Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    In
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    planet fitness is for beginners and/or people who are looking to do cardio and some weights.

this is enough for women. (lol, not to be chauvinist), but i would never recommend this place to anyone who really wanted to make real gains but theyre mostly men anyway.

Dis_gon_b_gud.gif
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I had a PFit membership for a while, until I moved. I got on a deal where it was "only $99 for the year"- but they didn't tell me there was about a $40 annual membership fee that they added once a year. And cancelling my membership when I moved was a bit of a pain, but if you plan on sticking with it, just be aware of the annual fee.

Saying "PF is for ___" in my opinion is like saying "eating veggies is for ___". Some people have great luck, some don't. All of the tools you need to get fit are there- treadmills, weights, etc. so it certainly can work for you. It's all about what you do with the membership. If you go, exercise, and leave... you'll do just fine. I tend to be the quiet one at the qym, so as long as people don't bug me (and they generally don't), we're good. The only 2 things I found funny were:

1) Free food on certain days. Seriously? It's a friggin gym
    2) They had tanning at the one I went to, so some people looked legit orange. Like they just came from the Home Depot spray paint aisle. So hard to not laugh.

But it was kind of fun to people watch while I was there. The one I went to was full of a bunch of interesting characters.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Oh yay, this thread again!

It's just everything that's wrong with America, but it's a fairly good "gym" for most Americans, I suppose.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    My view is

It doesn;t matter what machines etc the gyn has, it what you "put in" in the gym that counts

I look around my gym and there are people there for two hours, talking, texting etc,

Go with a plan, stick too it, go hard at it for an hour, and go home
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    My view is

It doesn;t matter what machines etc the gyn has, it what you "put in" in the gym that counts

It does for me, because my main goal is a 300lb+ deadlift and that's not going to happen in a gym that won't allow deadlifts, dropping of weights on the floor or grunting.
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    F*** planet fitness. They have more treadmills, ellipticals, and bikes than they do weights. Tons of machines for each muscle group, even the bench station (if you want to call it that) is a SMITH'S machine. That messes with any lifts like bench or squats. Some PF's have the free movement barbells but not the ones I've been to. And they call out all the guys in there actually trying to make gains and kick them out for being "lunks" and then all the old people and social gatherers in there get pissed off that some buff dude is in there showing them up. I've never had this happen to me but you can find plenty of videos on YouTube showing how these guys are treated...it's a joke of a gym and is getting to be a pain in the butt. Pizza Mondays? Isn't the point of going to the gym to get fit? Anyways, 97% of the people in PF are either running their butts off making little progress or using the weight machines with the lightest weights possible. It's a joke
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    A gym is only as good as the location near you. I'm a very happy member of anytime fitness, but if I judged the place on the location I went to on a business trip one time, I'd never have joined. I've never been to a Planet Fitness, haven't heard good things, but I'd consider joining if they were close to me. Besides, no commitment? At the worst, you'd be out the $10 for a month.

As a poster said above, they cater to a specific market, which more power to them.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Planet Fitness membership.

I do all my lifting at home, so I really don't care about squat racks and deadlifting rules. (Even though, my Planet Fitness allows deadlifts, has two squat racks, and has never sounded the lunk alarm). I guess it might be because the couple who owns the serious lifting gym in my town also owns the local Planet Fitness.

The only reason I go to a gym is to periodically use low-impact cardio equipment when I need to cross-train or recover from an injury. I'm a serious hiker - 35-50 miles a week when I'm working my 8-5 desk job and even more miles when I have a week or two off my desk job. After lots of trail miles, I often have wear-and-tear pain in my knees/ankles/feet, so I like to have access to a stationary bike or an elliptical. They help me maintain my cardio/endurance when I need a break from high trail miles.

I pay $10/month for a gym I only use periodically. I think it's a great deal and suits my gym needs perfectly. It would be ludicrous for me to pay more for a gym that I hardly use that has resources I don't need.

And as far as the tootsie rolls, pizza and bagels - I think a healthy, normal, life-long maintenance diet can and should be able to accommodate food like this. I don't eat tootsie rolls because I don't like them, but pizza and bagels are foods I eat regularly. Not sure why it's so awful for the gym to serve them once a month? Isn't it all about moderation and learning to fit a variety of foods you enjoy into a healthy diet?

ETA - And, my Planet Fitness has all different kinds of people there - cardio bunnies, men/women that very obviously put a lot of effort into getting stronger, total beginners, seniors looking to stay fit/flexible and weirdos who sit on the equipment playing on their smartphones. It's fine - there is something for everyone. I don't believe there is a 'Planet Fitness Type' - at least not at my PF.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    My view is

It does for me, because my main goal is a 300lb+ deadlift and that's not going to happen in a gym that won't allow deadlifts, dropping of weights on the floor or grunting.

Is PLanet Fitness = Globo Gym?

Thats mental. My gym €29 a month, no contract, do whatever you want, hamemrs, tires, you name,
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    planet fitness is for beginners and/or people who are looking to do cardio and some weights.

this is enough for people who are just starting out, but i would never recommend this place to anyone who really wanted to make real gains but theyre mostly people who've been working out a while anyway.

Fixed that for you.

Plenty of women go to the gym for gains, thanks.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    My view is

Is PLanet Fitness = Globo Gym?

Thats mental. My gym €29 a month, no contract, do whatever you want, hamemrs, tires, you name,

dunno what globo gym is, but at PF they have a "lunk alarm" which they sound if someone drops weights or grunts. And they banned deadlifts, and they have a policy that excludes squat racks.

Your gym sounds great :drinker:
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I belong to PF as well and like it just fine. When I first joined deadlifting, bench presses and squatting was allowed. They have since done a major remodel and you can only do those things in a Smith Machine now which, I know, is not the same. Although I have to admit the remodel is awesome. All the equipment is new, the locker rooms are beautiful and we got the hydromassage beds and 4 tanning beds/booths. So while there is some lifting you can do there, it isn't going to meet your needs if you want to be a serious lifter. This gym is 1 1/2 miles from home and I can stop on the way home from work or ride my bike there so it is very convenient.

I have heard that stupid lunk alarm go off (maybe once or twice a month), but who cares. The people working at mine are very nice and I don't see any judgment going on unless it is me drooling over the physique of someone who caught my eye or me mentally praising the tough workout someone else is doing that I wish I could do. As for the free food twice a month, I am not there at those times, but I eat pizza and bagels in my normal life so I don't see it as something bad.

Another new gym opened up that is a bit farther away, but for $10 a month it does have benches and squat racks. I may join this one as well since I really want to start lifting again. The location isn't as convenient or I would just go there.

You can get something out of Planet Fitness if you go and use what they have. If you want to lift heavy, it will most likely not fit your needs.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I belong to Planet Fitness and I actually like it for the amount you pay. 10$ a month is hard to beat. I don't know where some of these Gold's gyms are that people are talking about but when I went to Gold's it was 20$ for a student, 30$ for an adult. The Y is 30 for student, Champs Fitness near me is 20$ per month, etc.

They only have cable weighted machines, which is really all some people need. Not everyone is into heavy lifting with the olympic bar. I am one of those people that IS into it, so PF didn't really meet my needs that way. But for being open 24/7, having a HUGE cardio area, and free weighted dumbbells, I really couldn't argue the price.

PF has a bad rep among meat heads because they don't really promote lifting heavy in their gym. Whatever, it's their company. Some pools don't promote swimming naked in their pools and again- whatever. It's their company.

If you just want the basic cardio and cable weight machines and dumbbells, I don't see why it's not a viable option. Plus all the staff I have met at PF have been helpful and friendly.

And I am a meathead. I like to lift heavy. I'm competing in my first Powerlifting meet in September... and PF still has my approval.
  • ldarlener
    ldarlener Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    A gym that has a tanning bed? Seriously? Come in get fit, and try for cancer at the same time?
    NO WAY.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    A gym that has a tanning bed? Seriously? Come in get fit, and try for cancer at the same time?
    NO WAY.

There are tons of gyms that have tanning beds, not just Planet Fitness. It's not a new thing.

The PF I go to actually has a lot of muscular guys, all pretty much in their late teens or early 20s as most of us can't afford anything when we get out of college. They probably go somewhere else for bench, squat, and dead, but they do a lot of accessory work on the cable machines and with the dumbbells, as I do. It really helps those overall lifts to do accessory work anyway and you don't need an oly bar to do that. I have never seen the lunk alarm pulled on anyone.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    Most don't have bench press benches with bars on them, which sucks. Also the clientele varies.

Otherwise, better than nothing.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I had a PFit membership for a while, until I moved. I got on a deal where it was "only $99 for the year"- but they didn't tell me there was about a $40 annual membership fee that they added once a year. And cancelling my membership when I moved was a bit of a pain, but if you plan on sticking with it, just be aware of the annual fee.

Saying "PF is for ___" in my opinion is like saying "eating veggies is for ___". Some people have great luck, some don't. All of the tools you need to get fit are there- treadmills, weights, etc. so it certainly can work for you. It's all about what you do with the membership. If you go, exercise, and leave... you'll do just fine. I tend to be the quiet one at the qym, so as long as people don't bug me (and they generally don't), we're good. The only 2 things I found funny were:

1) Free food on certain days. Seriously? It's a friggin gym
    2) They had tanning at the one I went to, so some people looked legit orange. Like they just came from the Home Depot spray paint aisle. So hard to not laugh.

But it was kind of fun to people watch while I was there. The one I went to was full of a bunch of interesting characters.

Actually, it doesn't have "all the tools", as some have pointed out......

It's a great beginner gym, but saying it has all the tools is kind of preposterous.

Crap, now I'm in.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options

this is enough for women. (lol, not to be chauvinist), but i would never recommend this place to anyone who really wanted to make real gains but theyre mostly men anyway.

I'm a woman and it's not enough for me... being not allowed to do deadlifts and the absence of squat racks is a major issue. And that if you accidentally grunt or drop a weight they sound that "lunk alarm"

IMO a lot more women should be considering strength training/weight lifting as a way to get the physique they want... cardio does not result in the kind of body that many women want, but they're put off due to this stupid myth that they'll "get bulky" and so end up never achieving what they want to achieve. So your advice that PF is fine for women... well it's not. Yep some women like the look you get from a cardio bunny body, but I've seen so many women here complain that they *still* don't have the body they want after hours of cardio and a strict diet....... what they need to do is get in the free weights section and start lifting.

I decided to check out the local PF that opened near me and came away with the same thoughts. It was actually suggested that I could deadlift on the...smith machine. Since I can do cardio at home, PF was definitely not enough for this chick.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Wut?