My 30 day Paleo lifestyle challenge!

Options
stacw1987
stacw1987 Posts: 206 Member
Hello everyone!

So I have switched to the Paleo lifestyle and I am on day 3 :) I am doing this as a lifestyle change, not as a diet and want to lead a clean style of eating with the occasional treat day to enjoy my favourites. I will no longer be counting calories and I don't want to weigh myself religiously. If my body likes the change and adapts well then I will continue after the 30 days!

I do not see this a diet but simply a choice for example like a vegetarian, vegan but only I am paleo. I want to do this to cut down my body fat, improve my energy levels, my mind and my general health. Cutting out processed food just seems to make the most sense to me and not a "fad diet".

If anyone cares to join me on this then please more the merrier and log each day on this thread and how you are feeling!

The other thing I like about this is that its making me think about my food choices and I am experimenting with my own cooking. For example I have cooked avocado chicken, almond crusted chicken and steak with sweet potato mash and cauliflower and peppercorn sauce. YUM!

If anyone has any recipes that could share with me then please do and also your experiences with this lifestyle change, both good and bad!

So here is logging day 3!! Feeling great and enjoying cooking new recipes!

:) X

Replies

• kmbackes
    kmbackes Posts: 1
    Options
    Good luck on your change! I would highly recommend not logging your intake and just focusing on the quality of your food. I've been logging recently for different reasons but success with paleo comes from listening to your body. You don't have to be hungry to lose weight I promise. I think this meal template is a great starting point: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf Use that and adjust as your body demands. Like i know I'm more of a 2-palms of protein than 1 palm girl if I'm going to stay satisfied until my next meal.
    http://www.pinterest.com/kaitlinmbackes/whole30/ I have made a lot of things on that board and loved them. Whole9/whole30 is a really good resource with a good forum too. I think some big success tips are don't be afraid of starchy carbs like sweet potatoes. They're important for energy. And don't eat fruit alone. With a meal is fine, but fruit alone when you're craving something just kind of gives in to your bodies sugar craving. If you have to snack, make it like a mini meal with carb, protein, fat. Good luck!!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    For example I have cooked avocado chicken, almond crusted chicken and steak with sweet potato mash and cauliflower and peppercorn sauce. YUM!

Lots of calorie-dense ingredients in that sentence - super easy to overeat with foods like that.

Good luck!

PS Almonds and sweet potatoes aren't paleo.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but ice-cream and bacon are - and I eat generous quantities of both of those and keep losing weight.

More power to Paleo!
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Yeah, but ice-cream and bacon are - and I eat generous quantities of both of those and keep losing weight.

Neither of those are paleo, either.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

oh wait. i thought paleo was God's gift to weight loss and so easy?!? you can keep your paleo restrictions and i will stay with eating pretty much any food i want and lose weight.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

oh wait. i thought paleo was God's gift to weight loss and so easy?!? you can keep your paleo restrictions and i will stay with eating pretty much any food i want and lose weight.

Not sure who you're responding to - I don't do paleo restrictions.
  • 1kathyr
    1kathyr Posts: 23
    Options
    For example I have cooked avocado chicken, almond crusted chicken and steak with sweet potato mash and cauliflower and peppercorn sauce. YUM!

Yes, they are http://www.paleoplan.com/2012/07-12/qa-are-sweet-potatoes-paleo/

http://ultimatepaleoguide.com/paleo-diet-food-list/
  • stacw1987
    Options
    Well thanks for your comments but please don't post if this is just a dig at paleo. The reason I have chosen this style of eating is because it allows you to eat good healthy whole foods. Like I said still have treat days but everything in moderation. Obviously not everyone agrees to this style of eating but for me personally it just makes sense and this is why I am giving it a trial.

Here is the list of vegetables that are good for Paleo eaters and also a list of nuts. This is off the Ultimate Paleo guide. So to the above poster I am not sure where you found for info but I have searched severe sites which all allow sweet potatoes and almonds. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Asparagus
    Avocado
    Artichoke hearts
    Brussels sprouts
    Carrots
    Spinach
    Celery
    Broccoli
    Zucchini
    Cabbage
    Peppers (All Kinds)
    Cauliflower
    Parsley
    Eggplant
    Green Onions
    Butternut Squash
    Acorn Squash
    Yam
    Sweet Potato
    Beets

Almonds
    Cashews
    Hazelnuts
    Pecans
    Pine Nuts
    Pumpkin Seeds
    Sunflower Seeds
    Macadamia Nut
    Walnuts
  • stacw1987
    Options
    Thank you I will check out the sites :) I just need some exciting recipes :)
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Hi I did paleo for a few months to treat my fibromyalgia and at that point it worked for me. I had more energy, skin was fantastic, hair glossy and my long term pain disappeared. Then my old habits crept back. I have just done 27 says of whole 30 and the effects were not as dramatic this time. I had no energy and my pain continued not sure why. I also gained 2 pounds. I bacame very disheartened and for the past few days have eaten crap ( it was mine and my kids birthday). I am still considering what to do. I enjoy the paleo lifestyle and the food but breakfast us a big problem for me. I am intolerant to eggs so can't eat them and just find I don't want to eat anything other than oatmeal/muesli. I am considering eating mainly paleo with the exception of breakfast I feel oatmeal is healthy and I buy the gluten free ones. If you want to add me as a friend I would be happy to support you I know the theory but have issues putting it in practice right now. Good luck on your lifestyle change.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

No, they are not. That is just convenience-based rationalization. Sweet potatoes are a post-agricultural food - humans did not evolve eating sweet potatoes so there is no meaningful definition of "paleo" that allows them without making a mockery of the science or of the term.

If they are allowed in "paleo", then so is everything else we've discovered/invented recently, and "paleo" loses all meaning. At that point - what exactly is the point?

I don't give a crap what people eat or don't eat, but if your'e going to do something, at least do it right. :)

PS I see the list above - nice - butternut squash wasn't even invented until the 1940s.
  • stacw1987
    Options

No, they are not. That is just convenience-based rationalization. Sweet potatoes are a post-agricultural food - humans did not evolve eating sweet potatoes so there is no meaningful definition of "paleo" that allows them without making a mockery of the science or of the term.

If they are allowed in "paleo", then so is everything else we've discovered/invented recently, and "paleo" loses all meaning. At that point - what exactly is the point?

I don't give a crap what people eat or don't eat, but if your'e going to do something, at least do it right. :)

PS I see the list above - nice - butternut squash wasn't even invented until the 1940s.

You like to give your opinion an awful lot for someone who doesn't care! Looks like we have one of those annoying people who like to bash people!!
  • brightblueskie
    Options
    My goodness. To combat all the negativity around here I wanted to share my experience with paleo. I've been paleo for three months, which means that I don't eat grains anymore but eat a ton of veggies, meat (dipping my toes into the organ meats, but liver tastes funny), and fats like grass fed butter. I still do cream in my coffee but have also tried and liked blending butter in instead. I lost 10 pounds very quickly, and since starting the 21 Day Sugar Detox (I'm on Day 10) I have lost another five pounds due to cutting out all sugar and alcohol. I don't have crazy blood sugar rollercoasters anymore, I don't feel tied to snacks, I have a cold right now that is the mildest cold I've ever had (I treated it with bone broth, zinc, and kombucha), and my menstrual cramps, which used to be so bad that I would faint, have all but disappeared.

As long as I am cooking for myself and my husband it is no problem at all to eat this way. Usually (not right now because of the 21DSD) I have wine, ginger beer, and ice cream as main treats and I am very happy with that - so what if ice cream isn't paleo? I make my own choices. This is the healthiest relationship with food I have ever had - since I'm not hungry, I'm not obsessing about my next snack or my meal, and I don't have cravings for crap food because ground beef and smoked sardines taste so darn delicious.

So, as a friend of mine says, you do you. Figure out what works for you, whether it's paleo, primal, pescatarianism, or veganism, and don't let anyone tell you that you can't eat what you want because it's not [insert label here]. It's your body.
  • WildCatClimbs
    WildCatClimbs Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This person is trying to be healthier and you come here and spout crap you know nothing about. Where the hell do you get your information? "Paleo" is a catch all phrase to define eating as close to nature as possible. No one INVENTED squash, it grows in the ground. No one is suggesting you go out, kill a gazelle and eat it raw. Most people will start out on Paleo having eliminated a lot of things that could be causing their bodies grief. These things are typically: dairy, grains, nightshades, and eggs. Once your body is feeling good again, start adding some things back in to see how your body reacts. Many people end up on a more relaxed version of "Paleo" and can tolerate grass fed dairy, potatoes, etc. Paleo focuses on conscious eating, eating the highest quality foods possible, and eating as close to nature as possible. Please stop bashing other people and take your "bro-science" elsewhere.
  • WildCatClimbs
    WildCatClimbs Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    :drinker: ^^^ this
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Bang on! Why restrict . Paleo is no more a godsend then any other diet. It is (and always will be) about calories in vs calories out.

I love ice-cream and oreos (two things Paleo men/women didn't have the luxury of having). Now that i think of it I use a car every day and a fridge to keep my food cold. Just because Paleo didn't eat something doesn't mean it is better. Besides, much of the food (like berries and wild roots) look nothing like the wild varieties people ate thousands and thousands of years ago.
  • stacw1987
    Options
    ^^^^

Thank you! This is my whole point, trying to eat as as close to nature as possible and doing what feels right for my body. Thank you both for your input, it means a lot!

So I am on day 4 now and still feeling positive with it. I want to experiment even more with cooking so any recipes, post them my way!

Thanks again for your positivity :)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    This person is trying to be healthier and you come here and spout crap you know nothing about. Where the hell do you get your information? "Paleo" is a catch all phrase to define eating as close to nature as possible. No one INVENTED squash, it grows in the ground. No one is suggesting you go out, kill a gazelle and eat it raw. Most people will start out on Paleo having eliminated a lot of things that could be causing their bodies grief. These things are typically: dairy, grains, nightshades, and eggs. Once your body is feeling good again, start adding some things back in to see how your body reacts. Many people end up on a more relaxed version of "Paleo" and can tolerate grass fed dairy, potatoes, etc. Paleo focuses on conscious eating, eating the highest quality foods possible, and eating as close to nature as possible. Please stop bashing other people and take your "bro-science" elsewhere.

Seriously? Butternut squash was created by humans. Crossing gooseneck squash with other squash. No need to be rude just because you don't know which foods are natural and which are man-made hybrids.
  • stacw1987
    Options

Bang on! Why restrict . Paleo is no more a godsend then any other diet. It is (and always will be) about calories in vs calories out.

I love ice-cream and oreos (two things Paleo men/women didn't have the luxury of having). Now that i think of it I use a car every day and a fridge to keep my food cold. Just because Paleo didn't eat something doesn't mean it is better. Besides, much of the food (like berries and wild roots) look nothing like the wild varieties people ate thousands and thousands of years ago.

Like I said in my first post I am doing paleo to lean down, to have more energy and for my overall health. I enjoy ice cream, cookies and the rest of it but I'd rather have them in moderation instead of my daily diet. I'm not doing it to loose lots of weight just simply to lean down.

Yes things may look different to what they did back then, everything does but it's about eating close to nature.

Jees feel like you have to do a lot of defending on these forums.