Veganish lol

Options

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    WTF is flexitarian? Serious question.

Staaaaaahp...I said don't get me started. Someone might get hurt.

But...here's it's definition...
    Question: What is a "flexitarian"?

Answer: What is a flexitarian? You don’t have to be vegetarian to love vegetarian food! “Flexitarian” is a term recently coined to describe those who eat a mostly vegetarian diet, but occasionally eat meat. Many people who call themselves "flexitarian" or "semi-vegetarian" have given up red meat for health reasons while others, for environmental reasons, only eat free-range or organic animals and animal products.

"semi-vegetarian" - NO SUCH THING.

A flexitarian is essentially an omnivore.

Flexitarian=quite possibly the dumbest thing ever.
    Got it.

Sorry I brought it up, it won't happen again. Unless someone starts a thread about it......muhahahaha

What if I told you there was an OFFICIAL mfp blog about it?

Please. Let's pretend that doesn't exist.

Yes, let's not and say we did.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have only read page 1 because the comment, "This won't end well" is spot on.

chocolatecoveredkatie.com and Thevedge.org have fabulous recipes. I bet you can find what you are looking for on Pinterest.

While I hate to discourage being a vegan, you'll eventually decide that yourself if it doesn't feel good anyway, so I have to say that I don't feel any health benefits from a vegan diet.

Of course I read on. A fat free diet is terrible for your health, you get plenty of fat on a typical vegan diet, and vegans have tons of processed foods. So if you go vegan and are craving Wendy's, you will find the fun aisles at places like Whole Foods. There's vegan chips, pizza, candy, cookies, doughnuts, even a vegan Diet Mountain Dew. Being a vegan in 2014 is not an obstacle to delicious but nutritionally low value foods.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You're either vegan or you're not. There's no 'vegan-ish'.

I would like to eat less meat because I don't think we need to consume such massive amounts and I would rather promote a more free range rearing than factory farming. However, I understand that meat is essential, and the food chain is life and everything, so I think you can be vegetarianish or veganish, there just isn't a word for it that I know. People's preferences are not black and white, you can choose to cut back.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Why not just ask for vegan recipes instead of invite the scorn of mfp on your head. :noway:
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I totally understand that veganism is a SERIOUS "lifestyle." thats why I speicifically said veganISH and vegeterianism is so confusing these days. I said vegan as opposed to have to typing out "NON-LACTO VEGETERIAN" but I apparently was forced out of my laziness anyways.

No.....I don't think you DO understand.
    found the vegan
    Yes. My best friend is vegan. She gets super excited about the prospect of others even considering to cut down on the use of animal products rather than get offended because someone doesn't really understand the whole concept.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I am attempting to "eat" vegan (I am doing this for my health not necessarily for the critters, I dont plan on giving up on leather shoes, belts, wallets, or leather car seats.) It is HARD HARD HARD (being addicted to processed foods, meat, dairy, etc.) Some days are alot easier than others. Somedays I can eat fruit for breakfast, fruit for lunch, and a mexi style rice and beans with corn and tomatoes for dinner and all goes well. Other days I find myself fiending for Wendys or a candy bar. I feel great when I stay commited with the diet. I havent been able to give up processed foods 100%. I need my diet Mt Dew or life will crumble lol. So basically I am asking for advice, quick easy recipes (I'm in my 20's and life is busy.) I like "stir fry" type meals rice,black beans, corn, tomatoes, and hot sauce = mexican; rice, peas, carrots, teriyaki sauce = chinese, ect. I havent tried tofo yet but I will eventually (just have not had time to "hunt" it down at the grocery store.) Also wondering about what anyone does when they get a chocolate craving, instead of buying a candy bar like I just did 5 min ago lol. So advice, recipes all welcome.
    Thanks

Eat what you enjoy and what you can handle at a deficit. Just don't stick a label on it ( no matter if it is vegetarian, vegan, paleo McD's or whatever ) because you only end up defending yourself if you can't stick to it, like eating " vegan-ish " ( which does not exist, just like a woman cannot be pregnant-ish, It's either one or the other ).
    I was a vegetarian for 18 years and not once did I knowingly eat animal products and was fine with the diet. When I was ordered ( for protein absorption reasons ) by my MD to eat animal products three times a week, I found it strangely liberating after a while, because I no longer had a label, people left me in peace and i no longer had to defend my food choices as I often had to as a vegetarian. I still eat almost 100% natural, but do not label my diet , because there is no label. I would suggest you also do your own thing and eat as " healthy " as you wish or not, because for weight loss it is not as important as it is for general health. The choice is all yours and not the choice of a person who tells you what is " allowed " and what not in the regimen they suggest .
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Oops, something went wrong.....I did not mean to post
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I would like to eat less meat because I don't think we need to consume such massive amounts and I would rather promote a more free range rearing than factory farming. However, I understand that meat is essential, and the food chain is life and everything, so I think you can be vegetarianish or veganish, there just isn't a word for it that I know. People's preferences are not black and white, you can choose to cut back.
    Yes there is a word for it. Omnivore.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I am attempting to "eat" vegan (I am doing this for my health not necessarily for the critters, I dont plan on giving up on leather shoes, belts, wallets, or leather car seats.) It is HARD HARD HARD (being addicted to processed foods, meat, dairy, etc.) Some days are alot easier than others. Somedays I can eat fruit for breakfast, fruit for lunch, and a mexi style rice and beans with corn and tomatoes for dinner and all goes well. Other days I find myself fiending for Wendys or a candy bar. I feel great when I stay commited with the diet. I havent been able to give up processed foods 100%. I need my diet Mt Dew or life will crumble lol. So basically I am asking for advice, quick easy recipes (I'm in my 20's and life is busy.) I like "stir fry" type meals rice,black beans, corn, tomatoes, and hot sauce = mexican; rice, peas, carrots, teriyaki sauce = chinese, ect. I havent tried tofo yet but I will eventually (just have not had time to "hunt" it down at the grocery store.) Also wondering about what anyone does when they get a chocolate craving, instead of buying a candy bar like I just did 5 min ago lol. So advice, recipes all welcome.
    Thanks
    Tofu in my neighborhood is in the produce section.

Buy some tools to make things easy: crock pot, blender, food processor or immersion blender, rice cooker (good for quinoa), . . .

Quinoa: http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/cooking-with-quinoa

Throw some beans, garlic, and some greens in the crock pot and you have some wonderful meals for the next few days.
    For chocolate cravings: in a blender add one or 2 bananas, coconut milk, and one or two table spoons of cocoa powder.
    Get some tofu, slice it and do whatever you want with it. When it is fresh it has almost no flavor. I put it between two pieces of bread and some mustard -- that is quick. Or you could fry it in a pan first.

Make an account on Pinterest and you will find fabulous options: http://www.pinterest.com/steveday/low-fat-vegan-recipes/
    Make an account on Yummly to find vegan rice dishes like here: http://www.yummly.com/recipes/low-calorie-vegetarian-rice
    In addition to Mexican and Chinese dishes you might like Indian dishes: http://www.pinterest.com/mgonyeo/vegan-indian-and-curry-recipes/

Have fun.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 236 Member
    Options

I mean the wanting to eat less meat, but not necessarily cutting out completely.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

Let's try this again:

Hi! I'm trying to reduce the animal-based foods that I eat. Does anybody have any good, quick and easy vegan recipes? like "stir fry" type meals rice,black beans, corn, tomatoes, and hot sauce = mexican; rice, peas, carrots, teriyaki sauce = chinese, ect. I havent tried tofu yet but I will eventually (just have not had time to "hunt" it down at the grocery store.)

I'm also trying to reduce the number of processed foods. Does anybody have any suggestions for what to do about chocolate cravings?

You left out the part about the zero fat diet. The recipes need to be for fat free, meat free food.
    [/quote]

Huh? Why do the recipes have to be zero fat? There is fat in a plant based diet.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

I mean the wanting to eat less meat, but not necessarily cutting out completely.

The word is Omnivore. You eat both animals and plants. There's nothing wrong with it.

You cannot be vegan-ish or vegetarian-ish. Period. Can you have vegan/vegetarian meals? Yes. That does not make one a vegan/vegetarian.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

The word is Omnivore. You eat both animals and plants. There's nothing wrong with it.

You cannot be vegan-ish or vegetarian-ish. Period. Can you have vegan/vegetarian meals? Yes. That does not make one a vegan/vegetarian.

Bird is the word.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    1. There's no such thing as vegan-ish. You're either vegan or you're not.
    2. You're not "addicted" to processed foods, meat, and dairy.
    3. Giving up entire food groups for your health is completely unnecessary.
    4. Eating only fruit for breakfast and lunch and only one actual meal is ridiculous. You're caving and having Wendy's or candy bars because you're not eating enough.
    5. All you have to do is count calories. You can eat vegan food all day and still not lose weight, because it's all about calories in vs. calories out. Screw the vegan thing unless you actually enjoy it (which you clearly don't) and eat whatever you want as long as it fits into your caloric goal. If that means a piece of chocolate, that's absolutely fine.

Why do people try to make weight loss so freakin' complicated? It's not!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    This is giving me "flexitarian" flashbacks. Being a vegan is like being dead; you are or you are not. There is no "vegan-ish," just like there is no "dead-ish."

But what about if you're only mostly dead?
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 20 years for moral reasons and now am left with an autoimmune disorder. I can no longer absorb b12.

HEY EVERYONE ON MFP: Stop cutting out whole food groups to lose weight. The end.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I totally understand that veganism is a SERIOUS "lifestyle." thats why I speicifically said veganISH and vegeterianism is so confusing these days. I said vegan as opposed to have to typing out "NON-LACTO VEGETERIAN" but I apparently was forced out of my laziness anyways.

No.....I don't think you DO understand.
    And I think someone is awfully touchy :tongue:
  • faye_andrea
    faye_andrea Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I drink chocolate almond milk for chocolate cravings - totally vegan and delish! But there is a fair amount of sugar in it so for a

more "weight friendly" option I'd go for the unsweetened chocolate almond milk.
    With that being said, if you're anything like me, sometimes you just want a little texture so what I recommend is freezing some chopped, peeled bananas and then blending them in a blender (I use the nutri-bullet and it works wonders) or a food processor along with some of the chocolate almond milk (start with 1 - 2 bananas to one cup of milk) and any other "mix-ins" you want (I usually do frozen mixed berries, sometimes I'll do a bit for peanut butter). Anyway, you might have to stop the blender, shake it up and add a bit extra milk if you find it is sticking, but what you'll end up with is this amazing, sweet, soft-serve ice cream-like treat. Sometimes I'll sprinkle on some chopped up nuts or a bit of shredded coconut if I need a bit of a crunch. Totally helps me fend off my sweet tooth!
  • faye_andrea
    faye_andrea Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Veganism is definitely a lifestyle but I don't think there is anything wrong with incorporating vegan dishes into your diet even if you don't live the vegan lifestyle. Good on you for making healthy choices! :)
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I had a bowl of carrots for a snack.

Do you think you're better than me now?
    Depends. How many carrots did you eat today?
    Possibly the snark of the day :laugh: