Going Paleo

Options

Replies

• leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I have been doing Paleo / Primal for the past 3 years. I lost 23kgs (50.6 pounds) over a 6 month period. I exercise regularly, but not heavy. Read Marks Sisson's The Daily Apple for a comprehensive, sensible guide to the switch over. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

I am female, 52yo and stronger, healthier and happier than ever.

It is difficult to adhere to the 'cult' like movements with some of these eating plans. Do the best with what you can get. Free range eggs, chicken, beef etc. If unobtainable, buy the best quality you can get.

Drop all grains, legumes, sugar and dairy. If you can. Mark says 80/20 is better than SAD!

Careful of alcohol. I love single malt whiskies and thought a tot or two a night won't matter. That is the ONLY time I gained back some of my weight, about 3kgs.

Give it a go - you can thank me later..;-D

I was just wondering why you have to cut out legumes?

From a paleo site "Like grains and pseudograins, legumes contain phytic acid. Phytic acid binds to nutrients in the food, preventing you from absorbing them. It doesn’t steal any nutrients that are already in your body, but it does make that bowl of lentils a lot less nutrient-dense than the Nutrition Facts panel would have you believe. "

Who knew food was stealing nutrients from other food? It turns out food really does have a dark side.

I see a biased opinion in the bolded.

I thought my sarcasm was obvious......
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I have been doing Paleo / Primal for the past 3 years. I lost 23kgs (50.6 pounds) over a 6 month period. I exercise regularly, but not heavy. Read Marks Sisson's The Daily Apple for a comprehensive, sensible guide to the switch over. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

It is difficult to adhere to the 'cult' like movements with some of these eating plans. Do the best with what you can get. Free range eggs, chicken, beef etc. If unobtainable, buy the best quality you can get.

Drop all grains, legumes, sugar and dairy. If you can. Mark says 80/20 is better than SAD!

Careful of alcohol. I love single malt whiskies and thought a tot or two a night won't matter. That is the ONLY time I gained back some of my weight, about 3kgs.

From a paleo site "Like grains and pseudograins, legumes contain phytic acid. Phytic acid binds to nutrients in the food, preventing you from absorbing them. It doesn’t steal any nutrients that are already in your body, but it does make that bowl of lentils a lot less nutrient-dense than the Nutrition Facts panel would have you believe. "

Who knew food was stealing nutrients from other food? It turns out food really does have a dark side.

I see a biased opinion in the bolded.

I thought my sarcasm was obvious......

It was....I'm just really bored at work today
  • leodru
    Options
    [/quote]
    It was....I'm just really bored at work today
    [/quote]
    That makes 2 of us.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Hi there

Don't all vegetables contain phytic acid?
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    OP, this is what happens when people DARE to eat low-carb in any form on here.

"Paelo" isn't low carb.

I'm pretty sure it's a form of low carb, but you also don't eat dairy. At least that's what I read when I looked it up. Unless I'm mistaken, but I also don't eat that way so it's possible I am mistaken.

Paleo can be low carb but allows for rice, sweet potatoes, and a variety of higher carb fruits and vegetables.
    The last time I looked on the daily apple website, I think I read that white potatoes are now ok.

Many people following Paleo also adhere to the 80/20 guideline so you could include all sorts of grains and high sugar/carb foods into the 20%.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Mark Sissons thoughts on legumes has changed recently, he still recommends limiting them, but no longer advocates avoiding them all together.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

"Paelo" isn't low carb.

It can be if you want it to - so can IIFYM.:smile:
  • leodru
    Options
    The phytic acid thing seems to be a bit of a rats nest for Paleo - Peanuts are out but Walnuts are in but they contain the same phytic acid levels. Buy phytic acid levels are the reason for eliminating legumes. One question just opens another - i think its basically either accept or move on. It has too many questions of "good" versus "bad" food for me. I guess cavemen knew they couldn't eat peanuts and potatoes but could eat walnuts - they must have had the paleo app in their smart phones.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Why is organic "healthier"?

Because they don't use chemicals such as pesticides.
  • asdowe13
    Options

"Paelo" isn't low carb.

I'm pretty sure it's a form of low carb, but you also don't eat dairy. At least that's what I read when I looked it up. Unless I'm mistaken, but I also don't eat that way so it's possible I am mistaken.

Paleo can be low carb but allows for rice, sweet potatoes, and a variety of higher carb fruits and vegetables.
    The last time I looked on the daily apple website, I think I read that white potatoes are now ok.

Many people following Paleo also adhere to the 80/20 guideline so you could include all sorts of grains and high sugar/carb foods into the 20%.

Then you aren't following the Paleo lifestyle.
    That's like saying I eat vegan 80% of the time, but 20 % of the time I eat meat.

Defeats the purpose of calling yourself Paleo.
  • asdowe13
    Options
    Why is organic "healthier"?

Because they don't use chemicals such as pesticides.

Can you provide science that proves the pesticides make it unhealthy?
  • asdowe13
    Options
    Mark Sissons thoughts on legumes has changed recently, he still recommends limiting them, but no longer advocates avoiding them all together.

Ah yes the ever changing Paleo diet/lifestyle.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Okay, so I've been researching the Paleo diet for a few days now and I can't help but notice the huge amount of stress they put on the words "GRASS FED BEEF" and "FREE RANGE EGGS". I understand that organic foods are best for you, but I feel like I have no access to organic foods where I live.

The idea is to get away from processed foods, so surely if I decided to go Paleo (organic or not), it will be better for me anyway, right?

Paleo is no healthier than regular intake. You still need to count calories to lose weight contrary to "popular" belief.

There is actually no proof that organic is "healthier" either.

If you want to go Paleo because you believe in the ideology that's one thing but if it's for weight loss there are easier ways. Such as eating what you eat now just in small portions.

I can't speak for strict paleo diets, but primal is not just about weight loss, the ideology behind it is to be as health as you can be and to get yourself to YOUR idea body composition.

If you don't eat the suggested foods you don't lose your primal card - everything about it is a suggestion. If you want to eat junk you can - it just educates you on what you are eating and the benefits or lack of benefits from doing so.

It's your diet so it's your choice.

It highlights the importance of what food you should include, the benefits of ample sleep and also the importance of exercise (also the importance of not over exercising - chronic cardio).

Everything about it is geared towards optimal health.
  • criticaltodd
    Options
    Is that a bad thing? I would hope that someone's views would evolve as their understanding increases. To my mind, it would be much worse if he just refused to consider amending his ideas in the face of convincing opposing evidence.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Better to be open to changing your direction when research and studies indicate you should - we're not politicians.

In fact mark sissons ability to challenge his own beliefs is what I like about the diet.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

"Paelo" isn't low carb.

Then you aren't following the Paleo lifestyle.
    That's like saying I eat vegan 80% of the time, but 20 % of the time I eat meat.

Defeats the purpose of calling yourself Paleo.

I'm not sure the 80/20 rule is part of strict paleo diets. It is certainly part of the primal diet.

And as such if you follow primal and adhere to a 80/20 rule then you're following the diet!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I'm going on the Paella diet. Sounds like fun!
  • KerryITD
    KerryITD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I haven't read every post in this thread, but to answer the OP's original question--pastured or free range is best for 2 reasons: it's better for us and better for the animals.
    1) Animals allowed to walk around and eat grass have a healthier body composition than those in feed lots, which makes their meat and eggs healthier for us. For instance, hens that are pastured lay eggs with 1/3 less cholesterol, more Omega 3s, more vit E, etc.
    2) It's a more humane way to raise animals.
  • bloomsnadversiTE
    Options
    Great website - thanks! I am 48 and starting my "Here Comes 50!" campaign. I have been gently following a paleo diet for a year or so. This will help me hone in on how to actually do it.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I haven't read every post in this thread, but to answer the OP's original question--pastured or free range is best for 2 reasons: it's better for us and better for the animals.
    1) Animals allowed to walk around and eat grass have a healthier body composition than those in feed lots, which makes their meat and eggs healthier for us. For instance, hens that are pastured lay eggs with 1/3 less cholesterol, more Omega 3s, more vit E, etc.
    2) It's a more humane way to raise animals.

My understanding of eating grass feed beef is to do with the quality of essential fatty acids in the fat from the animal. The protein structure from grass fed beef and grain fed is identical. I believe the omega 3 - 6 ratio is more preferable in grass fed.

However grass fed is recommended, but is not essential.