Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Based on what I've seen they aren't mocking "fitness enthusiasts", but rather a small subset of weight lifters. Not saying it's a good thing, just saying.

So you're ok with financially supporting that brand of bigotry?
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    no catches. i have a PF membership, and it is pretty bare bones but okay. i think it depends on what you want from your gym experience.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Imagine if someone looked up what lunk actually meant.....and what they're actually calling people.
    I'm assuming they are using a shortened form of lunkhead which traditionally means someone slow or of limited intelligence?

And we don't see the irony in it?
    Irony?
    no. But yes, it's a pretty lame marketing slogan.

Yep, I could imagine if another gym put up, "look at her, she drinks out of a pretty pink bottle, what a lunk". Good think she isn't part of our judgment free zone.
    I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't already part of someone's slogan. Given all the mockery of the "pink barbie" weights.

If they are, they're doing a horrible job of marketing it, or people really.....really don't care.

I giggle every time I read about how people love how they aren't "judged" there (is anybody at any other gym), but yet the whole premise of the gym is to caricaturize or "judge" the fitness enthusiast.

If you look past that, that's fine, but I still get a kick out of it every time.
    Based on what I've seen they aren't mocking "fitness enthusiasts", but rather a small subset of weight lifters. Not saying it's a good thing, just saying.

What about the Zumba and yoga ads?
    meh. I guess I just don't care. cheers. And enjoy YOUR gym.

Bet your gym doesn't contain a front loading washer.
    heh. Well.... no. But my gym does have a doggy door and a couch. We have a kick *kitten* treadmill at home for the winter months.

And I've been a member of PF for a whopping 3 weeks now as my uni gym has open lifting hours this summer from 11-1 m-f. LITERALLY.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    This is getting so old.

WGAF???

The gym markets to a segment of the population. That population uses and pays for the gym. Why does it have to be anything more than that? I don't whine about my gym not having an indoor tennis court. If I wanted to play tennis that badly, I'd find a gym that does. I wouldn't denigrate it just because it doesn't cater to tennis players. Not every gym needs to have squat racks or free weights.

As far as how they market their product; every company does the same thing. What? You haven't seen the Samsung commercials that try to make every Apple user look like a *kitten*? Or how about "I'm a mac, I'm a pc" where Apple tries to make MS users look like a bunch of tools?

Is it really surprising/shocking/offensive to see a company poke fun at it's competitors? If this is something you find offensive, well... www.firstworldproblems.com

it's hilarious the way planet fitness fans get so butthurt over people saying things about planet fitness that come directly from planet fitness's own market campaign though.... that and the whole juxtaposition of the lunk alarm and the judgement free zone. I mean if you wrote a sitcom about a gym you wouldn't be able to think up anything that funny....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    This is getting so old.

WGAF???

The gym markets to a segment of the population. That population uses and pays for the gym. Why does it have to be anything more than that? I don't whine about my gym not having an indoor tennis court. If I wanted to play tennis that badly, I'd find a gym that does. I wouldn't denigrate it just because it doesn't cater to tennis players. Not every gym needs to have squat racks or free weights.

As far as how they market their product; every company does the same thing. What? You haven't seen the Samsung commercials that try to make every Apple user look like a *kitten*? Or how about "I'm a mac, I'm a pc" where Apple tries to make MS users look like a bunch of tools?

Is it really surprising/shocking/offensive to see a company poke fun at it's competitors? If this is something you find offensive, well... www.firstworldproblems.com

it's hilarious the way planet fitness fans get so butthurt over people saying things about planet fitness that come directly from planet fitness's own market campaign though.... that and the whole juxtaposition of the lunk alarm and the judgement free zone. I mean if you wrote a sitcom about a gym you wouldn't be able to think up anything that funny....
    wheres the butthurt?
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    This is getting so old.

WGAF???

wheres the butthurt?

in planet fitness threads generally. I wasn't talking about any specific posts/people. Just a comment on why planet fitness threads end up being pages long every time.

it's very amusing :bigsmile:
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Pizza night and tootsie rolls at your disposal. #justno:noway:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    And I've been a member of PF for a whopping 3 weeks now as my uni gym has open lifting hours this summer from 11-1 m-f. LITERALLY.

11 AM to 1 PM?

seriously.

I couldn't even finish my workout in that time. That sucks. :(
    in planet fitness threads generally. I wasn't talking about any specific posts/people. Just a comment on why planet fitness threads end up being pages long every time.

it's very amusing bigsmile
    LOL- I can't help myself but click on them- and I know I shouldn't- it's a TRAP IT'S A TRAP!!!!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    This is getting so old.

WGAF???

wheres the butthurt?

Planet Fitness threads tend to be long because so many people like to bash them. If you look at any PF thread and count the number of negative posts vs. positive or apathetic posts, you'll find that the negative far exceeds the other two combined. And then you have those people who never miss a chance to remind everyone of their awesome home gym, because apparently everyone should have the space and money for that.

Plenty of people have had a great deal of success at Planet Fitness. Plenty of people are happy saving a bunch of money over other gyms and using machines or the Smith for heavier weights. Plenty of people enjoy it just for cardio. I don't particularly see the point in discouraging new members from joining an inexpensive gym with no commitment or cancellation fee. It's extremely low risk, and the alternative for many people is to run in the heat or do videos in their homes.
  • dianasustaita37
    dianasustaita37 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    IDk everyone keeps putting the gym down. I have been going for over 3 months now never a problem, no one else i go with have any complaints either. They down the whole free pizza and bagels once a month,you do not have to eat it. I love this gym as my starter point. :) Hope this helps. And yes its only $10 a month.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    This is getting so old.

WGAF???

wheres the butthurt?

Planet Fitness threads tend to be long because so many people like to bash them. If you look at any PF thread and count the number of negative posts vs. positive or apathetic posts, you'll find that the negative far exceeds the other two combined. And then you have those people who never miss a chance to remind everyone of their awesome home gym, because apparently everyone should have the space and money for that.

Plenty of people have had a great deal of success at Planet Fitness. Plenty of people are happy saving a bunch of money over other gyms and using machines or the Smith for heavier weights. Plenty of people enjoy it just for cardio. I don't particularly see the point in discouraging new members from joining an inexpensive gym with no commitment or cancellation fee. It's extremely low risk, and the alternative for many people is to run in the heat or do videos in their homes.

but that's exactly what I'm talking about...... the negative opinions about planet fitness come directly from their own marketing. In their marketing they brand themselves as being anti pretty much anyone who's serious about fitness... they mock weight lifters, bodybuilders, people who are fit, people who do yoga and they even mock zumba. And then people who like planet fitness are surprised that there's this huge backlash against them......... if they didn't market themselves this way, then there would be no threads like this and no-one would really care that much about them.... and their advertising executives know this very very very well, and this kind of backlash is *exactly* what they want because it gives exposure to their brand. So there's no point complaining about this negative backlash. Just let it be and enjoy going to planet fitness if it suits you.

I have a home gym on a shoestring budget and not much space. I even have a DIY squat rack made of two bedside tables (and rubber plates in case I have to drop the barbell)... I bought plates one by one as my 5 rep max on deadlifts increased to the point of me running out of plates. I borrowed the barbell from a friend. Why? I used to live in Saudi Arabia where the nearest gym for women was about a 700 mile drive through the Arabian desert and it's illegal for women to go to men's gyms. And yes it's definitely too hot to run there, so home gym on a shoestring budget was my only option. So you don't need much space or money to have a home gym.

And no-one is saying "don't go to planet fitness" - they're not preventing anyone from going there. Go there if it suits your needs, really no-one here even cares that much what other people do. They're mostly just saying why they don't go, or pointing out some problems that people who go there *may* face (e.g. the lack of squat racks and the ban on deadlifting, which will be a problem if they want to get serious about strength training)........ if someone chooses not to go there based on that and to get a home gym setup instead, then that's up to them. Or if they decide to go to planet fitness anyway in spite of it not being set up for weight lifting, then that's up to them as well. People here are adults, they're capable of reading the information presented and making their own minds up. If someone's put off by factually correct information, then actually that factually correct information was useful to them, as they could see that helped them avoid trouble further down the road, hence making a decision to not do something on the basis of it.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Look...the reality is YOU have to check out all the local gyms in your area and not rely on other's opinions. I did my homework and visited all the gyms and got a vibe for which one would work for ME! It turned out to be one of the expensive ones however, $30 a month is a drop in the bucket compared to $80 that I'm seeing some pay?! But it is what it is regardless, find your fit! Look at busy times, look at dead times, look on the weekends, just do the homework!
  • dbmata
    Options

Apparently business who base their revenue plan on bigotry tend to polarize people's opinions! I wouldn't have assume that unless I saw it myself!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    This is getting so old.

WGAF???

wheres the butthurt?

My issue with Planet Fitness is their advertising. I think it stinks. I also think it feeds into and confirms the self-image issues people have about fitter people and gyms - I still remember how ashamed I was to go out and run that first day.

I'm not exactly sure why you are poo-pooing the ease of setting up a home gym. I spent $40 on a suspension trainer and $10 on a basketball. That's $50.

I could have gotten a doorway pull up bar for $30, but I thought the suspension equipment was more versatile.

It consists of a loop that is attached to my ceiling. The rest of it folds up and fits into a bag that is half the size of a shoe box.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Apparently business who base their revenue plan on bigotry tend to polarize people's opinions! I wouldn't have assume that unless I saw it myself!
    Do you feel this strongly about most things you view as wrong?
    I tend to get really irked at blatantly misleading advertising and BS like that, like marketing candy in a bowl as "part of a nutritious breakfast" and nonsense like that.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

My issue with Planet Fitness is their advertising. I think it stinks. I also think it feeds into and confirms the self-image issues people have about fitter people and gyms - I still remember how ashamed I was to go out and run that first day.

I'm not exactly sure why you are poo-pooing the ease of setting up a home gym. I spent $40 on a suspension trainer and $10 on a basketball. That's $50.

I could have gotten a doorway pull up bar for $30, but I thought the suspension equipment was more versatile.

It consists of a loop that is attached to my ceiling. The rest of it folds up and fits into a bag that is half the size of a shoe box.

So how much will it cost me to do StrongLifts at home? Because that's the program I'm working. Also, running on a treadmill when it's too hot outside. If I can do all that at home for $80 in my tiny living room, I'll be happy to quit my gym.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

So how much will it cost me to do StrongLifts at home? Because that's the program I'm working. Also, running on a treadmill when it's too hot outside. If I can do all that at home for $80 in my tiny living room, I'll be happy to quit my gym.

Not much. I borrowed a barbell and some other plates from a friend, it's a "women's" barbell i.e. not an olympic one... these things have a max weight on them, I think i bent this one a little tiny bit but it doesn't notice. I think this kind of barbell doesn't cost much... it's not as heavy though. When I buy my own I'm getting an olympic one. I also have a dumbbell set, which I bought in Saudi for about 300 riyals if that (can't remember it was a while back)... I also bought some extra plates in Bahrain, for about 15 dinars for 2x 10kg rubber plates, I got a couple of sets of those and a set of 5kg ones (I think they cost 10 dinars or something)

treadmill was bought by my husband, can't remember how much. Was bought used in Saudi.

squat rack is 2 bedside tables. rubber plates bounce (so I can drop the barbell if I get stuck on a lift)

If you look on whatever websites people sell used exercise equipment - or there may be shops... having an actual squat rack with safety pins is better though. Seriously. I also use the same bedside tables as a safety thing when bench pressing, and I use a coffee table and pillows as an actual bench.

It's not ideal, and I'm planning on getting a power cage, olympic barbell, proper bench and standard plates as soon as I can.
  • kimberlyleos
    Options
    I love Planet Fitness and highly recommend it.
  • dbmata
    Options

I tend to get really irked at blatantly misleading advertising and BS like that, like marketing candy in a bowl as "part of a nutritious breakfast" and nonsense like that.

Oh trust me, this isn't "strongly."

You should hear me about things I actually really care about. However, I do my best to insure that I don't support businesses who act like that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Oh trust me, this isn't "strongly."

You should hear me about things I actually really care about. However, I do my best to insure that I don't support businesses who act like that.
    That gets harder and harder...acting on one's principles. What with shell corporations and subsidiaries etc. etc. etc. Not saying that's the case with PF, but wouldn't be surprised to hear IT was owned by something larger.
    Anyway, thanks for the conversation.
    ETA: or "partnered" with something larger. TSG Consumer Partners LLC