The great weight lifting debate

Options

Replies

• MOMXW
    MOMXW Posts: 41
    Options
    Once I stopped putting down the girly fitness magazines and started lifting heavy, I saw the most progress in my body. You don't need to spend tons of time at the gym. I workout on my lunch break, 30 mins or so. Check out stronglifts 5x5, there's even a free phone app you can use to log your workouts. It's compound lifts so it works your whole body. 3 different lifts, 5 reps, 5 sets... that's all you need. You don't need to wait until you are closer to your goal weight. You should also check out New Rules of Lifting for Women. Pretty much says that heavy lifting along with a good diet (i.e. TDEE less 20% with enough protein) will burn body fat, with or without cardio.

Thank you for 1) actually reading my question, 2) making a clear response 3) adding your personal experience and results. Most useful response so far. I know compund lifts have been mentioned before in a response I dismissed, but yours makes a lot more sense. Though, what it TDEE?

Here are some links that may help you with TDEE and lifting.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

I started the Stronglifts program 8 weeks ago. I've lost inches everywhere. The scale hasn't moved - because muscles retain water to repair, so expect for the number not to move. It's better to take your measurements and progress photos and go from there.

I'm 5'5" do SL 3x a week, I eat 2000 calories a day (that's a fixed amount I do not eat exercise calories back). I lost 2" in my right leg alone. I fell in love with lifting the minute I picked up a barbell.

What also helped me, was at first I only focused on the SL program. I didn't do any extra (other than make sure I got 5 miles walked a day - not necessarily all at once, just wanted to get my steps in). After about 3-4 weeks I did start adding some cardio. Listen to your body and let it guide you as to what you should do. A foam roller has helped me with DOMS I was experiencing more in the beginning.

Wonderful! Thanks heaps! Hope you lost 2" in your left leg too lol, I really do enjoy lifting, and I guess reading that I shouldn't made me want to get it confirmed from folk that had been through similar and were doing well on it.
  • MOMXW
    Options

Your calorie needs are determined largely by your size and your activity levels and there's some individual component to this as well but this is not the same thing as "body type". Your shape, or your somatotype (ecto/endo/meso) are 100% irrelevant.

If you put people on a calorie deficit they will lose weight and if you put people on a calorie surplus they will gain weight. This happens regardless of their body type, because science.

Agree here but it is more how much how quickly and when they plateau: when your body gets wise to your weight loss attempts and corrects itself.

Hi! I'm going to answer you as an individual, not at a troll, so here's hoping my advice is received and utilized.

Your body doesn't "get wise" to your attempt to drop pounds. It's not trying to sabotage you or keep fat on itself. Your body is, for all intents and purposes, a machine. It reacts to what you fuel it with, and if it isn't receiving enough fuel to complete its daily activities, it finds alternate fuel (your fat) and burns that.

If you eat at a HUGE deficit (judging from your picture, 1200-1400 calories a day is A HUGE deficit for you) your body will drop weight fast. Then, when you weigh less, it will be harder to drop weight at that same caloric intake, because your body NEEDS fewer calories every day to function.

The best and most sustainable way to drop your fat (I assume you'd like to keep your muscle mass, or build more?) is to eat at a deficit of 100-200 calories a day. Eat as MUCH AS YOU CAN, in fact, and do as LITTLE CARDIO AS POSSIBLE while STILL dropping weight. Because then, when you weigh less, you can reduce the calories and input more cardio, so plateaus won't be as big a hurdle.

What you're doing by eating 1200-1400 calories at this point is setting yourself up for failure and rebound.

Thank you very very very much.
  • MOMXW
    Options
    Hi,

I am not a weight lifting expert but I would have to agree with previous posters that there is no reason to delay heavier weight lifting based on having an hourglass shape. You have also been given some excellent advice about where to start (5 x 5 stronglifts is excellent!). In addition to the physical results I thought you might want to hear from another hourglass about other benefits (my measurements are 41-31-41 with a goal to get to 38-28-38).

- losing inches while gaining muscle helps keep you motivated to stay on track with both diet and workouts (getting slimmer is visually appealing but getting slimmer and seeing sexy indents in the side of your thighs and the curve of your bicips is priceless!)

- heavy lifting will keep those curves "high and proud". This is probably TMI but it isn't realistic to expect that using little 3 lbs weights will build enough muscle to support the "girls" over the long-term

- perhaps you went through puberty unscathed but being an earlier bloomer wrecked havoc on my self-esteem and I took on the labels of being "mushy" and "built for comfort not for speed". I also felt clumsy and avoided sports. Starting to lift weights in my 20s was key to getting rid of this negativity and becoming the "kick-*kitten* amazon goddess" I aspired to be.

- the balance of hormones that tend to result in an hourglass shape often also result in a bit of a slugish metabolism. Weight lifting helps increase metabolism and speed up weight loss.

As an hourglass I have found that lifting weights has helped offset some of the potentially negative aspects of being an hourglass (or on a better note, positively highlight). My best girlfriend is very tall and slender and she finds that lifting weights makes her more feminine and curvy. Point being, weight lifting does the female body good!

Thank you so much! I remember when my waist was 31 inches. My goal is actually your current measurements!
  • MOMXW
    Options
    Wow! this thread was a doozy!

OP - There's tons of good information here and if you'd rather not follow the advice given read these links instead (tho its pretty much the same stuff you've been told here):

This one is really good:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This one is my new favorite. It makes so much sense!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1318741-in-5-weeks-you-ll-lose-10lbs-why-is-it-not-working

Good luck

TA
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options

I have been working at a calorific deficit and have still gained muscle, though this is not my primary goal. I guess I go against the odds. I am looking to get slimmer not build up muscle or muscle definition (my body apparently disagrees with my intentions and is building muscle relatively quickly but not shifting fat as fast so I get a spike in weight and then a slow drop).

I think there is some confusion that I am trying to go for Trish Warren,more Kelly Brook.
    If you are seeing more muscle definition that means you are losing fat. The only way you will ever see muscle definition is if the fat above it has been stripped away. Simple as that. You are not gaining muscle in a deficit.
  • MOMXW
    Options
    Some useful things, some less useful things and somethings I did not think helped anybody.

I have read pretty much all the responses (ones that were trying to be argumentative I skipped past) and I think I responded to all the ones I thought were folk genuinely trying to help (there were I think 2 that I did think were helpful that I did not reply to.)

As I replied to another post, I do appreciate that some assumptions had to be made in regards to giving advice as (previously mentioned) without following me around and checking my every mouthful and every workout some assumptions do need to be made.

I should have probably mentioned earlier, that I have been working out for the last couple years (this includes lifting) so it is not that I just walked into the gym and went, "Yeah, see that 85kg, I'ma lift that" I built up to it.

I weigh my food and I do eat high protein. As mentioned, I have eaten 2000 cals and I mean lean meats (mostly, sometimes you have to have a couple of rashers of streaky bacon, and a rib or two otherwise where is the joy?!)

I thank everyone for the help.

It seems everyone agrees about lifting but not so much on the calorie deficit. I am still a fan of eat less move more, and I don't think that will change anytime soon mainly because I have tried different calorie consumption levels and this one works for me and my body (the other great debate. I still think it is unrealistic to think that everyone is the same in how they lose weight. It has been proven that men and women lose weight differently. Also take a look at certain athletes within the same team. That is the peer study for me when it comes to the different body type question. Take a look at a rugby team or if that is not your sport compare football world football squads that are built of layers on the same or similar diets.) is a heavy deficit.

In regards to dismissing the merits of taking your body type into account to reach weight loss goals, here are a few things that I found interesting:

http://www.naturallyintense.net/blog/weight-loss/why-people-store-fat-in-different-parts-of-the-body/

"As reported by Time magazine, researchers found that body shape is the key to which diet a person will be able to stick with."

http://www.rd.com/health/diet-weight-loss/could-body-shape-be-the-key-to-weight-loss/

Time Magazine:

"It is already widely accepted that even the most rigorously adhered-to diet will not produce the same results from person to person. Some of us are simply genetically predisposed to burn more calories more efficiently than others. Restricting those calories, as you do on a diet, will similarly lead to differing results."

"For apple-shaped people hunting for the right diet, a blood test to determine insulin levels may help confirm which regimen will work best for them. But for pears, it remains a toss-up. So until scientists find out more about their body shape, they'll have to lose the old-fashioned way: eating less"

http://content.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1626795_1627112_1626457,00.html

No mention of hourglass though.... Oh well!
  • MOMXW
    Options

I have been working at a calorific deficit and have still gained muscle, though this is not my primary goal. I guess I go against the odds. I am looking to get slimmer not build up muscle or muscle definition (my body apparently disagrees with my intentions and is building muscle relatively quickly but not shifting fat as fast so I get a spike in weight and then a slow drop).

I think there is some confusion that I am trying to go for Trish Warren,more Kelly Brook.
    If you are seeing more muscle definition that means you are losing fat. The only way you will ever see muscle definition is if the fat above it has been stripped away. Simple as that. You are not gaining muscle in a deficit.

But my bum if firmer (sorry if that is a bit TMI) I would have thought that it it was firmer and higher (again sorry if that is TMI) there was a build up of muscle? ! I do not particularly want to gain muscle anyway, so it is good news if it is fat loss, but it would be good to know what is going on. Does that mean that when the scales go up but I can see more definition....I am retaining water maybe?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

But my bum if firmer (sorry if that is a bit TMI) I would have thought that it it was firmer and higher (again sorry if that is TMI) there was a build up of muscle? ! I do not particularly want to gain muscle anyway, so it is good news if it is fat loss, but it would be good to know what is going on. Does that mean that when the scales go up but I can see more definition....I am retaining water maybe?

As that poster states, you are losing fat and so you're seeing the muscle definition that was under the fat.

From my understanding newbie gains in muscle does happen, but not a lot and only in the beginning. You only gain muscle if you are eating in a surplus, really trying to, and it's actually really hard for women to put on muscle. So you will see changes in your body, it's your fat going away to reveal what was underneath.

If you're lifting, it probably is retaining water because it's repairing the muscles.

ETA - You will not bulk up by lifting super heavy. Especially eating in a deficit.

ETA Part II - While technically peoples bodies are different and fat will come off in different places, at different rates for different people, weight loss is really the same for everyone - barring medical conditions. Calories in < Calories Out.

And for lifting heavy you really need to fuel your body. That's why I'm doing the TDEE-15% method. I have a fitbit which has also helped me determine my TDEE and since starting lifting my TDEE has actually gone up so I can eat more. And who doesn't want to eat more.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    In regards to dismissing the merits of taking your body type into account to reach weight loss goals, here are a few things that I found interesting:

http://www.naturallyintense.net/blog/weight-loss/why-people-store-fat-in-different-parts-of-the-body/

"As reported by Time magazine, researchers found that body shape is the key to which diet a person will be able to stick with."

http://www.rd.com/health/diet-weight-loss/could-body-shape-be-the-key-to-weight-loss/

Time Magazine:

"It is already widely accepted that even the most rigorously adhered-to diet will not produce the same results from person to person. Some of us are simply genetically predisposed to burn more calories more efficiently than others. Restricting those calories, as you do on a diet, will similarly lead to differing results."

"For apple-shaped people hunting for the right diet, a blood test to determine insulin levels may help confirm which regimen will work best for them. But for pears, it remains a toss-up. So until scientists find out more about their body shape, they'll have to lose the old-fashioned way: eating less"

http://content.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1626795_1627112_1626457,00.html

No mention of hourglass though.... Oh well!
    [/quote]

This article is from 2007--7 years old! A lot has changed in regards to weight loss theories since then.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Using the muscle makes it firmer but that doesn't mean muscle gain. As was indicated it is very hard for a woman to gain muscle and she has to be in a calorie surplus and doing a progressive load lifting program...we as woman might gain 1/2lb of muscle a month if we are really careful with our intake etc...

When the scale goes up it could be water retention...but that would only account for maybe upto 5lbs...10 max and that would be rare...and you would be so bloated and uncomfortable...

I usually am 1-2lbs heavier the day after I lift, then the next day it's gone...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Caloric deficit means you won't gain muscle. You will, however, retain the muscle you have, and shift the proportion of weight lost to fat (instead of muscle), if you lift heavy.

No one said you didn't need to eat at a deficit, but most of us see 1200 as a red flag, especially with intense working out. The odds are usually that you don't need to go that low.

Take a look a Starting Strength or StrongLifts. They're compound workouts and take about 30 minutes to complete. It's a lot easier to do than the complex routine you're trying to do, and you'll likely see better results from it. And yes, it really is that easy. The fitness magazines and whatnot have confused you and you're overthinking it, that's what everyone here is trying to show you.

A "full body" routine does not mean you do lunges and curls and ab twists and and and... (though admittedly, a lot of the people left out the crucial "compound movement" part). Squats get your entire posterior chain and core; bench presses get your arms, shoulders, chest, and to a lesser extent, back; deadlifts get your core, glutes, and thighs. They do it in one movement, in one exercise.

Cardio isn't terrible for weight loss, but it's not great, either, particularly steady state cardio. Cardio is largely just strength training for your cardiovascular system (aka your heart). You don't need cardio to lose weight, and if you do a good, challenging routine like StrongLifts, you'll probably find you need those rest days in between more than you need the cardio.

Also: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

You don't gain muscle on a deficit. Period. :noway:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I think newbie gains are too easily dismissed on here as something that are very gradual and only happen for a few months. That's not the case. The first year can be pretty dramatic. It slows down from there to about year 5 from from what I've read, and that is consistent with my own experience. Just keep training, don't worry so much about the numbers in terms of "oh, I've gained x pounds of muscle" because it's a guestimation game anyway. Just look in the mirror for your results.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Caloric deficit means you won't gain muscle. You will, however, retain the muscle you have, and shift the proportion of weight lost to fat (instead of muscle), if you lift heavy.

No one said you didn't need to eat at a deficit, but most of us see 1200 as a red flag, especially with intense working out. The odds are usually that you don't need to go that low.

Take a look a Starting Strength or StrongLifts. They're compound workouts and take about 30 minutes to complete. It's a lot easier to do than the complex routine you're trying to do, and you'll likely see better results from it. And yes, it really is that easy. The fitness magazines and whatnot have confused you and you're overthinking it, that's what everyone here is trying to show you.

A "full body" routine does not mean you do lunges and curls and ab twists and and and... (though admittedly, a lot of the people left out the crucial "compound movement" part). Squats get your entire posterior chain and core; bench presses get your arms, shoulders, chest, and to a lesser extent, back; deadlifts get your core, glutes, and thighs. They do it in one movement, in one exercise.

Cardio isn't terrible for weight loss, but it's not great, either, particularly steady state cardio. Cardio is largely just strength training for your cardiovascular system (aka your heart). You don't need cardio to lose weight, and if you do a good, challenging routine like StrongLifts, you'll probably find you need those rest days in between more than you need the cardio.

Also: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

B.S.

She's overestimating her gains, almost certainly, and most of what she's seeing is from fat loss, but starting out as untrained? Yea, she's gained some muscle.
  • randomtai
    Options

B.S.

She's overestimating her gains, almost certainly, and most of what she's seeing is from fat loss, but starting out as untrained? Yea, she's gained some muscle.

Everything needs a disclaimer around here. O.k. you are not gaining muscle in a deficit except for newbie gains. :yawn:
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

B.S.

Everything needs a disclaimer around here. O.k. you are not gaining muscle in a deficit except for newbie gains. :yawn:

So sorry for pointing out the mantra repeated so often on here and adding "Period" as if you're giving absolute advice from on high, is utter and complete B.S. Train more. Read more. Talk less.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Some of these are typical responses that I hoped to avoid by giving some background.
    I also want to say that 1200 calories is not enough. I would recommend going up to 1400 that way you will still lose a large amount of weight but this way you will not damage your metabolism.

In regards to the 1,200 calories, if say I burn 500 calories working out then I will actually eat 1,700 calories. The 1,200 is a base line. I cannot eat massive amounts of calories as I gain weight very easily. I tried eating 1,500 a day (so this would be 2000 if I burned 500 calories) and I gained weight so the 1,200 limit works for my metabolism which us very slow.

Also, I was not asking if I should or should not lift weights, but if I should lift heavy weight or light weights.

Lift heavy. Try strong curves. I'm hourglass 34 24 36 and the curves are getting even better. I'm not happy unless I'm lifting so heavy my veins pop out and I swear a bit too loudly. I've dropped 10% body fat this way.

By the way, when you upped your calories you gained water, food in the gut, glycogen. You need to make allowances for these things when working out whether you've gained fat or not. You've got your numbers all wrong, and may be under eating and burning muscle instead of fat.
  • randomtai
    Options
    So sorry for pointing out the mantra repeated so often on here and adding "Period" as if you're giving absolute advice from on high, is utter and complete B.S. Train more. Read more. Talk less.

Ok :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

or keep trash talking because you're clueless . . .

:flowerforyou:
  • randomtai
    Options

or keep trash talking because you're clueless . . .

:flowerforyou:

Ok. :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • honeriley
    honeriley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Some good advice here.

Doing the big compound lifting movements is the way to go. Rep range of 6 - 12. Lift heavy and push yourself close to failure.

'body type' is a myth.

You don't need to do cardio unless you find it helps with your c ardio unless you think it helps with your apetite. I would rather just not eat 200 calories rather than spend 2 hours on the treadmill.

I would recommend doing iifym and meeting a protein and fat target in addition to your overall caloric target.