What do/did you hate most about being fat?

Replies

• lizzynewm
    lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
    going shopping with friends in highschool and awkwardly knowing nothing would fit at places like forever21 but pretending to browse anyway, and feeling so insanely out of place, that really sucked.

but a lot of the stuff i hated most, like that one, goes away when the pounds go away. i think what i hated most is something that doesn't go away immediately when you lose the weight: the self consciousness. even at my lowest weight (and looking back, i looked awesome!) i felt fat and uncomfortable, because that distortion of perception just sticks with you. when you lived your whole life being fat, it's hard to stop feeling fat.
  • Jdigs88
    Jdigs88 Posts: 71 Member
    1) Thigh chafing in skirts/dresses...the combination of wanting to wear a dress to look cute and appropriate for a date, but then being awkward/scared of going on walks and such while on the date because of associated chafing, and god forbid wanting to take anything off later and have the red rash from the chafing be noticeable...

2) Not being able to shop at the same stores as my smaller friends, and associated with that, not feeling super comfy dragging them into plus-size stores with me.

3) People assuming that I'm inflexible, inactive, and/or uncoordinated. I feel very "You don't know me, bi-otch" about that. It's true that I may not always be able to keep up, but don't assume I can't, because it depends on the activity at hand and only I know my capabilities.

4) My own insecurity and shame around weight. I worried about other people's judgement so much that I doubted my own worth or appeal at times, and held myself back - even if sometimes subconsciously - from doing things I wanted to do, giving into the excitement for various adventures, or from pursuing/accepting the pursuit of relationships. Even worse, I was ashamed at times about being in certain restaurants or with certain people because of my, their, or our combined weight, which is horrible. -- This is more about my relationship with food and appearance than fat, per se, but the two were the same for so long (and I still sometimes struggle with it) that it makes this list for me.
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    The ONLY thing I didn't hate about being fat was that I was comfortable in winter! The lowest early morning temp it has gotten so far is 71 and I was freezing! I only got in my pool like 3 times this summer because even when it was 100 I would freeze. .

Other than that, I hated everything about being morbidly obese!
  • kcaitbpaitw
    kcaitbpaitw Posts: 14 Member
    going shopping with friends in highschool and awkwardly knowing nothing would fit at places like forever21 but pretending to browse anyway, and feeling so insanely out of place, that really sucked.

this. this is my #1 petty non-health related reason I want to lose weight. non-plus sized women have 50 stores they can shop in for clothes at the mall and i have .... lane Bryant, yay
  • Daphnerose86
    Daphnerose86 Posts: 77 Member
    I've never really felt as big as I was until I saw pictures. Trying to take a selfie where I didn't have a double chin was a nightmare so I've just stopped taking pictures. I'm down 30lbs from my biggest and I'm way more active than I was so I'm starting to feel better but running is a weird sensation now because aaaalll of me jiggles and it's a horrible feeling. LIke I'm wearing a back pack, saddle bags and a fanny pack. At one point I couldn't bend over to tie my shoes. I've never had anyone mention my weight in a negative way and that's been great because I'm getting healthier because I want to and not because someone made me feel guilty about being me. I feel for anyone who has to go through that- it must be horrible. :(
  • The more weight I lose the more I realized how much I didn't like. I suppose what I hated the most was the denial. What scares me the most is that maybe I didn't define myself as anything but a fat girl unworthy of love and success. I hate that being fat was such a integral part of my identity, and I think that mindset is what is creating the plateau I am in. Once I lose the weight I won't have my built in excuse for why things haven't worked out the way I wanted. So what I hate the most is over 80 pounds later I am still having to think, "who am I?"
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Tight pants and cellulite.
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Around certain groups of friends (read thin friends) I wouldn't sit. As if standing hid my gut lol. The worst was feeling sick everytime I ate because everything was processed. I literally had to plan my day around having an hour after eating for my stomach pains to pass. Not on a clean eating soap box here. Also bathing suits, and that even in Arizona summers I still dont really wear shorts in public. Ugh the worst.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Things I hate about being fat/having an unhealthy lifestyle:

1. Not being taken as seriously as I want in my work, and probably not taking myself as seriously either
    2. The disability creep - continual things that are harder and harder to do
    3. Long-term damage to my health
    4. Not being asked to dance by guys
    5. Having so much trouble finding the right clothes and when I finally have a wardrobe I like, not fitting it due to weight ups and downs
    6. Not being at peace with myself
    7. Self-care
    8. Stretchmarks and loose skin
  • My stomach, resting on my lap!!!
    Looking at myself in mirrors, windows, etc. . .
    Not wanting to be in photos (even for both my sons weddings).
    Not wanting to be seen by people who use to know me before I became fat.
    Not fitting comfortably in booths at a restaurant.
    Seeing other fat people and asking my husband "am I that big" and he answers honestly.
    Shopping for clothes and getting disgusted with myself because no matter what I put on it looks like a tent.
    Thinking for a minute that I look good after getting dressed for a night out and then seeing the truth in a picture.
    Not wanting to be seen by my husbands co-workers because I don't want to embarrass him, or myself!

The list goes on and on. . . There not one thing I hate the most, I hate all of it equally. It wont be this way for long though.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    I've had weight issues for most of my adult life. The worst thing about it was for the most part I was doing all the "right things" eating fruit and veg etc listening to all the "right things to do". It took me a life time to discover what dietary salicylate can do (it flies in the face of the commonly accepted rules), and how it can make you thyroid under function because it could not remove the toxin from my system. The count of people, including those in the medical profession who knew it was a simple case of my ignorance and what I was putting in my mouth, concluding I did not have any interest in my health is beyond number. I have made good use of the Salicylate Sensitive, web site, (a bit of a misnomer because it is a toxin) and the "Stop the thyroid Madness" site. I'm getting my life back with minimal input from the medics.

All the very best to everyone on their way to their own improved health.
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    In no particular order:

1) Seeing myself in pictures.
    2) Growing horizontally out of my clothes and having to buy newer, bigger clothing items. Très cher.
    3) Feeling exhausted when taking the stairs.
    4) My dating pool shifting and changing with each extra 5 lbs gained.
    5) Being the fat sibling.
    6) Not being able to wear the styles I love.
    7) Not having the body that fits me, that is, not having the body that I feel most comfortable in. I know a lot of women love having hips, etc; but, I really like having a more androgynous look. It suits my personality, and it works best with the fashion that I prefer.
    8) Knowing that I was choosing to harm myself through overeating/binge eating.
    9) Not having realized just how selfish overeating truly is.
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Use to Hate: worrying about whether or not pants would fit over my thighs/hips, tugging at shirts so they weren't so clingy, seeing pictures of myself

Now hate (upon reflection): that when co-workers see me in running gear for my after-work run, people compliment how athletic I am (which makes me think about when I would be in running gear previously, people would say how inspiring it is to see someone trying...)

Now I highly doubt the people who said the stuff about me trying was meant as a slight, but as genuine "atta girl!". But when you are heavy, hearing that you are "trying" when you go to exercise feels like you aren't actually accomplishing anything. Sigh.
  • kwarner87
    kwarner87 Posts: 11 Member
    The youngest & the biggest--- HATE THAT!!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Having to get in the line for the fat guy seats on the rollercoaster
  • denise31992
    denise31992 Posts: 51 Member
    -Being uncomfortable when taking pictures to hide my tummy (big side-effect to being skinny-fat)
    -Not fitting into my jeans, so considering just buying bigger ones
    -Feeding pure junk into my body and feeling lethargic in return
    -Feeling tired/grumpy/sad all the time about being on the heavier side when I used to be so small
    -Getting comments like, "Did you gain weight?"
    -Continually telling myself that tomorrow will be the day I decide to make changes and then never doing it
    -Feeling tired of being fat
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    using the "normal" size stalls in the rest room.. i always felt like i was squished...
  • emily889
    emily889 Posts: 296 Member
    The thing I hate most is attempting to date. Worst feeling in the world being set up with someone or on a blind date, they sit through the date, then never talk to me again :grumble: I have been told multiple times "bigger girls are good to sleep with but not to date" :mad:
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    This is going to apply for every man...

ready...?

Man boobs. /thread
  • W2BH
    W2BH Posts: 19 Member
    I'm not one to really give two shakes about what others "think" of me so that never really bothered me too much. I can eat in front of others, even if it's a splurge meal. If they don't like it, they should keep their eyes on their own plates. Perhaps because I exuded the "I could care less about your opinion" attitude, I never really was bothered by anyone about my weight. I think they figured out it would just run off me like water on a duck! lol

The worse part for me is tugging at my clothes all the time if they fit too snuggly, or feeling compelled to wear loose clothing not to cover up but to simply feel comfortable in my clothes. However, the very worse part for me is having tons of aches and pains and just zero energy. These are also symptoms associated with my fibromyalgia diagnosis; however, they are lessened when I am at a lower weight. Fatigue sucks and carrying too much weight just makes it worse for me.

It's amazing how insensitive people can be, even family members. Thank goodness I've always had the support of my loved ones, no judging, just love.