Two + Months in, not a pound gone

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Beautifulreflections
    Beautifulreflections Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't think that opening up my diary will help at all. I started out only eating 1300 calories a day, that's what I naturally eat when I eat what I want and don't try to watch what I'm eating (including dessert).

OP

No offense, and I SERIOUSLY mean that, just by reading the above statement there is something very wrong here. Your ticker says you'd like to lose a fair amount of weight. If always naturally eating at 1,300 calories has gotten you to where you are then you have a serious medical condition and need to seek medical help. Or....

Its time to stop what your doing and evaluate what you are really taking in.

I say this with total support. I myself am guilty of not weighing ice cream, using a "cup" and smashing down as much as possible to pack it all into the "serving size", all the while licking the spoon and eating any chunks that fall on the counter. Logging it as one serving knowing damn well it was probably 3.
  • cydulrich
    cydulrich Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think you may want to check it out....but DC's ARE doctors. They go to undergraduate school, then to the medical school designed for their profession. It seems rather archaic to label people who worked very hard to become these professionals....as "not real doctors" just because they cannot prescribe meds....and that is now changing in several states. You must not consider your dentist a "doctor" either, or your optometrist.....yet I am sure you address them as "doctor" when visiting their offices for their services. DC's are literally hands on with patients and they are now becoming widely used for many areas of healthcare, including weight loss. IMO if people do not think outside the box with their healthcare, nutrition and weight loss, then they might be doomed to keep repeating the same patterns.
  • mtyler7718
    mtyler7718 Posts: 24
    Options
    I have been dieting and exercising for years and am still very overweight. I saw my doctor first and he tested all of my hormones, thyroid, etc and found nothing (I used to have problems with my adrenal glands under functioning, but they are now fine). I got a Bodymedia fit and started using myfitnesspal to track my food. I was carrying a large calorie deficit, but still seeing no results. So, I started seeing a nutritionist that specializes in weight loss and got a personal trainer. I even got a heart rate monitor to be as precise as possible,

My nutritonist had me double my calorie intake and my personal trainer has me doing 45 min of cardio 3 times a week plus two days of resistance training a week. I am now two and a half months into the training and nutritionist and I am still not seeing any results at all. Not a single pound. My nutritionist has been consulting her peers and doctors to be sure she hasn't missed anything and my trainer is a masters student in exercise science with a professor overseeing everything I am doing.

Has anyone seen or experienced something similar to what is happening to me and can shed some light on what is going on?

I have a terrible time losing weight because I have a hypoactive thyroid. Even though I take medication to correct it, it's just not the same as what a real thyroid produces, so I can really commiserate.

I had tried everything too--but it wasn't until I saw a nutritionist that I have no (slowly) been losing weight--about a pound a week but I am not eating much at all. I am eating no more than 1200 calories per day--and I am exercising every day. The first 3 weeks I was doing MFP, I was eating the 'reward' calories from exercising but my nutritionist told me to ignore those completely--just exercise but stay within the 1200 daily goal--and that's what finally did the trick. I have now lost 5 lbs. and I am so happy because I have worked my butt off for every one of them.

I would let others check your diary and see what they can figure out. I'm still pretty new here but I wanted to mention that my nutritionist told me that MFP (a program she recommended by the way) over-calculates the points you get for exercising and that people aren't really burning off as much as MFP says.

I have no idea what will work for you---but it sounds crazy to me to double calories, especially if you aren't seeing any results. I know how frustrating that is so I feel for you.

Best,

Melinda
  • mtyler7718
    mtyler7718 Posts: 24
    Options
    One other thing I have to say--I don't believe anyone could become morbidly obese eating 1300 calories a day (unless there is some VERY weird metabolic issues that are so far out of the norm it is not funny--and it's possible the person commenting was joking when he/she said that).

It's simple math. Calories in vs. Calories burned. My nutritionist told me it doesn't matter when you eat those calories--whether you eat them all in one meal or if you scatter them throughout the day. I was specifically worried because my husband and I eat dinner later at night and I thought this was factoring in my initial (frustrating) lack of weight loss--but she told me that those "rumors" about eating late at night was based on a faulty study that somehow gained a lot of steam.

If you are eating fewer calories that you are burning up, you will lose weight. I agree with the others who say that it is easy to delude ourselves. I've been that route before with Weight Watchers--where I "guestimated" my portion sizes. When I actually started measuring everything and writing EVERY SINGLE item down--and when I stopped eating my exercise "reward" calories, I immediately started losing weight.

People are all different. People have different metabolisms so you can't necessarily know that what works for another person in here will work for you. I recommend getting a different nutritionist because any one who would tell you to double your calorie intake seems like she/he might not be the best in the business.

I also find it very odd that you want the help of MFP posters but refuse to allow anyone to see your diary. I'm sorry--but that seems pretty hinky to me! Best of luck, though--and I truly hope you find the help you need.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy things and move every day do not eat alot of sugar(soda?) and listen to your body. MFP should enable you to tweak your nutrition plan what did you eat the day you gained ? the day you lost? look for patterns

and drink alot of water like 1 gallon this always helps me beat a plateau
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Got morbidly obese eating 1,300 calories a day!

snowflake.gif

That gif is so pretty can I have one too!?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have been dieting and exercising for years and am still very overweight. I saw my doctor first and he tested all of my hormones, thyroid, etc and found nothing (I used to have problems with my adrenal glands under functioning, but they are now fine). I got a Bodymedia fit and started using myfitnesspal to track my food. I was carrying a large calorie deficit, but still seeing no results. So, I started seeing a nutritionist that specializes in weight loss and got a personal trainer. I even got a heart rate monitor to be as precise as possible,

My nutritonist had me double my calorie intake and my personal trainer has me doing 45 min of cardio 3 times a week plus two days of resistance training a week. I am now two and a half months into the training and nutritionist and I am still not seeing any results at all. Not a single pound. My nutritionist has been consulting her peers and doctors to be sure she hasn't missed anything and my trainer is a masters student in exercise science with a professor overseeing everything I am doing.

Has anyone seen or experienced something similar to what is happening to me and can shed some light on what is going on?

In this study - it took 3 months of eating at maintenance, to recovery not even half of the suppressed metabolism.
    And this was lab tested maintenance - not the faulty figures your BodyMedia is coming up with because it thinks it's reading a healthy body.

So if your doubling of intake brought you up to what still could be a deficit, not even what could be maintenance - then it'll likely taking you longer. this study referenced another one where maintenance was suppressed for a year after.

So unless you take steps to forget the weight loss and heal first, and then do the weight loss better than your previous years of diet and exercise and large calorie deficit, this is indeed going to take a long time.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/reduced-metabolism-tdee-beyond-expected-from-weight-loss-616251
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    It's just calories in versus calories out. It's physically impossible not to lose weight if you're doing everything right. Especially since you've been cleared from doctors that there is nothing wrong.

Keep your food diary open, be honest and faithful about what and how many calories you're eating, and in that you yourself will find the problem.
  • schuster3
    schuster3 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have had some of the same problems in the past and as a result my metabolism is messed up now. When I eat well below my at rest calorie needs, my body thinks it should go into starvation mode and I lose no weight. The only diet that seems to work to jump start my metabolism is to eat my at rest calories-which sounds like 2300 calories for you (?). Then, any exercise is your deficit. It has worked so far, although slowly. Hope you start to see results, don't give up!
  • jillyrobb
    jillyrobb Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think you may want to check it out....but DC's ARE doctors. ... You must not consider your dentist a "doctor" either, or your optometrist.....yet I am sure you address them as "doctor" when visiting their offices for their services.

Yes, you're right--and I wouldn't go to my optometrist to lose weight, either.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I think you may want to check it out....but DC's ARE doctors. They go to undergraduate school, then to the medical school designed for their profession. It seems rather archaic to label people who worked very hard to become these professionals....as "not real doctors" just because they cannot prescribe meds....and that is now changing in several states. You must not consider your dentist a "doctor" either, or your optometrist.....yet I am sure you address them as "doctor" when visiting their offices for their services. DC's are literally hands on with patients and they are now becoming widely used for many areas of healthcare, including weight loss. IMO if people do not think outside the box with their healthcare, nutrition and weight loss, then they might be doomed to keep repeating the same patterns.

PhDs are "doctors" too but they're not physicians.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

I myself am guilty of not weighing ice cream, using a "cup" and smashing down as much as possible to pack it all into the "serving size", all the while licking the spoon and eating any chunks that fall on the counter. Logging it as one serving knowing damn well it was probably 3.

Damn. I thought I invented that.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I guess weight loss was just too hard for her.
  • allye74
    allye74 Posts: 2
    Options
    the eating out can use all your daily count up really quick & by what you have posted that you eat whatever you wanted but still wrote it down..you could be eating the wrong foods is all.,just have to watch what you eat is all....you dont have too but it helps...you have to look at the nutrition facts & the serving size & the serving per containers size & the calories per serving size....you need to keep up the log on MFP...yeah its hard work & can get frustrating as hell but when the weight starts coming off you will feel better...i to am overweight & doing the whole diet bit...i have a 1200 calorie count daily...you dont have to have a personal trainer..save your money & go to wal mart & buy a dvd by LESLIE SANSONE’S WALK AT HOME get any of her dvds & all you do is march in place & if you have kids have them do it with you make it something fun for the family...you dont have to do the whole dvd & you will see results...