Gentlemen, its perfectly ok to comment on my weight loss!

Options
Male coworker of mine said to me the other day "wow, you really are losing weight!, I dont know if thats appropriate or not to say, but I can tell you are losing weight"

Men, trust me, no woman will ever be offended for commenting on a weight loss:)
please feel free to comment away!!!

Replies

• ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    TRUE STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • piersonj
    piersonj Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Actually, I know I am in the minority, but I hate when someone comments on my weight loss. People commenting on how much weight I had loss was the reason I stopped losing weight the first time around. In a time of weakness I actually contemplated intentionally regaining the weight to get people to get off my back and leave me alone.
  • kathrynpharper
    kathrynpharper Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm with piersonj. I would rather people keep their thoughts about my body weight --positive or negative -- to themselves.
  • jeskuhsmeekers
    jeskuhsmeekers Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I wish everyone i saw noticed my weight loss haha I worked hard for this and it feels good to have my efforts noticed. It puts a little pep in your step and just makes you feel good. So yes men comment away
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Not always true! I went back to my old college for a 5k race this past year, and saw a bunch of my old teammates from the crew team I was on. At anafterparty later that night one of the guys decided in the middle of a conversation with a large group of old friends and new acquaintances to stop the conversation and announce loudly-everyone look at her--seriously she's lost sooo much weight.

No one said anything, there was a long awkward silence, and it just made me feel ridiculously uncomfortable and got me thinking about how bad I had looked before, not feeling great about my loss and improvements in fitness. Usually I can take a compliment, but having a spotlight put on me in front of this large group just made me feel so uncomfortable.

Some people may get discouraged if people *don't* comment on their weightloss, but I know at least for me I would prefer if people kept their thoughts to themselves. Something to keep in mind before you go commenting away-not everyone enjoys it!
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Actually, I know I am in the minority, but I hate when someone comments on my weight loss. People commenting on how much weight I had loss was the reason I stopped losing weight the first time around. In a time of weakness I actually contemplated intentionally regaining the weight to get people to get off my back and leave me alone.

wow, this makes me sad for you
  • ninav1980
    Options
    Not always true! I went back to my old college for a 5k race this past year, and saw a bunch of my old teammates from the crew team I was on. At anafterparty later that night one of the guys decided in the middle of a conversation with a large group of old friends and new acquaintances to stop the conversation and announce loudly-everyone look at her--seriously she's lost sooo much weight.

No one said anything, there was a long awkward silence, and it just made me feel ridiculously uncomfortable and got me thinking about how bad I had looked before, not feeling great about my loss and improvements in fitness. Usually I can take a compliment, but having a spotlight put on me in front of this large group just made me feel so uncomfortable.

Some people may get discouraged if people *don't* comment on their weightloss, but I know at least for me I would prefer if people kept their thoughts to themselves. Something to keep in mind before you go commenting away-not everyone enjoys it!

I would've owned it and strutted around and taken pride in my weight loss. I guess everyone handles things differently.
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Weight loss or not, you look great! Good for you!
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Some do, some don't. I hate when people talk about any weight loss. Half the time I haven't lost anything, but it always has me wondering, what if the weight loss was due to illness like my weight gain has been? I have a friend who is very ill and has consistently been losing weight. At that point it's not a cause for celebration, but something very painful to deal with. Or what if the person has relapsed in an eating disorder? Wouldn't it be an encouragement for them to continue down that path?

And then I think on the flip side, would I want people to comment on weight gain? If commenting on weight loss is fine, why isn't the reverse true? I hated the comments when I gained weight. I have metabolic issues I'm being treated for, and gained weight out of nowhere. It was something out of my control. Add an injury to it, and we all know where that goes. I hate how people would point out how fat I had gotten. I wouldn't wish anyone felt that bad, no matter if it was due to weight gain or weight loss. So in my opinion, not ok to comment ever unless she's fishing for it.
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

OP, good for you for being proud of your weight loss, but you are the one who started the thread by speaking for half the population on the planet. You have no right to give a snarky response to someone who simply expressed that she doesn't fall under your blanket statement.

Anyway, congrats on your weight loss.
  • ninav1980
    Options

OP, good for you for being proud of your weight loss, but you are the one who started the thread by speaking for half the population on the planet. You have no right to give a snarky response to someone who simply expressed that she doesn't fall under your blanket statement.

but you have a right to reprimand me? Same difference:huh:

thats how I feel. It IS sad if someone is that insecure they would rather gain weight. Thats my opinion.
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I agree 110%. Love to know the hard work is paying off!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

thats how I feel. It IS sad if someone is that insecure they would rather gain weight. Thats my opinion.

Yup, that's how YOU feel. so:
    Men, trust me, no woman will ever be offended for commenting on a weight loss:)
    please feel free to comment away!!!

isn't really accurate is it? In the space of a very short time you have proof that a lot of women mind if someone comments on their weight loss...
  • ninav1980
    Options
    geez, bunch of kill joys

USUALLY, if someone is working out and working hard, they don't have any problems with people commenting on weight loss. This is how all the women in my life feel and every woman I have ever met feel as well.
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

I didn't start a thread speaking for all women. You did, and then you gave attitude to people who expressed an opinion different from your own. And "same difference" is an oxymoron.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I suspect it has a lot to do with your self confidence. I've been amazed how even the most trivial of things can affect people with very low self confidence and sometimes it feels like they're going out of their way to misconstrue innocuous comments as offensive/mean, even when the comment was meant to be complimentary or at worst constructive criticism. All that to say - I can see some people taking such comments negatively, but those same people would probably take a lot of other comments negatively as well.

In any event, you look great and to the people that feel bad when people try and compliment them, hopefully they get to a point where they're proud of their accomplishments and where they are today, rather than dwelling on negatives like how they looked in the past.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    geez, bunch of kill joys

USUALLY, if someone is working out and working hard, they don't have any problems with people commenting on weight loss. This is how all the women in my life feel and every woman I have ever met feel as well.

33uy4d3.gif
  • stefaery
    stefaery Posts: 9
    Options

You are not alone. When I was younger I lost A LOT of weight (60-ish pounds?) all on my own with pure willpower and determination, (always very proud of 13 year old me). When I was down to 115-120 I FELT great and looked great in the mirror but my family and my friend CONSTANTLY commented on how "skinny" I was and how "little" I was and when I would cuddle with my friend she called me "boney"... All these comments got to me and I gained around 30 pounds.

(If it matters, my family and friend at the time were all overweight... so maybe, I dunno, that could mean something towards the comments on my figure.)

I'm a lot older now and what people say matters less. I just can't wait to shed all the pounds I've gained and feel awesome no matter what people say!
  • ninav1980
    Options

I didn't start a thread speaking for all women. You did, and then you gave attitude to people who expressed an opinion different from your own. And "same difference" is an oxymoron.

ok, thank you have a good day
    please carry on
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Okay, so this thread is on page one, and somebody with 34 responses in 3 YEARS comes in to a thread complains, and its off to the races with the nitpicking. WTF folks? Look at this way, what is being said which is positive? Who is posting something positive? If someone notices your weight loss I would think this is a positive. Sweet Jesus people, lighten up!