Clean Eating

Options

Replies

• TriNoob
    TriNoob Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is what I consider fresh (non-processed) foods. You certainly get a bigger nutrition, without chemicals, bang for your calorie.

As many have pointed out...weight loss is calories in vs. calories expended.

Good luck!

Chemicals are dangerous...better stay away from them.

19cththprtrp4png.png
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options

Chemicals don't make your body hold on to calories when you're at a deficit. There's more of something in processed food: calories. Just look at how portion sizes have blown up. If I'm trying to hit a calorie goal, waffles or broccoli don't matter. I will get fewer mouthfuls if I pick waffles, but sometimes that's what you want.

Fads crop up (and then fade out) because people want fast, unrealistic results. They one one quick fix, usually elimination based, that will make weight loss fast and easy. People fail on the calorie in, calorie out model because there's too much "calorie in" and not enough "calorie out."

Eating foods rich in vitamins and minerals and "good" fats and so on will help certain body characteristics, like digestive comfort, vision health, skin health, and so on. Eating nutrient dense foods will not inherently cause weight loss. You still need to eat at a deficit.

OMG! Yes yes yes! Definitely this! I used to be of the mind set the only way to lose weight is to exercise and eat clean. Well that is only half true. At least that is what I have found out. I eat wholesome nutritious food, maybe about 90% of the time. I allow myself treats and such just so i don't binge/over eat later on. And guess what, it works! Calories in, calories out, as well as IIFYM is what really works. Might be slower than some of these fad diets, but its how i've kept the weight off.

As long as you burn more than what you take in, then you will be fine and see results. Even if its only a pound a week. You will keep it off a lot easier!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

My question is will I start to see any weight loss results from eating clean, and watching caloric intake, even if I haven't begun working out regularly?

Of course, watching the calorie intake (deficit) will give you the weight loss, cutting out/back on the junk food will give you best chance of optimal health through your diet.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

My question is will I start to see any weight loss results from eating clean, and watching caloric intake, even if I haven't begun working out regularly?

Absolutely! People will tell you that eating clean is stupid and it's all just calories in vs calories out, but for some of us "eating clean" (whatever that means to you) makes eating less easier! It can help with cravings, nutrition absorption, stomach upset...etc. I have always found that about 70% of the results are related to diet, not the gym.

Don't you mean, "...makes eating *much* easier"?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    While eating "clean" calories might be the same weight effect as eating the same number of calories in frozen waffles-- paying attention to what you eat and eating better foods will make you feel better.

There is more nutrition in a cup of broccoli than the same number of calories from Popsicle. If you feel better, you are likely to sleep better, move more, and pay attention to other aspects of your life.

There are people who can lose weight eating only DESSERTS.... but for many pf us, I find that when I pay attention to what goes in, I focus on other things too. Try it-- everyone has what works for them.

Just be sure that you don't UP your number of calories without adding movement. Even without a gym, walking would help.
    Good luck with it!:happy: :happy:

"More nutrition"??? Is your goal to eat "maximum nutrition" all other considerations be damned?

If given a choice between eating just broccoli and eating a little broccoli and a popsicle, I'm going with the latter...every time.

That people believe and argue otherwise is what makes clean eating zealotry so laughable...because it highlights a fundamental misunderstanding of basic nutrition.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Bugs are natural...wouldn't that be considered clean?

Not in my definition. Not on my planet. Foul. Foul disgusting, gross!

Edit: But since I did just switch to vegan for ethical reasons, I'm going to claim poor bugs! I will not eat you!

Gross.

Lol. You need a chill pill.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My question is will I start to see any weight loss results from eating clean, and watching caloric intake, even if I haven't begun working out regularly? I notice most of the people I see talking about eating clean are also very active in the gym. This is a goal for me, but not yet.

Yes, the caloric intake is the main thing. Eating clean makes keep a calorie deficit easier for many, and for others with medical problems it can actually lead to more weight loss than eating the same calories of junk. Proper nutrition is important.
  • Alluminati
    Options
    No, I just haven't thought eating bugs was cool since preschool.

But if I had to claim a religion to justify not doing so, I'd convert to something that doesn't allow such disgusting food practices. Surely one exists. If it doesn't, I might make one up.

What are you, 12 years old? You are aware that many cultures eat bugs as a perfectly natural part of a balanced diet, right? You may think it's disgusting, but it's nourishment for many. Also, if you wanted to take a microscope to everything you eat, don;t be surprised if there's bug particles in normal everyday foods.
  • mjo1102
    mjo1102 Posts: 2
    Options
    OK I realize I posted this in a public forum and not everyone's going to agree with certain styles of weight loss and eating. I'm new to actually using the forum of MyFitnessPal. I'm sorry if there's a "clean eating" thread posted daily (or hourly) but I'm new here and navigating the system. I didn't realize there's so much debate about dieting styles lol.

I assumed this community would be supportive of a weight loss journey. Seriously, it's obnoxious how cynical and critical people get on public forums. Guess it's easy to be a know it all jerk behind a computer screen. Thank you to those who provided intelligent, helpful info, even if you don't agree with or follow a "clean eating diet" .
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Bugs are natural...wouldn't that be considered clean?

Not in my definition. Not on my planet. Foul. Foul disgusting, gross!

Edit: But since I did just switch to vegan for ethical reasons, I'm going to claim poor bugs! I will not eat you!

Gross.

Lol. You need a chill pill.

That's fine, send one over, but hold the bugs, please. I don't need it to be a pretty color.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    mjo1102 - I agree with you completely... People here can be of no help.

I, personally, cannot lose weight by simply eating at a deficit. I find that my moods are better, I feel better, my autoimmune condition responds better, and I lose weight when I eat more whole foods (which, to me, is "clean" eating). To me, that means eating a lot of organic produce, a colorful array of veggies and fruits, organic/grass fed/free range meats, no dairy, very little soy (this is hard to eliminate entirely, I find), and no gluten. I do not eat gluten because it causes me to have debilitating nerve pain - pain that I dealt with for many years with massage, physical therapy, and ART, and it never got better...only worse. I gave up dairy to see if it would further healing my nerve pain or my autoimmune condition would respond.

I also find that I can eat more calories and lose weight when my diet is high (good) fats, moderate/high protein, and lower carb. I could eat 10 twinkies/day for 1500 cals and not lose weight (actually, I'd gain weight), or I could eat 1700 cals of organic chicken, pork, beef, avocado, squash and cucumbers from my garden, dark chocolate, olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, and fruit, and lose weight. I do not eat a lot of grains - will sometimes have kernel corn or rice. It is amazing the difference I feel in the amount of bloating that I have as well. I notice I build muscle much quicker and recover from workouts quicker. My moods have improved and I no longer have PMS or bouts of depression. My autoimmune condition is much less severe.

This doesn't mean that I never eat anything from a package. I just try to choose items with few ingredients when I do. I want to live better through my eating, as I view it as medicine.

Point is, do what feels right to do. It cannot hurt to make better choices and to eat foods that are more vitamin and mineral dense for their caloric load.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Clean eating is what I consider fresh (non-processed) foods. You certainly get a bigger nutrition, without chemicals, bang for your calorie.

Good luck!

19cththprtrp4png.png

I'm not sure these qualify as "ingredients". Could you mix them up and make a blueberry?
  • Alluminati
    Options
    mjo1102 - I agree with you completely... People here can be of no help.

I, personally, cannot lose weight by simply eating at a deficit. I find that my moods are better, I feel better, my autoimmune condition responds better, and I lose weight when I eat more whole foods (which, to me, is "clean" eating). To me, that means eating a lot of organic produce, a colorful array of veggies and fruits, organic/grass fed/free range meats, no dairy, very little soy (this is hard to eliminate entirely, I find), and no gluten. I do not eat gluten because it causes me to have debilitating nerve pain - pain that I dealt with for many years with massage, physical therapy, and ART, and it never got better...only worse. I gave up dairy to see if it would further healing my nerve pain or my autoimmune condition would respond.

I also find that I can eat more calories and lose weight when my diet is high (good) fats, moderate/high protein, and lower carb. I could eat 10 twinkies/day for 1500 cals and not lose weight (actually, I'd gain weight), or I could eat 1700 cals of organic chicken, pork, beef, avocado, squash and cucumbers from my garden, dark chocolate, olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, and fruit, and lose weight. I do not eat a lot of grains - will sometimes have kernel corn or rice. It is amazing the difference I feel in the amount of bloating that I have as well. I notice I build muscle much quicker and recover from workouts quicker. My moods have improved and I no longer have PMS or bouts of depression. My autoimmune condition is much less severe.

This doesn't mean that I never eat anything from a package. I just try to choose items with few ingredients when I do. I want to live better through my eating, as I view it as medicine.

Point is, do what feels right to do. It cannot hurt to make better choices and to eat foods that are more vitamin and mineral dense for their caloric load.

Why does it have to be so extreme? Do you see people coming on here touting the health benefits of eating only 10 Twinkies a day? Is it so hard for you people to wrap your head around eating whole foods for dinner and having 1..count it, 1 Twinkie for dessert? Jesus.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Good luck!

19cththprtrp4png.png

I'm not sure these qualify as "ingredients". Could you mix them up and make a blueberry?

Lol
  • TriNoob
    Options

Most definitely.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I used the twinkie example, as that is the one that is commonly used. I don't think the content of my post should be discarded because I used the all day twinkie example.

To correct: I couldn't lose weight eating toast with butter/jam and bacon, bowl of cheerios with milk, or waffles with an egg for breakfast, turkey sandwich, apple, and chips for lunch, cheesestick and carrot sticks for snack, and a chicken breast with veggies for dinner and a twinkie for dessert.

And why does it have to be "you people?" What do you mean by that? People who can't lose weight eating a twinkie for dessert?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I used the twinkie example, as that is the one that is commonly used. I don't think the content of my post should be discarded because I used the all day twinkie example.

To correct: I couldn't lose weight eating toast with butter/jam and bacon, bowl of cheerios with milk, or waffles with an egg for breakfast, turkey sandwich, apple, and chips for lunch, cheesestick and carrot sticks for snack, and a chicken breast with veggies for dinner and a twinkie for dessert.

Because your total calories in > total calories burned. Got it. No one is disputing this fundamental fact.

So what part of your sample diet caused you to eat more calories than you should in order to lose weight? Was it the breakfast? (Personally, when I eat breakfast, I tend to be hungrier later in the day.) Were you properly weighing and measuring to ensure your calorie counts were as close to accurate as they could be? Were you eating *too few* calories on most days and then binging which eliminated your calorie deficit?

Lots of possible variables...but that you were *not* eating at a net deficit is not in question.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Most definitely.

I dare you!
  • TriNoob
    Options

Most definitely.

I dare you!

You provide the base ingredients and I'll teach you how.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    To me, that means eating a lot of organic produce, a colorful array of veggies and fruits, organic/grass fed/free range meats, no dairy, very little soy (this is hard to eliminate entirely, I find), and no gluten.

If you truly eat "clean" (i.e., eliminate processed foods), how is it difficult to avoid soy? I never accidently eat soy in meat or fruits or vegetables or even in a potato or some lentils.

Oh. So chances are your "clean" diet is pretty similar to the diets lots of us who disagree with the term "clean eating" eat. Wonder why we keep getting lectured about how eating "clean" is so much healthier.

Agree with this. Don't see what it has to do with clean eating, unless you mean ALWAYS choose foods that are more vitamin and mineral dense than the available alternatives, but no one actually does that, of course. There's pretty much always something more nutrient dense you could be eating, depending on how that's defined.