My 30 day Paleo lifestyle challenge!

Options

Replies

• stacw1987
    stacw1987 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    This person is trying to be healthier and you come here and spout crap you know nothing about. Where the hell do you get your information? "Paleo" is a catch all phrase to define eating as close to nature as possible. No one INVENTED squash, it grows in the ground. No one is suggesting you go out, kill a gazelle and eat it raw. Most people will start out on Paleo having eliminated a lot of things that could be causing their bodies grief. These things are typically: dairy, grains, nightshades, and eggs. Once your body is feeling good again, start adding some things back in to see how your body reacts. Many people end up on a more relaxed version of "Paleo" and can tolerate grass fed dairy, potatoes, etc. Paleo focuses on conscious eating, eating the highest quality foods possible, and eating as close to nature as possible. Please stop bashing other people and take your "bro-science" elsewhere.

The point though is clear. It's about eating as close to nature as possible.

Seriously? Butternut squash was created by humans. Crossing gooseneck squash with other squash. No need to be rude just because you don't know which foods are natural and which are man-made hybrids.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    This person is trying to be healthier and you come here and spout crap you know nothing about. Where the hell do you get your information? "Paleo" is a catch all phrase to define eating as close to nature as possible. No one INVENTED squash, it grows in the ground. No one is suggesting you go out, kill a gazelle and eat it raw. Most people will start out on Paleo having eliminated a lot of things that could be causing their bodies grief. These things are typically: dairy, grains, nightshades, and eggs. Once your body is feeling good again, start adding some things back in to see how your body reacts. Many people end up on a more relaxed version of "Paleo" and can tolerate grass fed dairy, potatoes, etc. Paleo focuses on conscious eating, eating the highest quality foods possible, and eating as close to nature as possible. Please stop bashing other people and take your "bro-science" elsewhere.

The point though is clear. It's about eating as close to nature as possible.

Seriously? Butternut squash was created by humans. Crossing gooseneck squash with other squash. No need to be rude just because you don't know which foods are natural and which are man-made hybrids.

The point is that butternut squash is not natural. Eschewing all grains because they have been manipulated by mankind and processed, but then eating butternut squash and claiming it's "natural" is a contradiction. If the basis for paleo is "nature=grows in the ground," why are things like peanuts, wheat, and beans forbidden?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

how about pluots?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The point is that butternut squash is not natural. Eschewing all grains because they have been manipulated by mankind and processed, but then eating butternut squash and claiming it's "natural" is a contradiction. If the basis for paleo is "nature=grows in the ground," why are things like peanuts, wheat, and beans forbidden?

Because those are the most common intestinal irritants. Paleo eliminates anything that might cause minor bloating so that people will feel thinner and healthier after just a few days. (Beans, beans, the magical fruit. The more you eat, the more you toot)

*I do not support unnecessarily restrictive diets like paleo, just explaining that most people feel better on paleo because they eliminate foods that cause minor bloating.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Because those are the most common intestinal irritants. Paleo eliminates anything that might cause minor bloating so that people will feel thinner and healthier after just a few days. (Beans, beans, the magical fruit. The more you eat, the more you toot)

*I do not support unnecessarily restrictive diets like paleo, just explaining that most people feel better on paleo because they eliminate foods that cause minor bloating.

I understand going paleo for digestive issues, I'm just questioning the thought process of people saying they are eating paleo to be closer to nature, justifying certain foods as being "ok" because they grow in the ground, but excluding others that grow in the ground.

OP: If you want to get away from pre-packaged foods and eat more raw foods, rock on. If you want the occasional treat, have it. But if you're making a lifestyle change, make the change. If you're not really going paleo, then don't say you're paleo. Say you're eating whole foods for the majority of your diet with the occasional treat. It seems odd to attribute results from your new diet to an eating philosophy that you're not even following.
  • oliviagibson
    Options
    i was going to comment on this and say congratulations on your new lifestyle change!

But then I got caught up in the drama, so skipped to the bottom. Hope you're doing well!
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Paleo is a godsend for people (like me) with autoimmune issues that are aggravated by things like dairy and grains. I'll be honest, I used to think it was a "weird trend" and then my body suddenly decided to become intolerant to most of the foods on the "non paleo" list. That said, I still define myself as "paleo-ish" because I still eat potatoes and legumes (and occasionally rice and sugar). And, frankly, I don't really care a bit about labels (it's just easier to tell people who want to know what to feed me to look up paleo recipes). That said - good luck OP and feel free to add me and snoop my diary if you want ideas :)
  • stacw1987
    Options
    Thanks for the lovely comments and support ^^^^^

I'd like to point out that at no point did I say I have eaten butternut, you guys started that from the food list I had posted from the ultimate paleo guide. So yes I am calling it Paleo and I am happy with that.

So to all that posted supportive comments, thank you :) To those who have nothing else better to do than bash other people, please get a group and do that between you!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Actually....you need to make a group for opinions who agree with you.

The message boards are for anyone to express an opinion.

Thanks for offer though.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Actually....you need to make a group for opinions who agree with you.

The message boards are for anyone to express an opinion.

Thanks for offer though.

What he said.
  • stacw1987
    Options
    No I just think people being negative is just pointless when someone is clearly trying to make a positive change. I must have misunderstood the supportive community that is advertised on my fitness pal.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    No I just think people being negative is just pointless when someone is clearly trying to make a positive change. I must have misunderstood the supportive community that is advertised on my fitness pal.

You have to understand, we're sticklers for facts and correct terminology.
  • stacw1987
    Options
    But what I am doing is Paleo, I have not eaten a butternut squash haha.

I just think that people should be more supportive for a positive change that someone is making rather than bash them about silly details! I understand details are important but in my opinion the way people have addressed these have been a bit rude and dismissive.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Several of the vegetables that are on the acceptable list the the OP posted I have had to eliminate from my diet because of the intestinal problems that they cause me. Cauliflower and brussel sprouts (which I love) were two of the worst vegetables. I have however been able to leave whole wheat in my diet in moderation.

Have you read the IBS recommended diet and the bland diet??? They both eliminate several of those acceptable vegetables due the the bloating and gas that they cause.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    But what I am doing is Paleo, I have not eaten a butternut squash haha.

I just think that people should be more supportive for a positive change that someone is making rather than bash them about silly details! I understand details are important but in my opinion the way people have addressed these have been a bit rude and dismissive.

You are not doing Paleo.

Make a group where people will support you.

Some of us love science.
  • Danielle8387
    Options
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Paleo does not mean eating whatever people in the paleolithic era ate. It was simply inspired by the idea that those ancestors probably did not eat much processed food or grains. Some folks tried cutting out processed foods, legumes, and grains and voila they felt better.

It works for some, doesn't work for others. Anyone who has chronic stomach issues should give it a shot as it seems to work especially well for that. Anyone who is creative in the kitchen may enjoy it as well.

But go ahead and point out that we don't live in caves or whatever dumb strawman you want to prop up to make yourself feel superior.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    OP, you could always eat primal blueprint, if you are looking to reduce your intake of things like grains and other junk food.

Good luck with your diet.
  • stacw1987
    Options
    [/quote]

You are not doing Paleo.

Make a group where people will support you.

Some of us love science.
    [/quote]

I'm not even wasting anymore of my time trying to explain myself. I am happy with what I'm doing and that's ok with me.
  • megteg
    megteg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Lots of haters/arguing trolls on the forum today. I don't get it. Just do your thang, stacw1987. If you are on here, chances are, you are trying to be healthier than the typical person who doesn't care, and that's most important. Find out what works for you.

For what it's worth, I'm also trying to jump back on the paleo train. I feel better and have a less intense appetite! But it is definitely not convenient, and that's what's tripped me up the most.

Also, there is a group forum for paleo peeps. I find group forums are better and help you avoid the annoying "just here to argue about crap" that happens on pretty much every post on these general boards.