Replies

• bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    and why do a of people on mfp hate them so much :angry:
  • bfanny
    Options
    I don't know??? carbs make ME happy and give ME energy!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    ec79e0ed0ebe29b64208f231e047f344.jpg

I miss Sarah Haskins :(
  • bfanny
    Options
    I have a thigh gap and I has nothing to do with carbs/weight since I eat like 200 grms a day, even when I was over 160 lbs, in MY case is Genetics... So I have the gap and I eat my cake too LOL...
  • girlygirlnicole
    girlygirlnicole Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Carbs are known to give people a high but the bad carbs give you energy and then crash you with a spike sugar level leaving you tired and sleepy.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Carbs are delicious. What they do is make me happy!
  • lrkidd
    lrkidd Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Idk what they are but they make me fat.

No, too many calories makes you fat. It doesn't matter if those calories are carbs, protein or fat.

It's definitely the carbs. I know my body.

Unless your body works differently than the standard human body, the biochemistry is the same. If carbs made one fat, all vegans would be fat. They eat almost nothing but carbs.

Everyone's body IS different. We do not fit into a pre conceived mold and the idea that a "one diet fits all" is absurd. I have insulin resistance and because my body doesn't process sugars properly I CANNOT eat heavy carb laden meals or even lightly carb laden meals. I have no choice. I would be very happy if I could incorporate carbs into my diet but I can't.

So caloric deficits don't work for you? Pretty sure that diet works for everyone, but nice to play the special snowflake card

I said nothing at all about calories...that wasn't even in the original discussion. I stay below 1700 calories a day, exercise 6 days a week, eats fruits veggies and LEAN protein. But what I CANNOT do is eat breads, sugars (except what I get from the fruit I eat), rice, and pastas. This is not because of any "snowflake card" this is because of a medical condition that forces me to abide by certain dietary rules. I guess you assumed that because my body does not process carbs like yours that I eat in excess. Well that is a serious misconception.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

No, too many calories makes you fat. It doesn't matter if those calories are carbs, protein or fat.

Unless your body works differently than the standard human body, the biochemistry is the same. If carbs made one fat, all vegans would be fat. They eat almost nothing but carbs.

Everyone's body IS different. We do not fit into a pre conceived mold and the idea that a "one diet fits all" is absurd. I have insulin resistance and because my body doesn't process sugars properly I CANNOT eat heavy carb laden meals or even lightly carb laden meals. I have no choice. I would be very happy if I could incorporate carbs into my diet but I can't.

So caloric deficits don't work for you? Pretty sure that diet works for everyone, but nice to play the special snowflake card

I said nothing at all about calories...that wasn't even in the original discussion. I stay below 1700 calories a day, exercise 6 days a week, eats fruits veggies and LEAN protein. But what I CANNOT do is eat breads, sugars (except what I get from the fruit I eat), rice, and pastas. This is not because of any "snowflake card" this is because of a medical condition that forces me to abide by certain dietary rules. I guess you assumed that because my body does not process carbs like yours that I eat in excess. Well that is a serious misconception.

Actually, "the idea that a "one diet fits all" is absurd", so a diet that requires one to create a calorific deficit is absurd? That diet won't work for everyone? I didn't assume anything, I took what you said and offered a counter example. So you can't eat the sugars found in vegetables, just in fruit? What if they are the exact same sugar such as sucrose? Can you eat lactose? You seem to have a serious misconception on what sugar is among many things. A little research goes a long way.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    One thing that a lot of people that promote low carb diets don't understand is how the body changes with body fat levels.

While most fat people will do well on a low carb diet, especially though that have insulin resistance to some degree (the morbid obese will almost universally do better on a low carb diet). As you get leaner and more fit, insulin resistance becomes sensitivity. You become very sensitive to glycogen levels, too low and exercise performance craters and you feel horrible. That whole insulin spikes and falling blood sugar making you hungry/tired, that only happens if you have some degree of insulin resistance; when lean and fit it tends to make you feel awesome.

Lean and fit people almost universally do better on a high carb diet.
  • lrkidd
    Options

Actually, "the idea that a "one diet fits all" is absurd", so a diet that requires one to create a calorific deficit is absurd? That diet won't work for everyone? I didn't assume anything, I took what you said and offered a counter example. So you can't eat the sugars found in vegetables, just in fruit? What if they are the exact same sugar such as sucrose? Can you eat lactose? You seem to have a serious misconception on what sugar is among many things. A little research goes a long way.

Good luck to you and your trolling but I do not have the time to waste that you obviously do. I have done my research and have been to 6 different endos trying to pin point my health problems. And unless you are a doctor(which I highly doubt), I think I will stick to what works for me.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Hi! Hopefully, I can explain all of this without turning this into an anatomy lecture.

The body has three ways to get energy for fuel: carbs, fat, and protein. The pancreas produces three different digestive hormones to break down food into these simple fuels: amylase for carbs, lipase for fat, and protease for protein.

Carbs is the cleanest and easiest method. Starting in the mouth, amylase begins to break down every carbohydrate into glucose. The pancreas then produces insulin (part of the endocrine system) that acts as a key to allow glucose -energy- to enter the cells.

There are cases where carbs cannot be used as energy. For example, people on ketosis (low-carb) diets limit their carbohydrate intake to the point where their diet is all fat and protein. In the case of diabetics who cannot produce insulin, they have glucose in the bloodstream that can be used as energy, but the glucose cannot enter the cells without insulin. The body still needs energy to function though, and it results to using fat as energy.

Using fat as energy is like using oil to heat a home. It is not exactly the cleanest process. When fat is used by the body, ketones are produced. In small amounts, ketones are not deadly. When they start building up in the body, ketoacidosis, a deadly buildup of ketones in the blood that causes the body to become acidic, can occur.

Personally, I do not know exactly why some members of MFP despise carbs. The total calories of a meal is calculated by adding up the calories of each gram of carbs, fat, protein, and alcohol (4 calories for 1g of fat or protein, 9 calories for 1g fat, 7 calories for 1g alcohol). If you want to get more "bang for your calorie", it would be wise to eat carbs and protein. The body still needs fat though, and a balance of all three tends to help me from going insane.

Unfortunately, I am a diabetic who was diagnosed while I was in diabetic ketoacidosis. I consider ketones to be the greater evil, so I have to make sure that I include some carbs in my diet while always making sure that I have insulin in my body to prevent my body from using fat as fuel.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Good luck to you and your trolling but I do not have the time to waste that you obviously do. I have done my research and have been to 6 different endos trying to pin point my health problems. And unless you are a doctor(which I highly doubt), I think I will stick to what works for me.

Ah yes pointing out one's ignorance is trolling. You failed to explain how you "cannot eat" sugars except for those within fruits, but apparently can since you mention other sugars that you do eat. If you have done your research, how do you not know what a sugar is, since that is supposedly something you can't eat?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Well everyone is different and they definitely make me fat. The skinny vegans must just be lucky.

20110328060122!Snowflake.gif

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSf-_04nBIdHEgemPVdkenIea4w8N5PcDgVp3IxMx_6logGfC74Vg
  • lrkidd
    Options

Ah yes pointing out one's ignorance is trolling. You failed to explain how you "cannot eat" sugars except for those within fruits, but apparently can since you mention other sugars that you do eat. If you have done your research, how do you not know what a sugar is, since that is supposedly something you can't eat?

No the trolling comment came from the fact that you have posted 10,913 to date....that makes 10 a day every day for 3 straight years. The fact that I did not address the comment about sugars in the veggies I eat was because you are picking apart a comment just to try to make me look stupid. The reason I did not address the sugars in veggies is because, unless you are loading up on carrots or root type vegis(such as beets) the sugar content in them is so small they are a nonissue. Done have a nice day
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I find this site to be really good for 'plain english' explanations:
    http://www.healthcastle.com

This page addresses Carbs specifically:
    http://www.healthcastle.com/nutrition101_carbohydrates.shtml

The list of related articles will probably answer every issue that you can think of after that :)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    XtHQKml.gif
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    One thing that a lot of people that promote low carb diets don't understand is how the body changes with body fat levels.

While most fat people will do well on a low carb diet, especially though that have insulin resistance to some degree (the morbid obese will almost universally do better on a low carb diet). As you get leaner and more fit, insulin resistance becomes sensitivity. You become very sensitive to glycogen levels, too low and exercise performance craters and you feel horrible. That whole insulin spikes and falling blood sugar making you hungry/tired, that only happens if you have some degree of insulin resistance; when lean and fit it tends to make you feel awesome.

Lean and fit people almost universally do better on a high carb diet.

That's actually really interesting, thanks. I don't go low carb but many of my carbs tend to be in an evening as treats (and I work out in a morning normally). This worked really well for me for the first 12 months but the last few months I've upped my running mileage (25miles a week) & training intensity (running, cross training & 2 weights sessions a week) and am finding that a)I need to be far more concious of fuelling for my longer runs than I previously was (although the individual distance has only increased by 2-3 miles) as I find I feel bleugh quickly if I don't and b)I'm regularly craving carbs (especially things like wholemeal bread, porridge etc). Now I don't claim to be lean (still have around 40lbs to lose) but I'm significantly lighter & much much fitter than I was. I actually asked my MFP pals if there was any reason I'd be suddenly craving carbs and your post provides a possible answer, so thank you :)