Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I guess I haven't noticed the "body shaming". I just wish they'd stop being affiliated with The Biggest Loser. What a horrible show.

I actually like the show because it gets people thinking, but the actual show itself is kinda horrifying.

Take a gander at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn5mzEAMAkY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQfmpXsLV_4 (This one is awesome, because... screw pretty people!)
    The classic one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7gzmoqmL7g

This one needs a mic drop.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeBb-8nWANA

Body shaming and stereotyping like that, while not as common is just as bad as when it's directed against fat people.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Imagine if someone looked up what lunk actually meant.....and what they're actually calling people.
    I'm assuming they are using a shortened form of lunkhead which traditionally means someone slow or of limited intelligence?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Imagine if someone looked up what lunk actually meant.....and what they're actually calling people.
    I'm assuming they are using a shortened form of lunkhead which traditionally means someone slow or of limited intelligence?

And we don't see the irony in it?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    whats so wrong with the biggest loser?

i don't watch it much, and when i do, i typically fast forward to the workouts
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Irony?
    no. But yes, it's a pretty lame marketing slogan.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Irony?

Maybe their next one will be, "No hipsters allowed."
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Irony?

Maybe their next one will be, "No hipsters allowed."
    Who knows. I know I won't be losing sleep over what their next commercial is.
  • RGv2
    Options

Irony?

Yep, I could imagine if another gym put up, "look at her, she drinks out of a pretty pink bottle, what a lunk". Good think she isn't part of our judgment free zone.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Irony?

Yep, I could imagine if another gym put up, "look at her, she drinks out of a pretty pink bottle, what a lunk". Good think she isn't part of our judgment free zone.
    I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't already part of someone's slogan. Given all the mockery of the "pink barbie" weights.
  • RGv2
    Options

Irony?

I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't already part of someone's slogan. Given all the mockery of the "pink barbie" weights.

If they are, they're doing a horrible job of marketing it, or people really.....really don't care.

I giggle every time I read about how people love how they aren't "judged" there (is anybody at any other gym), but yet the whole premise of the gym is to caricaturize or "judge" the fitness enthusiast.

If you look past that, that's fine, but I still get a kick out of it every time.
  • xmusic_lover211
    xmusic_lover211 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've personally been a member of planet fitness for a many years. I personally love it, but I do believe that it depends on the location. I've moved several times over the past few years to different towns, and changed locations in the process. Some of them were overcrowded, some were not as clean as others, but others I went to were awesome. and i'm more of a beginner on the fitness level, so they suited my needs just fine. The one I go to now is really nice, and is never too crowded. So i like it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Irony?

I don't think it would go over well. You could do a campaign advertising a gym for a "serious" gym extolling the resources. But I don't think you'd get very far denigrating the newbie or unfit person. We all started somewhere.

Also most gyms couldn't survive without a base of members who pay without showing up.

ETA - look at what happened when somebody posted that video bashing the PF member who was exercising with pizza. I think it lasted 25 minutes and every person who saw it reported it, including lunks like MireyGal.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Irony?

If they are, they're doing a horrible job of marketing it, or people really.....really don't care.

I giggle every time I read about how people love how they aren't "judged" there (is anybody at any other gym), but yet the whole premise of the gym is to caricaturize or "judge" the fitness enthusiast.

If you look past that, that's fine, but I still get a kick out of it every time.
    Based on what I've seen they aren't mocking "fitness enthusiasts", but rather a small subset of weight lifters. Not saying it's a good thing, just saying.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I joined PF and stayed a member for a little over a year, I lost my first 125 lbs there. It was good for cardio and circuit machines.. and that's it. The free weight sections was very limited, no squats, no deads no real benches. They had 3 smith machines.. but.. yea.

Was it worth the $10.00 a month? Sure it was, it got me moving and is a great place for a beginner.

Would I go there now? No chance.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I joined PF and stayed a member for a little over a year, I lost my first 125 lbs there. It was good for cardio and circuit machines.. and that's it. The free weight sections was very limited, no squats, no deads no real benches. They had 3 smith machines.. but.. yea.

Was it worth the $10.00 a month? Sure it was, it got me moving and is a great place for a beginner.

Would I go there now? No chance.
    Congrats and well done!
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    This is getting so old.

WGAF???

The gym markets to a segment of the population. That population uses and pays for the gym. Why does it have to be anything more than that? I don't whine about my gym not having an indoor tennis court. If I wanted to play tennis that badly, I'd find a gym that does. I wouldn't denigrate it just because it doesn't cater to tennis players. Not every gym needs to have squat racks or free weights.

As far as how they market their product; every company does the same thing. What? You haven't seen the Samsung commercials that try to make every Apple user look like a *kitten*? Or how about "I'm a mac, I'm a pc" where Apple tries to make MS users look like a bunch of tools?

Is it really surprising/shocking/offensive to see a company poke fun at it's competitors? If this is something you find offensive, well... www.firstworldproblems.com
  • likitisplit
    Options

Irony?

Based on what I've seen they aren't mocking "fitness enthusiasts", but rather a small subset of weight lifters. Not saying it's a good thing, just saying.

What about the Zumba and yoga ads?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Irony?

meh. I guess I just don't care. cheers. And enjoy YOUR gym.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    This is getting so old.

WGAF???

The gym markets to a segment of the population. That population uses and pays for the gym. Why does it have to be anything more than that? I don't whine about my gym not having an indoor tennis court. If I wanted to play tennis that badly, I'd find a gym that does. I wouldn't denigrate it just because it doesn't cater to tennis players. Not every gym needs to have squat racks or free weights.

As far as how they market their product; every company does the same thing. What? You haven't seen the Samsung commercials that try to make every Apple user look like a *kitten*? Or how about "I'm a mac, I'm a pc" where Apple tries to make MS users look like a bunch of tools?

Is it really surprising/shocking/offensive to see a company poke fun at it's competitors? If this is something you find offensive, well... www.firstworldproblems.com

It's really more of the juxtaposition of their campaign with the tag line "Judgement Free Zone"
  • likitisplit
    Options

Irony?

meh. I guess I just don't care. cheers. And enjoy YOUR gym.

Bet your gym doesn't contain a front loading washer.