STOP ATTACKING OP's!!! NOW!

Options

Replies

• hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    While it's always best to speak politely to people, sometimes a little tough love, (if they need it) doesn't hurt to get them moving down the right track.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Except, y'know, sometimes the OP's are WRONG (i.e. need correction). In that case it's good to correct the error and it can HELP them by giving them information. We have freedom of speech. We don't have to shut up if we disagree. Or the OP may be trolling. And yeah, it's immature to be a jerk. But it's also immature to troll. Goes both ways.

And those threads can be fun to read. ;)

Lol it is fun to read.......... all fun and games until your own thread gets attacked...... and then its just like.......... hey hey I'm a nice person don't attack me rawr! meh! hehe

Oddly enough this never happens in my threads.

Wonder why that is

Probably because youre way cooler than me :/ They always want to pick on the little guy.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Gee thanks, OP. You will DEFINITELY change the internet with that little soapbox speech. :huh: Get over yourself.

You need to get off your high horse and get over yourself. You are very arrogant without proper justification.

tumblr_mp8cb8NRu21qzmowao1_400.gif
  • Junken__Diraffe
    Options
    You didn't need that apostrophe after OP in the title. The OP does not own anything, nor is it a contraction. It's just plural.

You're welcome. :flowerforyou:
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    You people are all so uptight...
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get angry with the level of disrespect floating around on these message boards. I see posts and people go about making snide and rude remarks about the original poster and I thinks its very immature. There is always a way to have an opinion and not be rude or "throw shade" on the person who started the thread. Internet bullying is real, and all those insecure people who want to attack OP's need to seriously be checked on their dirty behavior. Please be respectful to everyone, even if you disagree with them. Period. If you can't do that then you need help.

I agree that at times it can get quite childish around here...but no more childish than your post...

As far as you being angry...it is the world of the internet and it is filled with people of all types. To survive in this world...you have to accept that not all people will see it your way.

I generally try to kind...however...sometimes in my honesty...it doesn't come across that way.

There are also times when OPs are so nice...such as one thread where the OP ridiculed a complete strangers eating habits. Are we supposed to pat someone such as that on the back and say..."Way to go OP!"? I was honest with her with my thoughts on the subject. I won't lie just to make someone "feel good"...even if it is an OP.

Honestly...what good do you think that your post will do? Except to start another thread about those "mean people". Surely you can guess that it won't go well???

I don't know about people high-jacking someones thread...I have never started one...so I have never been the OP. Maybe I should so that I can experience those "mean people". Maybe tomorrow...it is a little late now.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Except, y'know, sometimes the OP's are WRONG (i.e. need correction). In that case it's good to correct the error and it can HELP them by giving them information. We have freedom of speech. We don't have to shut up if we disagree. Or the OP may be trolling. And yeah, it's immature to be a jerk. But it's also immature to troll. Goes both ways.

Lol it is fun to read.......... all fun and games until your own thread gets attacked...... and then its just like.......... hey hey I'm a nice person don't attack me rawr! meh! hehe

Wonder why that is

Probably because youre way cooler than me :/ They always want to pick on the little guy.

It's the mentality that people are being "picked on" that is the problem more than anything else.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Gee thanks, OP. You will DEFINITELY change the internet with that little soapbox speech. :huh: Get over yourself.

You need to get off your high horse and get over yourself. You are very arrogant without proper justification.

Well, that wasn't very nice, MissBear. But then, as he wasn't the OP, I suppose your comment was okay?

Invariably in these threads, the OP tends to become ruder than anyone else posting. Yet, they rarely see what they, themselves, are doing.
  • JassiBear
    Options
    I'm starting to get angry with the level of disrespect floating around on these message boards. I see posts and people go about making snide and rude remarks about the original poster and I thinks its very immature. There is always a way to have an opinion and not be rude or "throw shade" on the person who started the thread. Internet bullying is real, and all those insecure people who want to attack OP's need to seriously be checked on their dirty behavior. Please be respectful to everyone, even if you disagree with them. Period. If you can't do that then you need help.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" ~Eleanor Roosevelt.

While I'm a big fan of generally being a nice person, I'm a big fan of personal accountability, too. I've had my a*s handed to me on here - and I deserved it at the time. I have no problem doing the a*s handing when I feel it's needed. Generally, when threads get ugly it's because the OP gets offended and starts lashing out (in random and weird ways) and then things generally fall apart.

Mean comments are not internet bullying, by the way.

Also, if I'm not respectful to someone, it's generally because they've not earned it or have proven they don't deserve it. That doesn't mean I "need help" - it means they are experiencing a natural consequence to their actions.

No stranger "deserves" any type of respect, but if you have any decency or class as a human you would treat others like you want to be treated... to disrespect another just because you don't know them is the same philosophy of why people get attacked in real randomly. maybe its a far stretch but........ you can't just treat someone any type of way because they don't mean **** to you or are a stranger. WWJD.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    This post needs moar Moon Moon

Moon+Moon+_b0546c196dee1e1056fa84637b035476.jpg
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options

I've gotta wonder- what is the proper justification for arrogance? I mean, is there one?
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Did these OPs hire you to write this thread? Are you their spokesperson? You should sign your posts with your title. There's a lovely member named Joanne who can help you with this. Good luck OP. :flowerforyou:
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

While I'm a big fan of generally being a nice person, I'm a big fan of personal accountability, too. I've had my a*s handed to me on here - and I deserved it at the time. I have no problem doing the a*s handing when I feel it's needed. Generally, when threads get ugly it's because the OP gets offended and starts lashing out (in random and weird ways) and then things generally fall apart.

Also, if I'm not respectful to someone, it's generally because they've not earned it or have proven they don't deserve it. That doesn't mean I "need help" - it means they are experiencing a natural consequence to their actions.

No stranger "deserves" any type of respect, but if you have any decency or class as a human you would treat others like you want to be treated... to disrespect another just because you don't know them is the same philosophy of why people get attacked in real randomly. maybe its a far stretch but........ you can't just treat someone any type of way because they don't mean **** to you or are a stranger. WWJD.

I prefer to go with this...

Downton-Abbey-Dowager-Countess.png

So I thought about it, and this is what I think she'd say.

1398575312112.jpg
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Wonder why that is

Who are these little guys? I thought that we are all fairly well equal here.

Maybe that is the problem...people feel insecure about weight loss...and they let those with more experience take over.

I do what works for me...read what works for others...think about if it might be something that is better than what I am doing...if not...I just ignore it.

Ya gotta have tough skin to survive the internet.
  • starseed777
    starseed777 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Oh wait - this was sparked by the "Beautiful Stereotyping" thread, wasn't it?

I read the thread and admit that I found the whole thread VERY funny. As you aptly pointed out, the OP's post had the subtext of "feel sorry for me because of the unwanted attention that I get from the opposite sex". I didn't have the heart to respond to the thread. Some of the members were not so kind.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

I don't care what Jesus would do. I'm an atheist.

I can treat people however I like. It's a perk of being an adult. I, in turn, deal with any consequences of my behavior. That's how this life stuff works.

Luckily, I'm a really nice person - and I generally treat people with kindness.

I never said disrespect was okay - but that's my own personal standard (one I don't hold anyone but myself to). I said that one should not let it bother them - why waste energy on someone who obviously doesn't respect you?
  • JassiBear
    Options

Wonder why that is

Who are these little guys? I thought that we are all fairly well equal here.

Maybe that is the problem...people feel insecure about weight loss...and they let those with more experience take over.

I do what works for me...read what works for others...think about if it might be something that is better than what I am doing...if not...I just ignore it.

Ya gotta have tough skin to survive the internet.

Lol I need a damn lifevest
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Not being funny but the site is meant to be used by people over the age of 18. Therefore classed as "adults" who are supposedly able and equipped to deal with somebody having a difference of opinion from them.

Yeah this. I am consistently suprised by adults with a total inability to deal with criticism as anything but rudeness or harassment. Just because someone vocally disagrees with your opinion or your approach to something does not make them automatically rude. If you post on a public internet forum then you are putting your ideas out there for discussion. You have no entitlement to expect that all comments will be positive towards the ideas put forth in your posts.
  • trinacrick
    trinacrick Posts: 41
    Options
    Ignore them. It is a waste of energy to do anything but that. They are actually a very small percentage of this site. Just like anyone negative that you run across, it is attention driven. Be "nice" to others.....motivational, helpful, understanding.....all of those cool things and do not give them the time of day. Many do not know the difference between disagreeing and being disagreeable. There are a few on this site that lost weight and are now experts for everyone else and very close minded. I guess they forgot the trials of getting there or they are lying about their accomplishments. All I know is, it is the same ones over and over and they seem to have LOT of time on their hands.

Good luck on your journey!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Bets on whether OP will still be on MFP lecturing people 2weeks from now.
This discussion has been closed.