Childhood Obesity= CHILD ABUSE

Options

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I disagree with you on this, but that's just me. I don't think someone should have their kid taken away and put into foster care just because they're fat.

I think it depends on how fat and what the parents are doing to help the child. It's a case by case decision not a blanket yes/no.

One child was recently taken away by social services in Wales and that seemed like a good decision as the patents had been given a lot of help but the child (11 / 15st) was not losing any weight and in fact getting bigger. He was seriously obese and the parents just kept making excuses.

Better that child get help now at that age than be allowed to continue down that path.

Oh GOD. I can only IMAGINE the body issues this child is going to have now.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. The good old MFP Bully excuse. Call something into question, it becomes an attack.

tumblr_mqxxzvFIPD1r8x1rao3_250.gif
  • DeltaZero
    Options

There is a vast difference between theory and application.

Not really, no. Making a pot of bean soup is not rocket science.

I'd LOVE to see you get my kids to eat bean soup.

lol. right?

OH> But someone on the internet, without kids, says its no big deal.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Getting a kid to eat that stuff is. What do you do then? Put a feeding tube in? Let them "not eat at all then" and then you are abusive for not feeding them enough? Until you have kids of your own don't talk to me about how to feed them.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    What's actually child abuse is raising your kids to be Red Sox fans.

Like a knife in the heart. Why? Why must you turn this ugly :sad:
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    this whole thing just feels like fuel to the fire for stigmatizing being overweight :/

I had a family member who was a compulsive eater in the true sense since he was a toddler. His parents had to put locks on the fridge and cabinets and it was humiliating.....

Yet he STILL always found sources of food and would shovel it in like he was a starving child.

My Aunt n Uncle did all these can to keep it under control when he was with them.

Not always the parents fault

And also "child abuse" is a bit harsh, if anything at most i think it may be a form of neglect in severe cases. Im old enough to know and come from an era where a majority of kids got the ever loving crap beat out of them by there parents and im not talking about spanking. If it made a viable switch, it was used.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options

But, you see, you are judging people who are struggling to raise children for not doing things that you were unable to do with a lot less responsibility.

No, in obvious point of fact I'm not. I'm judging people for failing their CHILDREN, as opposed to an individual with no dependents failing themselves.

Do you know what a tu quoque fallacy is? You should educated yourself on logical fallacies before debating. It helps.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Do you have the luxury of stay at home with your children? Yes, I know, you dabble with your non-profit, but if I remember correctly from its web page you either home school or hope to. I am not bringing that up to be a jerk, but that kind of thing is an opportunity that a lot of women don't have. Which is why you, of all the people here, should understand the reality that equal access is kind of a thing.

The 21 year old bit of my quote, which this person removed from its context was referring to the OP, not adult children.

You don't have a very high opinion of me, do you?

Yes, I stay home. I run a non-profit and a small business, and I home school my kids. I'm incredibly lucky to be in the situation I am - and we work hard to keep it that way. I fully believe that every woman deserves the choices that I have - and more.

I did not realize your quote was taken out of context. I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread. But apparently I've upset you somehow, so I'll apologize.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Seriously, I couldn't even get my threenager to eat a peanut butter sandwich yesterday (which she likes btw)... and I refuse to shovel food into my child's mouth...
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

lol. right?

I made my kids LASAGNE, with garlic toast and they chose to go hungry rather than eat it. I'm happy if the older one substitutes apple slices for whatever balance meal I've prepared for them.
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I dont' think a child should be removed from loving parents due to obesity. I do believe the parents should feel a personal responsibility to their children to make sure they are teaching healthy eating and exercise habits. I do not believe genetics are to blame for families being overweight, I believe larger people have large children because of their eating habits and the fact that they pass those eating habits down to their children usually.
    Children are usually a product of the parenting they receive, so it’s important to instill in them healthy habits so that they have the best chance possible to live a long, healthy life.
  • DeltaZero
    Options
    tumblr_mfoer9d8o31qagng8o1_400.gif
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I don't blame my parents at all for my weight gain.

I remember being in elementary school and finding money around the house that I would take to school and buy snack cakes with or ice cream bars without my parents' knowledge. Then, once I was old enough to get a job, I would buy and horde candy bars in my closet.

My mom would break her neck every night to get home and make us dinner. On the nights that she couldn't, she would pick up sandwiches from the deli or the occasional burger.

Does that SOUND like child abuse to you?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

It is not a fallaciious argument. Yes, a non-parent may in fact know a lot about parenting either thru experience as daycare, nanny, sibling, babysitter or due to education and career. But, in most cases (not all), 21 year old single adults with no kids do NOT have a ton of life experience to draw on and my recolelction fo being in my early 20s was that I gained a lot of wisdom over that period of time but spent a lot of time thinking I knew everything when I was actually quite naive

If we had to wait on "life experience" to learn things, we'd not bother with education and all be morons until we turned 40.

It doesn't matter if your 21. If you don't know how to feed yourself or your kids...READ A BOOK AND LEARN!

There are other factors at play. You might want to take that advice about sitting down with a book.

I definitely agree in other factors at play. My mom was a single parent. My dad died in a car accident that I was in the car also when I was 9. I have an older brother and sister. My mom hadn't worked in I don't know how many years, had to find a job, start supporting 3 kids, all dealing with trauma, she started to go back to school to get a better job to make sure we were taken care of. She worked full time, went to school as close to full time as possible to become a nurse, which is no cake walk. But it's good to know she should have just read a book and learned how to also fit in feeding us. Though it wasn't her fault I kept eating my emotions. Yes, she did get us into therapy which the therapists we were referred to were not good nor helpful (not saying they all are like that, because I know different). I'm sure that didn't help with the emotional eating part that I was doing.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Getting a kid to eat that stuff is. What do you do then? Put a feeding tube in? Let them "not eat at all then" and then you are abusive for not feeding them enough? Until you have kids of your own don't talk to me about how to feed them.

When my dad was alive it was "You eat what's in front of you or you don't". He was a marine. Let's just say, I wasn't a picky eater.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

But, you see, you are judging people who are struggling to raise children for not doing things that you were unable to do with a lot less responsibility.

No, in obvious point of fact I'm not. I'm judging people for failing their CHILDREN, as opposed to an individual with no dependents failing themselves.

Do you know what a tu quoque fallacy is? You should educated yourself on logical fallacies before debating. It helps.

The pompous arrogance you portray without actually having any real knowledge of the situation is absolutely astounding.
  • DeltaZero
    Options

lol. right?

I made my kids LASAGNE, with garlic toast and they chose to go hungry rather than eat it. I'm happy if the older one substitutes apple slices for whatever balance meal I've prepared for them.

Please send leftovers.

tumblr_mho5j8jm7z1qgsms3o1_500.gif
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a former fat kid, I would have totally eaten that bean soup.

Then I would have stolen money from my parents, told them I was going out to play with friends and gone to buy a shaorma... then come back home, tell them I'm exhausted and ask for a snack.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    9 1/2 is too early to go thru puberty.

Not sure how this judement is helpful in any way. It's not a statement of fact, because I was already menstruating at 9 years old and had clearly gone through puberty.

Edited to fix quotes.
This discussion has been closed.