Going Paleo

Options

Replies

• w734q672
    w734q672 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    ^ BrettPGH_ **** yea

^Escloflowne- Giving me a good laugh bro, much thanks. I think that anybody with a exercise science degree would giggle at your comment. A good example of what I'm talking about is the amount of calories displayed while on a treadmill. The calorie displayed typically does not vary from person to person in the same time frame and elevation regardless of that person's unique metabolism rate, height, weight, amount of Muscle vs. Fat, male or female, etc. Does it mean it's accurate? Absolutely not because everybody body is different.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I eat primarily paleo, we can't afford to eat all organic or to buy grassfed meat. We buy the best quality that we can and don't sweat it when we can't afford the expense. I have still been very succesful with this lifestyle.

I did the typical MFP caolrie counting for 3+ years and was lucky to lose 1 pound a month, even at a calorie deficit. It just wasn't working and my career was on the line. In a last ditch effort I decided to try this way of eating. While maintaining the same intake (using hte same scale and measuring devices) I was able to lose 10 pounds in one month and 30 pounds in three months. I lost 10 inches from my waist from August until February. I am not one of those people that can say "all that matters is calories in/calories out". It does work for the majority of people, but if it isn't working, then something needs to change.

Eating this way, and staying away from some of the easier to over do it options...like a lot of nuts, I can eat more than MFP says I need and still lose weight. If I over consume calories from begetable, fruit and meat sources I don't gain, I just maintain. The thing is though I don't eat all I want of things like nuts or other calroie dense foods that don't provide as much bang for their buck. I prefer to fill half...or more of my plate with veggies and then some starch, like potatoes or squash, then 1/4 or so with my meat portion. It is very hard to over eat when you get enough veggies in your diet.

This way of life has been easier for me to maintain is has been sustainable for almost 5 years. I like not NEEDING to count calories. I track my food more to see where my macros are and to make sure I am getting enough of specific micro nutrients, not as a way to count calories.

To the OP there are some paleo/primal forums here on MFP, come join us!
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    ^ BrettPGH_ **** yea

^Escloflowne- Giving me a good laugh bro, much thanks. I think that anybody with a exercise science degree would giggle at your comment. A good example of what I'm talking about is the amount of calories displayed while on a treadmill. The calorie displayed typically does not vary from person to person in the same time frame and elevation regardless of that person's unique metabolism rate, height, weight, amount of Muscle vs. Fat, male or female, etc. Does it mean it's accurate? Absolutely not because everybody body is different.

It's not accurate because you're just putting in your age and weight...The machine doesn't know your BF% or any other information. It's taking an estimate...wow....Anyway I won't be replying to you anymore, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about...

giphy.gif
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If I over consume calories from begetable, fruit and meat sources I don't gain, I just maintain. The thing is though I don't eat all I want of things like nuts or other calroie dense foods that don't provide as much bang for their buck.

This is mathmathically impossible...

giphy.gif

And this is why there is such a backlash....statements like that one.
  • NCDJ2013
    NCDJ2013 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Why is organic "healthier"?
    The idea is to avoid pesticides, GMO's, hormones and antibiotics.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

What's wrong with these? means healthier meat, and vegetables, I don't see any problem with them!

ETA : Again how or why is organic "healthier"??
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    In for the morning giggles.

And because I've never seen a thread like this before.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

Have you ever looked at what is allowed in "organic" foods? Here is a list...

Non-Organic Agriculture Products Allowed:

•Casings, from processed intestines.
    •Celery powder.
    •Chia ( Salvia hispanica L. ).
    •Colors derived from agricultural products.
    •Annatto extract color—water and oil soluble.
    •Beet juice extract color
    •Beta-carotene extract color, derived from carrots
    •Black currant juice color
    •Black/Purple carrot juice color
    •Blueberry juice color
    •Carrot juice color
    •Cherry juice color
    •Chokeberry—Aronia juice color
    •Elderberry juice color
    •Grape juice color
    •Grape skin extract color
    •Paprika color —dried, and oil extracted.
    •Pumpkin juice color
    •Purple potato juice
    •Red cabbage extract color
    •Red radish extract color
    •Saffron extract color
    •Turmeric extract color
    •Dillweed oil
    •Fish oil —stabilized with organic ingredients or only with ingredients on the National List
    •Fortified cooking wines.
    •Marsala.
    •Sherry.
    •Fructooligosaccharides
    •Galangal, frozen.
    •Gelatin
    •Gums—water extracted only (Arabic; Guar; Locust bean; and Carob bean).
    •Hops ( Humulus luplus ).
    •Inulin-oligofructose enriched
    •Kelp—for use only as a thickener and dietary supplement.
    •Konjac flour
    •Lecithin—de-oiled.
    •Lemongrass—frozen.
    •Orange pulp, dried.
    •Orange shellac-unbleached
    •Pectin (high-methoxy).
    •Peppers (Chipotle chile).
    •Seaweed, Pacific kombu.
    •Starches.
    •Cornstarch (native).
    •Rice starch, unmodified —for use in organic handling until June 21, 2009.
    •Sweet potato starch—for bean thread production only.
    •Tragacanth gum
    •Turkish bay leaves.
    •Wakame seaweed ( Undaria pinnatifida ).
    •Whey protein concentrate

Non-Synthetic Allowed:
    •Acids (Alginic; Citric—produced by microbial fermentation of carbohydrate substances; and Lactic).
    •Agar-agar.
    •Animal enzymes—(Rennet—animals derived; Catalase—bovine liver; Animal lipase; Pancreatin; Pepsin; and Trypsin).
    •Bentonite.
    •Calcium carbonate.
    •Calcium chloride.
    •Calcium sulfate—mined.
    •Carrageenan.
    •Dairy cultures.
    •Diatomaceous earth—food filtering aid only.
    •Egg white lysozyme
    •Enzymes—must be derived from edible, nontoxic plants, nonpathogenic fungi, or nonpathogenic bacteria.
    •Flavors, nonsynthetic sources only and must not be produced using synthetic solvents and carrier systems or any artificial preservative.
    •Gellan gum —high-acyl form only.
    •Glucono delta-lactone—production by the oxidation of D-glucose with bromine water is prohibited.
    •Kaolin.
    •L-Malic acid
    •Magnesium sulfate, nonsynthetic sources only.
    •Microorganisms—any food grade bacteria, fungi, and other microorganism.
    •Nitrogen—oil-free grades.
    •Oxygen—oil-free grades.
    •Perlite—for use only as a filter aid in food processing.
    •Potassium chloride.
    •Potassium iodide.
    •Sodium bicarbonate.
    •Sodium carbonate.
    •Tartaric acid—made from grape wine.
    •Waxes—nonsynthetic (Carnauba wax; and Wood resin).
    •Yeast—nonsynthetic, growth on petrochemical substrate and sulfite waste liquor is prohibited (Autolysate; Bakers; Brewers; Nutritional; and Smoked—nonsynthetic smoke flavoring process must be documented)

Synthetics Allowed:
    •Acidified sodium chlorite—Secondary direct antimicrobial food treatment and indirect food contact surface sanitizing. Acidified with citric acid only.
    •Activated charcoal —only from vegetative sources; for use only as a filtering aid.
    •Alginates.
    •Ammonium bicarbonate—for use only as a leavening agent.
    •Ammonium carbonate—for use only as a leavening agent.
    •Ascorbic acid.
    •Calcium citrate.
    •Calcium hydroxide.
    •Calcium phosphates (monobasic, dibasic, and tribasic).
    •Carbon dioxide.
    •Cellulose—for use in regenerative casings, as an anti-caking agent (non-chlorine bleached) and filtering aid.
    •Chlorine materials—disinfecting and sanitizing food contact surfaces, Except, That, residual chlorine levels in the water shall not exceed the maximum residual disinfectant limit under the Safe Drinking Water Act (Calcium hypochlorite; Chlorine dioxide; and Sodium hypochlorite).
    •Cyclohexylamine —for use only as a boiler water additive for packaging sterilization.
    •Diethylaminoethanol —for use only as a boiler water additive for packaging sterilization.
    •Ethylene—allowed for postharvest ripening of tropical fruit and degreening of citrus.
    •Ferrous sulfate—for iron enrichment or fortification of foods when required by regulation or recommended (independent organization).
    •Glycerides (mono and di)—for use only in drum drying of food.
    •Glycerin—produced by hydrolysis of fats and oils.
    •Hydrogen peroxide.
    •Magnesium carbonate—for use only in agricultural products labeled “made with organic (specified ingredients or food group(s)),” prohibited in agricultural products labeled “organic”.
    •Magnesium chloride—derived from sea water.
    •Magnesium stearate—for use only in agricultural products labeled “made with organic (specified ingredients or food group(s)),” prohibited in agricultural products labeled “organic”.
    •Nutrient vitamins and minerals, in accordance with 21 CFR 104.20, Nutritional Quality Guidelines For Foods.
    •Octadecylamine —for use only as a boiler water additive for packaging sterilization.
    •Ozone.
    •Pectin (low-methoxy).
    •Peracetic acid/Peroxyacetic acid —for use in wash and/or rinse water according to FDA limitations. For use as a sanitizer on food contact surfaces.
    •Phosphoric acid—cleaning of food-contact surfaces and equipment only.
    •Potassium acid tartrate.
    •Potassium carbonate.
    •Potassium citrate.
    •Potassium hydroxide—prohibited for use in lye peeling of fruits and vegetables except when used for peeling peaches during the Individually Quick Frozen (IQF) production process.
    •Potassium iodide—for use only in agricultural products labeled “made with organic (specified ingredients or food group(s)),” prohibited in agricultural products labeled “organic”.
    •Potassium phosphate—for use only in agricultural products labeled “made with organic (specific ingredients or food group(s)),” prohibited in agricultural products labeled “organic”.
    •Silicon dioxide.
    •Sodium acid pyrophosphate —for use only as a leavening agent.
    •Sodium citrate.
    •Sodium hydroxide—prohibited for use in lye peeling of fruits and vegetables.
    •Sodium phosphates—for use only in dairy foods.
    •Sulfur dioxide—for use only in wine labeled “made with organic grapes,” Provided, That, total sulfite concentration does not exceed 100 ppm.
    •Tartaric acid—made from malic acid.
    •Tetrasodium pyrophosphate (CAS # 7722–88–5)—for use only in meat analog products.
    •Tocopherols—derived from vegetable oil when rosemary extracts are not a suitable alternative.
    •Xanthan gum
  • w734q672
    Options
    ^Escloflowne- You're hilarious bro, I'm loving your comments. Totally showing this to my colleagues

^Nutmeg76
    I don't like your grouping bias. Again, correlation does not imply causation, please understand this concept. It's like saying stretching implies less injuries for an athlete, which is false.
    As studies on stretching increased over the years, another type of evaluation—one that assesses a large group of studies and the subjects used for them—were performed. Ian Shrier, M.D., a past president of the Canadian Society of Sports Medicine, published such a study in the Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine in 1999 titled "Stretching Before Exercise Does Not Reduce the Risk of Local Muscle Injury.” Among his conclusions were that stretching can produce damage in muscles, and that stretching can mask muscle pain.

It might be an easier lifestyle for you persay, but I think that practicality is inherently different from person to person lol
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    ^Escloflowne- You're hilarious bro, I'm loving your comments. Totally showing this to my colleagues

^Nutmeg76
    I don't like your grouping bias. Again, correlation does not imply causation, please understand this concept. It's like saying stretching implies less injuries for an athlete, which is false.
    As studies on stretching increased over the years, another type of evaluation—one that assesses a large group of studies and the subjects used for them—were performed. Ian Shrier, M.D., a past president of the Canadian Society of Sports Medicine, published such a study in the Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine in 1999 titled "Stretching Before Exercise Does Not Reduce the Risk of Local Muscle Injury.” Among his conclusions were that stretching can produce damage in muscles, and that stretching can mask muscle pain.

It might be an easier lifestyle for you persay, but I think that practicality is inherently different from person to person lol

Do you even quote button?
  • w734q672
    Options

^Nutmeg76

Do you even quote button?
    Usually, but trying not too for my Paleo friends
  • PRMinx
    Options

I love trolling paleo people. It's like a hobby

Oh, I'm sorry.

Real hobbies are good, too.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options

Thank you!! :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Paleo / Primal DOES work - it's not a fad diet to lose weight quickly. It is a life-style change and you will have to stick with it. Smaller portions don't work for everyone and they tend to fall off the wagon. With Paleo / Primal I regularly went over the 'daily calorie intake'. I ate until I was satisfied. I counted no calories, only carbs. When you reach your ideal weight, then perhaps some reassessment is necessary.

and no one falls off Paleo? Practically EVERYONE at this point has tried Paleo. The failure rate is no different than any other diet. It's always funny how people get on a diet and then convert it to "lifestyle" - like that makes it somehow magically different. If everyone stuck to the macros and weight loss portion of MFP then it too is a lifestyle. One is not better than the other. If you look at the rates of cancer regarding red meat then you would have to reconsider a lifestyle that is telling you it is fine to eat red meat in higher quantities. I enjoy red meat as much as the next person but all in moderation.
  • w734q672
    Options

Oh, I'm sorry.

You clearly need to troll Cross-fit and Paleo people, because it's as real as a 'Paleo Diet'
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    brother, i went on the Paleo diet 2 weeks ago..i lost 13 pounds the first week and 7 the second week...20 in 2 weeks.... all teh organic and grass fed is so dang expensive.... i have eaten the foods that are on the diet and just bought the very leanest meats ..Perdue chicken...93% lean ground beef...regular eggs.....i am a type 2 diabetic and my numbers have come down to normal in that 2 weeks.... my blood pressure is getting low...too low and i am on 2 meds for that...i will have to come off one or at least lessen them....

i know it says but that and some things you can maybe afford...but it is the best thing i have ever done and im going to stick to it for life....i have tried every diet known to man.... this time I am staying with the Paleo plan...

good luck to you

Bill
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Paleo / Primal DOES work - it's not a fad diet to lose weight quickly. It is a life-style change and you will have to stick with it. Smaller portions don't work for everyone and they tend to fall off the wagon. With Paleo / Primal I regularly went over the 'daily calorie intake'. I ate until I was satisfied. I counted no calories, only carbs. When you reach your ideal weight, then perhaps some reassessment is necessary.

and no one falls off Paleo? Practically EVERYONE at this point has tried Paleo. The failure rate is no different than any other diet. It's always funny how people get on a diet and then convert it to "lifestyle" - like that makes it somehow magically different. If everyone stuck to the macros and weight loss portion of MFP then it too is a lifestyle. One is not better than the other. If you look at the rates of cancer regarding red meat then you would have to reconsider a lifestyle that is telling you it is fine to eat red meat in higher quantities. I enjoy red meat as much as the next person but all in moderation.

I can honestly say I have not done the Paleo diet...I researched it and was like...:noway: even after my cousin (ex military/crossfitter/crossfit gym owner) tried to convince me it was the way to go...and I don't eat a tonne of grains but to totally eliminate dairy, grains etc ....

I say float...
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Yep, I try to just go as organic and healthy as possible (!), many fitness gurus will go way overboard with their dieting advice...

We're living in the 21st century and some of the food that came along since the stoneage isn't that bad after all.

I agree.
  • armorflamemusicman
    armorflamemusicman Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've tried "counting calories" and "portion control" before but I always seemed to lose sight of my goal. Working a full time job on night shift, it can be a little rough to eat healthy unless you prepare beforehand. My previous plan was simply to eat things with a relatively small ingredients list. It worked for a while, but I plateaued.

Thank you all for the advice and criticism (constructive and non-constructive).
  • PRMinx
    Options

Oh, I'm sorry.

You clearly need to troll Cross-fit and Paleo people, because it's as real as a 'Paleo Diet'

Yeah. Totally. I hate CrossFit.