Should I be offended?

Options
Mikkimeow
Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
I have to get something off my chest.

I have a desk job in the compliance department of an asphalt company. I have my own office, the first one you walk by when you enter the building. We recently had a new employee in our sales department come around and introduce himself about a week ago. I was just sitting in my office, innocently pretending to be working incredibly hard. This guy comes in and says "Hi, I am Jeff. I am the new sales head, I heard that I come to you if I need a translator. Nice to meet you." Normal enough. We start talking about the last place he worked, and he made a joke about me being our minority haul (I am the youngest by far, the only Hispanic in the office, and the only girl). Right in the middle of our conversation, he stops talking and farts. Not just a little one. But he enthusiastically pushes out a four or five second long fart, all the while staring me right in the eyes. He then immediately walks out of my office. No, "I am sorry." "Excuse me." or "haha milk was a bad choice." He just leaves. I am left with this horrible fart stench, couldn't even finish my coffee.

I sat in my office for awhile, wondering what the hell just happened. Did the best prank ever just get pulled on me? Was it an accident? Was he embarrassed? Why did he look me in the eyes, oh God why didn't he break eye contact? I wanted to laugh, but I am genuinely a little offended. That was MY office, my smell domain. I don't go into his office, vomit, then leave.

Anyway, he came to me today and brought me a donut. No idea why. I didn't ask for one. No one else in the department was given any. Now I am so incredibly confused. Was this to atone for his fart? Is he screwing with my brain? I just want to know! I have never even thought this would ever be a scenario I have to navigate. What is this?

Replies

• kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    Hilarious.
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Is this real? Holy ish, thats an amazing story. You could file a complaint on the "minority haul" comment for sure.
  • Mikkimeow
    Options
    Is this real? Holy ish, thats an amazing story. You could file a complaint on the "minority haul" comment for sure.

Yes! It shouldn't be real, it is so ridiculous. I told all my MFP friends when it happened, and today he strikes again. Who does that?
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    You have made my day :flowerforyou:
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I've made my best friends in this life by accidentally farting in front of them, no lie. This may be the beginning of something beautiful...
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

Yes! It shouldn't be real, it is so ridiculous. I told all my MFP friends when it happened, and today he strikes again. Who does that?

it wont be fun, but you either should file a compaint, or speak to him directly and let him know how you feel about it.
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I would be grossed out, but probably not offended. Most men seriously just think of it as a normal bodily function (which it is), and just let it rip wherever they at no matter who they're around. Maybe he was bringing you an apology gift??

On the minority comment, though, I may have been offended on that one. Hard to tell for sure since it didn't happen to me. If you're uncomfortable about the situation, which you obviously are, maybe it would help to at least discuss it with someone above you.
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

2 days in a row? Strike my last comment. He is totally doing it on purpose. Report him to someone.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    Can't...Stop...Laughing...

Ok. Weird. You should do the same in his office. Then, buy him a doughnut later.
    All of this^, but make it a doughnut pillow.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Call him into your office, look him in the eye and say, "don't you ever pull that filth in front of me again. Are we clear?" Be stern. Be clear, and take no crap from this loser.

A guy at my work tried to be disrespectful to me in front of staff last month, and after I shook off the shock of what he did, I pulled him aside and said under no circumstances if he *ever* to treat me disrespectfully. He apologized profusely.

Stand up for yourself, your dignity. This guy is probably laughing with his buddies about it. And don't accept donuts from him until he learns respect.
  • dschassie
    dschassie Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I would have taken the donut and flat out asked if this was his peace offering for the introduction fart he welcomed you with. Situation is already awkward, how much worse can it get? And honestly, you never know, he might be so freaking embarrased about this whole thing that it might be a relief for him if you bring it up and "clear the air" Hahahaha, omg, I am laughing so hard right now!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I can just imagine somewhere else on the internet:

"OMG I can't believe what I did.... so stupid... I was at my new job chatting to this hot young chick who worked there, and the bean curry I ate the previous decided to wreak havoc in my gut... I was pretty sure I could sneak one out silently, but it came out so loud and I even sharted a little bit.... I tried to play it cool, like it had all been a big joke, but I really had to go to the bathroom, so I kind of just pretended like I wasn't about to make a mad dash for the bathroom and then when I was far enough away that she couldn't see me, I dashed to the bathroom.

The next day I bought her a donut, well, I don't know why really.... I suppose I was just trying to pretend like nothing had happened... but she was looking at me like I was some kind of crazy half-wit.... "
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I would have said "I'm a minority who doesn't eat donuts. You should have brought me my cultural food being that you think I'm a minority haul and all. Oh and if this is what you ate that made you fart like the last time, I don't need it." Then I would have said it in Spanish with "tone".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have to get something off my chest.

I have a desk job in the compliance department of an asphalt company. I have my own office, the first one you walk by when you enter the building. We recently had a new employee in our sales department come around and introduce himself about a week ago. I was just sitting in my office, innocently pretending to be working incredibly hard. This guy comes in and says "Hi, I am Jeff. I am the new sales head, I heard that I come to you if I need a translator. Nice to meet you." Normal enough. We start talking about the last place he worked, and he made a joke about me being our minority haul (I am the youngest by far, the only Hispanic in the office, and the only girl). Right in the middle of our conversation, he stops talking and farts. Not just a little one. But he enthusiastically pushes out a four or five second long fart, all the while staring me right in the eyes. He then immediately walks out of my office. No, "I am sorry." "Excuse me." or "haha milk was a bad choice." He just leaves. I am left with this horrible fart stench, couldn't even finish my coffee.

I sat in my office for awhile, wondering what the hell just happened. Did the best prank ever just get pulled on me? Was it an accident? Was he embarrassed? Why did he look me in the eyes, oh God why didn't he break eye contact? I wanted to laugh, but I am genuinely a little offended. That was MY office, my smell domain. I don't go into his office, vomit, then leave.

Anyway, he came to me today and brought me a donut. No idea why. I didn't ask for one. No one else in the department was given any. Now I am so incredibly confused. Was this to atone for his fart? Is he screwing with my brain? I just want to know! I have never even thought this would ever be a scenario I have to navigate. What is this?

Maybe he bought you a doughnut to say sorry for sh!tting in your office....
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Call him into your office, look him in the eye and say, "don't you ever pull that filth in front of me again. Are we clear?" Be stern. Be clear, and take no crap from this loser.

A guy at my work tried to be disrespectful to me in front of staff last month, and after I shook off the shock of what he did, I pulled him aside and said under no circumstances if he *ever* to treat me disrespectfully. He apologized profusely.

Stand up for yourself, your dignity. This guy is probably laughing with his buddies about it. And don't accept donuts from him until he learns respect.

Can't tell if you're joking or not. I just blame my farts at work on a medical condition.
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Could this have been like an initiation prank he was subjected to as the newest employee? Regardless, I think you two need to talk. Wow! OMG!
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I would return the favor. Tomorrow take him a donut.. and some Bean-o.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I can just imagine somewhere else on the internet:

"OMG I can't believe what I did.... so stupid... I was at my new job chatting to this hot young chick who worked there, and the bean curry I ate the previous decided to wreak havoc in my gut... I was pretty sure I could sneak one out silently, but it came out so loud and I even sharted a little bit.... I tried to play it cool, like it had all been a big joke, but I really had to go to the bathroom, so I kind of just pretended like I wasn't about to make a mad dash for the bathroom and then when I was far enough away that she couldn't see me, I dashed to the bathroom.

The next day I bought her a donut, well, I don't know why really.... I suppose I was just trying to pretend like nothing had happened... but she was looking at me like I was some kind of crazy half-wit.... "

This made me laugh even more than the OP!!!!
  • Mikkimeow
    Options
    I would be grossed out, but probably not offended. Most men seriously just think of it as a normal bodily function (which it is), and just let it rip wherever they at no matter who they're around. Maybe he was bringing you an apology gift??

On the minority comment, though, I may have been offended on that one. Hard to tell for sure since it didn't happen to me. If you're uncomfortable about the situation, which you obviously are, maybe it would help to at least discuss it with someone above you.

I wasn't offended at all about the minority comment. I grew up in a small town and heard much worse. People can be ignorant, I usually just let it roll off my shoulders. IF this guy is trying to make me look stupid, I want to say something. But what if he is just an accidental farter, and was too embarrassed to say it?