What Are Some Of Your Calorie Cutting Tricks?

Options

Replies

• chilly1470
    chilly1470 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Planning list every thing you have eaten and keep in mind what you plan to eat get the portion right and nothing is out of bounds. I still drink beer, go out for meals eat peanut butter, I put cream on my strawberrys and generally eat what i want. If I over do it I add an extra gym session, you must burn more than you intake just eat a bit less and move a bit more it may not be fast but it goes. Good luck

Amen, brother. Eat less than you burn. Burn more than you eat. Simple equation. Some want to complicate it, but it is a universal truth. You CANNOT change the physiology of the human body in that aspect.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I make half a sandwich for lunch if I use full-calorie bread and just add an extra slice of meat to fill me up. I don't drink any beverages that have calories except for my 1 beer or 1 glass of wine at night. Coffee and tea are with splenda and nonfat milk.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    A routine. I tend to want to eat the same things 4-5 times a week. And by pre-logging and pre-planning I tend to manage to stay in my calories.

Also, I buy lower calorie items, to save a handful here and there, because they add up. Also, having a 100 cal Fiber One bar is much easier to keep in mind, than a 180ish Luna one.

I don't drink, so that's helpful.

I drink water, with Mio, or another no calorie "enhancer". Lots of nummy flavors.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Good ideas ⭐️
  • lisavgagne
    lisavgagne Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I cut out wine and replaced it w/ a TON of iced tea or hot tea (just depending on my mood). I like my tea plain so basically I replaced wine w/ flavored water, LOL.

Once I get to my goal weight I will bring the wine back but in moderation to meet my maintenance calorie goals for the day.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of Sugar Free Orange Jello and put in crushed pineapple in it sounds great. I'm going to make that. Thanks
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting. I know you said "not eating", but learning how to NOT eat properly was one of the greatest gifts I've ever given myself.

Eating a diet with a heavy base in lower carbohydrate foods. I no longer low carb exclusively, but my years off and on doing it taught me a lot. It's almost impossible for me to overeat on proteins and fats, in the absence of carbs. I never, ever gained weight low carbing, despite eating always to satiation. The "worst" I did was maintain during periods I hoped to lose. This "trick" has become the basis for at least 80% of my normal diet. So now my natural inclinations sway toward a diet heavy in proteins, healthy fats, and a plethora of vegetables, with some dairy and fruits. The other 20% is whatever else.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    George Foreman grill
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Use small plates and bowls and don't serve food family style... Leave the extra food in the kitchen

Drink water instead of soda. Keep a cold pitcher of water flavored with fruit in your fridge

Replace starches with grilled or roasted vegetables

When I eat toast I skip the butter and just use jelly. I don't miss what I can't taste.

Log your exercise before you do it - this helps you feel obligated to do it!!

Use disturbing or disgusting visuals when tempted by food that doesn't fit into your daily plan. Feel free to get as graphic as you want.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing about PB2 what is it and where do you get it?
    [/quote]
    PB2 is powdered peanut butter. 45 calories and 13 fat calories for 2 tbsp. You can buy it at Popeyes here in Toronto, but I believe you can also buy it on line. It's just amazing in smoothies.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Makterbro
    Makterbro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I read the nutrition label on every food before I buy it.
    I have cut soda/juice from my diet, I only drink water and occasionally vitamin water zero.
    I usually measure everything I eat. For example, I measure the exact amount of cereal and milk I eat in cups and I will measure out a table spoon of mayo before I put any of it on my sandwich.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    And 60 calorie flax pitas! Could not live without them!

I need some of those... Where do you find them?

Tricks... Single serve steamable veggies, drinking a green drink instead of vending machine junk, portioning and counting snacks (and not lying to myself), nuts/peanut butter/cheese instead of chips, and using RunKeeper to help me motivate/track my walk/runs. Most of all what worked before was just counting honestly.
  • forevertoday
    forevertoday Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I sit at the table after dinner, before bed. I pre-log my whole day tomorrow with the things I craved today (if any), I then get up, make my lunch and dinner for the next day.

I also have herbal teas. I found 2 pretty neat flavors here, Strawberry Pavlova & Lemon Meringue Pie, they taste delish and smell devine - 3cals worth of happiness :)
  • beritrocksmyuniverse
    Options
    No yolk egg noodles in everything... 1/4 calories of regular pasta and tastes the same.
  • AnonnyM
    AnonnyM Posts: 9
    Options
    measure, log, start again ...watch the refined things. but nothing can be off limits forever just plan for the worst and also for the best
  • Jkj95
    Jkj95 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've found that if I drink around 10 servings of water (or some other low calorie liquid, like light lemonade,unsweetened or lightly sweetened tea, or diluted juice) a day, I always feel more full on less calories. This is especially helpful for me, as I used to under drink by a lot (like I'd be lucky to get half the daily recommendation of water).
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of tricks to cut out excess calories.

1) Stop eating mayo period. If your sandwich/burger feels dry add some extra pickles, tomatoes or mustard

2) Don't add oil to your foods. It's literally pure fat. If you don't want things to stick to your pan, get a non stick pan. Also if you are cooking meat let the natural fats come out and use that for lubrication.

3) Don't eat out, and if you must go out with friends or family take a protein bar. I have no problem busting out a protein bar in the middle of a restaurant and start chowing down on it. You might get harassed a little for it, but in the end eating a 300 calorie protein bar is better than eating a 1500 calorie plate at the cheese cake factory(you just saved yourself half a pound of fat).

4) Prepare you meals early and often. As the saying goes failing to plan is planing to fail. Don't wait until you are at work to figure out what you are going to eat. Wake up 30 minutes earlier and prepare yourself a healthy lunch. Not only will it be a healthy lunch but you will save yourself the 5-10 bucks from eating out.

5) Use light dressing. at 25 calories per 2 tablespoons it's a much healthier alternative to the regular 80-120 calorie dressing and to me it tastes the same.

6) Substitute lean meats like turkey, chicken, fish for high fat meats. You will save on calories and likely increase your protein intake at the same time.

7) When eating a sandwich or a burger use only one slice of bread, or if you don't mind your hands getting a bit messy go the Atkins's route and remove all the bread and simply wrap it up in lettuce.

8) Drink vodka not beer, or better yet skip alcohol completely. Not only will this save your liver, it will save your pocket book, and likely stop you from making the bad choice to have a late night binge. If you need a drink to socialize with others you have deeper psychological issues you need to take care of by seeing a therapist.

Those are some of my go to tricks that I use on a daily basis to hit my goals. Hope they help.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I should mention that I haven't cut anything out of my diet completely, but these are some strategies I use to help me effectively eat in moderation.

Salsa or lime juice on salads instead of creamy dressings
    Frozen berries blended up with a bit of almond milk and sugar instead of ice cream
    Half portion of pasta mixed up with some kind of cooked vegetable to bring it up to a full portion size (cabbage, zucchini, and carrot are my favourite vegetables to use. Or just use the veggies if you really want to cut calories)
    Lettuce wraps instead of tortillas
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I make sure I eat well as if I get hungry I am more likely to eat something I might regret.
    I haven't banned anything, I just eat smaller portions and less frequently of high calorie treats.
    Pre logging when I can
    Always take my lunch to work.
    Compromises. I have a burger but have salad not the bun.
    Cooking. I lurve my actifry, and my poacher. Plus frylite.