Going Paleo

Options

Replies

• maplehouse200
    maplehouse200 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I have been doing Paleo / Primal for the past 3 years. I lost 23kgs (50.6 pounds) over a 6 month period. I exercise regularly, but not heavy. Read Marks Sisson's The Daily Apple for a comprehensive, sensible guide to the switch over. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

I am female, 52yo and stronger, healthier and happier than ever.

It is difficult to adhere to the 'cult' like movements with some of these eating plans. Do the best with what you can get. Free range eggs, chicken, beef etc. If unobtainable, buy the best quality you can get.

Drop all grains, legumes, sugar and dairy. If you can. Mark says 80/20 is better than SAD!

Careful of alcohol. I love single malt whiskies and thought a tot or two a night won't matter. That is the ONLY time I gained back some of my weight, about 3kgs.

Give it a go - you can thank me later..;-D
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've tried "counting calories" and "portion control" before but I always seemed to lose sight of my goal. Working a full time job on night shift, it can be a little rough to eat healthy unless you prepare beforehand. My previous plan was simply to eat things with a relatively small ingredients list. It worked for a while, but I plateaued.

Thank you all for the advice and criticism (constructive and non-constructive).

If your having issues planning and preparing food in advance then you are going to have a rough time with Paleo. Paleo options do not exist at the local takeouts and you will find yourself preparing food in advance to stick with it. I'm not trying to criticize here but I found Paleo time consuming and the boredom factor of what you are eating kicks in pretty quickly. All the best. I hope it works out for you.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I've tried "counting calories" and "portion control" before but I always seemed to lose sight of my goal. Working a full time job on night shift, it can be a little rough to eat healthy unless you prepare beforehand. My previous plan was simply to eat things with a relatively small ingredients list. It worked for a while, but I plateaued.

If your having issues planning and preparing food in advance then you are going to have a rough time with Paleo. Paleo options do not exist at the local takeouts and you will find yourself preparing food in advance to stick with it. I'm not trying to criticize here but I found Paleo time consuming and the boredom factor of what you are eating kicks in pretty quickly. All the best. I hope it works out for you.

^This. Paleo does take a whole lot of prep work. You really have to have an arsenal of food you can bring with you wherever you go. I haven't been serious in my other posts on this thread, but I am here. I have friends that do Paleo and they have map out all their meals and snacks.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Why is organic "healthier"?

Because people don't science.

QFT

There isn't even a prevailing definition of "organic," so how can it be "healthier?" Our bodies don't care if the beef was finished on grass or on grain and, frankly, grass-fed beef is often tougher and less tasty than grain-finished beef. I'd also wonder about the cleanliness of the conditions under which those "cage-free" eggs were gathered . . . If paleo is helpful to you losing weight and you can restrict yourself that way, then have at it. (I know someone who lasted a week on it because it was too difficult and expensive for her to sustain.) But I'd honestly stay away from anything that restricts your food groups and then further restricts what you can eat by restricting the origin of the remaining foods. YMMV
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I don't care either way but.....

I ate some pink beans last night and I logged it. Imagine my shock that it read 90 for Carbs and 26 for Sugars.

I mean, I KNOW beans are high in carbs as well as protein, but I'm seriously debating it now. I don't avoid carbs but I do over eat them.

I guess like anything else, beans have to be eaten in moderation too. I don't eat them every night however. Maybe like once a week.

I agree that Paleo is a bit of a fad, albeit a very basic way of eating, which may be something to look at. Food is fuel after all and it's not meant to be used as a stimulus. But, to try to tell folks to remember that food is supposed to fuel us and not make us happy is like trying to unring a bell. Shoot, I had a raisin bagel this morning because it was there, not because I was actually hungry. Bad habits.

As for the organic, I like the idea, but it goes back to basic logic. It's big business and shortcuts are usually taken. Yeah, they may be mandated by the FDA to maintain certain standards but like anything else, it can be overlooked. Just cuz they slap a sticker on something doesn't mean it's really what it is. So, we have to hope we get what we pay for. (but that's the conspiracy theorist in me talking)
  • PRMinx
    Options
    In for the morning giggles.

And because I've never seen a thread like this before.

I love trolling paleo people. It's like a hobby

Oh, I'm sorry.

Real hobbies are good, too.

You clearly need to troll Cross-fit and Paleo people, because it's as real as a 'Paleo Diet'

Yeah. Totally. I hate CrossFit.

Being that you have a picture possibly in a Cross-Fit gym, I would definitely see that as a possibility. If you're looking for more laughs, takes some pointers from these Crossfitters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8up6A4QesU

Jennifer-Lawrence-Shake-My-Head-Of-Sadness-Gif.gif
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

Oh, I'm sorry.

You clearly need to troll Cross-fit and Paleo people, because it's as real as a 'Paleo Diet'

Being that you have a picture possibly in a Cross-Fit gym, I would definitely see that as a possibility. If you're looking for more laughs, takes some pointers from these Crossfitters

BTW this is the most retarded thing I've ever seen:

nt-doing-crossfit-did-not-read-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-73.gif

I don't know if it's REALLY heavy, but it's just stupid. This needs to be put into the category of extreme sports where you can really hurt yourself if you try it.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Never tried Paleo. Don't get it because it seems everyone has their own version.

But I am in!! HHD, Peeps :drinker:
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Paleo was voted worst diet of 2014.

I tend to be skeptical of any diet that eliminated an entire food group.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Oh, I'm sorry.

BTW this is the most retarded thing I've ever seen:

I don't know if it's REALLY heavy, but it's just stupid. This needs to be put into the category of extreme sports where you can really hurt yourself if you try it.

This would never happen at most CrossFit boxes. Like anything in life, there are stupid people who participate.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Wow! that is hilarious and so wrong.

It is and that box should be shut down.
  • w734q672
    w734q672 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Please, getting a license to own and operate a cross fit gym is lax and that is why you get these hilarious videos
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Oh, I'm sorry.

BTW this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen:

FIFY
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Please, getting a license to own and operate a cross fit gym is lax and that is why you get these hilarious videos

You can find hilarious videos of idiots screwing around with any sport. It's not representative of the whole.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Please, getting a sign on to post on interweb forums is lax, and why we get hilarious posts!
  • armorflamemusicman
    armorflamemusicman Posts: 12 Member
    Options

You're absolutely right about the planning part. I was going to try to cook in large quantities, but I am conscious of the idea that I could run out of variety, which is part of why my last attempt didn't work out so well. There's only so many whole wheat tuna sandwiches a man can eat.
  • PRMinx
    Options

You can find hilarious videos of idiots screwing around with any sport. It's not representative of the whole.

Here's another funny Crossfit video, and I looked it up just for you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnjYyfkcaNI

Well, at least you've learned how to use quotes. Moving on up in the world, I see.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    OP, this is what happens when people DARE to eat low-carb in any form on here. You get ridiculed and heavily criticized and told your idea is a "fad diet". You're better off joining one of the paleo groups or one of the low-carb groups.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I sent a friend request. You can have access to my diary. I eat 2100 calories a day and am losing right now. I do eat about 130-140g protein a day (fat is at 60g) the rest is carbs. Maybe a more moderate approach but more flexibility when i need it. Accept or reject but i thought i would help by giving you a window into what is working for me (which may or may not work for you.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    OP, this is what happens when people DARE to eat low-carb in any form on here. You get ridiculed and heavily criticized and told your idea is a "fad diet". You're better off joining one of the paleo groups or one of the low-carb groups.

Low carb and paleo are two entirely different concepts though. People criticize diets that demonize certain foods without any scientific justification. If it works for you, that's great. But, you can lose weight without cutting out carbs if you want to. It's a matter of personal preference.