Clean Eating

Options
I am sick of "dieting". I've done low calorie and low carb diets, and while they helped me lose weight, I haven't been able to stick to them long term. I want to change how I eat to feel better and hopefully lose weight , and cut out the processed yucky foods, and eat clean. I've been doing a lot of research on the foods we can eat, and about meal prepping. At this time I don't belong to a gym, and don't have cardio equipment at home. I am wanting to join a gym this summer, but first I want to get started eating clean, and going on walks with my baby for some light exercise.

My question is will I start to see any weight loss results from eating clean, and watching caloric intake, even if I haven't begun working out regularly? I notice most of the people I see talking about eating clean are also very active in the gym. This is a goal for me, but not yet.

Replies

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    "Clean" eating is fine but you won't lose weight from it. You only lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn. That's the ONLY way. Calories in < calories out = weight loss. That's it.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    450px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Search the forums for everyone's input on eating clean. The general consensus of the people who have taken off substantial weight is that "eating clean" is the new "paleo" is the new "adkins." It's a fad. 500 calories of frozen waffles won't make you any fatter than 500 calories of broccoli.

You tried restricting calories before and failed. Were you eating at a small deficit (.5-2 lb loss per week based on weight to lose) while weighing all of your food? I used to yo-yo with my weight because I would under eat and lose weight and then burn out and eat it all back. Using a food scale helped me realize just how much I could have in 1 day and lose weight.

Processed food is everywhere. Why not enjoy all things in moderation?
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    "Clean" eating is fine but you won't lose weight from it. You only lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn. That's the ONLY way. Calories in < calories out = weight loss. That's it.

^That.

Eat "clean" if you enjoy it. But if weight loss is your goal, you still have to eat at a calorie deficit.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Welcome, MJO.

You can eat clean all you want but the only way to lose weight is to eat less than you burn. I have not eaten a lot of processed foods for years. I gained 30 pounds and then lost 42 eating home cooked meals and little processed food and eating out a lot. I don't call it "clean" because I think that is a fad word, but i do call it healthier choices for me.

When I decided to take charge of my weight, I started eating all the foods I love, just less of it. I set my goals in MFP to lose 2 pounds a week, got tired of that after about two weeks because it wasn't enough calories, then upped my calories to lost 1 pound a week. I then set my goals to lose .5 pounds a week for the last 15 pounds or so.. It took me about 9 or 10 months to get to this weight, which I have been maintaining (with normal fluctuation) for the last three or so months.

Something else I did was buy a food scale and start weighing all my food. If the MFP database does not have my foods, I enter my own foods into the database in grams. I use the recipe builder a lot, especially for my homemade breads. I weight all solid food and measure all liquids.

Also, I eat my exercise calories back. I bought a Polar FT7 heart rate monitor because MFP estimations seemed to high and my Iphone app estimations were too low. Thus far, my HRM seems to be fairly accurate (I base this on my success).

I have a desk job but I have my activity level set to active because I exercise 5-6 days a week, including heavy lifting, walk a lot (I don't eat back walking or weight lifting calories), and am generally on the move often.

I have had the most success when I accurately log my calories in and calories out.

Anyway, this is what worked for me, and I hope you find something in my share that will benefit you.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

^That.

Eat "clean" if you enjoy it. But if weight loss is your goal, you still have to eat at a calorie deficit.

+1
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    For some people, eating clean means paying attention to what goes into their body and paying attention to their portions and such. You definitely can lose weight that way. You do not have to exercise at first. Eat less food. And choose foods that nourish you.
  • crescentkelly
    crescentkelly Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There have been studies coming out recently on how the changing construction of food/medicine is adding to the obesity epidemic. Antibiotics and fattening chemicals in our meats, chemicals in our processed foods, etc. So, in my mind yes, calories in vs. calories out is important but eating 500 calories of broccoli is better than 500 calories of frozen (processed and chock full of chemicals) waffles.

All these fads crop up because of calories in vs. calories out doesn't work for everyone. If you want to try something new to see if works, go for it. Don't let the haters hate.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    There have been studies coming out recently on how the changing construction of food/medicine is adding to the obesity epidemic. Antibiotics and fattening chemicals in our meats, chemicals in our processed foods, etc. So, in my mind yes, calories in vs. calories out is important but eating 500 calories of broccoli is better than 500 calories of frozen (processed and chock full of chemicals) waffles.

All these fads crop up because of calories in vs. calories out doesn't work for everyone. If you want to try something new to see if works, go for it. Don't let the haters hate.

Chemicals don't make your body hold on to calories when you're at a deficit. There's more of something in processed food: calories. Just look at how portion sizes have blown up. If I'm trying to hit a calorie goal, waffles or broccoli don't matter. I will get fewer mouthfuls if I pick waffles, but sometimes that's what you want.

Fads crop up (and then fade out) because people want fast, unrealistic results. They one one quick fix, usually elimination based, that will make weight loss fast and easy. People fail on the calorie in, calorie out model because there's too much "calorie in" and not enough "calorie out."

Eating foods rich in vitamins and minerals and "good" fats and so on will help certain body characteristics, like digestive comfort, vision health, skin health, and so on. Eating nutrient dense foods will not inherently cause weight loss. You still need to eat at a deficit.
  • PinkInkAngel
    PinkInkAngel Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My 2Cents: When you eat healthy food and get the processed and high carb/sugar stuff out of your system food starts to taste different and you crave healthy things. There are foods that will taste good which you normally wouldnt enjoy eating and you will crave these healthy items once you have some time put into eating this way. I think you can eat more when you eat a lot of veggies and fruit. In the end you just want to try different options until you land on something that you can see integrating into your lifestyle for the long run. It is about changing habits and building new ways to look at food and experience it. Dont be afraid to try new things, I have found I like so many things that I never would have thought to eat just by giving things a shot. It is a numbers game for sure when you count the calories you can do it eating anything you want but I see it as being healthy and feeling good which means balance and good for you food. I know myself and if I eat carbs and sweets it just makes me want more. Make it fun and you will feel good once you have a plan and are actually doing something and trying... I wish you all the best and You can reach your goals.... dont give up :)
  • crescentkelly
    crescentkelly Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You always need to eat a deficit to loose weight. Not denying that by any means at all, which was not the point of my comment. I'm just saying that eating clean and healthy is good. Which it is. I could loose weight eating candy at a calorie deficit all day but I would be super super unhealthy. What's the point of loosing weight if you're unhealthy doing it? I just don't get it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I am sick of "dieting". I've done low calorie and low carb diets, and while they helped me lose weight, I haven't been able to stick to them long term. I want to change how I eat to feel better and hopefully lose weight , and cut out the processed yucky foods, and eat clean. I've been doing a lot of research on the foods we can eat, and about meal prepping. At this time I don't belong to a gym, and don't have cardio equipment at home. I am wanting to join a gym this summer, but first I want to get started eating clean, and going on walks with my baby for some light exercise.

My question is will I start to see any weight loss results from eating clean, and watching caloric intake, even if I haven't begun working out regularly? I notice most of the people I see talking about eating clean are also very active in the gym. This is a goal for me, but not yet.

If the way you eat ends up leading to you eating in a deficit, you will lose weight, so it might work. Depending on what you define as "clean" (which is widely varying and usually not particularly consistent or logical), it very well might, but also likely includes plenty of high calorie foods. For example, I buy my meat from a small local farm for my own reasons, and that means I probably eat a lot more calories from the cuts of meat I get than someone who mostly buys boneless chicken breast or the leanest ground beef or ground turkey.

I personally find the term "clean eating" kind of vague and silly and am not sure why it's now some kind of special thing--just try to eat food you think is healthy if that's your inclination, but I think focusing on fresh whole foods and cooking is a great thing to do. Some other things that go by the name "clean eating" not so much, the idea that frozen veggies or my homemade apple pie are unclean, also not so much.

I do wonder why you have to actively stop eating certain foods you find yucky. I just don't eat foods I think are yucky (some of which happen to be processed), because I have no inclination to. Who needs to cut foods they dislike out of their diet?

Also--and this is a pet peeve of mine--what's the need for special research on foods you "can" eat or meal prepping? Isn't the deal to just focus on cooking whole foods you consider healthy? I think that bit of it is a good thing, if too restrictive for me--I like grabbing a yogurt for protein or being able to eat a little cheese--but then I always get confused when people talk about special lists of permitted foods and special "clean" recipes, as if your basic cookbook somehow relied on Cheetos.

Ah, well. In all sincerity, good luck--I do think focusing on and discovering the joys of cooking whole foods is a good thing if you aren't already and may appeal to many, even if I'm not a fan of the whole "clean eating" label or eliminating foods that are fine and delicious in moderation.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For some people, eating clean means paying attention to what goes into their body and paying attention to their portions and such. You definitely can lose weight that way. You do not have to exercise at first. Eat less food. And choose foods that nourish you.

Sounds like moderation to me. But yeah, I know, clean means whatever people want it to mean

I wish I understood why so many people are so attracted to this label.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is what I consider fresh (non-processed) foods. You certainly get a bigger nutrition, without chemicals, bang for your calorie.

As many have pointed out...weight loss is calories in vs. calories expended.

Good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Clean eating helps keep the toxins out...
    What toxins are you referring to?
  • MiniMarc
    MiniMarc Posts: 19
    Options
    I try to have a 'clean' diet. ie i make all my own food or buy basic stuff like vegetables in packet if i really have to. If a food has an ingredient list with more than about 4-5 things i tend to avoid.

I keep saying it but Green Vegetables are your friend! Low calorie and filling. Fibre helps in lots of ways for weight loss.
    Beans / legumes for carbs are great. Lentils are my current fav.
    i personally go full fat mayo with tuna as its cleaner but i use less
    unsweetend almond milk is a great substitute. check out the difference in sugar with skimmed milk!
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Think 1 cup potato flakes with preservatives with 2 TBS processed margarine and 1 cup milk for over 500 calories vs chicken thigh, 2 cups steamed broccoli, grilled ear of corn and 2 cups fresh strawberries for under 500 calories. The second option has less calories, more nutrients and fills me up more. I feel better physically eating les preservatives and random chemicals... That is why I try to eat clean more
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I believe that if you eat nutritious food it is easier to keep energy intake down, and walking is brilliant exercise. I'm trying to add exercise into my day, and for me that means walking a bit faster to the train, a walk at lunch, and trying to walk the dogs each day. I don't think you need to go to a gym, and if you are exercising with your baby you are spending time together and setting an example that moving doesn't have to be formal.

I happen to belong to a rowing club so I use the equipment, but on the other five days I'm trying to work exercise in where I can.

I roughly follow the CSIRO plan which lines up with dietary guidelines like plenty of vegetables, fruit, grains, dairy, fats, and water. I have logged honestly for about 100 days now and I'm feeling in control of my weight now. I have a long way to go, so losing 3 kg each month is ok for me.

I use a heart rate monitor and sometimes apps like Runtastic to log my energy burned. I also do measure out food because I think it is difficult to judge amounts.

I have had some days that blew out, but I'm learning to accept the odd "bad" day and get on track for the next meal.

I hope this helps :smile:

EDIT: I also eat meat, fish and eggs.
  • caimay175
    caimay175 Posts: 42
    Options
    Search the forums for everyone's input on eating clean. The general consensus of the people who have taken off substantial weight is that "eating clean" is the new "paleo" is the new "adkins." It's a fad. 500 calories of frozen waffles won't make you any fatter than 500 calories of broccoli.

I don't think clean eating is a fad. Firstly, clean eating has different definitions for everyone. For me and many others it means eating unprocessed food. So, nothing with a commercial, barcode or label. I'm not 'paleo' or this or that, but I strongly believe in focusing my diet around those foods.

Losing weight is calories in vs calories out; this is a science. But, that doesn't mean that you HAVE to count every single calorie that passes your lips. I've tried that before. I last 2 weeks, max, and then I just don't have the energy or the headspace to continue with it. With 'clean eating', some days I might not be at a deficit at all. Other days I may have a large or moderate deficit. I personally find that, as someone below mentioned, it's just easier to keep energy intake down that way.

Lots of people against clean eating and who take the 'everything in moderation' approach often cite the professor and his twinkie diet as evidence you can lose weight and eat junk food. And it's true. But weight loss is about so much more. In order to keep it up for the long haul, you need to be satisfied and nourished, and with lots of foods in your diet that contain a lot of calories and not a lot of nutrients, I believe it's much harder to keep up long-term.

So, I don't think clean eating is a fad, and I think the more you include nutrient dense, whole foods in your diet, the better your results will be, especially long term :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I dare anyone to eat 500 calories of broccoli in one meal.

I'd also like someone to explain how eating 500 calories of broccoli in one meal is in any way healthy.

And CICO works for everyone...the problem is that many simply don't understand it.