In your neck of the woods...What do you say?

Options

Replies

• CoolDad67
    CoolDad67 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Slidell, huh? Covington High class of '86. Will be in Slidell over Christmas visiting my sister and mother.

Cool. Graduated in Tangipahoa Parish (Oak Forest Academy) in 1985. Moved to Slidell in 1995.

It's a small world.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Slidell, huh? Covington High class of '86. Will be in Slidell over Christmas visiting my sister and mother.

Cool. Graduated in Tangipahoa Parish (Oak Forest Academy) in 1985. Moved to Slidell in 1995.

It's a small world.

Lived in Tangipahoa (Uneedus) from '77 until '87 (originally from Metairie), about 3 miles across the St. Tammany Parish line. Used to go to Loranger, but my mother had me switched to Covington for high school 'cause she didn't like the crowd I was hanging out with. She was able to pull a few strings as a teacher there.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Michigan... pop, subs, fireflies. I've never heard anyone say "hoagie".
  • readysetgo69
    Options
    Missouri - pop, subs and lightning bugs
  • ScorpionQwean
    ScorpionQwean Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Soda - but we actually say the name, "coke", "pepsi" etc
    Subs
    Fireflies
    Sneakers - not tennis shoes
    Dinner, not suppah

From Boston !! :)
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Sneakers - tennis shoes - running shoes - I don't know which to say these days

Eastern Nebraska

Pop

Hoagie

fireflies

sofa

fridge (altho I'm older and still revert to icebox like my folks did)

I'm really enjoying this thread a lot - love linguistics soooo much! And love the world - wide view this is presenting! Thanks everyone for keeping it going.
  • softncudly
    softncudly Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I say soda. (Though some people in my neck of the woods say soda water).
    Sub, and fireflies
  • PeacefulBalance
    PeacefulBalance Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Pop, subs, fireflies...

And apparently MN is the only state to call a certain childhood game "duck duck, grey duck"
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Soda

Subs

Lightening Bugs
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Tucson, AZ

Soda
    Subs
    There's no such things are fireflies here. So sad, I grew up in CT and miss them.
    Sofa although I will also use couch
    Refrigerator or fridge, never icebox

Actually, this area is a big mix of people from all over the country that you hear many different terms for the same thing. I grew up calling them sneakers but most people here call them tennis shoes or "tennies" and I've conformed.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    The ultimate shibboleth that shows you are a true Wisconsinite: the thingie that you turn a handle so it spouts water for you to drink is not a water fountain or a drinking fountain, it is a bubbler.
  • jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    Do you say Pop or Soda?
    Hoagies or Subs?
    Lightening bugs or fireflies?

I'm from Ohio but now in PA and I say Pop, subs, and lightening bugs.

Tell me what you say and where you are from and add in new words too!

You must be in Pittsburgh or close by. Those are Pittsburgh-isms. Like rubber bands are gum bands, and thorn or briar bushes are jagger bushes.
  • artelyn
    artelyn Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Maine here...

Soda... Sandwich ( unless it's an Italian, which is a very specific type of sandwich) and lightening bugs... couch (sofa is something is a very formal living room usually covered in plastic as to not get dirty) ... Fridge or refrigerator but some things belong only in the freezer (ice cream)...

and it never hurts to throw in a "wicked" as in... "that was a wicked good Italian!!"
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Pop.
    Subs.
    Lightening bugs.

Michigan, represent. :)
  • cherbert1
    cherbert1 Posts: 19
    Options
    Flo-rida

we say coke, sprite, etc.. Not soda or pop
    Subs
    Lightning bugs :)
  • Mythril
    Mythril Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm from Ohio. I say pop, sub and lightening bug. Sometimes I say soda because I've met a lot of people who say soda and I just picked it up.
  • marhattap
    marhattap Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm from North Carolina and we (well, I am originally from Nepal, so I) say:

Soda
    Subs
    Fireflies
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I'm from CA and have always said:
    soda
    subs
    fireflies

and I say couch not sofa

Ditto above in Missouri - in the city - out in the country the only exception is the occasional Sr. citizen still calling their couch or sofa a davenport.

And it is Missoureeeee - not Missourah

Agree on all of this, drives me crazy that my mom says Missourah....she was born and raised here, my brother and I did not pick that up from her thankfully.
  • Yanagibashi
    Yanagibashi Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    In this part of Texas, all soft drinks are called "coke" except Dr Pepper. You don't dare blaspheme the Dr Pepper by calling it a coke.

But I'm a Northerner by birth and call it soda.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Hoagies, soda, and lightning bugs.

The phrase "it's all" when referring to something being all gone.

Yup, central PA here. Lol