Childhood Obesity= CHILD ABUSE

Options

Replies

• sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    So my mom abused me by not preventing me from stuffing my face when I got depressed and not making me go outside to face my bullies to exercise. Okee dokie then. Inb4 the delete!

Here is a gif of a kitten.

tumblr_mj5tpejllY1qeqfyoo1_500.gif
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

And time. And energy.

Yep. Very minimal. Less than a single TV show. People just have to spend a little time on the health of their family.

Such a stunning and unusual sacrifice, I know.

Let me just quote the comment below yours:
    Now, on the other side of that, I work with you and in my line of work, most of my clients are on SNAP and TANF and have funds for foods. The problem comes in when mom has to work 3 jobs to make ends meet and it is much easier to throw a microwave dinner in to feed the kids versus plan meals and cook. Perhaps the problem isn't in access to foods, but within the society we live in. Until there is equality in wages and access to education and jobs, we are going to continually face this problem.

Exactly. Its EASIER to throw some crap in the microwave and then feed children crap.

This is NOT an excuse, however, its just noise. Do something BETTER instead of EASIER.

Yes. It would have taken a whole 15 minutes to chop up a potato, some carrots, a cheap piece of meat, and toss it all into a crockpot so theres a healthy, nutritious meal read for dinner that evening, like my mother used to before she took off working her 16 hour days my entire childhood.

I grew up in a poor, single parent household, and I was not fed crap. My mother cooked on the weekends so she could heat things up for us on demand. She couldn't give us everything we wanted, but she damn well made sure we had what we needed...and what we needed wasn't a boxed dinner that really isn't much faster and definitely wasn't cheaper than real food, and that was only going to destroy our health.

So you were not 238 pounds overweight when you left the nest?
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options

It is not a fallaciious argument. Yes, a non-parent may in fact know a lot about parenting either thru experience as daycare, nanny, sibling, babysitter or due to education and career. But, in most cases (not all), 21 year old single adults with no kids do NOT have a ton of life experience to draw on and my recolelction fo being in my early 20s was that I gained a lot of wisdom over that period of time but spent a lot of time thinking I knew everything when I was actually quite naive

If we had to wait on "life experience" to learn things, we'd not bother with education and all be morons until we turned 40.

It doesn't matter if your 21. If you don't know how to feed yourself or your kids...READ A BOOK AND LEARN!
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    So my mom abused me by not preventing me from stuffing my face when I got depressed and not making me go outside to face my bullies to exercise. Okee dokie then. Inb4 the delete!

Here is a gif of a kitten.

tumblr_mj5tpejllY1qeqfyoo1_500.gif

:love:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I work for juvenile court and closely with CSD. Let me tell you something....you don't know the first thing about child abuse.

And you don't think feeding a 5 year old so much food that they weight 140lbs is abuse?

Would you say that a 5 year old weighing 140lbs is on par with a 5 year old being traded back and forth between adults for sex?

Would you say that a 5 year old weighing 140 lbs is on par with a 5 year old being kept in a locked room and beaten and tortured?

Children and Youth services is overburdened as it is. The foster care system isn't filled with ideal parents.

People who want to take obese kids from otherwise loving homes are unbelievably naive.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I work for juvenile court and closely with CSD. Let me tell you something....you don't know the first thing about child abuse.

And you don't think feeding a 5 year old so much food that they weight 140lbs is abuse?

You are reaching with the 140lbs comment. What is the age and height of said child you are speaking of? My child is five and underweight for her age, yet tall and healthy. So as she is technically underweight, I must starve her correct? Which is legitimate abuse. You are reaching for a line in the sand as to at which weight it stops being irresponsible and is something more morbid. Would you like to see what child abuse looks like? I have a case load a mile long with stories it you'd like. Irresponsible parenting is a far cry from abuse.

It was in the original article. I still don't think it compares with extinguishing cigarettes on a child's arms for fun because you are high, but what do I know.
  • salemsaberhagen
    salemsaberhagen Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was a fat kid and completely agree with this. All arguments contrary to this topic/position can be dismissed with one phrase- who is the child and who is the parent in the situation. I won't dare do to my kids what my parents did to me. That being stated- I love obese cats and enjoy over feeding mine.
  • likitisplit
    Options

It is not a fallaciious argument. Yes, a non-parent may in fact know a lot about parenting either thru experience as daycare, nanny, sibling, babysitter or due to education and career. But, in most cases (not all), 21 year old single adults with no kids do NOT have a ton of life experience to draw on and my recolelction fo being in my early 20s was that I gained a lot of wisdom over that period of time but spent a lot of time thinking I knew everything when I was actually quite naive

If we had to wait on "life experience" to learn things, we'd not bother with education and all be morons until we turned 40.

It doesn't matter if your 21. If you don't know how to feed yourself or your kids...READ A BOOK AND LEARN!

There are other factors at play. You might want to take that advice about sitting down with a book.
  • amwbox
    Options

And time. And energy.

Yep. Very minimal. Less than a single TV show. People just have to spend a little time on the health of their family.

Now, on the other side of that, I work with you and in my line of work, most of my clients are on SNAP and TANF and have funds for foods. The problem comes in when mom has to work 3 jobs to make ends meet and it is much easier to throw a microwave dinner in to feed the kids versus plan meals and cook. Perhaps the problem isn't in access to foods, but within the society we live in. Until there is equality in wages and access to education and jobs, we are going to continually face this problem.

Exactly. Its EASIER to throw some crap in the microwave and then feed children crap.

This is NOT an excuse, however, its just noise. Do something BETTER instead of EASIER.

Yes. It would have taken a whole 15 minutes to chop up a potato, some carrots, a cheap piece of meat, and toss it all into a crockpot so theres a healthy, nutritious meal read for dinner that evening, like my mother used to before she took off working her 16 hour days my entire childhood.

I grew up in a poor, single parent household, and I was not fed crap. My mother cooked on the weekends so she could heat things up for us on demand. She couldn't give us everything we wanted, but she damn well made sure we had what we needed...and what we needed wasn't a boxed dinner that really isn't much faster and definitely wasn't cheaper than real food, and that was only going to destroy our health.

No. I certainly was not. I didn't start gaining weight until years after both college and military periods.

But, thanks for attacking me personally, rather than addressing the points. Way to be an adult, attacking someone's weight on MFP.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

I will respond and quote my own post from a few minutes ago
    I lied. I can't bite my tongue.

Does anyone have any idea what real abuse looks like? What social services actually has to see....what they have to witness every. single. day.

Children that are being raped and beaten. Neglected. Being told that they are worthless, ugly, stupid. The kids that are being exposed to drugs first hand, prostitution, domestic violence. Little ones that see things that most of us CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE.

Do I agree that all parents should do their best to teach their children about fitness and nutrition? Absolutely. But as another individual pointed out, often the parents that aren't doing this is NOT because they are being "abusive". Education, environment, culture...all play a part. And to insinuate that those parents deserve the same treatment as a parent that is raping or beating or insert any of the other things I mentioned above to their kid/s is just ignorance at it's finest.

ETA....If I knew how to use the bold feature, rest assured that IGNORANCE would be in bold.

This happened in the uk which means that they would have had help and eduction etc before the child got taken away. They didn't reduce her weight so it is abuse.

Starving your children is abuse so why is over feeding them to the point of morbid obesity not abuse?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

There is a vast difference between theory and application.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Yes yes, there are children in drug homes and being abused or seriously neglected. But lets focus on over weight children and add more to 'the system.'

SMH.
  • amwbox
    Options

Not really, no. Making a pot of bean soup is not rocket science.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I think we should start licensing pregnancy, so only the people who can afford children and who are physically fit can reproduce.
    I totally agree! Please don't forget the IQ test too. Good grounds for child rearing IMHO. Reasonably intelligent, capable of providing necessities and able to teach proper nutrition and physical fitness. People who breed with no consideration to their financial capabilities, physical/emotional and intellectual state need to stop. Every consecutive generation is getting dumber, fatter and unhealthier than the last, and yet people keep breeding..

What's really funny is that there is written evidence of people complaining about this at 1500 BC and yet, YOU are still smart and healthy.
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I think we should start licensing pregnancy, so only the people who can afford children and who are physically fit can reproduce.

I agree X100
  • likitisplit
    Options

And time. And energy.

No. I certainly was not. I didn't start gaining weight until years after both college and military periods.

But, thanks for attacking me personally, rather than addressing the points. Way to be an adult, attacking someone's weight on MFP.

But, you see, you are judging people who are struggling to raise children for not doing things that you were unable to do with a lot less responsibility.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options

I agree that people should learn as best they can. I still stand behind that the 21 y.o single parentless OP wants to cast a lot of stones without a full understanding of the subject. Which was the point of the poster's comment on her age and on mine. The OP does not appear to have a whole lot of child rearing experience and appears to judge based on snapshots in time rather than the full picture. Which of course, I am now judging her based on the snapshots she has provided me with her posts LOL
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

You are reaching with the 140lbs comment. What is the age and height of said child you are speaking of? My child is five and underweight for her age, yet tall and healthy. So as she is technically underweight, I must starve her correct? Which is legitimate abuse. You are reaching for a line in the sand as to at which weight it stops being irresponsible and is something more morbid. Would you like to see what child abuse looks like? I have a case load a mile long with stories it you'd like. Irresponsible parenting is a far cry from abuse.

I'm not reaching. This was an actually case in England.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-25299764
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

And time. And energy.

But it begs the question, if you remove children from homes if they are obese because it's abusive, shouldn't we institutionalize obese people for abusing themselves -- at least for 72 psyche evaluations -- like we would if they were showing other signs of self harm?
  • likitisplit
    Options

Not really, no. Making a pot of bean soup is not rocket science.

I'd LOVE to see you get my kids to eat bean soup.
This discussion has been closed.