Finding Happiness as an Adult

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Baby animals and murdering people in an artificial setting. The happiness lasts about 2 minutes. Most of the time, I don't feel anything at all.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Baby animals and murdering people in an artificial setting. The happiness lasts about 2 minutes. Most of the time, I don't feel anything at all.

:shudder: towards the 'murdering people'

Smile more? :happy:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    What makes you happy as you progress into adulthood?
    As one continues to mature they realize that many things that make them 'happy' are temporary, artificial, or trivial - what makes you most happy?

First and foremost, my two boys and my wife. Even as a younger adult, marriage and kids both felt like a burden, or I should say taxing at times to my happiness. But As I have matured and got past much of my self-focus, I find time with them essential to the balance in my life.

Next, it also took me some time to understand, but I need competition and activity in my life. I need to have a sport that I can challenge myself with, and compete against others. So that is tennis, but I like doing anything active and competitive.

Then, just balance, and not in the sense there needs to be some mediated level I keep. More that, I can have highs and lows, times I digress in things but times I rise way above, etc. So practically, I don't beat myself up if I gain a few pounds because I enjoyed a weekend, and I don't get too overzealous when I drop pounds.

I won't lie. Getting older hasn't been easy mentally or physically for me, and I lost my confidence, balance, and happiness for a while there, but as I strip away long time issues and needless worries, things are really AMAZING.

Also, I like beer.
    A lot.
    :smile:
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
  • CoveOps
    CoveOps Posts: 100
    Options
    living life for yourself and finding your own happines.

It sounds selfish but untill you can find yourself and love yourself you will never be happy.

And if you are not happy, no one around you is going to be happy.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I hope you've had an opportunity to meditate on our conversation. We pick up where Job has gained an audience with God, to plead his case. God challenges Job's understanding by pointing to all the things in the natural world that Job has little understanding of or power over. Where was Job when God set the boundaries of the seas, saying to the water, go here and no further? And on God went.

Job understood. He apologizes to God, and God blesses him, providing double of what he had previously, and giving him a long life to be able to enjoy what He gave him.

We see in the book of Job that God's wisdom and works are far above our own. And far above our ability to comprehend, let alone stand in judgement of what He has done. The book of Job illustrates for us what He says in Isaiah 55:

My ways are not your ways and My thoughts are not your thoughts. For so as the heavens are far above the earth, so are My ways above your ways and My thoughts above your thoughts.

Job got to this place of understanding. The reader of his story is privy to more information. Not only does Job not understand much of the natural world he lives in, he didn't know about the conversations going on about him in the spiritual world. Job thought God had overlooked his dedication to God and his efforts to not sin. But indeed, God did notice, and pointed him out as a shining example.

Now, as humans, in this advanced technological age, know very little about the world we inhabit. One recent scenario comes to mind - speculation on oil in California. With the most advanced machinery available, it was determined California had huge masses of oil, and the rush began a few years ago. It was discovered a couple months ago that their estimates of how much oil was there was off. By 98%.

We know one thing about thing about God and the suffering of humanity - God suffered too. He likened His people to a chronically adulteress wife. We hear words like, He was grieved in His heart. In the person of Jesus, he suffered betrayal, he suffered great hunger (40 days without food), he suffered with temptation, he suffered with abandonment, he suffered with persecution, he suffered with people mocking him, he suffered with a tortuous death, publically. As a Father, he suffered with the agonizing death of his child. God is not removed from the suffering of the world.

Yet, the God of all wisdom, knowing what He Himself would have to suffer over us, chose to endure the pain and made us anyway. then, Jesus chose to endure the cross, for the joy set before him. He would die and live again, to cause many to do the same. We have to trust, that the One who put treasures in snow, and feeds the birds of the air, and gave mankind the intelligence to ponder over the enormity of love like that, knows what He is doing, and it is good.

Many thanks for your interest. :flowerforyou:
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    I hope you've had an opportunity to meditate on our conversation. We pick up where Job has gained an audience with God, to plead his case. God challenges Job's understanding by pointing to all the things in the natural world that Job has little understanding of or power over. Where was Job when God set the boundaries of the seas, saying to the water, go here and no further? And on God went.

Job understood. He apologizes to God, and God blesses him, providing double of what he had previously, and giving him a long life to be able to enjoy what He gave him.

We see in the book of Job that God's wisdom and works are far above our own. And far above our ability to comprehend, let alone stand in judgement of what He has done. The book of Job illustrates for us what He says in Isaiah 55:

My ways are not your ways and My thoughts are not your thoughts. For so as the heavens are far above the earth, so are My ways above your ways and My thoughts above your thoughts.

Job got to this place of understanding. The reader of his story is privy to more information. Not only does Job not understand much of the natural world he lives in, he didn't know about the conversations going on about him in the spiritual world. Job thought God had overlooked his dedication to God and his efforts to not sin. But indeed, God did notice, and pointed him out as a shining example.

Now, as humans, in this advanced technological age, know very little about the world we inhabit. One recent scenario comes to mind - speculation on oil in California. With the most advanced machinery available, it was determined California had huge masses of oil, and the rush began a few years ago. It was discovered a couple months ago that their estimates of how much oil was there was off. By 98%.

We know one thing about thing about God and the suffering of humanity - God suffered too. He likened His people to a chronically adulteress wife. We hear words like, He was grieved in His heart. In the person of Jesus, he suffered betrayal, he suffered great hunger (40 days without food), he suffered with temptation, he suffered with abandonment, he suffered with persecution, he suffered with people mocking him, he suffered with a tortuous death, publically. As a Father, he suffered with the agonizing death of his child. God is not removed from the suffering of the world.

Yet, the God of all wisdom, knowing what He Himself would have to suffer over us, chose to endure the pain and made us anyway. then, Jesus chose to endure the cross, for the joy set before him. He would die and live again, to cause many to do the same. We have to trust, that the One who put treasures in snow, and feeds the birds of the air, and gave mankind the intelligence to ponder over the enormity of love like that, knows what He is doing, and it is good.

Many thanks for your interest. :flowerforyou:

@CJisinShape - this was absolutely beautiful to read. As I stated I am going to reread job, I am currently knocking out some literature on upping my sales game, but once completed Job will be the first book I re-read.

Thanks for pointing out that God has suffered with us, reminds me of Jeremiah 8:22-9:1

"20The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and we are not saved.

21For the hurt of my poor people I am hurt, I mourn, and dismay has taken hold of me.

22Is there no balm in Gilead? Is there no physician there? Why then has the health of my poor people not been restored?

9:1O that my head were a spring of water, and my eyes a fountain of tears, so that I might weep day and night for the slain of my poor people! "

- Sometimes I forgot that all the attributes we label with God are similar to those of us.. we were made in his image I suppose. I'm not happy that the supreme being felt suffering, but if the Bible is correct, it is heartwarming to know he can similarly 'feel' what we 'feel'.

Wonderful read - very sincere, and well thought-out.

Thanks, this was encouraging. :flowerforyou:
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I heard the statement that two words are the key to happiness: "savor" and "serve."

I have learned as an adult that happiness is made up of joyful moments that are most often temporary and fleeting, dispersed between the drudgery, chores and obligation. In order to truly revel in these blissful moments, we must also allow ourselves to experience loss, sorrow, frustration and sadness.

Being present and savoring the good things is the key.

I have also learned that it is important to have a sense of purpose and to feel needed and appreciated. Serving others allows us to fully experience and use the talents that we bring to the world. The satisfaction of serving others allows us to use our gifts and blessings to make the world a little better.

I also believe that finding our authentic self and living an authentic life contribute to happiness, contentment and satisfaction.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My dogs!
    My husband!
    My kids (except my teen, lol)
    A good run!
    Coffee!
    Sex!
    Seeing me achieve my weighloss goals makes me very happy!
    Carbs!
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Becoming aware that happiness, like all emotions, is fleeting. Joy and sorrow, they both come and go. The "happiness" most of us seek is actually contentment. For me contentment comes from understanding the worthy purpose of my life and keeping faithful to that purpose. The things that gratify change (frequently) over time, but what makes us content endures.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    I heard the statement that two words are the key to happiness: "savor" and "serve."

I have learned as an adult that happiness is made up of joyful moments that are most often temporary and fleeting, dispersed between the drudgery, chores and obligation. In order to truly revel in these blissful moments, we must also allow ourselves to experience loss, sorrow, frustration and sadness.

Being present and savoring the good things is the key.

I have also learned that it is important to have a sense of purpose and to feel needed and appreciated. Serving others allows us to fully experience and use the talents that we bring to the world. The satisfaction of serving others allows us to use our gifts and blessings to make the world a little better.

I also believe that finding our authentic self and living an authentic life contribute to happiness, contentment and satisfaction.

^I know in sales that is what we are taught to do for clients- make them feel needed, and appreciated. I think it is the same regarding relationships with others - much more difficult to do with yourself though.

- also "finding yourself" - there is a great deal to that banal platitude, but it is of paramount importance - still in the finding part myself, it is hard to explain but in switching careers or girlfriends or apartments - even something as simple as a new gym, I feel each time like I am rediscovering my identity - that is certainly not healthy.
  • MyTurn2BHappy
    MyTurn2BHappy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Anything fun that comes along, I will pretty much go for (not drugs). I like to LIVE life, feel love, laugh, smile, flirt, just feel good! Life is too short to overthink things
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Right now my kids are what makes me happy. Been having a tough year with moving to another state almost a year ago with my 3 kids to getting served divorce papers and just putting my life back together it's my kids that keep me going and keep me happy, the rest is starting to fall into place and for that I am grateful.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    Anything fun that comes along, I will pretty much go for (not drugs). I like to LIVE life, feel love, laugh, smile, flirt, just feel good! Life is too short to overthink things

One can't help but over-think everything when they suffer from insomnia.

When I was a child I was a bit rebellious, and went to 7 high schools. I recall observing from early on all the 'clicks' and 'labels' and it occurred to me on my 4th school that people simply were not unique - there were the exact same people at every school - and it goes past simply the exact same clicks - there are only 16 real personality types with only a few subsets - about 4 per. Literally, after meeting thousands of people in my life - I'm including my entire lifespan including attending a university of 14,000+ people, along with being an extravert having to talk with everyone I bump into - it occurred to me early on that people are simply biological wiring absolutely non-unique and entirely not special - and it goes against everything you hear as a child.

It is so disappointing - more so because I have even met those that share identical traits as me, and ironically the wiring results in similar life-experiences within the subsets...

“Mario, what do you get when you cross an insomniac, an unwilling agnostic and a dyslexic?"

"I give."

"You get someone who stays up all night torturing himself mentally over the question of whether or not there's a dog.” - David Foster Wallace
  • silverstarrlyte
    silverstarrlyte Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Happiness is a choice.
    I choose to see the beauty in my life, every day. I have to back up many many times and find the beauty and the things that are good, because it is so easy to see the negative. Rain is beautiful, sunshine is beautiful. I can find something negative in both of them if I wanted to. The ability to feel emotions in all their capacity good and bad. That is life. Things are temporary. They don't make you happy. The sound of my childrens laughter, watching my silly dog, hearing from an old friend, the sound of the wind in the trees... these things make me happy.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    Happiness is a choice.
    I choose to see the beauty in my life, every day. I have to back up many many times and find the beauty and the things that are good, because it is so easy to see the negative. Rain is beautiful, sunshine is beautiful. I can find something negative in both of them if I wanted to. The ability to feel emotions in all their capacity good and bad. That is life. Things are temporary. They don't make you happy. The sound of my childrens laughter, watching my silly dog, hearing from an old friend, the sound of the wind in the trees... these things make me happy.

Things are indeed temporary - I like the things that make you happy!

insightful.
  • Johnplusfour
    Johnplusfour Posts: 105
    Options
    Boobs.. I meant my wife!! and her boobs :)
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Honestly? My healthy marriage and baby.
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    But since I'm pregnant, Taco Bell is a close second.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    What makes me happy?

My family - my husband who is thoughtful, and my teenage daughter who is growing into a beautiful person, inside and out.

My cat - coming home and being greeting by my cat who loves me unconditionally - is the BEST!

My morning coffee.

My Sister who e-mails me everyday - you ROCK!

My friends who are on the same 'page' with me - they keep me going.