Childhood Obesity= CHILD ABUSE

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

I made my kids LASAGNE, with garlic toast and they chose to go hungry rather than eat it. I'm happy if the older one substitutes apple slices for whatever balance meal I've prepared for them.

We went camping at a lake once and my daughter ate a whole carton of strawberries - a huge feat - she eats like three things, total. So we got home and I happily bought strawberries. She refused to eat them, claiming she only likes "lake strawberries".

It can be incredibly difficult to get your kids to eat stuff they've made up their minds about. They aren't little robots you get to program (unfortunately). I try hard to get mine to eat healthy, but some days I just don't have the fight in me and I'm thankful for nasty spaghetti o's and apple slices.

Exactly. One day my niece will be all about some healthy food, a week later she says she doesn't like them. Heck, later in the same day she'll tell you she doesn't like them.

Everyone used to be so impressed at how mine would eat broccoli, green beans, all manner of fruits (usually strawberries, melon, apples, grapes)... she would eat fruits and vegetables all the time... now... not so much... do I still keep getting her to eat a couple of bites... sure. Because their taste buds change all the time... do I have to bribe her sometimes with fruit snacks or an ice pop... yup... but as long as it's balanced, who the frak cares besides know it all busybodies...

BTW, my child is in the 50th percentile for weight... because she is a grazer... and sometimes that involves "snack foods"...
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/seventy-four-kids-taken-care-protection-3190690
    The heaviest two primary school pupils in England were both in the North West. One boy weighed 23st 2lb and a girl 22st 11lb.

But it's not abuse, the parents are confused/busy/it's the foods fault.

We're not talking a little over weight here 23st = 335lbs.

Primary school is under 11 years old btw. Yep, no abuse here.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Okay, now that we've identified parents as the culprits, let's find ways to help them.

What would you suggest, OP?
  • k8blujay2
    Options

When my dad was alive it was "You eat what's in front of you or you don't". He was a marine. Let's just say, I wasn't a picky eater.

Its interesting. Apparently its abusive to feed kids healthy food nowadays, since they'd rather eat crap. Of course they would! They're kids. Kids like crap. Fortunately, kids don't get to call the shots. At least I didn't. And I rather enjoyed the wholesome food I was raised on. Would I have rather had a cheeseburger? Sure. But...that was available so that's not what I ate.

Are you saying cheeseburgers aren't wholesome food? Well now I know you've lost it.

The weakness of your lack of argument shines through every personal attack.

A hamburger obviously CAN be, but since you seem unaware, the landslide majority of hamburger consumption comes from crappy fast food. Goes without saying that I'm not referring to the real deal. At least it should lol.

tumblr_mx25t0Epe51sjkv7go1_500.jpg

Clearly, we should all just listen to you since you have the answers to everything.

Book smart obviously trumps experience in this instance...
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    So let me ask this: over feeding your child is child abuse IF they become obese. Child abuse is a crime. How do you correct the issue? Remove the child? In my county we have children services workers each will case loads close to 200 families each. In order to combat the issue of child abuse and obesity, more workers will have to be hired or overtime will have to be paid. Increased funding. Foster homes (the nightmare that they are) also do not take in children for free. Increased funding. Child abuse is a crime. Arrest the offender. Increased jail population that is already bursting at the seams placing parents who may be simply mis-informed in with rapists, molesters, and murderers. Pull the children out of the home, increase in illegal drug use. They end up in drug court which is also increased funding.

Education may be the answer but just because we use DARE programs hasn't slowed down illegal drug use either. You can't mandate parents to attend education in nutrition and not have consequences for not doing so. That would be another waste of funding.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

When my dad was alive it was "You eat what's in front of you or you don't". He was a marine. Let's just say, I wasn't a picky eater.

Its interesting. Apparently its abusive to feed kids healthy food nowadays, since they'd rather eat crap. Of course they would! They're kids. Kids like crap. Fortunately, kids don't get to call the shots. At least I didn't. And I rather enjoyed the wholesome food I was raised on. Would I have rather had a cheeseburger? Sure. But...that was not available so that's not what I ate.

So how is it then that I have one child that loves all things healthy - her favorite snack is baby spinach (no lie). She doesn't like treats because they are "too sweet". She'd rather have a sandwich with fruit and sugar snap peas as a side than chips.

Then there is my other kid. She likes bread, rice and sausage. That's pretty much her entire menu.

I didn't raise my girls differently. They are, believe it or not, their own people with their own ideas and choices and preferences. I will NOT force my child to clean her plate. They have to take three bites of what is served - but forcing someone to eat food will create unhealthy views of food, IMO.

So you may think that it's a simple as "you will eat this" when you have kiddos - but really it's not. This whole raising humans stuff is the hardest thing I've ever done.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options

How many kids do you have exactly?

Irrelevant. And a fallacious non-argument.

I'll take that as 0 from you. I will assume the OP is the same...

who cares? This is not a complex concept. Cook decent food for your family and teach your children about portion sizes. Get them involved with sports, and have them play outside. Buy them a bike, basketball hoop, take them hiking, etc. Don't allow them to get into bad habits by eating hoho's and playing xbox and they won't be a bunch of fat *kitten*.
  • swalberg0625
    swalberg0625 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was a fat kid to a single parent of 3 kids. I don't blame my mother one bit. I dealt with a trauma by eating. She had been a stay at home mom and was doing everything she could to make sure we were taken care of.

I also don't agree that just because a kid is fat they should be put in foster care. There are enough kids in the system.

+1 There is much to say about the foster care systems, and not much good.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options

Clearly, we should all just listen to you since you have the answers to everything.

Not at all. All I ask is a logical rebuttal to an argument, as opposed to trollish personal attacks. Its a discussion forum, after all.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Getting a kid to eat that stuff is. What do you do then? Put a feeding tube in? Let them "not eat at all then" and then you are abusive for not feeding them enough? Until you have kids of your own don't talk to me about how to feed them.

No, it's actually not.. IF you started when they were BABIES. The problem comes when parents are not 'parenting' and they let the kids get away with not eating and throwing tantrums until they get something else. My cousins are ALL like this, my sister in law was like this and all her kids are like this.. Our child knows that if he doesn't eat what is put in front of him he does not get a special dinner made just for him. Unfortunately once you go down that path of letting them get away with poor behavior it becomes impossible to change.

This is the same silliness as parents who let their kids wear the same outfit every day because the kid won't wear anything else. Your job as a parent is to PARENT FIRST. If your children throw tantrums or whine, or cry or don't listen CONSTANTLY (because all kids do it occasionally)..You did it to yourself.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

I made my kids LASAGNE, with garlic toast and they chose to go hungry rather than eat it. I'm happy if the older one substitutes apple slices for whatever balance meal I've prepared for them.

We went camping at a lake once and my daughter ate a whole carton of strawberries - a huge feat - she eats like three things, total. So we got home and I happily bought strawberries. She refused to eat them, claiming she only likes "lake strawberries".

It can be incredibly difficult to get your kids to eat stuff they've made up their minds about. They aren't little robots you get to program (unfortunately). I try hard to get mine to eat healthy, but some days I just don't have the fight in me and I'm thankful for nasty spaghetti o's and apple slices.

Exactly. One day my niece will be all about some healthy food, a week later she says she doesn't like them. Heck, later in the same day she'll tell you she doesn't like them.

Everyone used to be so impressed at how mine would eat broccoli, green beans, all manner of fruits (usually strawberries, melon, apples, grapes)... she would eat fruits and vegetables all the time... now... not so much... do I still keep getting her to eat a couple of bites... sure. Because their taste buds change all the time... do I have to bribe her sometimes with fruit snacks or an ice pop... yup... but as long as it's balanced, who the frak cares besides know it all busybodies...

BTW, my child is in the 50th percentile for weight... because she is a grazer... and sometimes that involves "snack foods"...

Oh my niece is actually a really amazing eater. She's even vegetarian. She loves fruits and vegetables, but not all kids are like that at all. She even has her moments. I'll also say my brother somewhat does what our dad did with her, pretty much, that's what you're getting. However, his cooking is amazing, so I have no doubts she wouldn't eat it all.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    tumblr_n5pod91v3J1qfd2m1o1_500.gif

You wanna talk weak arguments?

You're a non-parent, telling other parents how easy it is to make their kids eat healthy food, when you clearly have a problem doing it just for yourself, much less anyone else, much less a child.

You may not like that it's personal. But I don't like people with no idea what they're talking about lecturing others.

Stands to be repeated.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

A hamburger obviously CAN be, but since you seem unaware, the landslide majority of hamburger consumption comes from crappy fast food. Goes without saying that I'm not referring to the real deal. At least it should lol.

You wanna talk weak arguments?

You're a non-parent, telling other parents how easy it is to make their kids eat healthy food, when you clearly have a problem doing it just for yourself, much less anyone else, much less a child.

You may not like that it's personal. But I don't like people with no idea what they're talking about lecturing others.

There are not enough "boom"s for this post.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

There is a vast difference between theory and application.

Not really, no. Making a pot of bean soup is not rocket science.

Getting a kid to eat that stuff is. What do you do then? Put a feeding tube in? Let them "not eat at all then" and then you are abusive for not feeding them enough? Until you have kids of your own don't talk to me about how to feed them.

My child is two - he gets his supper on the table in front of him (what we are eating). If he refuses to eat it then there is nothing else for the rest of the night. If he eats half of it, I will usually let him have the apple or blueberries he is begging for (because that is always his go to), and if he eats all of it we sometimes have a snack later. If he asks - and, generally he doesn't. We let his grandmother bring him munchkins on the weekend and when he asks for donuts after his 5 munchkins are gone (usuallky by Tuesday) we tell him the donuts are all gone.

People think it "isn't rocket science", but, I gotta tell you, sometimes I think it must be. I am a college educated woman, with a revised outlook on healthy after losing hundreds of pounds myself, and I swore my child would never suffer fronm obesity like I did --- BUT, having said that, I had never tried to feed a toddler when I set my idealized plans for how I was going to be parent of the year.

We really subscribe to the eat what you're given rule in our house. If he chooses to be picky - he goes to bed hungry. I tell you what -- my kiddo won't starve. He's too smart for that! :drinker:
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options

Yep. My oldest has texture issues. He literally gags on foods. Not making it upp- I can see the tears in his eyes. He ahs since 1.5. before 15 months, he would eat every flavor imaginable of baby food - no matter how heinous. It was like a switch went off around then- he would no longer touch baby foods but there were only about 5 solid foods he would eat. Getting him to try new foods is still a fight and he often is repulsed by things I guess he will like based on his other likes. I literally rejoiced when he started eating chicken nuggets and french fries. I partied when he decided to like hot dogs and pizza. I cried when he quit liking sweet potatos, mashed potatos, and mac and cheese. Now, he will finally eatt crunchy bread, hamburger rolls, hamburgers and some grilled chicken. But, I'm sure he'll drop something soon just like lasagna, meatloaf, and ketchup :P
    In the meantime, I limit treats, try to get protein, milk, and the couple vegs and fruits he will eat into him, and try to make sure I neither demonize food nor force him to clean his plate. Right now, he eats when he's hungry and quits when he is full- I don't want that to change
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Its interesting. Apparently its abusive to feed kids healthy food nowadays, since they'd rather eat crap. Of course they would! They're kids. Kids like crap. Fortunately, kids don't get to call the shots. At least I didn't. And I rather enjoyed the wholesome food I was raised on. Would I have rather had a cheeseburger? Sure. But...that was available so that's not what I ate.

Are you saying cheeseburgers aren't wholesome food? Well now I know you've lost it.

I haven't attacked you personally once.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

There is a vast difference between theory and application.

Not really, no. Making a pot of bean soup is not rocket science.

My child is two - he gets his supper on the table in front of him (what we are eating). If he refuses to eat it then there is nothing else for the rest of the night. If he eats half of it, I will usually let him have the apple or blueberries he is begging for (because that is always his go to), and if he eats all of it we sometimes have a snack later. If he asks - and, generally he doesn't. We let his grandmother bring him munchkins on the weekend and when he asks for donuts after his 5 munchkins are gone (usuallky by Tuesday) we tell him the donuts are all gone.

People think it "isn't rocket science", but, I gotta tell you, sometimes I think it must be. I am a college educated woman, with a revised outlook on healthy after losing hundreds of pounds myself, and I swore my child would never suffer fronm obesity like I did --- BUT, having said that, I had never tried to feed a toddler when I set my idealized plans for how I was going to be parent of the year.

We really subscribe to the eat what you're given rule in our house. If he chooses to be picky - he goes to bed hungry. I tell you what -- my kiddo won't starve. He's too smart for that! :drinker:

My kids won't sleep through the night if they go to bed hungry and I need to be alert at work. We usually break down and go for the apples and blueberries at 8 pm.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

No, it's actually not.. IF you started when they were BABIES. The problem comes when parents are not 'parenting' and they let the kids get away with not eating and throwing tantrums until they get something else. My cousins are ALL like this, my sister in law was like this and all her kids are like this.. Our child knows that if he doesn't eat what is put in front of him he does not get a special dinner made just for him. Unfortunately once you go down that path of letting them get away with poor behavior it becomes impossible to change.

This is the same silliness as parents who let their kids wear the same outfit every day because the kid won't wear anything else. Your job as a parent is to PARENT FIRST. If your children throw tantrums or whine, or cry or don't listen CONSTANTLY (because all kids do it occasionally)..You did it to yourself.

When I was weaning my child we started out with vegetables first... and then fruit... and like I stated before she would eat a lot of them... until she turned this magical age of THREE... she does not get a special dinner... never has never will (I don't do it for me, my husband or my child... do I need to use the "ain't nobody got time for that" img again)... she still won't eat whats on her plate. She still prefers snacks (and of course she doesn't get them in lieu of meals) and bread and rice.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

I haven't attacked you personally once.

It's because your opinions will not match his. Thus you are an uneducated internet bully. Just out to troll him and his expert advice he is trying to provide all of the parents in here. From his years of being a non-parent.
This discussion has been closed.