Gaining weight is so hard

Options

Replies

• xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    Do what i do. Eat a pint of ice cream.

And if you don't want to do that, add in high-calorie foods to your diet. Avocado, nut butters, dark chocolate, full-fat dairy, bananas, potatoes, animal fats, honey, ect. Most of those are "healthy" to have.

Forget what your boyfriend thinks and just do what you want. Unless you're diabetic or borderline diabetic, don't worry about sugar.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    sugar
    http://drhyman.com/blog/2014/02/07/eggs-dont-cause-heart-attacks-sugar/#close
    This is just one link.
    More and more doctors are coming out that sugar is the main culprit
    With your stats, being underweight is a much more significant health hazard than eating sugar.
    This.

Amongst many other things, you're seriously increasing your risk of early-onset osteoporosis; suppressed immunity; fatigue; depression, etc. being at a low weight. It sounds to me like you're possibly more concerned with eating 'perfectly' that actually being healthy? I didn't read the link, but have read similar articles. They are usually referring to excess sugar intake... I don't think you're their target audience somehow.
  • PeanutButterByTheSpoon
    Options
    Have you ever heard of mcdonalds or kfc? That will make you gain weight! No sorry I was just kidding. Here are some options
    eat more high caloprie high fat and high carb. Healthy options, olive oil,coconut oil,butter,lard,bread,pasta,advoctoes,peas,bananas,peanut butter,poatoes,choclate,whole milk cheese and yoghurts.
    Not the healthiest but high calorie, french fries,burgers,milk shakes,ice cream,fried chicken, you know what. Just eat mostly healthy high calorie foods and some bad higjh calorie foods.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Try eating a handful of nuts or avocado every day. Add it to your salad if you don't want to just snack on it.

Instead of having a double serving of veggies, try eating more grains and legumes as side dishes. Lentils, beans, brown rice, etc. have a lot more calories than veggies.

Use full fat dairy, add cheese and/or butter to anything that it will taste good on.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    The reason you have gerd and stomach issues is because of your lack of eating! You said before that you would forget to at some days! The stomach acid will eventually tear up your stomach due to a lack of food... Your stomach issues were caused by your lack of eating, and know you can't even enjoy a burger or a steak... I feel bad for you, all these excuses to not eat... What woman doesn't loiveice cream? Or human for that matter? Seriously you need professional help, your not going to get it here...
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    I eat 6000 calories a day, if weight loss stalls you eat MORE.

If you're not gaining, you need to eat MORE.

It's not hard, at all.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

It's not hard, at all.

Dude, you eat mostly cereal and sweet potatoes with a bit of yogurt and marshmallow sandwich thrown in, interspersed with protein shakes. I don't mean to sound like I have my judge face on, but seriously? I'm curious as to the logic behind this?
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options

It's not hard, at all.

Dude, you eat mostly cereal and sweet potatoes with a bit of yogurt and marshmallow sandwich thrown in, interspersed with protein shakes. I don't mean to sound like I have my judge face on, but seriously? I'm curious as to the logic behind this?
    A calorie is a calorie my friend!

I eat whatever tastes delicious and isn't very filling to make it easier to hit said calorie goal.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    You are brave .. cause I find that most people here at MFP are not accepting of the whole gaining weight thing.

But .. I know all about it and it is hard. I did my calorie deficit thing .. and lost a ton of fat, but my body just did not want to stop
    and I got down to 7% body fat which is pretty low for most people. My face was all sunk in and my friends called me a crackhead.

But I have some suggestions ...

Eat high calorie foods ... nuts (peanuts are my fave cause they are cheap at the store) and honestly just do it. And try to just stick to the healthier things .. minimal junk food / fast food. We are here to be healthy .. and that is just not in that area. Avocado and add olive oil to your food.

If you Google "High Calorie Foods" .. you can get a whole list of the high calorie foods. You do not have to eat more .. to gain, just eat things that are going to maximize the eating you do.

I personally do not like to eat .. it is an inconvenience in my day but I do it to live. I just maximize things so that I do not have to be constantly eating in order to get my needed calories.

I stopped counting calories about 2-3 months ago and that has really helped. Same with exercise .. I just do it as the things we do here at MFP honestly are not things that people do for a lifetime.

My sister told me that counting calories is for people on diets .. and I agree. We need to learn how to be able to be in a good place .. and if that means some gaining like it does for me right now, then so be it. Nothing wrong with it.

Water .. I stopped drinking water as my body just sees that as a reason to lose weight. I never drank water before my calorie deficit phase and I was just fine.

I always eat breakfast ... 400-500 cal there and high calorie healthy options and just thru the day I am finding that I am maintaining or gaining slightly all without counting a single calorie.

I also have extra dark chocolate (not going to give up chocolate) and ice cream (you may say this is junk food .. but whatever, most of the healthy things are low calorie) whenever I want .. cause it is what I need to up that fat level.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    sugar
    http://drhyman.com/blog/2014/02/07/eggs-dont-cause-heart-attacks-sugar/#close
    This is just one link.
    More and more doctors are coming out that sugar is the main culprit
    Did you look at the rest of the page that's on? Dude's selling detox books. Maybe he can also sell me a pocket fisherman or a device that will scramble an egg while it's still inside the shell.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Lol ...

Eggs don't cause heart attacks.

Sugar don't cause heart attacks.

Fruit don't cause heart attacks.

Bread don't cause heart attacks.

Over indulgence and sitting on your *kitten* all day or under-eating and pushing your body too far or specific medical issues cause heart attacks.

It's really not that hard to fathom.
  • lunatik08
    lunatik08 Posts: 2
    Options
    I would say DO NOT over indulge. The last thing you want to do is have to lose a hell of a lot of unnecessary fat. 250-500cals extra a day should do it, along with some strength and cardio exercises. Just remember to be 250-500 calories over your BMR. Your aim is to gain 0.5lbs a week if possible. Google/youtube clean bulking for help and tips. I hope this helps!!!!
  • flatstomach_thighgap
    Options
    tone up your bod do some toning up youtube videos and youll not only gain weight but youll also look fitter
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Love4fitnesslove4food2 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Thanks
    Yes, we cut most fats out.
    The hamburger we do buy is the leanest kind we can get. If we cook it out on the grill or it doesn't bother me as much.
    For people who are trying to lose weight people say "just don't eat as much"
    And for gaining they say "Eat more"
    As everyone here knows, it's not usually that easy. :)

People intentionally trying to gain weight don't INTENTIONALLY restrict their fat intake. There's your problem. You seem to not really be invested I'm this goal--it really is "that easy"--eat normal food, stop DIETING, and the pounds will come on.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Love4fitnesslove4food2 Posts: 711 Member
    Options

It's not hard, at all.

A calorie is a calorie my friend!

I eat whatever tastes delicious and isn't very filling to make it easier to hit said calorie goal.

I guess some people are truly that dense or fail to comprehend how the human body operates. Good job my friend...and I'd eat cereal all day too if I was trying to gain weight.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Lol ...

pushing your body too far or specific medical issues cause heart attacks.

FWIW, restrictive eating disorders also put you at increased risk for heart attacks. Again, restricting and being underweight poses WAY more of a risk in certain situations than anything else.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    How to gain weight:
    1. Don't eat salmon, beets, and water for dinner

This. Seriously? This is not the meal of a person who is trying to gain weight. Add in some mashed potatoes or something, beef up your meals.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Lol ...

pushing your body too far or specific medical issues cause heart attacks.

FWIW, restrictive eating disorders also put you at increased risk for heart attacks. Again, restricting and being underweight poses WAY more of a risk in certain situations than anything else.

Oh I totally agree perhaps I didn't say it right. But I meant to say that heart attacks are caused by over straining the heart. Either by underfeeding it or overloading it. Medical conditions still excluded ofc.
  • kynsie2
    kynsie2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you Kevalicious99
    Yes I'm going to add some nuts, peanuts and probably walnuts.
    I'd rather eat the grilled salmon and spinach for supper and need to make up some calories than eat a big mac and wonder what kind of garbage I was ingesting.
    Or throw in some twinkies for dessert, that would help but much prefer healthy fruits.
    To be fit, you need to eat healthy.
    I thought this would be a good place to find health conscious people.
    Bigger portions, maybe eating the 3 meals but snacking thru the day, added to a few good suggestions I've gotten.
    Thanks
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thank you Kevalicious99
    Yes I'm going to add some nuts, peanuts and probably walnuts.
    I'd rather eat the grilled salmon and spinach for supper and need to make up some calories than eat a big mac and wonder what kind of garbage I was ingesting.
    Or throw in some twinkies for dessert, that would help but much prefer healthy fruits.
    To be fit, you need to eat healthy.
    I thought this would be a good place to find health conscious people.
    Bigger portions, maybe eating the 3 meals but snacking thru the day, added to a few good suggestions I've gotten.
    Thanks

People here "are" health conscious, but you happen to be ina gaining weight thread. Yes, fruits and vegetables are healthy and delicious, and you should eat lots of them! The problem is, they don't contain many calories. You can continue eating the way you do, but you need to add calories. Fats are high in calories! Fats from avocados, nuts, and fatty fish are good for yoiu, and they are calorie dense. Try eating whole eggs, also if you enjoy a healthy cereal in the morning add some light cream instead of milk. Just a tablespoon has 25 calories, so a cup would have around 400 calories. And it will taste delicious. Have an open mind to fats, and carbohydrates like rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes. Also if your an active person, a sweet treat like ice cream or cake is not going to hurt you and give you cancer. These are some suggestions, just trying to help, really, not attack you. You have received a lot of advice that you simply want yinrebel against.
    If you want to continue shopping in the children's aisle, that's on you. A woman's body has curves and that comes from muscle tone and fat! Please take the advice, maybe you'll enjoy the food and you will feel better about yourself when the weight is there! Good luck!