Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Top this?

Replies

• Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    This thread is useless without recipes. :grumble:

Here is the one I usually use:

"Campfire Upside Down Pineapple Cake
    Move over s'mores! Here's a great dessert for your next camping trip! Recipe by Laura Bashar of Family Spice

Ingredients:
    20 charcoal briquettes
    20 oz pineapple slices, canned
    21 maraschino cherries
    1/2 cup brown sugar, light
    1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground
    1/2 cup water, *
    1/3 cup vegetable oil, *
    3 eggs, large, *
    1 box of yellow cake mix
    Instructions:
    In a fire ring or other fire-safe container add:
    20 charcoal briquettes
    Light the briquettes and allow to heat up for approximately 20-30 minutes.
    Line the bottom and sides of your 10-inch cast iron dutch oven with aluminum foil.
    Reserve 1/2 cup of juice from:
    20 oz pineapple slices, canned
    Place one layer, evenly spaced on the bottom of your dutch oven 7 pineapple rings.
    Place in the center of each pineapple ring and in any empty spaces on the bottom of your dutch oven:
    21 maraschino cherries
    Sprinkle evenly over the fruit:
    1/2 cup brown sugar, light
    1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground
    In a mixing bowl, add 1/2 cup reserved juice and mix together until clumps are gone:
    1/2 cup water , *
    1/3 cup vegetable oil , *
    3 eggs, large , *
    1 box of yellow cake mix
    Pour cake batter evenly over fruit in the dutch oven.
    Place the lid on your dutch oven.
    In a fire ring or fire safe pan, place 12 of the hot charcoal briquettes.
    Place dutch oven over the hot briquettes.
    Place evenly on top of the lid of your dutch oven the 8 remaining hot charcoal briquettes.
    Cook for 30-35 minutes.
    Remove briquettes and allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes.
    Remove the lid of your dutch oven and place a serving plate over it, right side down.
    Carefully flip the dutch oven over, using oven mitts if the pot is still hot, so that the upside down dutch oven is resting over the plate.
    Carefully place the plate on a table and slowly remove dutch oven, making sure the cake remains on the plate.
    Carefully peel the foil off the cake.
    Serve warm or room temperature.

Cast iron skillete or dutch oven will work as long as you have the cover.

This also works very well with some onsite made vanilla icecream :-)

Just some ole man's opinion :-)
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    That actually sounds fairly easy.
  • Monkey_Business

and amazing good
  • Monkey_Business
    best purchase I ever made was a Dutch Oven in the home or camping :-)
  • Mikkimeow
    best purchase I ever made was a Dutch Oven in the home or camping :-)

I could make a joke about this but I am going to just leave it alone. I might invest in a Dutch Oven now!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member

Uhm, I was thinking it was too complicated. I'd go for the bananas and chocolate and peanut butter in the sugar cones. LOL!
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    You let her take over? Girl, bring your mexican best AND whatever dessert you want. Or get her on the booze early and tell everyone they need to rave over whatever you bring and be all "meh" about the pig. Majority rules.

Next time, maybe don't invite the drama llama.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    I am going on a weekend camping/float trip with some friends, and we are having a giant dinner where everyone brings a certain item. It started out as hamburgers and hotdogs. As the years have gone by that we've done this, dinner has gotten more elaborate. Last year we made this awesome giant campfire pizza and a pie in a skillet for dessert. Nothing too crazy. This year, we have a professional chef coming along with us. She was on Food Network and participated in Cupcake Wars, (didn't win in the last round, her icing was too sweet) (yes I scoped her episode) but has her own restaurant. I am typically a nice person, and I consider myself a pretty freaking great cook. I grew up in a very traditionally Hispanic household, and my grandmother taught me how to cook great things. Anyway, when I first met this chef, we were talking about who would bring what. I said I could do dinner, and she asked what I was bringing. I mentioned making sopez and posole (sopez are like tostadas made with masa that hold various ingredients, posole is a type of soup made with hominy). She told me, "Oh, I think I'll do dinner. I rarely cook Hispanic food, it is just a knock off of the real cuisine from Spain, mixed with some Texas trash." Needless to say, she and I are not going to be bosom buddies or anything.

I got stuck with dessert, and I fully intend to kick her butt. My plan is to go with some lemon-pistachio cupcakes and raspberry vodka icing, and finish with a bourbon flan made over the campfire. I was feeling good about that until I found out she was ROASTING AN ENTIRE PIG OVER A FIRE. How do I top that? Make a pie that shoots fireworks? Make an Eiffel Tower replica out of chocolate stems and baby strawberries? Roast a blue whale? (Joking aside I would never do that, whales are great).

I need to beat her. I need her to taste my food and cry in the face of defeat. I need to roar, "EAT IT" while she devours my food in horror and pleasure. What do I make to blow her world apart? I want her to BURRRRRRRRRRRRN.

*Endnote, I am not okay with my culture being put down, especially my food.

*tl;dr best dessert I can make ever to kill a chef with my skillz

A few questions-anybody in this crowd like lemons or rhubarb. I have dynamite recipes for both.

Second, if neither of those are appealing, make the hershey's cake (off of the hershey's cocoa powder box) with a salted caramel or Bailey's buttercream frosting. Both have made people beg for more when I serve them.
  • Mikkimeow
    I am going on a weekend camping/float trip with some friends, and we are having a giant dinner where everyone brings a certain item. It started out as hamburgers and hotdogs. As the years have gone by that we've done this, dinner has gotten more elaborate. Last year we made this awesome giant campfire pizza and a pie in a skillet for dessert. Nothing too crazy. This year, we have a professional chef coming along with us. She was on Food Network and participated in Cupcake Wars, (didn't win in the last round, her icing was too sweet) (yes I scoped her episode) but has her own restaurant. I am typically a nice person, and I consider myself a pretty freaking great cook. I grew up in a very traditionally Hispanic household, and my grandmother taught me how to cook great things. Anyway, when I first met this chef, we were talking about who would bring what. I said I could do dinner, and she asked what I was bringing. I mentioned making sopez and posole (sopez are like tostadas made with masa that hold various ingredients, posole is a type of soup made with hominy). She told me, "Oh, I think I'll do dinner. I rarely cook Hispanic food, it is just a knock off of the real cuisine from Spain, mixed with some Texas trash." Needless to say, she and I are not going to be bosom buddies or anything.

I got stuck with dessert, and I fully intend to kick her butt. My plan is to go with some lemon-pistachio cupcakes and raspberry vodka icing, and finish with a bourbon flan made over the campfire. I was feeling good about that until I found out she was ROASTING AN ENTIRE PIG OVER A FIRE. How do I top that? Make a pie that shoots fireworks? Make an Eiffel Tower replica out of chocolate stems and baby strawberries? Roast a blue whale? (Joking aside I would never do that, whales are great).

I need to beat her. I need her to taste my food and cry in the face of defeat. I need to roar, "EAT IT" while she devours my food in horror and pleasure. What do I make to blow her world apart? I want her to BURRRRRRRRRRRRN.

*Endnote, I am not okay with my culture being put down, especially my food.

*tl;dr best dessert I can make ever to kill a chef with my skillz

A few questions-anybody in this crowd like lemons or rhubarb. I have dynamite recipes for both.

Second, if neither of those are appealing, make the hershey's cake (off of the hershey's cocoa powder box) with a salted caramel or Bailey's buttercream frosting. Both have made people beg for more when I serve them.

Everybody is saying recipes with salted caramel are so 2011, but I am totally in love. Rhubarb! Why didn't I think of that! Best pie I'd ever had was rhubarb.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    loving this thread. So many fun people here.

But the chic that said pig is the best so don't compete? She's fired.
  • Mikkimeow

Right? psshhhh
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    I feel at home in this Thread, so many people who know whats what.

I say you'll win this hands down......a roast pig is delicious, but the dessert is what I'm all about.
  • Mikkimeow

I say you'll win this hands down......a roast pig is delicious, but the dessert is what I'm all about.

If this thread were a group of friends, I feel like we would all sit under a blanket in my backyard and watch the stars. Then we would get drunk and eat really delicious cupcakes. Too far?
  • Pipsg1rl

If this thread were a group of friends, I feel like we would all sit under a blanket in my backyard and watch the stars. Then we would get drunk and eat really delicious cupcakes. Too far?

As long as they aren't chocolate cupcakes...
  • Mikkimeow

As long as they aren't chocolate cupcakes...

Alright, no chocolate cupcakes.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member

Wait-can we do that? That sounds amazing. I'll bring the hookah and a bottle of red.
  • Mikkimeow
    tumblr_lztapwh1uv1qhbvsmo1_400.gif
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member

Sounds good except for the drinking ( not me!) and ribeye steak instead of cupcakes.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member

Right? psshhhh

Tender , moist yet crispy slow roast pig? Wonderful.
    Cupcakes? Meh. I'd go with roast pork every time.
  • Pipsg1rl

Right? psshhhh

Tender , moist yet crispy slow roast pig? Wonderful.
    Cupcakes? Meh. I'd go with roast pork every time.

It's the part where you told her not to compete. she clearly stated that is the ENTIRE purpose of this thread.