Veganish lol

Options

Replies

• LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I totally understand that veganism is a SERIOUS "lifestyle." thats why I speicifically said veganISH and vegeterianism is so confusing these days. I said vegan as opposed to have to typing out "NON-LACTO VEGETERIAN" but I apparently was forced out of my laziness anyways.

No.....I don't think you DO understand.
    found the vegan

LOL. Nope. I luvs me hamburgers. I do have admiration for true Vegans. It's not an easy lifestyle. Just get tired of fad dieters labeling their eating styles incorrectly. Because it's you know...trendy. Pet peeve. :smile:
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    I totally understand that veganism is a SERIOUS "lifestyle." thats why I speicifically said veganISH and vegeterianism is so confusing these days. I said vegan as opposed to have to typing out "NON-LACTO VEGETERIAN" but I apparently was forced out of my laziness anyways.

found the vegan

LOL. Nope. I luvs me hamburgers. I do have admiration for true Vegans. It's not an easy lifestyle. Just get tired of fad dieters labeling their eating styles incorrectly. Because it's you know...trendy. Pet peeve. :smile:
    lol fair enough. and i do as well, just not when people get all self righteous about their lifestyle compared to others, which i see now obviously you werent. my apologies
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

found the vegan

lol fair enough. and i do as well, just not when people get all self righteous about their lifestyle compared to others, which i see now obviously you werent. my apologies

We aren't all like that. Though I'm not Vegan. I am a vegetarian - 24 years. I was taught that I can only make decisions for myself. I don't like people preaching to me about anything, so I don't do that to anyone. Who am I to decide what's right for someone else?

With that said, I'm thinking the OP has learned that they shouldn't call it Veganish. As others have stated if you're still going to use animal products of any kind, it's not Vegan. I'm confused why you think vegetarianism is so confusing...you are either vegetarian or not. I personally don't believe in this pescatarian, lacto-ovo vegetarian. You either eat meat or you don't. To me, it's that simple. If you still eat fish, you're an omnivore. Whoever in the world decided we needed 500 new names for every single little thing should get a kick in the pants. And don't get me started on the term flexitarian. UGH.

OP - If you want to cut meat out great. You don't have to label it. I definitely wouldn't label it Vegan because if you run into a vegan wearing a leather belt and you say that, just be prepared for some words/looks, etc. It'd be easier/better for you just to not label it at all. Just that you are eating better for you.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    OP - you probably need to eat heartier breakfasts and lunches. Oatmeal, sandwiches, veggie burgers. I like seitan but it does take some cooking time - not much prep time but it is at least an hour to steam. Or you could buy it ready-made. I also have been eating sloppy joes made with lentils but not even bothering with buns, it's so good by itself. Lentils are quicker than regular beans - or you can buy canned.

Have you read through any cookbooks? I'm sure there are 'quick and easy' vegan cookbooks at the library/bookstore.

Try a tofu scramble when you find tofu. You need to add lots of flavor to tofu, it doesn't have much by itself. There's a good recipe on the PPK (post punk kitchen) website - sloppy joe recipe is there too (Snobby Joes).
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    This is giving me "flexitarian" flashbacks. Being a vegan is like being dead; you are or you are not. There is no "vegan-ish," just like there is no "dead-ish."
  • LifeWithPie
    Options

found the vegan

We cool. :flowerforyou:
  • LifeWithPie
    Options
    WTF is flexitarian? Serious question.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Staaaaaahp...I said don't get me started. Someone might get hurt.

But...here's it's definition...
    Question: What is a "flexitarian"?

Answer: What is a flexitarian? You don’t have to be vegetarian to love vegetarian food! “Flexitarian” is a term recently coined to describe those who eat a mostly vegetarian diet, but occasionally eat meat. Many people who call themselves "flexitarian" or "semi-vegetarian" have given up red meat for health reasons while others, for environmental reasons, only eat free-range or organic animals and animal products.

"semi-vegetarian" - NO SUCH THING.

A flexitarian is essentially an omnivore.
  • mark_finewood
    mark_finewood Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Initially, when I went vegetarian, I was confused about the different types of vegetarians. Here's a page that describes the various vegetarian classifications:
    http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianvegan101/tp/TypesofVeg.htm

In short;
    Pescatarian = abstain from eating all meat and animal flesh with the exception of fish.

Vegetarian = People who do not eat beef, pork, poultry, fish, shellfish or animal flesh of any kind, but do eat eggs and dairy products.

Lacto-vegetarian = a vegetarian who does not eat eggs, but does eat dairy products.

Ovo-vegetarian = people who do not eat meat or dairy products but do eat eggs.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I was about to say, "WTF is a flexitarian?"

Then I realized there's a damn echo in here and someone is about to get smacked...
  • FauxFoxx
    FauxFoxx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of great vegan tumblr blogs if you're into that. :) Otherwise search vegetarian or vegan as there are also quite a few groups here! I was vegetarian for over six years before I started to eat meat again, and now I'm back as a pescetarian. Also, should sign up for pinterest. Lots of yummy recipes there!
  • LifeWithPie
    Options

Staaaaaahp...I said don't get me started. Someone might get hurt.

But...here's it's definition...
    Question: What is a "flexitarian"?

Answer: What is a flexitarian? You don’t have to be vegetarian to love vegetarian food! “Flexitarian” is a term recently coined to describe those who eat a mostly vegetarian diet, but occasionally eat meat. Many people who call themselves "flexitarian" or "semi-vegetarian" have given up red meat for health reasons while others, for environmental reasons, only eat free-range or organic animals and animal products.

"semi-vegetarian" - NO SUCH THING.

A flexitarian is essentially an omnivore.

Flexitarian=quite possibly the dumbest thing ever.
    Got it.

Sorry I brought it up, it won't happen again. Unless someone starts a thread about it......muhahahaha
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Oh cool...I'm a flexitarian then. I was a lacto vegetarian for breakfast (coffee, greek yogurt), but then I became a chicken-atarian for lunch (chopped salad with chicken), and I just became an ovo vegetarian a few minutes ago (hard boiled egg and a kiwi). Don't know what I'm going to be for dinner -- maybe I'll just eat a steak and be a carnivore. But that would mean no vegetables. Poor veggies. :(
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Eating a vegetarian meal sometimes and a non vegetarian meal other times has a f**king WORD?

I can't. I just can't.
  • LifeWithPie
    Options
    Oh cool...I'm a flexitarian then. I was a lacto vegetarian for breakfast (coffee, greek yogurt), but then I became a chicken-atarian for lunch (chopped salad with chicken), and I just became an ovo vegetarian a few minutes ago (hard boiled egg and a kiwi). Don't know what I'm going to be for dinner -- maybe I'll just eat a steak and be a carnivore. But that would mean no vegetables. Poor veggies. :(

High-Five!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Eating a vegetarian meal sometimes and a non vegetarian meal other times has a f**king WORD?

I can't. I just can't.

Exactly. Dumbest word ever.
  • da_bears1008
    da_bears1008 Posts: 354
    Options

I can't. I just can't.

So having a salad as a side to my steak makes me a flexatarian?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

I can't. I just can't.
    I had cereal for breakfast and bacon for dinner, so I am flexitarian, right?
  • LifeWithPie
    Options

I can't. I just can't.

So having a salad as a side to my steak makes me a flexatarian?

Yes. Yes it does.
  • LifeWithPie
    Options

I can't. I just can't.
    I had cereal for breakfast and bacon for dinner, so I am flexitarian, right?

Well...was it free-range, organic, unicorn bacon?