A question about weighted squats

Options

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Smith machine.

No.

And why? You honestly think dumbbells are superior?

Or are you one of the "elitist" who can hardly lift anything, yet have a detrimental hate for smith machines.

DYEL? Smith machines but your body in the wrong position in a squat. It puts added strain on your knees and back and limits the range of motion.

http://stronglifts.com/smith-machine-squats-power-rack-free-weights/

DYEL? Yep... maxing out on 480 squatting on free.

That is Stronglifts personal opinion, not pure factual or backed info by any means. But, I also prefer free.... that being said, if I had to pick between smith or dumbbells I'd pick smith, my own personal preference.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Smith machine.

No.

Or are you one of the "elitist" who can hardly lift anything, yet have a detrimental hate for smith machines.

I'm not an elitist. Smith machine provides an unnatural movement pattern and removes the stabilization element from the squat. It can force your body into an unnatural squat position and increases torque on lower back and knees.

Goblet squats, suit case squats, zercher squats (Don't need a rack, just a barbell). You can add difficulty to dumbbells by doing split squats or Bulgarian split squats.

:flowerforyou:
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Go with the goblet squat, split squat, or bulgarian squat as some may have already said. The smith machine has it's place in a routine. Squats IMO is not one of them. Google any of these.
  • azrielda
    azrielda Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If there are absolutely no squat stands/powercages, dumbbells are better as smith machines actually puts your back into a bad position, setting you up for a greater risk of injury later on. I recommend split squats as you only need dumbels and a raised surface, plus they are amazing for your glutes ????.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

Well, I can only squat nearly twice my body weight right now, but in a few years, I might be lifting something really impressive.

That's .... cool, I guess. But that wasn't directed towards you..... 0.o?
  • _GingerSnap_
    _GingerSnap_ Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Well, I can only squat nearly twice my body weight right now, but in a few years, I might be lifting something really impressive.

*Long distance high five* You win.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Smith machine.

No.

DYEL? Smith machines but your body in the wrong position in a squat. It puts added strain on your knees and back and limits the range of motion.

That is Stronglifts personal opinion, not pure factual or backed info by any means. But, I also prefer free.... that being said, if I had to pick between smith or dumbbells I'd pick smith, my own personal preference.

So what you're saying is it is your personal opinion and also not backed by factual info. Makes sense.

Also OP, Dumbbell would be far superior when compared to a smith machine.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I was stuck in the same predicament for a while.

Regardless of what you choose, practice good form. Research it and know it.

Good luck and hopefully you will have access to a rack soon enough.
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you have lifted or done squats in a long time I would only use your body weight to get started. Do body weight squats for the first week or two just to make sure you've got good form, you're able to go as low as you want to go, and that your ankles/knees/hips are all pain-free while squatting. Much better to find this out with your own body weight before adding additional weight to your squats. A similar exercise that I highly recommend without using additional weight are simple lunges. I promise you, if you've not done these for some time, your own body weight will be sufficient. A combination of body weight squats and lunges will keep you plenty sore for the first few weeks before you need to use any weight.

Lastly, as others have said, steer clear of the smith machine. Limiting your range of motion really does put unnecessary stress on certain joins, the knees in particular.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would say goblet squats, with either a dumbbell or kettle bell. It is much easier to get proper form on this type of squat rather than smith machine or holding one dumbbell in each hand.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Smith machine.

No.

And as I stated....your personal preference is wrong. But keep doing what you're doing...Just don't try to spew the nonsense to people who don't know better.

crazy-weight-lifting.jpg
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I was stuck in the same predicament for a while.

Regardless of what you choose, practice good form. Research it and know it.

Good luck and hopefully you will have access to a rack soon enough.

That is the problem with Smith machine, it doesn't allow you to use proper form.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Smith machine.

No.

Squats are a compound exercise, meaning they work far more than your quads/glutes and builds overall body strength. When you use a Smith Machine it becomes and isolation exercise and depending on your stance/foot placement it will target different muscle areas alone. You might as well spend hours rotating between the leg press, extension and curl machines.
  • JLuckett05
    JLuckett05 Posts: 12
    Options

SNAP!!!

I'd prefer dumbells. I've used smith machines for accessory work, but they tend to hurt my knees and back too much to use them as an actual squat machine. Goblets are a good suggestion, and do some lunges for single leg type stuff. Nothing wrong with dumbells at all.

( by the way, if someone asks, I squatted 425 for 5 a couple of weeks ago. Not quite twice bodyweight, unfortunately )
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I used dumbells as I workout at home. Works for me.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Go with the goblet squat as some have already said. The smith machine has it's place in a routine. Squats IMO is not one of them.

This. She didn't ask about shrugs.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Wow! That is pretty great. I can't wait until I get there... Though I will so I don't hurt myself. ;)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a leg press, I would recommend using that along with your dumbbell squats. Squats have a functional training benefit that is independent of the strength training results, so IMO some kind of squat should always be in your program. However, if you are not able to do heavy squats, then a leg press serves the purpose of pushing heavy iron while you are building up your squat strength and form. I am a little wary of using the Smith machine for the same purpose out of concern that it might compromise your squat form.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have a leg press machine?.

I would do goblet and/or pistol squats. Add some leg presses in, and do deads for your posterior chain.

I would not use a smith.
  • da_bears1008
    da_bears1008 Posts: 354
    Options
    tumblr_mwxlaupZ901r61a7no3_250.giftumblr_mwxlaupZ901r61a7no2_250.gif
    tumblr_mwxlaupZ901r61a7no4_250.giftumblr_mwxlaupZ901r61a7no1_250.gif
    tumblr_mwxlaupZ901r61a7no5_250.giftumblr_mwxlaupZ901r61a7no6_250.gif