Shirt or no Shirt?

Options
Stupid question alert: Is it OK for me to run (in my neighborhood) in shorts and a sports bra? My husband says no, but maybe he just doesn't want people to "see" me lol. BUT it's freakin' hot. Today it is in the 90's and wearing clothes just sucks lol... If your husband/partner didn't want you to run in just a sports bra, would you put a shirt on?

Replies

• bloodyhonest
    bloodyhonest Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    wear a tank over it
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    If your husband/partner didn't want you to run in just a sports bra, would you put a shirt on?

Yes.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Divorce him, wear what you want. It's your workout, not his.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Wear what you're comfortable in. If you have a controlling husband that's a whole 'nother issue. But it's hot out and hopefully you're not married to a Taliban member.

Burka-Swimwear-Sale.jpg
  • DMarkSwan
    DMarkSwan Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sports bra seems perfectly reasonable to me. You should respect your husband's feelings enough to hear him out, but then he should respect your decision.
  • shoeloveramber
    shoeloveramber Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I would throw on a thin loose tank over it.
  • MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You have to be comfortable when you run. Your run is for you. So if you overheat in regular running clothes, go sports bra.
    However, if you run in a sports bra, there's a chance you will get some stares. People staring at me when I am running (if I'm not in a race) throws off my whole cadence because I don't know what they are thinking. But it might not bother you.
    Ultimately, it breaks down to how do you feel most comfortable running.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Wear what you're comfortable in. Tell him if he wants to run in a sweatsuit to have at it.
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Wear what you want. I know the shirtless guys at my track motivate me to run a little quicker to keep up.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    meh- as long as it isn't white- for some reason white target pull over tank/sports bras just look ridiculous. But I'm all about shirtless running.

Otherwise have at it.

I'm a bellydancer- I work professional- if my bf has an issue with me running tank top-less than I am REALLY hosed when it comes to work LOL.

Personally I do not- currently- from my home run shirtless- it is outside Trenton- and not in an unsafe neighborhood- but it's near enough stuff and some of the not upper echelon's of peoples that I prefer to NOT draw extra attention to myself. If I run on the track- or off in a park- I have no problem doing it in just a sports bra.

also- if you take off your shirt- you might wind up more burnt/more tired because of the sun baking your skin.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Stupid question alert: Is it OK for me to run (in my neighborhood) in shorts and a sports bra? My husband says no, but maybe he just doesn't want people to "see" me lol. BUT it's freakin' hot. Today it is in the 90's and wearing clothes just sucks lol... If your husband/partner didn't want you to run in just a sports bra, would you put a shirt on?

I'd put a tank over it, because I would hate to get stared at. Doesn't matter what hubby / partner wants you to do, it's not his or her decision, it's yours.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    If your husband/partner didn't want you to run in just a sports bra, would you put a shirt on?

Yes.

I would respect his wishes and put a shirt on too.

Whether it's appropriate for your neighborhood though depends largely on where you live. My neighborhood would not have any problem with it as a whole, but in the one I grew up in (think Bible Belt), it would be scandalous.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would never be in a relationship with someone that told me what to wear, or wanted me to tell them. I get stared down all the time, who cares I say.

Since your hubby says "no" to such things, I would gather this wouldn't be the first time. If you both enjoy controlling each other or just are submissive then keep on keeping on.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a shirt that has more wicking capabilities to keep you cool? I've found it's not the clothes but how they hold onto the sweat and moisture that makes the heat unbearable.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

Yes.

I would respect his wishes and put a shirt on too.

Whether it's appropriate for your neighborhood though depends largely on where you live. My neighborhood would not have any problem with it as a whole, but in the one I grew up in (think Bible Belt), it would be scandalous.

Insecure guys are insecure for a reason... usually hiding stuff. Same with biblethumpers.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    I think that a light top (mositure wicking) would be appropreiate.

How would you feel about him wearing something in public that you do not approve of and he went onto a website to get opinions about it?
  • Leggylass
    Leggylass Posts: 215
    Options
    If you want to go out in a bra then you go out in a bra, if he divorces you then thats his problem :wink:
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I have a few mesh shirts I wear sometimes with a sports bra. In my last neighborhood, I ran in a sports bra or bikini top and running shorts over bikini bottoms. Where I live now, my husband doesn't care, but I wear the mesh shirts.
  • JamieJam1102
    JamieJam1102 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I would take his explanation into account and make the decision based on whether his reasoning seems ridiculous or not. :)