Going Paleo

Options
Okay, so I've been researching the Paleo diet for a few days now and I can't help but notice the huge amount of stress they put on the words "GRASS FED BEEF" and "FREE RANGE EGGS". I understand that organic foods are best for you, but I feel like I have no access to organic foods where I live.

The idea is to get away from processed foods, so surely if I decided to go Paleo (organic or not), it will be better for me anyway, right?

Replies

• tequilastuntman
    tequilastuntman Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yep, I try to just go as organic and healthy as possible (!), many fitness gurus will go way overboard with their dieting advice...

We're living in the 21st century and some of the food that came along since the stoneage isn't that bad after all.
  • saila718
    saila718 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi there

I have been doing Paleo / Primal for the past 3 years. I lost 23kgs (50.6 pounds) over a 6 month period. I exercise regularly, but not heavy. Read Marks Sisson's The Daily Apple for a comprehensive, sensible guide to the switch over. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

I am female, 52yo and stronger, healthier and happier than ever.

It is difficult to adhere to the 'cult' like movements with some of these eating plans. Do the best with what you can get. Free range eggs, chicken, beef etc. If unobtainable, buy the best quality you can get.

Drop all grains, legumes, sugar and dairy. If you can. Mark says 80/20 is better than SAD!

Careful of alcohol. I love single malt whiskies and thought a tot or two a night won't matter. That is the ONLY time I gained back some of my weight, about 3kgs.

Give it a go - you can thank me later..;-D
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I've been researching the Paleo diet for a few days now and I can't help but notice the huge amount of stress they put on the words "GRASS FED BEEF" and "FREE RANGE EGGS". I understand that organic foods are best for you, but I feel like I have no access to organic foods where I live.

The idea is to get away from processed foods, so surely if I decided to go Paleo (organic or not), it will be better for me anyway, right?

Paleo is no healthier than regular intake. You still need to count calories to lose weight contrary to "popular" belief.

There is actually no proof that organic is "healthier" either.

If you want to go Paleo because you believe in the ideology that's one thing but if it's for weight loss there are easier ways. Such as eating what you eat now just in small portions.
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options

Paleo is no healthier than regular intake. You still need to count calories to lose weight contrary to "popular" belief.

If you want to go Paleo because you believe in the ideology that's one thing but if it's for weight loss there are easier ways. Such as eating what you eat now just in small portions.

^What she said.
  • saila718
    Options

^What she said.

[/quote]

Paleo / Primal DOES work - it's not a fad diet to lose weight quickly. It is a life-style change and you will have to stick with it. Smaller portions don't work for everyone and they tend to fall off the wagon. With Paleo / Primal I regularly went over the 'daily calorie intake'. I ate until I was satisfied. I counted no calories, only carbs. When you reach your ideal weight, then perhaps some reassessment is necessary.
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options

^What she said.

Paleo / Primal DOES work - it's not a fad diet to lose weight quickly. It is a life-style change and you will have to stick with it. Smaller portions don't work for everyone and they tend to fall off the wagon. With Paleo / Primal I regularly went over the 'daily calorie intake'. I ate until I was satisfied. I counted no calories, only carbs. When you reach your ideal weight, then perhaps some reassessment is necessary.

She didn't say it doesn't work. She simply said it still requires a calorie deficit and restrictive diets tend not to be sustainable. Both of which are true.
  • saila718
    Options
    How more restrictive can you be if you need to always count calories? If you are familiar with the Paleo concept, you will know that calorie restriction is not part of it. You actually do not overeat because you are just not hungry, once your body becomes fat adapted.

I was giving my personal opinion and positive feedback to the original question about something that worked for me - Paleo / Primal. He was specifically asking about Paleo. I am sure he tried other avenues.

Perhaps people need to familiarise themselves more with the principles of a new way of thinking instead just shooting it down and possibly derailing and demotivating someone else's weight loss journey.

If small portions and calorie counting work for others, that's great. Each to his or her own. Whatever get you the results.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    How more restrictive can you be if you need to always count calories? If you are familiar with the Paleo concept, you will know that calorie restriction is not part of it. You actually do not overeat because you are just not hungry, once your body becomes fat adapted.

I was giving my personal opinion and positive feedback to the original question about something that worked for me - Paleo / Primal. He was specifically asking about Paleo. I am sure he tried other avenues.

Perhaps people need to familiarise themselves more with the principles of a new way of thinking instead just shooting it down and possibly derailing and demotivating someone else's weight loss journey.

If small portions and calorie counting work for others, that's great. Each to his or her own. Whatever get you the results.

I am quite familiar with Paleo/Primal actually. Restrictive is eliminating foods and/or food groups. Calorie counting is not "restrictive" in that sense.

And yes Paleo advocates just eat the food and you will be fine but science says overeat on any food and you will gain weight.

You can overeat on paleo actually it's very easy...you may not have been hungry but that doesn't apply to everyone.

How can you be sure he has tried other avenues such as weighing solids, measuring liquids logging accurately etc...are you his IRL friend?

I gave my personal opinion as well based on knowledge of paleo/primal...I too was giving my personal opinion...am I not allowed to do that? Or is it just people who follow that particular "diet"?

And who said anything about small portions? Look at my diary does it look like I eat "small"...I don't think so.

Paleo in truth doesn't even have a strict definition...almond flour? really? that's processed? grain fed beef? how so....more along the lines of wild game such as deer and moose meat would be more appropriate but you can't do that as it is almost impossible to buy in a store...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It is extremely easy to over-eat and gain weight on "paleo".

Extremely.

The various "paleo/primal" forums are littered with the posts of people who ate as much as they wanted to and are surprised(!) that they've gained weight.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

You regularly went over your daily calorie intake and still lost weight? Could you provide us with a food diary showing the foods you ate, weighed and measured of course, and corresponding data from that same period tracking your weight and measurements?
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Yeah! We got it!

Carry on!
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Why is organic "healthier"?
  • Escloflowne
    Options
    Why is organic "healthier"?

Because people don't science.

I don't get people who subscribe to this stuff, they treat the animals the same, feed them the same and they live in close quarters but don't give them medicine, sounds less healthy to me!
  • w734q672
    w734q672 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Clearly, if there's still a discussion, then I don't think you guys got it lol But to add something of value, correlation does not imply causation. Just because you smoke marijuana does not imply you drink alcohol, nor does following a 'Paleo diet' imply fat loss. Everybody's body is different, and what may work for one person may not work for another person :)
  • Escloflowne
    Options

Yeah! We got it!

Carry on!

Clearly, if there's still a discussion, then I don't think you guys got it lol But to add something of value, correlation does not imply causation. Just because you smoke marijuana does not imply you drink alcohol, nor does following a 'Paleo diet' imply fat loss. Everybody's body is different, and what may work for one person may not work for another person :)

You are "all wrong", it's science, what works for me will work for another human unless they have a medical issue. It's very basic stuff, most of the time the people who say "it doesn't work for me" are just doing it wrong, don't blame the system, it's user error...
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    paleo_zpsf1eb4cf9.jpg[/url]
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    paleo2_zps1ef5aaef.jpg[/url]

Sorry I just find paleo funny. Eliminating carbs (essentially what it is) is just another way to restrict calories for the most part. Moderate diet works and is not near as difficult.