Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Most PF don't stock free barbells- how are any of you squatting and DLing??
    EVERY PF I've visited has free barbells.

Oh. and I've never heard a lunk alarm.

the fact they even have one is disturbing to me.
    Clearly.
  • MissSarahAllison315
    MissSarahAllison315 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've got a membership there (black card) and I like it. Very clean, lots of cardio and weight machines, pretty spacious free weight section. I guess some PF's don't have a free weight section? WEIRD. The staff was friendly and open to help me when I had a question. I pay the 20 there a month bc it's super close to my work, and then 30 for another gym that's close to my house (my commute is silly haha!).

I would agree that it's probably not cut out for people who are trying to get into competitions/etc/etc., but if you're just trying to get into working out/ get some cardio in on your lunch break, it's prettty good!!

Try it out! :)
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I go to a PF because that is all I can afford. My black card membership is $20/month, and other gyms in my area are double that amount per month. I am switching to a new gym as soon as they open in the next few weeks - they offer more stuff than PF, and it'll cost me $15/month.

That being said, I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 at my PF since early May, and not one person said said a word to me about any of the barbell lifts I do there... including deadlifts. The free weights section is spacious, never crowded when I'm there at 5am, and it's clean. They have enough olympic bars, weight plates, benches, etc., just 1 squat rack (though I'm always the only one using it :laugh:). It works for me. I'll be switching to the new gym when they open because it's closer to my house.

why bother switching? are you sure it says PF over the door lol? with a squat rack thats like the holy grail of PFs

Switching because the driving distance from my house to PF is 15-20 mins, and the new gym is like 5 minutes away. And I hear they have TWO squat racks (you know, for the off chance that someone else wants to use it at 5am m-w-f). The PF I go to now seems to have a very high staff turnover rate - so frankly I don't think any of them give a f! about what types of workouts people do there (like the two guys that I see there in the mornings that walk in, each grab an empty oly bar + 2 collars from the free weight section and then carry them out to the cable machine area for their workout. I never see what they do with them, I just imagine they're pole vaulting or something... or practicing jousting).
  • HannahLynn91
    HannahLynn91 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    planet fitness is for beginners and/or people who are looking to do cardio and some weights.

this is enough for women. (lol, not to be chauvinist), but i would never recommend this place to anyone who really wanted to make real gains but theyre mostly men anyway.

uhm... OK.

:noway:
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i'd be less upset about the lunk alarm if it actually got rid of the college jocks that are loudly boasting about this weekend's conquest.

i'm easily made jealous lol
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    For those of you who think you're self esteem magically appears when you lose weight and are fit- you're in for a big surprise.

I get what you're saying but it's still an apples to oranges comparison in terms of how big of a problem it is. It's a little like how rich people are claiming they're under attack in America. At the end of the day even if that's true they still get to go home to their huge houses, take expensive vacations, and drive their fancy cars. But they're under attack. It's kind of the same when someone fit is "body shamed." I mean, haven't there been studies that show aside from the obvious male/female dynamic benifits fit people get treated better in general, get better treatment when looking for jobs, and get promoted more often? Stuff like that.

so here's the thing.
    I haven't read studies or done research. I'm merely pointing out that body shaming happens at ALL levels of fitness and fatness. People judge excessively for the silliest things- make up at the gym? are you kidding me? I wear a lot of make up- frequently- to the gym or not... but how often do I KNOW someone is giving me the stink eye simple because I have eye liner on- it doesn't hurt them at all- and yet- I'm still critisized for being a lazy Beatch who doesn't work hard enough. If I wear short shorts- I'm showing off.

we have this conversation on here at LEAST once a week- if not every other day. People approach their goal weight and realize they are STILL unhappy with themselves. And they deal with a whole new brand of shaming.

My only point was that it doesn't disappear simple because you're smaller or fitter. Planet fitness has built and entire empire out of making fun of fitness oriented people- that's body shaming at it's finest- and it's now a house hold jingle- I pick things up- I put them down.

it's sad. it's shameful and poor behavior on their part.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on where you are and what your goals are fitness wise. I know quite a few people who go to PF and they're just fine...but generally speaking, they spend most of their time working on cardio machines and most of their resistance work is done with machines as well. None of my friends who go to PF do much in the way of free weight training and don't do traditional barbell training.

When I started back into fitness I went to a PF, but pretty quickly outgrew it. While they did have some free weights and some barbells, they were pretty limited; I would think that anyone who really became serious about weight training would find PF fairly lacking.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    I go to a PF because that is all I can afford. My black card membership is $20/month, and other gyms in my area are double that amount per month. I am switching to a new gym as soon as they open in the next few weeks - they offer more stuff than PF, and it'll cost me $15/month.

That being said, I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 at my PF since early May, and not one person said said a word to me about any of the barbell lifts I do there... including deadlifts. The free weights section is spacious, never crowded when I'm there at 5am, and it's clean. They have enough olympic bars, weight plates, benches, etc., just 1 squat rack (though I'm always the only one using it :laugh:). It works for me. I'll be switching to the new gym when they open because it's closer to my house.

why bother switching? are you sure it says PF over the door lol? with a squat rack thats like the holy grail of PFs

Switching because the driving distance from my house to PF is 15-20 mins, and the new gym is like 5 minutes away. And I hear they have TWO squat racks (you know, for the off chance that someone else wants to use it at 5am m-w-f). The PF I go to now seems to have a very high staff turnover rate - so frankly I don't think any of them give a f! about what types of workouts people do there (like the two guys that I see there in the mornings that walk in, each grab an empty oly bar + 2 collars from the free weight section and then carry them out to the cable machine area for their workout. I never see what they do with them, I just imagine they're pole vaulting or something... or practicing jousting).

the only things i've hear the alarm go off for is dropping weight or being loud.

i've never seen a staff member stop someone from doing an exercise, although there is a 'no deadlifting sign'.

but, if your using the one barbell in the gym, someone is going to be unhappy at the bench thats considered its 'home'.

so while the staff may be permissive, the lack of equipment is not
  • goffley3
    goffley3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've been going for a while now and it really is only $10 a month. Most of their gyms aren't as equipped with free weight machines but it is good. The most important part is going, and continuing to go that's the most important part. It really is all about you, if you have the will then yeah it's a great option.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I am a member. I love the one in Massachusetts. no one looking at you or judging. i moved up to 19 a month when i got some bills paid off. and a tan and massage are my reward. as for the woman on treadmill, if you pick your program yes they are programmed to do what you ask. you can always say manual and it asks for your weight. and then you can make any adjustments to your workout.

Minus the caricaturizing/shaming the gym itself proudly does.........
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    just in case people didn't realize this, people will look at you and judge you no matter where you go lol
  • JoRocka
    Options
    For those of you who think you're self esteem magically appears when you lose weight and are fit- you're in for a big surprise.

I get what you're saying but it's still an apples to oranges comparison in terms of how big of a problem it is. It's a little like how rich people are claiming they're under attack in America. At the end of the day even if that's true they still get to go home to their huge houses, take expensive vacations, and drive their fancy cars. But they're under attack. It's kind of the same when someone fit is "body shamed." I mean, haven't there been studies that show aside from the obvious male/female dynamic benifits fit people get treated better in general, get better treatment when looking for jobs, and get promoted more often? Stuff like that.

so here's the thing.
    I haven't read studies or done research. I'm merely pointing out that body shaming happens at ALL levels of fitness and fatness. People judge excessively for the silliest things- make up at the gym? are you kidding me? I wear a lot of make up- frequently- to the gym or not... but how often do I KNOW someone is giving me the stink eye simple because I have eye liner on- it doesn't hurt them at all- and yet- I'm still critisized for being a lazy Beatch who doesn't work hard enough. If I wear short shorts- I'm showing off.

we have this conversation on here at LEAST once a week- if not every other day. People approach their goal weight and realize they are STILL unhappy with themselves. And they deal with a whole new brand of shaming.

My only point was that it doesn't disappear simple because you're smaller or fitter. Planet fitness has built and entire empire out of making fun of fitness oriented people- that's body shaming at it's finest- and it's now a house hold jingle- I pick things up- I put them down.

it's sad. it's shameful and poor behavior on their part.

I get it. We can agree to disagree Your point is valid but I can speak from at least a little bit of experience. While I'm not at the point where I'm being shamed for being fit I have at least reached the point where people have asked when I'm stopping (I've lost alot even tough I'm not thin) or have told me I go to the gym too much. However annoying that gets it's still a million times better then when people used to tape signs to my back in junior high. The bottom line is you can't really shame those with power. Why? Because they have the power. In the real world dynamic fit people have the defacto power. Everyone looks at them and wants to be like them. Even if they get made fun of it's out of jealousy. When fit people make fun of fat people it's out of pure malice.

I feel like you think I'm discounting that. I never compared them.

I just said it exists. I never said it was equal or unequal.

You're putting way more projection on into this than is worth the fault. I was mocked as a child to- and I was never fat. People are mean and cruel no matter what shape and size they are.

You can disagree with me- but I'm honestly not sure what you're disagreeing with because I never said the things you're saying. I merely pointing out- that "fit shaming" "pretty shaming" whatever- it exists. right wrong- worse better, jealous, malice- none of that is relevant.

My only singular point is- it happens.

period. you can disagree with me all you want- but you're disagreeing with an argument entirely of your own production.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

I figured they were using dumbbells, the PFs I've been in were proud of not having barbells.
    Mine has barbells and dumbbells. The last one to which I belonged had barbells and dumbbells.

The PRIMARY limitation that I find are their darned smith "racks" and the lack of actual racks.

I'm not disagreeing that if one is primarily interested in doing compound lifts, PF is not for them.
    But I see a lot of folks working hard to improve their health at PF. I see many of the same people each day.
    Would some of those folks be as comfortable at, say, the Gold's style gym? I don't know.
    Just as some folks prefer "curves". "Eat less, move more" , right? It's a good place to start, and a good compromise for others.
    It's good that they have them, it's a start.

Eat less, move more is a good start. However, PF would do well to knock off the body shaming. Basing marketing on evil isn't a solid business practice in my book. Some part of the market reacts well to that, because people flock there.

I think a lot of those folks would be just as comfortable at another gym as they would with no gym. We're phenomenal at adapting, and having access to better equipment could only be beneficial for the average person.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I figured they were using dumbbells, the PFs I've been in were proud of not having barbells.
    Mine has barbells and dumbbells. The last one to which I belonged had barbells and dumbbells.

The PRIMARY limitation that I find are their darned smith "racks" and the lack of actual racks.

I'm not disagreeing that if one is primarily interested in doing compound lifts, PF is not for them.
    But I see a lot of folks working hard to improve their health at PF. I see many of the same people each day.
    Would some of those folks be as comfortable at, say, the Gold's style gym? I don't know.
    Just as some folks prefer "curves". "Eat less, move more" , right? It's a good place to start, and a good compromise for others.

Eat less, move more is a good start. However, PF would do well to knock off the body shaming. Basing marketing on evil isn't a solid business practice in my book. Some part of the market reacts well to that, because people flock there.

I think a lot of those folks would be just as comfortable at another gym as they would with no gym. We're phenomenal at adapting, and having access to better equipment could only be beneficial for the average person.
    I guess I haven't noticed the "body shaming". I just wish they'd stop being affiliated with The Biggest Loser. What a horrible show.
  • JoRocka
    Options

I guess I haven't noticed the "body shaming". I just wish they'd stop being affiliated with The Biggest Loser. What a horrible show.

have you seriously never seen a planet fitness ad on TV?

They spend all their ads mocking people who workout a lot. meat heads- or cardio queens- zumba fitness people- they make fun of them constantly- the lunk alarm. Their entire marketting campaign is built around making fun of people.

The catch phrase "I pick things up- I put them down". The premise of the gym is purely about body shaming.

I do agree- Biggest Loser is awful. so grateful I do not have TV any more.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Never been to a PF - However if it's within your budget or what you can afford then go for it.

End of the day you're going there to work out not move in. If it fits your requirements for now then great. If that changes in the future then switch to another gym.

Gym snobbery is over rated :wink:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

They spend all their ads mocking people who workout a lot. meat heads- or cardio queens- zumba fitness people- they make fun of them constantly- the lunk alarm. Their entire marketting campaign is built around making fun of people.

The catch phrase "I pick things up- I put them down". The premise of the gym is purely about body shaming.

I vaguely remember those ads a few years ago (but didn't remember them as any one gym. Do they still run? oh, right, you don't have a TV. I wonder what their ads are now?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Imagine if someone actually looked up what lunk meant.....what they're really calling people....in the gym, on the signs, in the ads...