A question about weighted squats

Options

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Smith machine.

No.

And why? You honestly think dumbbells are superior?

Or are you one of the "elitist" who can hardly lift anything, yet have a detrimental hate for smith machines.

DYEL? Smith machines but your body in the wrong position in a squat. It puts added strain on your knees and back and limits the range of motion.

http://stronglifts.com/smith-machine-squats-power-rack-free-weights/

DYEL? Yep... maxing out on 480 squatting on free.

That is Stronglifts personal opinion, not pure factual or backed info by any means. But, I also prefer free.... that being said, if I had to pick between smith or dumbbells I'd pick smith, my own personal preference.

So what you're saying is it is your personal opinion and also not backed by factual info. Makes sense.

Also OP, Dumbbell would be far superior when compared to a smith machine.

Redudant or superfluous much, bro?
  • Efflictim
    Efflictim Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I use kettle bells.

Same here
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    There are any number of ways to challenge yourself with squats without resorting to using a Smith Machine (which is horrible). Ultimately if you are actually going to "strength" train...ie low reps (1-6) and heavy (relative to lifter) you will need a barbell and squat rack or power rack...but you don't have to strength train all of the time (unless you want to or you want to be a power lifter).

You can make plenty of great progress with kettle bells and dumbbells, though your progress will be limited by what you can support with your hands and arms...i.e. the squats will become pretty easy requiring you to increase weight...but your arms, wrists, etc may not be able to handle the increased load...which is when you need to get under a barbell.

There are about a million varieties of squats and lunge type of movements. Frankly, I know a number of people who've never lifted a barbell and who do primarily body weight work who have outstanding physiques and are very strong....of course, they make sure they are constantly challenging themselves by making their movements more and more challenging which is the key to resistance training...so long as you are progressively overloading your body's capabilities you will make progress.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest whenever you can, join another gym. I gym with no squat rack at all is no gym. But, that's just me.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    BTW. You post a video of you squatting 480 with good form atg and I will issue a public apology and squat in the smith machine for a month....hell.....3 months......because we all know that won't happen.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have a leg press machine?.

I would do goblet and/or pistol squats. Add some leg presses in, and do deads for your posterior chain.

I would not use a smith.

I do have access to leg press machines... that is one thing my gym has an abundance of.... isolation machines.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mwxlaupZ901r61a7no3_250.giftumblr_mwxlaupZ901r61a7no2_250.gif
    tumblr_mwxlaupZ901r61a7no4_250.giftumblr_mwxlaupZ901r61a7no1_250.gif
    tumblr_mwxlaupZ901r61a7no5_250.giftumblr_mwxlaupZ901r61a7no6_250.gif

LOVE THIS
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Smith machine.

No.

And why? You honestly think dumbbells are superior?

Or are you one of the "elitist" who can hardly lift anything, yet have a detrimental hate for smith machines.
    Squats are a compound exercise, meaning they work far more than your quads/glutes and builds overall body strength. When you use a Smith Machine it becomes and isolation exercise and depending on your stance/foot placement it will target different muscle areas alone. You might as well spend hours rotating between the leg press, extension and curl machines.

:flowerforyou: This makes perfect sense, but I have no doubt that someone will try to argue against it anyway.
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

I <3 BroScience!

to the OP: IMO, dumbbells/kettlebells/etc > Smith machine.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The smith machine is safer because you're pretty well locked in place. If you do dumbbells, you may want to buy some lifting straps to help hold the weight. The straps will allow you to use more weight so you can work your legs closer to fatigue before your grip gives out. Another option is body weight squats, one leg at a time.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your help. :flowerforyou:

I wouldn't put myself in the heavy lifting catagory... but the trying to get there... I do plan on joining a new gym when I outgrow this one... It's just the one that has a deal with my work place for our wellness incentive program.... I need to find one that is within a close proximity to my workplace so I can keep going during my lunch hour. And squat rack is on my list.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing your gym has a hack squat machine? Usually by the leg press.

I like hack squats for the safety they provide when I workout with no spot. If you take them really low, it's still a great squat. Sure, you don't get the core stabilizing challenge that comes with the barbell, but it's a good building block.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

That is Stronglifts personal opinion, not pure factual or backed info by any means. But, I also prefer free.... that being said, if I had to pick between smith or dumbbells I'd pick smith, my own personal preference.

So what you're saying is it is your personal opinion and also not backed by factual info. Makes sense.

tumblr_m2rx5e6a7I1qitsi0o2_r1_250.gif

Cool off "bro"...
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

tumblr_m2rx5e6a7I1qitsi0o2_r1_250.gif

Cool off "bro"...

he mad.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

This is the best thing I've seen in a long time.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Well, I can only squat nearly twice my body weight right now, but in a few years, I might be lifting something really impressive.

That's .... cool, I guess. But that wasn't directed towards you..... 0.o?

Casey, he's right. Hes referring to people who have a "detrimental" has for smith machines. Your hate for them is anything but detrimental.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I <3 BroScience!

to the OP: IMO, dumbbells/kettlebells/etc > Smith machine.

Better yet, just consult Dom's video on how to skip leg day and stop worrying about squats altogether.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Actually I do some form of squats every day but not the same form... I.e. one day I will do dumbells on my shoulders. The next I will stand on two steps (opening between them) and hold a heavy weight between my legs and squat until I get it below the steps into the hole... then goblet squats one day. Then smith one day.

Why not use everything? Each one is just a little different enough and leg positioning can work different muscles.
  • da_bears1008
    da_bears1008 Posts: 354
    Options
    Actually I do some form of squats every day but not the same form... I.e. one day I will do dumbells on my shoulders. The next I will stand on two steps (opening between them) and hold a heavy weight between my legs and squat until I get it below the steps into the hole... then goblet squats one day. Then smith one day.

Why not use everything? Each one is just a little different enough and leg positioning can work different muscles.

I am trying to picture the 2nd form of squatting, and all i can picture is someone squatting over a hole to poop in it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have a leg press machine?.

I would do goblet and/or pistol squats. Add some leg presses in, and do deads for your posterior chain.

I would not use a smith.

Always listen to Sara.