My 30 day Paleo lifestyle challenge!

Options

Replies

• dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Well thanks for your comments but please don't post if this is just a dig at paleo. The reason I have chosen this style of eating is because it allows you to eat good healthy whole foods. Like I said still have treat days but everything in moderation. Obviously not everyone agrees to this style of eating but for me personally it just makes sense and this is why I am giving it a trial.

So basically you're just eating a regular diet.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    And they just keep on trolling haha

And the ones who say they're leaving keep coming back. Haha

When I said I'm not posting anymore I mean I'm not starting any new threads.

I'll remember that. Muhahahahaha.......
  • LifeWithPie
    Options
    Well thanks for your comments but please don't post if this is just a dig at paleo. The reason I have chosen this style of eating is because it allows you to eat good healthy whole foods. Like I said still have treat days but everything in moderation. Obviously not everyone agrees to this style of eating but for me personally it just makes sense and this is why I am giving it a trial.

Fact! :drinker:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I am not going to criticize you for trying to eat closer to nature, or for calling it "Paleo", as I have no problem with that. I say, find what works for you and do it.

But, for the love of Pete, PLEASE do not compare yourself to a vegetarian. A vegetarian (at least none of the ones I know) does not EVER have an occasional day where they "treat" themselves to meat. Most do it for ethical reasons and don't feel that "oh, today it's ok to kill a pig because I am craving bacon".

Just because you don't know vegetarians who openly have treats, doesn't mean they don't exist. I know a number of people who consider themselves vegan not for ethical reasons, who have no problems ignoring the butter on their pasta or breadstick when it's convenient for them. There are also a number of "part-time vegans" and "vegan before 6" type of eaters out there. Of course, you'll probably say they aren't "real vegans," but it doesn't change the fact that they claim that they are, and they have exceptions built into their diet.

That veg*ns generally do it for ethical reasons, and therefore generally have a hard line in the sand about such things does make the underlying philosophies different, I do agree there, though.

They can claim to be whatever they want, it doesn't make it true. I could claim to have a unicorn as a pet. Doesn't make that any truer. :) They are not vegans and they are not vegetarians if they eat meat/use animal products.

I've been a vegetarian for 24 years, I would never treat myself with meat. People who claim they are part time vegans or call themselves vegetarian but eat meat/"openly treat themselves" are a joke, and in my opinion, idiots. IMO, it is an ethical decision, and it's not something one can turn on/off. I would get sick at this point if I tried to treat myself.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    For example I have cooked avocado chicken, almond crusted chicken and steak with sweet potato mash and cauliflower and peppercorn sauce. YUM!

PS Almonds and sweet potatoes aren't paleo.

Yes, they are http://www.paleoplan.com/2012/07-12/qa-are-sweet-potatoes-paleo/

No, they are not. That is just convenience-based rationalization. Sweet potatoes are a post-agricultural food - humans did not evolve eating sweet potatoes so there is no meaningful definition of "paleo" that allows them without making a mockery of the science or of the term.

If they are allowed in "paleo", then so is everything else we've discovered/invented recently, and "paleo" loses all meaning. At that point - what exactly is the point?

I don't give a crap what people eat or don't eat, but if your'e going to do something, at least do it right. :)

PS I see the list above - nice - butternut squash wasn't even invented until the 1940s.

You like to give your opinion an awful lot for someone who doesn't care! Looks like we have one of those annoying people who like to bash people!!

Bash people? I saw absolutely nothing in that well-reasoned response that bashed anyone. It merely points out the fallacy of including post-agricultural foods in a pre-agricultural diet.
  • LifeWithPie
    Options
    I am not going to criticize you for trying to eat closer to nature, or for calling it "Paleo", as I have no problem with that. I say, find what works for you and do it.

But, for the love of Pete, PLEASE do not compare yourself to a vegetarian. A vegetarian (at least none of the ones I know) does not EVER have an occasional day where they "treat" themselves to meat. Most do it for ethical reasons and don't feel that "oh, today it's ok to kill a pig because I am craving bacon".

Just because you don't know vegetarians who openly have treats, doesn't mean they don't exist. I know a number of people who consider themselves vegan not for ethical reasons, who have no problems ignoring the butter on their pasta or breadstick when it's convenient for them. There are also a number of "part-time vegans" and "vegan before 6" type of eaters out there. Of course, you'll probably say they aren't "real vegans," but it doesn't change the fact that they claim that they are, and they have exceptions built into their diet.

That veg*ns generally do it for ethical reasons, and therefore generally have a hard line in the sand about such things does make the underlying philosophies different, I do agree there, though.

They can claim to be whatever they want, it doesn't make it true. I could claim to have a unicorn as a pet. Doesn't make that any truer. :) They are not vegans and they are not vegetarians if they eat meat/use animal products.

I've been a vegetarian for 24 years, I would never treat myself with meat. People who claim they are part time vegans or call themselves vegetarian but eat meat/"openly treat themselves" are a joke, and in my opinion, idiots. IMO, it is an ethical decision, and it's not something one can turn on/off. I would get sick at this point if I tried to treat myself.

Word girl! There must be a Grohl that fits on here somehow....
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I tried Paleo once, and I while I did lose a bit of weight, I was starving all the time. I was eating massive amounts of meat and steamed veggies, and couldn't seem to stay full. I tried adding legumes, and that helped a bit, but I found the whole experience terribly expensive and unsustainable.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    For example I have cooked avocado chicken, almond crusted chicken and steak with sweet potato mash and cauliflower and peppercorn sauce. YUM!

PS Almonds and sweet potatoes aren't paleo.

Yes, they are http://www.paleoplan.com/2012/07-12/qa-are-sweet-potatoes-paleo/

No, they are not. That is just convenience-based rationalization. Sweet potatoes are a post-agricultural food - humans did not evolve eating sweet potatoes so there is no meaningful definition of "paleo" that allows them without making a mockery of the science or of the term.

If they are allowed in "paleo", then so is everything else we've discovered/invented recently, and "paleo" loses all meaning. At that point - what exactly is the point?

I don't give a crap what people eat or don't eat, but if your'e going to do something, at least do it right. :)

PS I see the list above - nice - butternut squash wasn't even invented until the 1940s.

Which science??? Where?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Paleo does not mean eating whatever people in the paleolithic era ate. It was simply inspired by the idea that those ancestors probably did not eat much processed food or grains.

Our ancestors DID eat a lot of grains

What they didn't eat was butternut squash and bacon.

Cool, it's a good thing I already explained that the paleo diet took inspiration from the idea and isn't a history lesson.

Too bad. Because if it were a history lesson, then at least it'd be somewhat interesting. :wink:

Here is the history lesson: http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

dave_grohl_sup_051313-400x278.gif
  • LifeWithPie
    Options

dave_grohl_sup_051313-400x278.gif

I knew you'd deliver. :drinker:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Stop making sense! :drinker:
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options

Pretty much this. But maybe "paleo" makes it sound more ..... prehistoric? :huh:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Stop making sense! :drinker:

Pffffft. Logic.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It is so funny how outraged people get that you choose to do something different then the exact way they do. Paleo works for me. When do track my calories I find that I am eating way less. I never suffer from hunger anymore. I suffered with hunger since I was a kid. Almonds rock! Sweet potatoes are an awesome treat. Love being paleo.
  • Yagisama
    Options
    The only treats I approve of include pizza, beer, ice cream, and an assortment of German bratwurst. Love being Post-archaic! :drinker:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    The only treats I approve of include pizza, beer, ice cream, and an assortment of German bratwurst. Love being Post-archaic! :drinker:

I'm Paleo, so I prefer hippo meat, honey, locusts and grain.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Well thanks for your comments but please don't post if this is just a dig at paleo.

Public BB and all that...

On day 3, eh? And not counting calories? Yeah, I tried that too. Let us know how it goes.
  • Yagisama
    Options

No glyptodon? What are you, on a glyptodon restrictive diet?!?
  • likitisplit
    Options

No glyptodon? What are you, on a glyptodon restrictive diet?!?

Gives me gas.