Any c25k newbies?

Options

Replies

• OldSportOldsport
    OldSportOldsport Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting - on the third day of week 1 today. I'm doing it on the treadmill instead of outside, setting it as 3.2km/h for the walk bit and 5.6km/h for the run bit. Are these okay speeds or too slow? (I should mention that my legs are kind of short and the 5.6 actually feels like a run to me - I sweat a lot during it).

How do you feel whilst doing it? On the run phase you should be able to hold a conversation, if not you are going too fast. You can always go faster if you feel it is too slow bearing in mind the above comment. However I found that running outside meant that I listened to my body, the first 4 weeks I did on a treadmill (aircon broke, I went outside, no intention of running inside again at the moment). I went slower outside when I was not dialed in to a pace on the dreadmill. YMMV. Most of all enjoy it.

Thanks for the encouragement! I don't think I could talk during the run phase - I'm really unfit and usually gulping air or staring desperately at the clock willing the minute to end, so I suppose I could knock it down a notch or two. The treadmill works for me because it's slightly kinder to my feet than a path/road is.
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I finished c25k last year, but then was unable to run anymore once I moved (I can only run on treadmills because of knees and slightly asthmatic).
    So I started again this week after FINALLY moving and joining a gym. I'm doing one day of each week instead of a full week until I find where my body's fitness level is at.
    Finished week 3 today, so next time I'll try week 4.
    I absolutely love this program.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting - on the third day of week 1 today. I'm doing it on the treadmill instead of outside, setting it as 3.2km/h for the walk bit and 5.6km/h for the run bit. Are these okay speeds or too slow? (I should mention that my legs are kind of short and the 5.6 actually feels like a run to me - I sweat a lot during it).

How do you feel whilst doing it? On the run phase you should be able to hold a conversation, if not you are going too fast. You can always go faster if you feel it is too slow bearing in mind the above comment. However I found that running outside meant that I listened to my body, the first 4 weeks I did on a treadmill (aircon broke, I went outside, no intention of running inside again at the moment). I went slower outside when I was not dialed in to a pace on the dreadmill. YMMV. Most of all enjoy it.

Thanks for the encouragement! I don't think I could talk during the run phase - I'm really unfit and usually gulping air or staring desperately at the clock willing the minute to end, so I suppose I could knock it down a notch or two. The treadmill works for me because it's slightly kinder to my feet than a path/road is.

You definitely need to go slower. The aim is to finish them, this is not a race against anyone else. You will enjoy it more if you get to finish the workouts and look forward to the next one. Do not worry about what anyone else thinks, most people will not notice, but you will notice how much stronger you get but completing each workout. . You've done the hardest part starting. Remember though have fun and good luck.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I've started this too! I finished week 1 last week. This week I am behind, but week 2, day 1 is tonight. Looking forward to it!
  • heidispideymfp
    heidispideymfp Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I intend starting on Monday, if the weather holds out.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    What is so special about Monday, why not start today?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Please help me, I'm totally lost in this thread. How did you guys start this program?? I want to join a training program of some sort.
    There's a group dedicated to C25K:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

There are threads about anything and everything you can think of to ask as a newbie runner. Come on over!
  • cookiegy
    cookiegy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    New to Myfitnesspal, just joined today but I'm doing Week 5 day 3 tomorrow! Slightly nervous to say the least :smile:
  • sjeffr
    sjeffr Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    New to Myfitnesspal, just joined today but I'm doing Week 5 day 3 tomorrow! Slightly nervous to say the least :smile:
    Let us know how it goes, I was a nervous wreck beforehand. I'm doing Week 6 day 3 today after work. 22 minute run! Looking forward to getting this one under my belt.

I think after this run today I might finally feel comfortable signing up for one for an upcoming 5k.
  • DznyGrlSD
    DznyGrlSD Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I only got through a week and a half of C25K before my knee gave out. I woke up 1 morning and could barely walk.

I have "weak knees" according to the orthopedic institute and if I want to be a runner - they said I need physical therapy. Not sure how much I believe of that but I haven't tried running again...kind of disappointing.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I only got through a week and a half of C25K before my knee gave out. I woke up 1 morning and could barely walk.

I have "weak knees" according to the orthopedic institute and if I want to be a runner - they said I need physical therapy. Not sure how much I believe of that but I haven't tried running again...kind of disappointing.
    If you need physical therapy to run, I would do it, because there's nothing special about running. So if you need physical therapy to be able to do it, chances are you would benefit regardless.
  • lubylu37
    lubylu37 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    OMG! Week 5 Day 3! Run for 20mins without a break .... YOU WANT ME TO DO WHAT???? I managed to do Day 2 which had a walk in the middle and found that fine but for 20mins without a break, now that's taking it to the next level ... think I'll do that one this afternoon and see how I get on.

IPOD fully charged and lots of healthy food before I try this one. :D

Wish me luck!
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've just done Week 5 Run 2. Got the 20min run (Run 3) to look forward to (gulp!) on Monday. However, yesterday I did a 10.5 mile bike ride and doing the same tomorrow (Sun), so my C25K 'rest' days aren't exactly resting!

GOOD LUCK for this afternoon lubylu!!
  • lubylu37
    Options

Cookiegy, how did you get one with Week 5 Day 3, I have it to do today and I'm a little worried to say the least at the thought of running/jogging for 20mins solid, I'm sure I can do it, but it's the thought of not having a walk. I know you can have a walk as there is nothing stopping me but I'd like to do what's asked of me lol.
  • lubylu37
    Options
    I've just done Week 5 Run 2. Got the 20min run (Run 3) to look forward to (gulp!) on Monday. Hpwever, yesterday I did a 10.5 mile bike ride and doing the same tomorrow (Sun), so my C25K 'rest' days aren't exactly resting!

Cheers Snoringcat, I'm really not looking forward to it but will just get on with it and see how things go. I have a dog so my rest days aren't really resting too, but no point in worrying .... it ain't going to go away so tackle it head on and see what damage I can do to it (not me!)

Good luck to you on Monday and don't over do it this weekend, enjoy yourself :happy:
  • AglaeaC
    Options

Cookiegy, how did you get one with Week 5 Day 3, I have it to do today and I'm a little worried to say the least at the thought of running/jogging for 20mins solid, I'm sure I can do it, but it's the thought of not having a walk. I know you can have a walk as there is nothing stopping me but I'd like to do what's asked of me lol.
    I'm obviously not Cookiegy, but picture it like W5D2 plus the walk interval in between. Those few minutes aren't that many so you just run them instead of walk.

It's all in the head, if you've done successfully W5D2, your body is ready for W5D3 and the only thing between running it and not running it is your mind; whether you believe you can or not.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I've just done Week 5 Run 2. Got the 20min run (Run 3) to look forward to (gulp!) on Monday. Hpwever, yesterday I did a 10.5 mile bike ride and doing the same tomorrow (Sun), so my C25K 'rest' days aren't exactly resting!

Cheers Snoringcat, I'm really not looking forward to it but will just get on with it and see how things go. I have a dog so my rest days aren't really resting too, but no point in worrying .... it ain't going to go away so tackle it head on and see what damage I can do to it (not me!)

Good luck to you on Monday and don't over do it this weekend, enjoy yourself :happy:
    Rest day means rest from running. You are actually encouraged to do something else on some of the "rest days". Running is very stressful compared to walking, biking, etc. so that's what the body needs rest from.
  • emalethmoon
    emalethmoon Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm here to offer encouragement!

I finished C25k in July.

I was never able to finish running a mile when tested in high school. I hated running with ever fiber of my being.

Now, I run for half an hour 3 to 4 times a week. I don't LOVE it but I like it and I'm getting better. It's much faster than walking for fitness and I can tell that my cardiovascular health is much improved. I don't get winded walking up stairs anymore.

Stick with it, you can do it! I stared the program at around 250lbs and now I weight 217. It's great!
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm here to offer encouragement!

I finished C25k in July.

I was never able to finish running a mile when tested in high school. I hated running with ever fiber of my being.

Now, I run for half an hour 3 to 4 times a week. I don't LOVE it but I like it and I'm getting better. It's much faster than walking for fitness and I can tell that my cardiovascular health is much improved. I don't get winded walking up stairs anymore.

Stick with it, you can do it! I stared the program at around 250lbs and now I weight 217. It's great!

Well done!! Like you I HATED running at school and haven't done any since I left. Never saw myself as a runner. Started C25K, 51 yrs of age & I am really enjoying it. I'm going to enter a 5K in Autumn and am hoping to train on up to 10K.
  • stefboston83
    stefboston83 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started the night before last. I got 1.8 miles in the 30 minutes. I'm assuming that isn't stellar, but I felt good. I like challenges not running. The running this time made me feel good though as if I had accomplished some self feat. I really like the pic of the map where it shows how far you jogged/walked. So far I'm loving it. Day two is tonight. I am eight lbs down from 26th of last month. I decreased my calories and cut out bad stuff such as breads. My fear of diabetes is helping. Good luck to everyone.