Clean Eating

Options

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    why must there be a clean eating thread every day

Because it's the only way to eat, and people need to hear about it non stop!

Still waiting for clean eating to be defined!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is calories in vs calories out; this is a science. But, that doesn't mean that you HAVE to count every single calorie that passes your lips. I've tried that before. I last 2 weeks, max, and then I just don't have the energy or the headspace to continue with it. With 'clean eating', some days I might not be at a deficit at all. Other days I may have a large or moderate deficit. I personally find that, as someone below mentioned, it's just easier to keep energy intake down that way.

Some people don't track calories, but if you don't then you don't know if you're in the required calorie deficit to lose weight.
    Lots of people against clean eating and who take the 'everything in moderation' approach often cite the professor and his twinkie diet as evidence you can lose weight and eat junk food. And it's true. But weight loss is about so much more. In order to keep it up for the long haul, you need to be satisfied and nourished, and with lots of foods in your diet that contain a lot of calories and not a lot of nutrients, I believe it's much harder to keep up long-term.
    It's the term "clean eating" that people balk at because it is often thrown around like it's the magic solution to getting rid of fat. My mother told us why we need to eat more meat, vegetables, and fruits and less chips, cookies, and cakes, but she never said we were eating clean. The term "clean eating" is newer, thus it will someday be replaced with an even newer term.
    So, I don't think clean eating is a fad, and I think the more you include nutrient dense, whole foods in your diet, the better your results will be, especially long term :)
    As for me, I love whole foods and nutrient dense foods, but sometimes I like something processed. You can have all the nutrient dense, whole foods in your diet you want but it does not necessarily mean better or long term results. The results are dependent upon individual motivation, will power, the need to succeed at weight loss and maintenance, and this can be done whether you eat ALL whole foods of ALL processed foods.

The way I see it, different strokes for different folks, and which way is better is up to the individual. :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Definition of clean eating: washing your food prior to consumption. :bigsmile:
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

Works for me, since it's something you can do easily with whole fruits and veggies but you can only hope the food manufacturers did while the stuff was express laned down the factory conveyor belt. Never mind those sickos who deliberately put insects and insect excretions in our food. Disgusting people. I'm so grossed out since I discovered my multivitamin has carmine in it.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

That's what I was wondering. I personally don't get why anyone would use potato flakes just for straight up taste reasons

I LOVE instant mashed potatoes! All those tasty random chemicals make them even better....
  • asdowe13
    Options

Works for me, since it's something you can do easily with whole fruits and veggies but you can only hope the food manufacturers did while the stuff was express laned down the factory conveyor belt. Never mind those sickos who deliberately put insects and insect excretions in our food. Disgusting people. I'm so grossed out since I discovered my multivitamin has carmine in it.

If insect excretions are what makes Reece Peanut Butter cups so damn delicious they can continue.

As for the above definition of clean eating....I guess I don't always eat clean, sometime i don't wash my fruits and veggies, pull them from the bag or garden and eat. I may even wipe the dirt off my garden veggies, but not always. :bigsmile:
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options

As for the above definition of clean eating....I guess I don't always eat clean, sometime i don't wash my fruits and veggies, pull them from the bag or garden and eat. I may even wipe the dirt off my garden veggies, but not always. :bigsmile:

I picked some basil and parsley last night and used it for dinner. Totally didn't wash it.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

What's wrong with carmine?

(I'm sure I'll get no answer, but I like to torture myself)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    If you are not creating a calorie deficit big enough to lose weight, "clean" eating is no better than "dirty" eating. Using whole ingredients is awesome, but I don't see the need to cut out or demonize foods because they aren't "clean".

However, I do recommend clean eating. It's always good to wash your food before you cook/eat it.
  • asdowe13
    Options

I picked some basil and parsley last night and used it for dinner. Totally didn't wash it.

I approve of your dirty eating!
  • Meerataila
    Options

Carmine (/ˈkɑrmɪn/ or /ˈkɑrmaɪn/), also called crimson lake, cochineal, natural red 4,[1] C.I. 75470,[1] or E120, is a pigment of a bright-red color obtained from the aluminium salt of carminic acid, which is produced by some scale insects, such as the cochineal scale and the Polish cochineal, and is used as a general term for a particularly deep-red color of the same name. Carmine is used in the manufacture of artificial flowers, paints, crimson ink, rouge, and other cosmetics, and is routinely added to food products such as yogurt and certain brands of juice, the most notable ones being those of the ruby-red variety.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmine
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    There have been studies coming out recently on how the changing construction of food/medicine is adding to the obesity epidemic. Antibiotics and fattening chemicals in our meats, chemicals in our processed foods, etc. So, in my mind yes, calories in vs. calories out is important but eating 500 calories of broccoli is better than 500 calories of frozen (processed and chock full of chemicals) waffles.

All these fads crop up because of calories in vs. calories out doesn't work for everyone. If you want to try something new to see if works, go for it. Don't let the haters hate.

I dare anyone to eat 500 calories of broccoli in one meal.

I'd also like someone to explain how eating 500 calories of broccoli in one meal is in any way healthy.

And CICO works for everyone...the problem is that many simply don't understand it.

QTA:
    If anyone *does* accept my challenge to eat slightly more than THREE POUNDS of brocolli, please post video of the event and document your experience during the 24 hours after.

I ate "clean" (aka strict paleo) for the entire calendar year 2012, felt great, and made good progress on my goals. I gained 20 pounds...intentionally, by eating more than I burned, as I was on a slow bulk. (I ate very "unclean" in 2013, felt great, and made good progress on my goals. I lost ~20 pounds...again, intentionally, by eating less than I burned.)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    There have been studies coming out recently on how the changing construction of food/medicine is adding to the obesity epidemic. Antibiotics and fattening chemicals in our meats, chemicals in our processed foods, etc. So, in my mind yes, calories in vs. calories out is important but eating 500 calories of broccoli is better than 500 calories of frozen (processed and chock full of chemicals) waffles.

All these fads crop up because of calories in vs. calories out doesn't work for everyone. If you want to try something new to see if works, go for it. Don't let the haters hate.

I dare anyone to eat 500 calories of broccoli in one meal.

I'd also like someone to explain how eating 500 calories of broccoli in one meal is in any way healthy.

And CICO works for everyone...the problem is that many simply don't understand it.

QTA:
    If anyone *does* accept my challenge to eat slightly more than THREE POUNDS of brocolli, please post video of the event and document your experience during the 24 hours after.

I ate "clean" (aka strict paleo) for the entire calendar year 2012, felt great, and made good progress on my goals. I gained 20 pounds...intentionally, by eating more than I burned, as I was on a slow bulk. (I ate very "unclean" in 2013, felt great, and made good progress on my goals. I lost ~20 pounds...again, intentionally, by eating less than I burned.)

I almost want to do this just to see what will happen.
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options

I almost want to do this just to see what will happen.

No you don't.

tumblr_m6kewx6clg1qdvatvo1_500.gif
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Carmine (/ˈkɑrmɪn/ or /ˈkɑrmaɪn/), also called crimson lake, cochineal, natural red 4,[1] C.I. 75470,[1] or E120, is a pigment of a bright-red color obtained from the aluminium salt of carminic acid, which is produced by some scale insects, such as the cochineal scale and the Polish cochineal, and is used as a general term for a particularly deep-red color of the same name. Carmine is used in the manufacture of artificial flowers, paints, crimson ink, rouge, and other cosmetics, and is routinely added to food products such as yogurt and certain brands of juice, the most notable ones being those of the ruby-red variety.

So? Are you allergic?
  • Meerataila
    Options

So? Are you allergic?

No, I just haven't thought eating bugs was cool since preschool.

But if I had to claim a religion to justify not doing so, I'd convert to something that doesn't allow such disgusting food practices. Surely one exists. If it doesn't, I might make one up.
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options
    Bugs are natural...wouldn't that be considered clean?
  • Meerataila
    Options
    Bugs are natural...wouldn't that be considered clean?

Not in my definition. Not on my planet. Foul. Foul disgusting, gross!

Edit: But since I did just switch to vegan for ethical reasons, I'm going to claim poor bugs! I will not eat you!

Gross.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options

My question is will I start to see any weight loss results from eating clean, and watching caloric intake, even if I haven't begun working out regularly?

Absolutely! People will tell you that eating clean is stupid and it's all just calories in vs calories out, but for some of us "eating clean" (whatever that means to you) makes eating less easier! It can help with cravings, nutrition absorption, stomach upset...etc. I have always found that about 70% of the results are related to diet, not the gym.
  • marykpfist
    marykpfist Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    While eating "clean" calories might be the same weight effect as eating the same number of calories in frozen waffles-- paying attention to what you eat and eating better foods will make you feel better.

There is more nutrition in a cup of broccoli than the same number of calories from Popsicle. If you feel better, you are likely to sleep better, move more, and pay attention to other aspects of your life.

There are people who can lose weight eating only DESSERTS.... but for many pf us, I find that when I pay attention to what goes in, I focus on other things too. Try it-- everyone has what works for them.

Just be sure that you don't UP your number of calories without adding movement. Even without a gym, walking would help.
    Good luck with it!:happy: :happy: