Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Veganish lol

Replies

• LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Hello everyone,

I am attempting to "eat" vegan (I am doing this for my health not necessarily for the critters, I dont plan on giving up on leather shoes, belts, wallets, or leather car seats.) It is HARD HARD HARD (being addicted to processed foods, meat, dairy, etc.) Some days are alot easier than others. Somedays I can eat fruit for breakfast, fruit for lunch, and a mexi style rice and beans with corn and tomatoes for dinner and all goes well. Other days I find myself fiending for Wendys or a candy bar. I feel great when I stay commited with the diet. I havent been able to give up processed foods 100%. I need my diet Mt Dew or life will crumble lol. So basically I am asking for advice, quick easy recipes (I'm in my 20's and life is busy.) I like "stir fry" type meals rice,black beans, corn, tomatoes, and hot sauce = mexican; rice, peas, carrots, teriyaki sauce = chinese, ect. I havent tried tofo yet but I will eventually (just have not had time to "hunt" it down at the grocery store.) Also wondering about what anyone does when they get a chocolate craving, instead of buying a candy bar like I just did 5 min ago lol. So advice, recipes all welcome.
    Thanks

Let's try this again:

Hi! I'm trying to reduce the animal-based foods that I eat. Does anybody have any good, quick and easy vegan recipes? like "stir fry" type meals rice,black beans, corn, tomatoes, and hot sauce = mexican; rice, peas, carrots, teriyaki sauce = chinese, ect. I havent tried tofu yet but I will eventually (just have not had time to "hunt" it down at the grocery store.)

I'm also trying to reduce the number of processed foods. Does anybody have any suggestions for what to do about chocolate cravings?

You left out the part about the zero fat diet. The recipes need to be for fat free, meat free food.

No. That's just dumb. No wonder she's eating Snickers.

He.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    WTF is flexitarian? Serious question.

Staaaaaahp...I said don't get me started. Someone might get hurt.

But...here's it's definition...
    Question: What is a "flexitarian"?

Answer: What is a flexitarian? You don’t have to be vegetarian to love vegetarian food! “Flexitarian” is a term recently coined to describe those who eat a mostly vegetarian diet, but occasionally eat meat. Many people who call themselves "flexitarian" or "semi-vegetarian" have given up red meat for health reasons while others, for environmental reasons, only eat free-range or organic animals and animal products.

"semi-vegetarian" - NO SUCH THING.

A flexitarian is essentially an omnivore.

Flexitarian=quite possibly the dumbest thing ever.
    Got it.

Sorry I brought it up, it won't happen again. Unless someone starts a thread about it......muhahahaha

What if I told you there was an OFFICIAL mfp blog about it?

Please. Let's pretend that doesn't exist.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I may be missing something here, but don't we need fat to survive.

Wouldn't a person die on a fat free diet?

I know a person who killed her pancreas back in the 80s on one.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member

Answer: What is a flexitarian? You don’t have to be vegetarian to love vegetarian food! “Flexitarian” is a term recently coined to describe those who eat a mostly vegetarian diet, but occasionally eat meat. Many people who call themselves "flexitarian" or "semi-vegetarian" have given up red meat for health reasons while others, for environmental reasons, only eat free-range or organic animals and animal products.

Got it.

Sorry I brought it up, it won't happen again. Unless someone starts a thread about it......muhahahaha

oh really.......??? heh, heh, heh.....
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member

Got it.

tumblr_mezsxwuG9v1ru3wb1.gif
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    damnitfeelsgoodtobeavegan.jpg

…..ish
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

Got it.

Hey! I'm a (modified*) flexitarian!

* my modifications:
    1. significantly increased recommended calories of 1500
    2. at least tripled recommended protein of 50g
    3. instead of eating a little meat, I eat a lot of meat

#(Modified)Flexitarian4Lyfe!
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Oh, I started a controversy.

did-i-do-that.jpg?w=780&h=9999&crop=0

I would just like to add, that I love Urkel.

Carry on
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Flexitarian has to be the most useless label ever. I bet pretty much everyone who eats a standard diet would fall into this category, it is seems utterly pointless.

I am now a nonatarian it means that sometimes I am not eating food.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Oh, I started a controversy.

did-i-do-that.jpg?w=780&h=9999&crop=0

I would just like to add, that I love Urkel.

Carry on

I'm sorry, but newbs aren't allowed to post here. Please come back after you've been on the site for a few years
  • Sage812
    Sage812 Posts: 10
    im not really against veganism at all but doing it for anything other than moral reasons is a little silly considering its not necessarily healthier than any diet trend and its an expensive lifestyle that takes alot of effort (to start out at least)
    I agree with this. Ethical reasons with factory farms I understand though I don't think there's anything wrong with humanely raised meat; but I don't believe it's healthier (I admittedly felt like crap when I attempted to go vegan) If anything it's a lot more work to get all the nutrients you need and wouldn't really be possible to balance without the luxury of modern technology. Vegetarian yes vegan no.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I lift Heavy,

I would say just the additional fiber, zero fat in your diet, no hormones in the meat, etc.

You can have too much fiber.

Zero fat in your diet is a terrible terrible idea.

As has been mentioned, there is no reason to be a vegan (or a vegetarian) for health reasons. Giving up a bunch of food groups is hard - and unless it's for ethical or specific medical reasons, there is no reason to do it, and in fact, unless you are very careful, it can be less 'healthy' for you.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    You're either vegan or you're not. There's no 'vegan-ish'.
    I had a bowl of carrots for a snack.

Do you think you're better than me now?
    Depends. How many carrots did you eat today?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Flexitarian has to be the most useless label ever. I bet pretty much everyone who eats a standard diet would fall into this category, it is seems utterly pointless.

But if we don't label it how will I feel superior to everyone else?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

But sometimes you do eat food, so that means you're either a part time nonatarian or you're nonatarianish
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    You're either vegan or you're not. There's no 'vegan-ish'.
    I had a bowl of carrots for a snack.

Do you think you're better than me now?
    Depends. How many carrots did you eat today?

GEESH STAHP WITH THE FOOD CHOICE SHAMING ALREADY!!1!1!eleven!!1

:angry:
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member

The label is to avoid seeming too pedestrian. So as to terrorize one's hapless friends and coworkers and justify shopping at the snooty stores.
  • cuapater
    cuapater Posts: 15
    Good luck! It's not easy but I felt better when I went to a plant based diet.

Because I hate when people get the two mixed up here is a quick definition. You are not "veganish"

Veganism is a philosophy and compassionate lifestyle whose adherents seek to exclude the use of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose. Vegans endeavor not to use or consume animal products of any kind. Vegans do not consume meat, eggs, milk, honey or any food that is derived from animals.

Vegetarianism is the practice of a diet that excludes meat (including game and slaughter by-products; fish, shellfish and other sea animals; and poultry). There are several variants of the diet, some of which also exclude eggs. Do not eat meat or fish. Some do consume dairy and some vegetarians consume eggs. Lacto-vegetarian: eating dairy products. Ovo-vegetarian: eating eggs. Do not eat gelatin or other animal by products. While vegetarians do not eat meat, most vegetarians do not mind using other animal-derived products, e.g. fur, leather, or wool.

And if ridding your diet of "processed foods" is your goal going Vegan may not be the answer, there is a TON of processed food that is considered Vegan, Oreo cookies for example :-)

Your definition is a bit generalisation-making. I was vegan for many years but that does not mean I was "compassionate" or philosophical. :)

I think I will continue to use the word "vegan" to describe those who merely consume no animal derivatives in their diet... It's the mainstream usage of the term by the majority (non-vegans). Maybe people could say they have a "vegan diet" instead of just saying that they are "vegans"?

I agree, there is no "veganish". One time a woman told me she was "vegan" except she ate fish. *facedesk*
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    I lift Heavy,

I would say just the additional fiber, zero fat in your diet, no hormones in the meat, etc.

You can have too much fiber.

Zero fat in your diet is a terrible terrible idea.

As has been mentioned, there is no reason to be a vegan (or a vegetarian) for health reasons. Giving up a bunch of food groups is hard - and unless it's for ethical or specific medical reasons, there is no reason to do it, and in fact, unless you are very careful, it can be less 'healthy' for you.

QFT

I've known a few people who went vegan without proper nutritional research. They all ended up pretty sick and gave up.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member

Got it.

Please. Let's pretend that doesn't exist.

Yes, let's not and say we did.