Veganish lol

Options

Replies

• anaveryisland
    Options
    I've been vegan for 5 years, and I don't find it hard at all! That being said, you HAVE to enjoy researching food/food alternatives, cooking, etc.

There are a MILLION ways to eat chocolate while being vegan. Buy a vegan candy bar- there are tons of them. They probably aren't the ones you're used to eating, so branch out. Or make your own! Here is my "raw" chocolate recipe: 3 T raw cacao powder, 3 T melted coconut oil, 2 T Maple syrup (pure). Stir-pour into mini cupcake holders-freeze. SO DELICIOUS!

Like I said, read a lot of books- research, research, research!

Also, you have to look at the glass half full or you're not going to make it. Think of it as: I can't eat 3 things (dairy, meat, eggs). Not the other way around. But, that being said, maybe you just aren't ready. If you don't love the way you eat, than you aren't going to stick with it. I NEVER, EVER wish I could eat "non-vegan" things- and that's the truth.

Hope this helps!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Oh cool...I'm a flexitarian then. I was a lacto vegetarian for breakfast (coffee, greek yogurt), but then I became a chicken-atarian for lunch (chopped salad with chicken), and I just became an ovo vegetarian a few minutes ago (hard boiled egg and a kiwi). Don't know what I'm going to be for dinner -- maybe I'll just eat a steak and be a carnivore. But that would mean no vegetables. Poor veggies. :(

Have steak and veggies-- Paleo.

Paleo-ish

FIFY

:laugh:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm vegan-ish, paleo-ish, vegetarian-ish, and I try to eat clean-ish most of the time. Oh and I don't eat after 8-ish.

So... you're gremlin-ish? Since they don't eat after midnight?

I thought gremlins DID eat after midnight. It's just the pre-gremlins that don't.

I think you're right. I don't know wtf pre-gremlins are called though.

Pre-gremlin-ish just has too many dashes in it.

mogwai
  • anaveryisland
    Options
    Look up 'Raw Desserts' ! There are tons of awesome, healthy sweet recipes out there, you just have to look.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...just because.

Don't judge me.

:grumble:
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    don't know which, if any, of these products are available where you are, but here's some goood ones.

amy's gluten free, dairy free burritos = yum!
    qrunch quinoa burgers (my fave is the green chile ones)
    morningstar farms sausage patties (can pass for meat, come in 3 flavors - original, maple and hot)
    gardein ultimate beefless burger (THE best no-meat burger, IMO and the opinion of several family members)
    any other morningstar farms product
    yves makes stuff like vegan lunch meat, vegan canadian bacon, etc
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    If you are not doing it for moral reasons but because you seem to be convinced that it is healthy maybe consider just CUTTING BACK on the offending animal products rather than eliminating them? I mean, I think personally that eggs and milk and lean meat are super healthy and they are all an important part of my nutrition plan, but if someone has convinced you differently maybe just cutting back would be easier for you.

I agree. Going vegetarian a couple days a week can be good for you. Especially if you have issues with cholesterol.

In terms of recipes, you can make almost anything you want with the current substitutes on the market. There's veggie chicken, beef, cheese, milk, etc.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    So now vegans can't walk on carpet that isn't vegan?

Holy moly.

Walk on is probably a stretch. Buying a wool carpet, though...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    You're either vegan or you're not. There's no 'vegan-ish'.
    I had a bowl of carrots for a snack.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I am attempting to "eat" vegan (I am doing this for my health not necessarily for the critters, I dont plan on giving up on leather shoes, belts, wallets, or leather car seats.) It is HARD HARD HARD (being addicted to processed foods, meat, dairy, etc.) Some days are alot easier than others. Somedays I can eat fruit for breakfast, fruit for lunch, and a mexi style rice and beans with corn and tomatoes for dinner and all goes well. Other days I find myself fiending for Wendys or a candy bar. I feel great when I stay commited with the diet. I havent been able to give up processed foods 100%. I need my diet Mt Dew or life will crumble lol. So basically I am asking for advice, quick easy recipes (I'm in my 20's and life is busy.) I like "stir fry" type meals rice,black beans, corn, tomatoes, and hot sauce = mexican; rice, peas, carrots, teriyaki sauce = chinese, ect. I havent tried tofo yet but I will eventually (just have not had time to "hunt" it down at the grocery store.) Also wondering about what anyone does when they get a chocolate craving, instead of buying a candy bar like I just did 5 min ago lol. So advice, recipes all welcome.
    Thanks

Let's try this again:

Hi! I'm trying to reduce the animal-based foods that I eat. Does anybody have any good, quick and easy vegan recipes? like "stir fry" type meals rice,black beans, corn, tomatoes, and hot sauce = mexican; rice, peas, carrots, teriyaki sauce = chinese, ect. I havent tried tofu yet but I will eventually (just have not had time to "hunt" it down at the grocery store.)

I'm also trying to reduce the number of processed foods. Does anybody have any suggestions for what to do about chocolate cravings?

You left out the part about the zero fat diet. The recipes need to be for fat free, meat free food.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    So now vegans can't walk on carpet that isn't vegan?

Holy moly.

use a little common sense and I think you'll get the drift, and if you bought that carpet then hell yes is the answer.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm vegan-ish, paleo-ish, vegetarian-ish, and I try to eat clean-ish most of the time. Oh and I don't eat after 8-ish.

So... you're gremlin-ish? Since they don't eat after midnight?

I thought gremlins DID eat after midnight. It's just the pre-gremlins that don't.

I think you're right. I don't know wtf pre-gremlins are called though.

Pre-gremlin-ish just has too many dashes in it.

Mogwai.
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    Be careful of Morning Star Farms if you are plant based/vegan. Most have milk in them.
    Boca burgers offer more of the vegan style.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I lift Heavy,

I would say just the additional fiber, zero fat in your diet, no hormones in the meat, etc.

wait..what?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Do you think you're better than me now?
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I lift Heavy,

I would say just the additional fiber, zero fat in your diet, no hormones in the meat, etc.

Zero fat is a very bad idea. There are lots of nutrients that are fat soluble, so even if you eat them your body won't be able to use them.

Why not try just going to eating a lot more fruit/veg, free range organic meat with no hormones, and then still working in some of the foods that you love?

Agreed. You need fat for proper hormonal function and nutrition absorption. There's nothing wrong with fat.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Do you think you're better than me now?

Clearly.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I may be missing something here, but don't we need fat to survive.

Wouldn't a person die on a fat free diet?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I am attempting to "eat" vegan (I am doing this for my health not necessarily for the critters, I dont plan on giving up on leather shoes, belts, wallets, or leather car seats.) It is HARD HARD HARD (being addicted to processed foods, meat, dairy, etc.) Some days are alot easier than others. Somedays I can eat fruit for breakfast, fruit for lunch, and a mexi style rice and beans with corn and tomatoes for dinner and all goes well. Other days I find myself fiending for Wendys or a candy bar. I feel great when I stay commited with the diet. I havent been able to give up processed foods 100%. I need my diet Mt Dew or life will crumble lol. So basically I am asking for advice, quick easy recipes (I'm in my 20's and life is busy.) I like "stir fry" type meals rice,black beans, corn, tomatoes, and hot sauce = mexican; rice, peas, carrots, teriyaki sauce = chinese, ect. I havent tried tofo yet but I will eventually (just have not had time to "hunt" it down at the grocery store.) Also wondering about what anyone does when they get a chocolate craving, instead of buying a candy bar like I just did 5 min ago lol. So advice, recipes all welcome.
    Thanks

Let's try this again:

Hi! I'm trying to reduce the animal-based foods that I eat. Does anybody have any good, quick and easy vegan recipes? like "stir fry" type meals rice,black beans, corn, tomatoes, and hot sauce = mexican; rice, peas, carrots, teriyaki sauce = chinese, ect. I havent tried tofu yet but I will eventually (just have not had time to "hunt" it down at the grocery store.)

I'm also trying to reduce the number of processed foods. Does anybody have any suggestions for what to do about chocolate cravings?

You left out the part about the zero fat diet. The recipes need to be for fat free, meat free food.

No. That's just dumb. No wonder she's eating Snickers.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    WTF is flexitarian? Serious question.

Staaaaaahp...I said don't get me started. Someone might get hurt.

But...here's it's definition...
    Question: What is a "flexitarian"?

Answer: What is a flexitarian? You don’t have to be vegetarian to love vegetarian food! “Flexitarian” is a term recently coined to describe those who eat a mostly vegetarian diet, but occasionally eat meat. Many people who call themselves "flexitarian" or "semi-vegetarian" have given up red meat for health reasons while others, for environmental reasons, only eat free-range or organic animals and animal products.

"semi-vegetarian" - NO SUCH THING.

A flexitarian is essentially an omnivore.

Flexitarian=quite possibly the dumbest thing ever.
    Got it.

Sorry I brought it up, it won't happen again. Unless someone starts a thread about it......muhahahaha

What if I told you there was an OFFICIAL mfp blog about it?