Replies

• goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    You need to give him an old fashioned "cup of cheese".
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I had a good laugh! Not at your expense, just at his nerve and the absurdity of the situation. I don't know whether he was being deliberately offensive or not. I don't know how I would have reacted. Who does that??!
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Am I reading right - it happened twice? This isn't funny. He's disrespecting and undermining you. Do not engage in retaliation. I agree with the comment above - stand up for yourself and be stern. If it happens again, report it to a superior.

I guess I should clarify. He didn't fart twice. Today was just a donut. But, it was without any explanation. He just handed me a donut in plastic and left. No hello or goodbye. No, I did not eat it.

Whew! Okay, then I think it was an accident and the donut was atonement. He's embarrassed. :flowerforyou:

Ditto! I was reading wrong,
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It was probably just an accident and he handled it poorly. Let it go. Filing a complaint when it is just his word against yours will get you nowhere.
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    An old colleague of mine farted in my office once, without hesitation I pulled out a bath & body work's fragrance mist I just happened to have sitting in my drawer and commenced to spray it in his direction. That was the last time he ever farted in my office.

Him giving you a donut was like the equivalent of a cat bringing you a dead lizard, he's just trying to be a friend...in a very awkward way.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Am I reading right - it happened twice? This isn't funny. He's disrespecting and undermining you. Do not engage in retaliation. I agree with the comment above - stand up for yourself and be stern. If it happens again, report it to a superior.

I guess I should clarify. He didn't fart twice. Today was just a donut. But, it was without any explanation. He just handed me a donut in plastic and left. No hello or goodbye. No, I did not eat it.

Whew! Okay, then I think it was an accident and the donut was atonement. He's embarrassed. :flowerforyou:

Ditto! I was reading wrong,

The donut is basically saying, "you complete me".
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Lick the donut and leave it on his desk. Make sure he sees you lick it.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Call him into your office, look him in the eye and say, "don't you ever pull that filth in front of me again. Are we clear?" Be stern. Be clear, and take no crap from this loser.

A guy at my work tried to be disrespectful to me in front of staff last month, and after I shook off the shock of what he did, I pulled him aside and said under no circumstances if he *ever* to treat me disrespectfully. He apologized profusely.

Stand up for yourself, your dignity. This guy is probably laughing with his buddies about it. And don't accept donuts from him until he learns respect.

^^^^^ I agree. Gotta out Alpha this guy. Dress him down, preferably in front of his co-workers.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    yes. unless you choose no, and then no.
  • _AwesomeSauce_
    Options
    Yes, doughnuts are the universal atonement for flatulence.
  • rumezzo
    rumezzo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    That story really does sound too awful to be true! Gross!

I think this might be a case of overanalyzing. I would have been horribly disgusted and offended as well, but I think the moment has passed to say or do anything about it. If right then, you had reminded him to excuse himself (you know, like I might my six year old son...who by the way always says excuse me in such cases of accidental gas emission). I'm probably known to do something a bit more passive aggressive like say, "Are you having an upset stomach? Would you like a Tums?" or something. Now I think it's too late. It's possible he doesn't remember. Or what if he didn't realize it was as loud as it was or as smelly, or he has a medical issue (not that it's less gross or excuses his lack of "excuse me").

If it WAS a prank of some kind, the best thing you can do is never acknowledge it. That takes the fun out of it. There's a story that floats around my family that my great great grandpa always took a shot of whiskey before his dinner. It was always out and ready for him. Well one night his sons thought it would be hilarious to exchange it for vinegar, and with he sat down to dinner, he shot that vinegar straight down. Never blinked or indicated in any way that something was amiss. No one would enjoy a laugh or claim the joke because then they'd be admitting guilt! So he foiled their prank. That's your best bet in this case I think.

I might have said thank you for the donut while he was there (he's rude, but the best way to show him that is to always be very mannerly regardless), but it sounds like he left too quickly. Even so, I doubt he did something as an apology for that. He sounds like someone with poor social skills and poor boundaries, based on the things he was saying too. I don't envy having him as a coworker.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I can just imagine somewhere else on the internet:

"OMG I can't believe what I did.... so stupid... I was at my new job chatting to this hot young chick who worked there, and the bean curry I ate the previous decided to wreak havoc in my gut... I was pretty sure I could sneak one out silently, but it came out so loud and I even sharted a little bit.... I tried to play it cool, like it had all been a big joke, but I really had to go to the bathroom, so I kind of just pretended like I wasn't about to make a mad dash for the bathroom and then when I was far enough away that she couldn't see me, I dashed to the bathroom.

The next day I bought her a donut, well, I don't know why really.... I suppose I was just trying to pretend like nothing had happened... but she was looking at me like I was some kind of crazy half-wit.... "

My first thoughts were something along this line.

agreed, there are moments in life that are so messed up, sometimes the only thing you can do....is walk away \m/

This. Let it go unless it becomes a pattern.
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Rude, unprofessional and simply immature. Nip that in the bud and do it quickly. No one will take you seriously in your career if you allow people to make you the butt of their jokes (no pun intended).

As far as the donut... I would be too afraid of what he did to it to eat it. A dozen scenarios running through my mind and none of them are cute or funny.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Please tell me you didn't eat the donut. Anyone who has the audacity to do what he did....well I wouldn't trust what he may have done to the donut.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    He farted in front of you and brought you a donut. He's totally in love with you

Is that love? I don't want to be in love then.
    That's like 3rd base on the road to a happy marriage
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Then let it slide. The last thing you want is to be known as "the chick who lost her **** over a fart".

He used a dumb ice-breaker, ripped a raw one and brought you a doughnut as some kind of awkward apology. If any of it happens again, take him aside and make it clear it's unacceptable. If it happens again... HR, I guess.

ETA : but yeah, don't eat the doughnut. Just in case.
  • rumezzo
    rumezzo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Please tell me you didn't eat the donut. Anyone who has the audacity to do what he did....well I wouldn't trust what he may have done to the donut.

I was thinking the same thing!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    3023108-8004800126-media_preview.php

But I am laughing my *kitten* off.

tumblr_ligk7bsNcO1qhbza4o1_r1_500.gif
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Put a horses head in his bed and a dead fish on his desk.......

Or reverse it. The fish in the bed will be hard to get the smell out.