Runners! Do you acknowledge other runners while out forn

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I usually do a small wave and smile, and I usually get some sort of nod/wave directed at me as well. I remember once these group of guys (who weren't running, just walking) decided to cheer me on screaming "YOU CAN DO IT. KEEP IT UP!"

Double fist pump. Keeps you from kicking them.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I always give a nod or wave as long as I have the strength to do so. Saturday I had the coolest thing happen on my long run. I was running along a long uphill road when a running was coming the opposite direction along the same sidewalk I was on. I gave him my customary nod/wave. He saw me, gave me a nod then put his had up for a high five as we passed each other. That high five made my day and put spring in my step for the next 15 miles of running.

I'm a turtle and a distance runner often finishing with the back of the pack. Little moments like this are what inspired me to start running which in turn started the process of getting my life back. Seeing all the happy runners on the street in the summer made me want to be part of that and that high five was a nice little reminder that I am.

I love this! Next time I pass another runner, I'm going to high five them. I'll let you know how it goes, bidimus. :flowerforyou:

In my neighborhood, everyone waves at everyone for everything. So I wave, because I think I'd be ostracized if I didn't. LOL!
  • bidimus
    bidimus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love this! Next time I pass another runner, I'm going to high five them. I'll let you know how it goes, bidimus. :flowerforyou:

In my neighborhood, everyone waves at everyone for everything. So I wave, because I think I'd be ostracized if I didn't. LOL!

Awesome! :) I hope you get to make someones day as it did mine. Can't wait to hear how it goes.
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The nod and smile is important for two reasons:
    1: As a runner, whether you know this or not, you now belong to a secret society. If you have not received your ring in the mail, you will soon. The smile and nod is the runner secret handshake. It acknowledges you as an actual runner and not just some peasant moving quickly.
    2: Without the nod and smile how will you tell other runners "I am totally enjoying my decision to run today and do not feel at all like I am going to drop dead at any moment"?

I love this..."the secret society". That's how I feel when I'm out running. It's like we are all cheering each other on just for getting out there.

Recently a neighbor, who is an experienced runner, yelled "good job!" to be as I hobbled past his house. It gave me a boost for days afterward! So yes...I always say hi and if I see someone struggling, I yell "good job" or "you've got this". Paying it forward...
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Well I trail run on hills, so generally one person has to move over to make room for the person passing or going the other way. You pretty much have to talk to them to say "behind you" or "may I please pass?" and almost everyone does say "hi." I get a little annoyed if I say hi to someone and they don't answer.

Recently an older couple were walking on the trail and the woman said, "How are you?" I said, "Good! Thanks. How are you?" She said, "Oh that's good that you can run and talk at the same time." I said, "I'm not running very fast." She said, "That's not the point and I'm proud of you." I thought that was very sweet.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Yep! But my city tends to do that everywhere (unless it's a crowded place like a mall because that's all you'd have time to do if you had to lol). I do it walking, biking, roller bladding, running, etc.

ETA: Reading these, people are awesome! I want to high five someone too!
  • tabauknight
    tabauknight Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started running about 5 week ago using a Couch to 5k program. I just ventured on the 5th of July to the park and started running and notices mostly all the runners gave a hand wave as motivation and one person even said "great job keep going" as he passed me.

So I would say yes acknowledge your co-runners also.
  • EmpireBusiness
    EmpireBusiness Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I usually just nod.

If it's a hot girl, I wave and try to say "hi" in as sexy of a way as possible while running.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I nod and/or wave at everyone, except that brad who tried to pick a fight with my dog.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I started walking and notice an older man jogging but we always crossed paths on the other side of the street or a block apart. Then as we passes he would give me a "hey buddy". That change to a high five. One day we stopped and talked. Now I look for Jack everyday for my high five "hey buddy". All others get a good morning.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I always give a smile and a wave, and it's almost always reciprocated. I live near a notoriously "unfriendly" city, so it's nice to see runners stepping outside of the stereotype.
    I remember when I first started running I was intimidated about waving to what I considered to be the "real" runners (you know what I mean.... I'm talking about those 0 .5% body fat gazelles bounding past me as I struggle along like a hyperventilating moose). I irrationally thought they would laugh at me for not being part of the club. lol.
  • jbrownnolan
    jbrownnolan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Normally I give a little side glance to see if they are peaking at me, I never put forth the premature smile and nod, if they smile and nod first then I smile and nod, if they continue to look at the ground I look right back at the ground. Nothing like giving the smile and nod and the other runner leave you hanging. As for the walkers and bikers, I pretty much ignore them, unless they look like they need a smile and some motivation. The waves I save for the vehicles that don't turn me to road kill.

There are other circumstances that the other person might get a little more than a smile and nod, if the weather conditions are CRAP but I pass by another runner or biker, I'll offer up the high five and a little giggle with a big smile, (and I say runner or bikers, just because, when the sky opens up as if "The Nothing" is on it's way, there are no walkers, they quickly turn into runners LOL).

Last week I got my first and only sweaty hug that ended up throwing off my pace by 15 seconds, I literally ran into one of my old students from my cycle class and they weren't letting me go without one LMAO :D, pretty gross but I had a big smile for the rest of my run :D
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if I can sense that I might pass :noway: out if I try and speak or raise my hand, I will give my best head nod to acknowledge another runner/walker. :flowerforyou:

I try to be friendly, but sometimes, if it is blazing hot or 90% humidity, I just don't have it in me after mile 3 or 4. Usually I do give a small wave and nod to all the people I pass. And, if a car goes out of its way to avoid running me down or making me stop I holler THANK YOU!
  • RunDomRun24
    RunDomRun24 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I generally say "Hi", or I smile or give a quick wave. I don't get offended if they don't respond - they might be in their own bubble which I respect. heck, I probably am in my bubble sometimes and don't even see other runners. If the circumstances warrant it, I may even say "Nice day".
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Answer to the Question: Yes

But not so unusual though. When I take my kid out for walks around the village we typically give greetings to the other walkers too.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I definitely give a hi, wave, nod or smile depending on how much energy I have at the time. Those people I see at the park often will get more than that and sometimes we even stop running/walking to have a chat. I had a gentleman who walks on the sidewalk next to the park stop me one day to tell me he has noticed all the weight I lost and how I am running now and not just walking. Hell...I think that was over a year ago really and it still makes me happy to think about it. I give him a big wave and smile when I see him b/c every time I see him it reminds me of his compliment and makes me feel good.

Another good reason to be friendly is that just in case I pass out, I want someone to call 911 for me and not just step over me b/c they think I always ignore them. :smile:

And ALWAYS the smile AND wave to cars who stop so that I don't have to especially when riding my bike. It just takes so much energy to get that momentum going again sometime...
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Men get the head node, women get the slight wave. I feel like I have to give the extra effort wave to women so they don't assume rapey vibes are coming from me.
  • beatnik236
    beatnik236 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I will either: smile, say 'Good Morning or Evening', sing, nod, wave, say nice dog, or somehow acknowledge their existence
  • lisajtubs
    lisajtubs Posts: 62
    Options
    I live in a small village and go running through surrounding villages. it is expected that you acknowledge everybody regardless of their mode of transport! The trick however, is to not be too friendly and get sucked into a conversation. I usually say hi to other joggers but i try to stay away in case i drip sweat on them or i just smell bad!!

I always get a hello back, apart from this one girl in the village who point blank ignores me every time i see her. and the b*&%h runs faster than me too so I cant even chase her down!
  • lisajtubs
    lisajtubs Posts: 62
    Options
    I live in a small village and go running through surrounding villages. it is expected that you acknowledge everybody regardless of their mode of transport! The trick however, is to not be too friendly and get sucked into a conversation. I usually say hi to other joggers but i try to stay away in case i drip sweat on them or i just smell bad!!

I always get a hello back, apart from this one girl in the village who point blank ignores me every time i see her. and the b*&%h runs faster than me too so I cant even chase her down!