A question about weighted squats

Options
k8blujay2
k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
Today I'm going to get my booty back into the gym and lift some weights. But I have a question about weighted squats.

Is it better to use dumbbells or a smith machine, in lieu of the squat rack?

Right now I just don't have access to a squat rack. The gym I go to does not have have one. Changing gyms is not an option right now as the one I go to is affordable and convenient.

Replies

• rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    All I have are dumbbells and they work fine for me. I think as long as you have good form they are a great option. JMO
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'd try goblet squats with a dumbbell. I think you will prefer the form of those as it's closer to a bodyweight squat. The Smith just feels really awkward and keeps the back in the wrong position.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Smith machine.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    I was thinking dumbbells would be the better option, as I'm nowhere near maxing those out yet and perhaps by then I will have access to a squat rack... I don't remember the smith feeling so awkward when I was younger... but that may be because I had a former Gold's Gym Personal Trainer as a teacher...
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Smith machine.

No.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Smith machine.

No.
    This \m/
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Smith machine.

No.

And why? You honestly think dumbbells are superior?

Or are you one of the "elitist" who can hardly lift anything, yet have a detrimental hate for smith machines.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I'd try goblet squats with a dumbbell. I think you will prefer the form of those as it's closer to a bodyweight squat. The Smith just feels really awkward and keeps the back in the wrong position.

this
  • k8blujay2
    Options

That seems easy enough. I say that now... ;)
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Smith machine.

No.

To a Smith machine? Absolutely.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    do they have a hack squat? I like hack squats as they are not as hard on the knees when you are lifting heavy.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd use dumb bells and make sure you're also doing other exercises like leg presses, leg extensions, etc. I tend to feel a lot of stress in my knees whenever I use the smith machine for squats regardless of my foot position, but if you can do it comfortably it can be a good option.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I use kettle bells.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Or are you one of the "elitist" who can hardly lift anything, yet have a detrimental hate for smith machines.

Well, I can only squat nearly twice my body weight right now, but in a few years, I might be lifting something really impressive.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Smith machine.

No.

DYEL? Smith machines but your body in the wrong position in a squat. It puts added strain on your knees and back and limits the range of motion.

http://stronglifts.com/smith-machine-squats-power-rack-free-weights/
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Smith machine.

No.

To a Smith machine? Absolutely.

x2...smith machines really???? yes they are superior in all ways to a smith machine.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Well, I can only squat nearly twice my body weight right now, but in a few years, I might be lifting something really impressive.

giphy.gif
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I suppose it depends on how much weight you are using. I personally had to stop using dumbbells once I passed the 100 pound mark. It just became too difficult for me to hold them.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Smith machine.

No.

I'm not an elitist. Smith machine provides an unnatural movement pattern and removes the stabilization element from the squat. It can force your body into an unnatural squat position and increases torque on lower back and knees.

Goblet squats, suit case squats, zercher squats (Don't need a rack, just a barbell). You can add difficulty to dumbbells by doing split squats or Bulgarian split squats.