time, but you really should be talking to a doctor about any difficulties you are having, not just yelling at the members of the community here. There's really not anything anyone here can do to help you given that we have no knowledge of your specific medical history and you clearly have circumstances that fall outside of general weight loss.
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Your surgery concerns me, however, since it directly affects how food is being absorbed by your body. I really suggest speaking with a professional dietitian.

And I don't know if you're doing this, but for the record! I really suggest not weighing yourself every day. Weight can fluctuate so much due to stress, water retention, hormones etc... I'd say once a week, max. If you can hit the gym in the future, I'd suggest measuring your progress with a measuring tape and/or pictures in the mirror, and throw out the scale:)

Imagine my surprise when I gained 10 lbs, but realized I had put 3 inches on my *kitten* and lost 2 inches in my waist! I was totally okay with that ;) Haha

Best of luck to you.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    It is not incredulous that her doctor is not helpful nor knowledgeable post surgery. These types of surgeries are as trendy as Botox and money makers for medical personnel with very little training.....it's not always their specialty. They are making the bucks lining people up for these surgeries. That may or may not be the case here, but to assume that there are all of these things making her story somehow shady, is unfair.

Sad to read implications that someone "cheated" or was looking for a "quick fix." Many, many people have benefited from surgery to get to a healthier weight. The change in confidence alone is enough to turn things around and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Perhaps, but she may have gotten more helpful responses had she not come in here, guns blazing, nasty attitude and calling people 'stupid' and 'idiots' because they didn't have in depth knowledge of her super special rare surgery.
  • catecholamine
    Options

The hilarious part of this whole thing is. You call the person above an idiot but yet you:

Had an unnecessary surgery. You could have taken other measures to fix you diabetes. But.....laziness.
    You had a surgery without even doing full research of who would help you with you nutrition afterwards.
    You had the surgery and now can only handle less food, so your solution is.....smaller portions of Mcdonald and Taco Bell.

Lol
    So what? How is a beef patty fried at home SO MUCH BETTER? I don't have the bun, so it meets my carb macros. It's high in protein and fat, which is what I need. How is it wrong when it fits my macros so perfectly? I don't eat fries, I don't eat pies, I don't drink sweet tea. I get water and a mcdouble no bun. So just meat and cheese. That's precisely what I'm supposed to be eating. I know it's hard for you to wrap your head around, but what is healthy for you is no longer healthy for big. Big portions of veggies would mean not meeting my fat or protein macros.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen Secret Eaters? Check it out.
  • catecholamine
    Options
    Oh, and by the way, what you think is "healthy foods" for me is not healthy. Even the nutritionist said to limit myself to 2 tablespoons of vegetables twice a day. Less than 60g carbs a day. Rest is protein.

so for you taco bell and mcdonnalds three times a day minus bread is "completely changing your eating" and an "acceptable way to get protein"

Gimme a break I would cut u some slack but your diary is gross. You like gross food and you dont want to give it up.

You know how much sodium and chemicals is in that food? You think its real healthy meat/protein?

I think they meant lean meats, small chicken breasts, protein shakes, beans, supplemented by cooked veggies (easier on a post op surg stomach)

What you want is to eat what you want with no consequences, yes a calorie is a calorie but you have to be aware of optimal health, the sodium you eat alone from your fast food/processed food is enough to keep you bloated.

Do i think all people "cheat" with this surgery? NO

but I think some do, and I think you did.

you are fooling yourself! But hey I like your spunky attitude when you are ready to get real, send me a FR
    WRONG! I'm supposed to eat FATTY MEATS. I need fat to absorb my vites. I need 150g fat A DAY!! I am supposed to NOT eat much beans because they are loaded in carbs and cause me digestive problems now. I'm supposed to eat absolutely no more than 2 tablespoons of veggies per meal, twice a day max.
  • catecholamine
    Options

Perhaps, but she may have gotten more helpful responses had she not come in here, guns blazing, nasty attitude and calling people 'stupid' and 'idiots' because they didn't have in depth knowledge of her super special rare surgery.
    I called her stupid because she called me a liar and said I was fooling myself if I thought surgery kept me from absorbing macros. She was wrong. 30 seconds of reading with google could have informed her.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Well, one thing I know, is that we with Hashimoto's have it harder than a "normal' person. It's not that simple for us. We can watch calories, but will probably still keep gaining or not lose anything. We have to watch what we eat too. We have to constantly get our hormones levels checked and make sure they're within optimal range.

I'm sure there are more diseases or health issues out there this type of thing applies to, but I can speak first hand, it's not that simple for Hashi people.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I would say it's pretty obvious.
    If it was as simple as people claim, only calories in VS calories out, I would be losing massive amounts of weight.
    I physically can't gorge myself. Which means I'm unlikely to be lying in any major way on my diary. When I eat less, I lose less. When I eat more, I lose more. So if it was as simple as calories in VS calories out, how does that make any sense?
    The truth is it is how the laws of energy work...calories absorbed -calories burned = negative number, you lose weight - positive number you gain - zero, you maintain.

That is the formula for the energy use that we call calories, it is math. You math say 900 - 2000= +1100 instead of -1100; then you say 1600-2000= -400 (which is correct). Even figuring malabsorption in the 2 equations are not in a agreement on the basic principles of element school math.

The only thing I could think is when you believe you are eating 900, you are actually eating more calorie dense foods and misjudging portions and/or over estimating exercise burn. Also 4 oz. Is easy to gorge on, my favorite guacamole has almost 1900 calorie in only 6oz.

Calling someone stupid for just stating a mathmatically probable (near absolute) truth is ignorant. She wasn't saying you were lying, not understanding, and making an extremely common miscalculation is common here and the only logical answer to what you posted. Whether you like or agree with the math, it can and will stand on its own merits and dismissing it with anecdotal evidence will not effect the truth.

That's a pretty gross oversimplification. You're forgetting hormones, insulin sensitivity and resistance, alpha-receptors and blood flow and how directly effect the process of fat loss, and adaptive thermogenesis. Some people do gain at 500-900 kcals a day because of metabolic damage or any other factor.

Mostly it is because their RMR is in the tank, which is still more kcal in than kcal out, because it is far below 1000 or even 700. Metabolic damage can be fixed, over time, but unfortunately that does mean a break from dieting, or being comfortable gaining at 1200 kcals for awhile until things get moving again.

It's important to think long term.

Not over simplified, calories out accounts for hormones etc. Everyone need to figure out there own TDEE. The op is stating that she essentially has 2 tdee's. At the low one she gains and at the high one she loses, these 2 statements can not both be facts since they cancel each other out. You can not make a number that is negative turn positive (create energy from thin air), if the correct math applies at the higher intake.

No I have to disagree with you, people do not gain on 700 calories, even extremely rare and severe metabolic disorders only on average fall 10% below the mean BMR of the population. Think of it in the terms of evolution, if the human body could become so efficient that it could run, maintain and even increase energy storage supplies (fat) on roughly a third of what the mean population functions and maintains at. That body in question would be the healthiest and next step in human evolution. Under of course the assumption that a body that could have a surplus of energy at such a low intake would also have adapted to subsist and thrive on lower nutrientlevels as well.

Why have famished countries not adapted? They starve and die from starvation and malnourishment, they are also skinny.

Look at the Minnesota study, why were the subjects not fat?
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

I called her stupid because she called me a liar and said I was fooling myself if I thought surgery kept me from absorbing macros. She was wrong. 30 seconds of reading with google could have informed her.

Which shows how incredibly immature you are.
  • catecholamine
    Options

Um, are you stupid or something? Yes, it does cause me to malabsorb nutrients. That's like, the whole purpose of Duodenal Switch. They change where your digestive juices come in to come in at the end of the small intestines so food isn't broken down and macros aren't absorbed. Google it.
    Fat malabsorption is so much that I have to take megadoses of fat soluable vitamins. I take 50,000iu of Vitamin D a day, for instance.

Wow. You sound charming.
    Well, she calls me a liar and tells me I'm gorging myself and not logging. She sounded real charming too.

From reading all your posts in this thread you sound very angry with quite the attitude. What was the point of starting it? A rant perhaps? Or sympathy? Can't figure it out.
    I would say it's pretty obvious.
    If it was as simple as people claim, only calories in VS calories out, I would be losing massive amounts of weight.
    I physically can't gorge myself. Which means I'm unlikely to be lying in any major way on my diary. When I eat less, I lose less. When I eat more, I lose more. So if it was as simple as calories in VS calories out, how does that make any sense?

Ok I just looked through your diary and like I said you have cheated your body with this dumb surgery...you wanted a quick fix but you didnt want to change your habits

I see multiple taco bell/mcdonalds/fast food/fried foods/processed foods

one day you went to taco bell twice AND mcdonalds

Hell I am all for moderation and dont get me wrong I love the occasional fast food product.

Surgery is supposed to be a tool to get you on your way to learning and practising better habits and your not. So no wonder you are not losing, most days you eat like ****

that can add up. No wonder the nutritionist "knows nothing" she is probably recommending healthy foods that will give you the most nutritional; bang for the portion and you arent trying to hear that are you?

Geuss what? A moment on the lips a lifetime on the hips, eventually you stomach will adjust too its new self and because you havnt learned or listened the lbs will creep back on again.

Enjoy your crap food.
    You're an idiot. I eat a high fat, high protein diet. Because I absorb 20% fat and 60% protein. I will eat a McDonalds burger without the bun. Or a single taco, and that's my carb splurge for the day (at 11 carbs). It's protein. I need protein. 150g fat = 30g absorbed. Without it, I can't absorb my vitamins, my hair gets dry and brittle, my skin dries out and flakes, I get acne, and I feel horrible.
    The hilarious part of this whole thing is. You call the person above an idiot but yet you:

Had an unnecessary surgery. You could have taken other measures to fix you diabetes. But.....laziness.
    You had a surgery without even doing full research of who would help you with you nutrition afterwards.
    You had the surgery and now can only handle less food, so your solution is.....smaller portions of Mcdonald and Taco Bell.

Lol

EXACTLY!

you think eating **** food without the bun is "trying"????

You make WLS look bad!

Get real
    You realize that DS'ers are supposed to follow high protein high fat diet, yes? McDonalds burgers without a bun is...high protein, high fat. GASP WHO WOULD EAT HIGH FAT HIGH PROTEIN ON A HIGH FAT HIGH PROTEIN DIET!?!?!
    Btw, it's not like I even eat there every day.
  • catecholamine
    Options

Lol
    So what? How is a beef patty fried at home SO MUCH BETTER? I don't have the bun, so it meets my carb macros. It's high in protein and fat, which is what I need. How is it wrong when it fits my macros so perfectly? I don't eat fries, I don't eat pies, I don't drink sweet tea. I get water and a mcdouble no bun. So just meat and cheese. That's precisely what I'm supposed to be eating. I know it's hard for you to wrap your head around, but what is healthy for you is no longer healthy for big. Big portions of veggies would mean not meeting my fat or protein macros.
    You don't eat the fries from mcdonalds but instead you will eat Homemade french fries with ranch dip for lunch right?

Oh yea almost forgot to add in to my previous post you frequenting Wendy's and KFC along with Taco Bell and McDonalds. Congratulations on being the first person to ever have surgery like this and now have a diet of all fast foods and not be able to eat veggies because veggies is to much food.

Yep, and I have a reason for this.
    I found myself losing a pound a day when I did 80g carbs or so. So I was trying that. I had to have something that was carb-dense and not something that would take up tons of stomach space. Some DS'ers found success with it. But it messed me up too much, made me ill, not doing it again.