Any c25k newbies?

Options

Replies

• cookiegy
    cookiegy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Well done all of you, just finished W7D1 , and going away next week on vacation so not sure if I'll get any running done :(

Still, I'll pick it up when I get back - although I'll have to make it through like you did Carla!

Lubylu - you'll get there - if not next week then the week after. I'll see you post on the graduation message board :)
  • tennisgirl444
    tennisgirl444 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just finished W2D2! Running has become strangely addictive in a masochistic way :-)

Two questions: what do you all do for soreness on your off days? I've been sore every off day so far. Second, anyone find super accurate GPS devices for their phone or otherwise? I've been using mapmyrun and it keeps saying I'm running significantly farther than I am (like 3.5 miles versus my actualy 2.5). I've started to just use it as a timer and mapped my run after and calculated speed, but that's a bit tedious. I can't decide if this is due to my excessive arm movement when walking and tired (I like to swing those arms!) or if my cell phone coverage is spotty in certain areas on the trail.

Thanks all!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I took a 5-day vacation that turned into a 2-week exercise break but I went back to C25k a few days ago and started week 5. I had no idea that workout 2 had 8-minute runs until I was 5 minutes into my first one and saw it had 3 minutes left! I pushed through but had to do a 2-minute incline walk segment in the middle of the second 8-minute run. I have a feeling I'll be doing week 5 for a month.
  • oofdieblunk
    oofdieblunk Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is the dreaded Week 5 day 3 workout- I seriously have been looking forward to it all weekend! Wish me luck!
  • carpetbelly
    carpetbelly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    good luck with that!

today i actually finally managed my first w1d1 as it says to do...
    which is an improvement indeedy! :D
    I'm happy with that. Now to start getting into it more ;)
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    The 20 minuter, if you have diligently followed the programme, is a mind exercise. As odd as it sounds I felt so good doing the 20 minuter I went on to do 30 minutes and with the warm up and cool down did 5k in 40 minutes. At graduation, 3 weeks later 5 km was 32:24. You can do it, trust in the programme, many have succeeded with it. The best piece of advice, do the run segments at a pace you can hold a conversation at. When I slowed down, my enjoyment and confidence went up. I have faith in you all. You need to have faith in you
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Week 5, day 3 tomorrow...(goal? not puking)
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Week 5, day 3 tomorrow...(goal? not puking)

Slow down :wink:
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Finished W5D1 today. Went outside for the first time since I started the program. I ran in a park that was unfamiliar to me. Finished my workout without difficulty. Thought the running path was a loop. Turns out it wasn't and I was over 2 miles away from where I parked my car. So I had to go back 2 miles in the opposite direction just so I could leave. So I figured I would run to get me there faster (even though I run so slowly). Was able to do 2 more 5 minute runs and then briskly walked the rest. I am sore but excited for W5D2!! Stupid park!

I use the Zenlabs C25K app and it tells you at the half way mark so you can turn around. It's free and might be worth downloading ;)
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Week 7 Run1 tomorrow. Managed the 25 min run at end of Week 6 yesterday. No runs/walks now - it's all continuous!
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Man, week 5. It goes from 5-minute runs to 8-minute to 20-minutes. I'm not a wimp but I'm not spending 20 minutes at 85%+ HR and no, I can't run any slower.

I once had a sports medicine doc say I had really loose knee ligaments that allowed a lot of lateral motion. I wonder if that's behind why running is so hard for me. I guess I'll try some knee supports and see if that helps. I doubt it will but it'd be nice to know for sure and what's another $30.

Speaking of spending-- I picked up Zombies Run 3 and ZR 5K Training recently and have been wanting to try those but I think I need to be outdoors and need to buy MP3s to accompany them. I did the first segment of each on the treadmill with playlists off and accelerometer off (because my phone sits on the console) and they sounded identical, too, which seems fishy.
  • oofdieblunk
    oofdieblunk Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I use the Zenlabs C25K app and it tells you at the half way mark so you can turn around. It's free and might be worth downloading ;)
    [/quote]
    That is the one I have. My thinking was that I would eventually get back to my car but the workout was over and I still hadn't reached it so I had to go the opposite way- most walking trails are loops in parks but obviously this one wasn't. I learned my lesson!

By the way, killed W5D3! Ran an extra 5 mins. We will see how week 6 goes!
  • nokitchen
    nokitchen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm also using the Zenlabs C25K app. I'm just did week 2, day 1. So far the app is pretty good but I've got some questions for fellow users.

1) Is the calorie count about right? It only gave me credit for 150 calories for today's outing, and only 143 for week one. For science purposes, I've also been running (heh) the MapMyWalk app for the same workout and it gave me two or three times that amount of calorie burn. I know that's high -- if I could burn 350 calories with 20 minutes of walking-jogging with two five-minute walks I wouldn't be fat in the first place! :-) But 150 seems low. Any thoughts?

2) The music part of the app only seems to be finding my itunes playlists, not my Google ones. Is there a way to make it look harder on my device to find playlists?

3) After doing it right the first time, the app failed to communicate with Facebook in either of my prior two runs even though the app is selected and seems logged into Facebook. Is there a way to reboot the thing (I've restarted the phone -- that doesn't do it).

59988589.png
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Are you using the free app or the Pro? I've used the free Zen Labs app and while it worked great for the actual workout, unless I'm totally daft, it doesn't seem to display how far I ran or my pace.

As far as calories, if you don't have one, get a HRM that comes with a chest strap. They are much more accurate than what a website will estimate for you as far as calories burned.
  • nokitchen
    nokitchen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm using the free version. It syncs with this site. It said that I ran for nine minutes at 5.2 MPH and walked for 22 minutes at 3 MPH. That comes to 1.88 miles at an average speed of 3.64 MPH. The times were correct. MapMyWalk says that I walked for 1.97 miles at an average speed of 3.97 MPH. So the difference in terms of miles and speed were pretty small -- small enough that small GPS errors in MMW and the timing of starting and stopping the apps could account for more than all of the difference. I don' t know whether the app is actually counting. I don't know whether the app actually records the speeds or just assumes that a beginner runs and walks about that fast -- I suspect the latter, since my prior workout used the exact same speeds to a first decimal point.

But the calories for that run were radically different -- 150 for the C25K app and 341 for MMW (Actually, I think it's this site that assigns the calories).

I'm mostly just curious about the mechanics and want to be a little closer to right -- I'm a good 40 pounds away from thinking I'd benefit much from a chest-strappy kind of thing.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Man, week 5. It goes from 5-minute runs to 8-minute to 20-minutes. I'm not a wimp but I'm not spending 20 minutes at 85%+ HR and no, I can't run any slower.

I once had a sports medicine doc say I had really loose knee ligaments that allowed a lot of lateral motion. I wonder if that's behind why running is so hard for me. I guess I'll try some knee supports and see if that helps. I doubt it will but it'd be nice to know for sure and what's another $30.

Speaking of spending-- I picked up Zombies Run 3 and ZR 5K Training recently and have been wanting to try those but I think I need to be outdoors and need to buy MP3s to accompany them. I did the first segment of each on the treadmill with playlists off and accelerometer off (because my phone sits on the console) and they sounded identical, too, which seems fishy.

I just finished ZR 5K and am a couple of episodes into ZR3. It's not fishy at all - ZR 5K happens between episodes 1 and 2 of ZR3. ZR 5K includes episode 1 from ZR3 so you know how the story starts. It's not even an actual 5K training session, just a free-form do whatever the heck you want. The training starts with session 2 and the walk/run intervals.

You will want to be outdoors to use the GPS instead of the accelerometer. I run on an indoor track most times, and it's just not big enough, I suppose. The tracking is always completely wonky. On the other hand, when I do run outside, the tracking works fine.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    stealthq- Thanks for explaining about the identical ZR workout. I'll plan to take it outdoors in winter. Why can't you do it on a treadmill? Does it need the GPS cues for the experience? I tried to do The Walk outdoors and for that I was constantly having to interact with my phone (which isn't easy out in the sun while walking dogs without reading glasses!) so I thought ZR might be better inside, sitting on the console. Though it doesn't make much sense a running app would need people to be checking their screen and pushing buttons.

nokitchen- 341 calories for under 2 miles sounds like too much. Usually roughly 100 calories a mile is about right (more if you're obese, though).
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm using the free version. It syncs with this site. It said that I ran for nine minutes at 5.2 MPH and walked for 22 minutes at 3 MPH. That comes to 1.88 miles at an average speed of 3.64 MPH. The times were correct. MapMyWalk says that I walked for 1.97 miles at an average speed of 3.97 MPH. So the difference in terms of miles and speed were pretty small -- small enough that small GPS errors in MMW and the timing of starting and stopping the apps could account for more than all of the difference. I don' t know whether the app is actually counting. I don't know whether the app actually records the speeds or just assumes that a beginner runs and walks about that fast -- I suspect the latter, since my prior workout used the exact same speeds to a first decimal point.

But the calories for that run were radically different -- 150 for the C25K app and 341 for MMW (Actually, I think it's this site that assigns the calories).

I'm mostly just curious about the mechanics and want to be a little closer to right -- I'm a good 40 pounds away from thinking I'd benefit much from a chest-strappy kind of thing.

Wow, not to sound stupid, but I didn't even know the Zenlabs calculates calories burned on it's own. I assumed it was this site that did it also LOL I too use Mapmyrun at the same time and never really compared. Guess I should look into it. As for the music, I usually bring up the music then I hit the playlists button at the top of the screen and it shows all of mine. For the facebook posting, once you have signed in it should stay in the app, but you have to hit the send button at the top of the screen at the end of the workout. When mine missed it one day, I let it run beside me while I sat on the couch and at the end I hit send so it would track on facebook. It just says you completed the week and day, no other data so you could try that.
  • ftrobbie
    Options

Wow, not to sound stupid, but I didn't even know the Zenlabs calculates calories burned on it's own. I assumed it was this site that did it also LOL I too use Mapmyrun at the same time and never really compared. Guess I should look into it. As for the music, I usually bring up the music then I hit the playlists button at the top of the screen and it shows all of mine. For the facebook posting, once you have signed in it should stay in the app, but you have to hit the send button at the top of the screen at the end of the workout. When mine missed it one day, I let it run beside me while I sat on the couch and at the end I hit send so it would track on facebook. It just says you completed the week and day, no other data so you could try that.

I do not think you are sounding stupid, I have never seen zen labs calculate calories. If it does I think it is interacting with something else. I am using the C210k free version and I do not remember entering any weight data, so not sure how it would differentiate between my burn and someone else's even if it knew the distance. YMMV. Personally I have a pedometer and use that for working out all bipedal energy burns anyway. It is accurate enough for my purposes.
  • amyjay1973
    amyjay1973 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the program for a couple of months. I am still on week one due to my weight and knee pain. I enjoy it but am going at my own pace.