A question about weighted squats

Options

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Actually I do some form of squats every day but not the same form... I.e. one day I will do dumbells on my shoulders. The next I will stand on two steps (opening between them) and hold a heavy weight between my legs and squat until I get it below the steps into the hole... then goblet squats one day. Then smith one day.

Why not use everything? Each one is just a little different enough and leg positioning can work different muscles.

hold a heavy weight between your legs and squat till you get it into the hole? Yeah...I like that one too.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Why not use everything?

Because I want to be as strong as genetically possible, not be good at various artistic forms of squatting.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing your gym has a hack squat machine? Usually by the leg press.

I like hack squats for the safety they provide when I workout with no spot. If you take them really low, it's still a great squat. Sure, you don't get the core stabilizing challenge that comes with the barbell, but it's a good building block.

I don't think my gym has that. I don't know if I have ever seen one to know though.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing your gym has a hack squat machine? Usually by the leg press.

I like hack squats for the safety they provide when I workout with no spot. If you take them really low, it's still a great squat. Sure, you don't get the core stabilizing challenge that comes with the barbell, but it's a good building block.

I don't think my gym has that. I don't know if I have ever seen one to know though.

It looks like this :

power-strength-hack-squat-18.jpg
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Actually I do some form of squats every day but not the same form... I.e. one day I will do dumbells on my shoulders. The next I will stand on two steps (opening between them) and hold a heavy weight between my legs and squat until I get it below the steps into the hole... then goblet squats one day. Then smith one day.

I kinda can't stop laughing at the visual.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if I had a choice of the two, I would forego squatting entirely.

There are other options though. In the first gym, which I outgrew, I actually used a bench that had a high rack and so basically did box squats. You can also just squat with what you can Clean. Failing those two options, a combination of leg press/hack squat/bulgarian split squat.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    bulgarian split squat.q

this is the best option of anything mentioned so far, goblets squats are great but you will get limited very quickly buy how much weight you can actually hold in that position...not by how strong your legs are.

image007.png

one of the most underrated movements out there.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    By in lieu of are you saying you just don’t want to use the squat rack or that there isn’t one at your gym? Either way, I like both (I prefer free) but if you want the free movement that a smith machine fails to give you Goblet squats are great. It’s again a preference but I prefer using kettle bells if they are available.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

There are other options though. In the first gym, which I outgrew, I actually used a bench that had a high rack and so basically did box squats. You can also just squat with what you can Clean. Failing those two options, a combination of leg press/hack squat/bulgarian split squat.

What do you mean "what I can clean"? I'm asking sincerely as I have seen this term a few times....
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    By in lieu of are you saying you just don’t want to use the squat rack or that there isn’t one at your gym? Either way, I like both (I prefer free) but if you want the free movement that a smith machine fails to give you Goblet squats are great. It’s again a preference but I prefer using kettle bells if they are available.

There is not one at my gym.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options

It sounds like you have already outgrown your gym as it does not have the equipment to do what you would like to do.

Are you in a contract? How long before you are able to switch? Perhaps you will be able to make decent progress with dumb bell squats in the meantime.

For me, neither dumb bell squats or Smith machine squats are really comparable to squatting with the bar on my back.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I use a couple 30 pound dumbbells... works for me!
  • k8blujay2
    Options

It sounds like you have already outgrown your gym as it does not have the equipment to do what you would like to do.

Are you in a contract? How long before you are able to switch? Perhaps you will be able to make decent progress with dumb bell squats in the meantime.

For me, neither dumb bell squats or Smith machine squats are really comparable to squatting with the bar on my back.

Nope. No contract. As long as it takes me to either get the registration fee to another gym... Which will probaby be next month.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

What do you mean "what I can clean"? I'm asking sincerely as I have seen this term a few times....
    Clean is a lift - a movement from Olympic lifting that attempts to transfer the weight from the floor to chest height. There's a standard clean, which involves dropping more under the bar (more advanced) and the power clean, where you catch the bar higher but it is less technical

Clean : http://youtu.be/60D_lTybHQk
    Power Clean : http://youtu.be/KjGvwQl8tis
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options

I kinda can't stop laughing at the visual.

Wow... I didnt think about my wording before I submitted this one!! LOL - its a normal squat while holding a dumbell vertically between your legs hanging down. If you squat to parallel, the dumbell hits the ground eventually depending on what weight/size you are using for the dumbell. So if you stand with one leg on a step and your other leg on a different step, so there is a few inches between them, you can squat below parallel while holding the dumbell.

I couldnt find a pic... but now enjoying picturing what it must have sounded like the first time!!!
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    bulgarian split squat.q

this is the best option of anything mentioned so far, goblets squats are great but you will get limited very quickly buy how much weight you can actually hold in that position...not by how strong your legs are.

image007.png

one of the most underrated movements out there.
    [/quote

I love/hate these. :laugh:
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Clean is a lift - a movement from Olympic lifting that attempts to transfer the weight from the floor to chest height. There's a standard clean, which involves dropping more under the bar (more advanced) and the power clean, where you catch the bar higher but it is less technical

Clean : http://youtu.be/60D_lTybHQk
    Power Clean : http://youtu.be/KjGvwQl8tis

Thanks.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Why not use everything?

Because I want to be as strong as genetically possible, not be good at various artistic forms of squatting.

I simply meant you dont have to pick one type... you can try out a few or mix it up a bit. Each works different muscles, some use more core than others or get some arms in etc. Yes traditional barbell squats are the king, but I like variety and I like working accessory muscles to help with functionality.

That being said, smith is my least favorite - leaves bruises on my shoulders and doesnt seem to work anything but legs...
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    We use flat weights for weighted squats in Body Pump.
  • chemkid11
    chemkid11 Posts: 1
    Options
    There are some many exercises for your butt that do not require weights. Yes there are high repetition but you burn calories and lift that butt up. Body weight first, its faster and there is no need for spotters.

http://www.prevention.com/fitness/fitness-tips/5-moves-seriously-lift-your-butt?s=1

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/trainers-reveal-best-butt-exercises-all-time

(most do not require weights of other equipment).